Offset/rake on Zion 26" rigid fork?- Mtbr.com
    ong
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Offset/rake on Zion 26" rigid fork?

I can't believe they don't post this statistic... how can you spec a fork without knowing how it will affect your geometry? Does anyone know what the rake is? I wrote to Jenson, and they said they don't know. (Um, maybe you could measure one?)

I'm basically trying to increase trail on my Xtracycle by swapping out its current rigid fork for one with less rake... the Zion is certainly inexpensive enough, but I don't know if it will do any good.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    i've got one sitting in my basement. exactly how and what do you measure to get the rake.

ong
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Well, if you imagine or construct a straight line down the middle of the steerer tube, rake would be the distance between that line and the center of the dropout. You could also imagine a parallel line passing through the center of the dropout (i.e., the center of the axle), and rake would be the distance between those lines.

If you clamped a straightedge to the back of the steerer, you could measure the distance between that and the dropout, then subtract half the outer diameter of the steerer tube. Let me know if you get around to it -- no worries if that sounds like too much trouble! Thanks.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ong
    I can't believe they don't post this statistic... how can you spec a fork without knowing how it will affect your geometry? Does anyone know what the rake is? I wrote to Jenson, and they said they don't know. (Um, maybe you could measure one?)

I'm basically trying to increase trail on my Xtracycle by swapping out its current rigid fork for one with less rake... the Zion is certainly inexpensive enough, but I don't know if it will do any good.

Thanks!
    Jenson use to have the offset on their site: 43mm for both the 26" and 29" forks.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

ong
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Oh, cool, thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0