On One 456- Mtbr.com

Thread: On One 456

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

On One 456

I am looking at the On One 456 for possibly building up a AM hardtail. The price and the fact that it is steel make it appealing. I would like to hear from others who are riding them. What do you think of the 456?

Also, I am about 6'2 and On One recommends the 20". Are there any taller riders setup with a 20" frame?

BTW, I have also been looking at the Surly instigator but it seems like it would be a little heavier.

Thanks

mtbr member
    I'm 6'2" as well and ride a 456. It's the first bike that fits me perfectly (20"). It's got a longer top tube than others and that's just what I needed. The head angle is aggressive so it really wants to be pointed down something steep and gnarly instead of flat/long distance stuff. The steel has a little give to it that my alum. bikes didn't (which is nice because of the HT). I haven't had it long but I'm still madly in love with the geometry. Don't know if shorter guys would like it as much as us tall guys, but it's just what I needed.
    I'd say go for it since it's such an affordable frame. You're really getting a outstanding quality frame for that price. I was also afraid the 20" would be a little big for me (due to the long TT) but it's perfect.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks for the info. It is really helpful. I'm actually used to a frame thats aggressive and wants to go down since my primary ride is a Yeti 575.

What stem and fork length are you running on it?

mtbr member
    MAnitou Minute 1:00 @ 130mm in most cases.
    I've got a 110mm stem on now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

question

Col,
    My current ride is a XL Yeti 575 with a 25.2 top tube. It fits great. On Ones site lists the 20" 456 at 23.9 TT. Should I be concerned with that much of a difference?

mtbr member
    That's a noticeable difference but you could run a little longer stem and viola! If you're 6'2", I wouldn't want to go any larger on the frame size...it's gonna drive like a truck then.

Members who have read this thread: 0