Nukeproof Scout Questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Nukeproof Scout Questions

Iíve been riding rigid or hardtail MTBs for the past 27 years. Iím currently on a 2014 Rockhopper Comp that Iíve done some work on. Iím thinking itís time to take advantage of all of the advancements that have happened in the past several years and get a new hardtail. Granted, I realize based on inventory this wont be a quick purchase but I thought Iíd ask a few questions that hopefully some members here can help with.

Iím in central NC and ride a mix of single track (more flowy than technical), gravel roads/trails, and the occasional moderately technical single track.

Iím liking the ideal of the more modern trail HTs giving me a little more capability to ride more challenging trails.

Questions I have on the Nukeproof Scout:

1. How is this bike as a XC bike? Iím not a racer, simply wondering about its capabilities on XC type terrain.

2. Iím leaning towards a 29er (thats what my RH is). Can anyone comment on the ride differences between the 27.5+ and 29er Scouts?

3. The other end of the spectrum Iím considering is the Ibis DV9 or Santa Cruz Chameleon as they seem to fit my current trail riding profile. Can anyone comment on how the Scout rides compared to the Ibis or SC bikes?

4. Finally, Iíd probably go with the expert build, although Iím tempted to get the frame and do a custom build myself. Any experiences yall can share on a custom build would be helpful.

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Also, any feedback on frame sizes would be helpful. From the little bit Iíve read online it sounds like the Scouts run a size smaller to comparable frame sizes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Actually, I don't have much to offer in terms of Scout experience, but if i were building a hard tail, the Scout would be on my short list, along the Chameleon. Have you thought about getting a short travel dual suspension? That's why I originally bought my Yeti ASR-5 and love it. Handles everything in NC, but gets a little rough in the mountains. The Transition Scout and Santa Cruz 5010 would also fit that bill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NightOWL View Post
    Actually, I don't have much to offer in terms of Scout experience, but if i were building a hard tail, the Scout would be on my short list, along the Chameleon. Have you thought about getting a short travel dual suspension? That's why I originally bought my Yeti ASR-5 and love it. Handles everything in NC, but gets a little rough in the mountains. The Transition Scout and Santa Cruz 5010 would also fit that bill.
    I havenít given much thought to FS at all. Iím a hardtail fan through and through. I should probably look at a short travel FS, but I just really love the thought of a gnarley HT.

mtbr member
    Answers on the Nukeproof Scout:

1. How is this bike as a XC bike?

I've ridden my Scout 290 in several Endurance events and it's done fine. If you went custom build, you could build it up as a light trail weapon or like mine i.e. an All Mountain bomber.

2. Iím leaning towards a 29er (thats what my RH is).

Go with the 290... Although, I do also own a 29er Plus FS mule and it's a riot.

3. The other end of the spectrum Iím considering is the Ibis DV9 or Santa Cruz Chameleon as they seem to fit my current trail riding profile. Can anyone comment on how the Scout rides compared to the Ibis or SC bikes?

Can't comment on above bikes.
    Can state that my Scout 290 is the favorite bike I've owned to date.

4. Finally, Iíd probably go with the expert build, although Iím tempted to get the frame and do a custom build myself.

Back to your having an XC capable whip. You could build it up with light wheels and tires. Two pot brakes. A 130mm Fox 34, or similar and it'll XC just fine.

PS - as I eluded to earlier, my steed is built up as an AM shredder.
    Highlights:
    -140mm Yari fork
    -Four pot brakes
    -DT Swiss hubs on Kore 3.0 (eyelet'd rims)
    -180mm dropper
    -780mm wide bars and 50mm stem
    -2.5 Maxxis Assegai up front w/ 2.6 Specialized Butcher out back
    -30t Oval chainring on 11spd Shimano SLX drivetrain, 11-46t Sunrace cassette

Re, sizing I'm 6ft and am riding a large.

Best of luck building up your Nukeproof Scout.

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Thank you! I appreciate all of that feedback.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    There is also the Commencal Meta for a HT option.

https://www.commencalusa.com/PBSCCat...BCATID=3878970

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NightOWL View Post
    There is also the Commencal Meta for a HT option.

https://www.commencalusa.com/PBSCCat...BCATID=3878970
    Intriguing. I like the geometry and itís well specíd for the price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eggsalad View Post
    Intriguing. I like the geometry and itís well specíd for the price.
    Don't be tempted by these heretics!

Get a NP Scout 290!

You won't regret it

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I had a couple of questions about the Scout 290 too. I'm evaluating building up a do it all hardtail and am looking for a frame that is fairly compliant. I realize that all things being equal an aluminum frame won't be as compliant as a steel/chromoly or titanium but I wanted to evaluate all options. I really like the look of the Scout and it seems to get really solid reviews. I'm curious at how it would stack up from a compliance perspective to the Specialized Fuse Expert or Kona Honzo DL.

I was also wondering about the low BB. Does anyone find they are getting a lot of pedal strikes with such a low BB? I figure I'd run 170mm cranks but it's still has the lowest BB out of all the bikes I'm evaluating. My current bike has a shorter wheelbase than the Scout and a BB height around 315. I currently don't have any issues and I'm running 175mm cranks so I'm hoping the Scout would be fine on the trails I ride.

Thanks

mtbr member
    170mm cranks & no pedal strikes here.

Some call the ride harsh.

Speed smoothes most things out

If you get the right wheel set matched with the right tires, you'll be a pig in swill!!

I also run a 140mm fork on my '17 Scout 290 frame.

This keeps things clear, slack & capable.

I'll never sell my Scout 290...

Get one and you won't regret it