• 11-16-2006
    CHUMBAevo
    Now Offering Custom Frames on All Models
    All of our frames, including the XCL, EVO, and the F5 will now be offered with a custom fit to match your riding style and your body. We've made bikes for people as short as 4'11 and as tall as 6'7. The 5 inch version of the EVO, the VF1, will also be offered as a custom frame. We can use scandium, 7 and 6 series aluminums, and can also produce many parts in carbon. If you want a roadbike, we can do that too. For more info., shoot me an e-mail with your phone number at [email protected].
  • 11-17-2006
    chucko58
    Great news! How would someone go about getting measured for a custom frame? What's a ballpark price differential for custom vs. off-the-rack? Thanks.
  • 11-17-2006
    CHUMBAevo
    Depending on what you want done to your frame, the price will be anywhere from $2,000 - 2,500. For sizing, we will discuss what you are looking for over the phone, and then mail you a sizing/fit sheet that you can take to your local bicycle shop or do yourself. Hope this helps. Give us a call at 714-986-9180 for more details.
  • 11-17-2006
    scruffylooking
    Sweet!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    All of our frames, including the XCL, EVO, and the F5 will now be offered with a custom fit to match your riding style and your body.

Alan, that's super cool. Have any pictures of said customs? I remember the one awkward super big bike. :skep: Probably don't need to see that one again. :D

Mmmm... a lighter 6 inch Evo would be awesome. What kind of paint or finish options are there other than PC? Ano? Raw?

Picture pictures pictures! :p
  • 11-17-2006
    thirdy lopez
    louie-loowa
    to you guys at chumba,

making my dream bike more interesting!
    way to go alan!!
  • 11-17-2006
    CHUMBAevo
    Yes, we can do almost anything -- we'll post some pics up soon..
  • 11-19-2006
    hardway
    right on Alan, that's awsome. my m/l evo fits me great, so I'm not dissapointed I didn't get the custom fit option when I bought.
  • 11-19-2006
    crisillo
    Awesome news!
  • 11-25-2006
    mxer
    how about a lighter evo with 7.5 inches travel and an internal gearbox?
  • 01-04-2007
    boogenman
    This is great news. I really like the F5, I had an F4 2 years ago and liked almost everything about the bike.

Any info on getting a cane creek double barrel on there? I have one from my currrent ride and would love for it to work. I know the eye to eye and stroke are right but the boys at CC need more than that for it to work.
  • 01-23-2007
    chas_martel
    How about a lighter XCL ????

Seriously.
  • 01-24-2007
    CHUMBAevo
    is being an extra pound lighter going to make you that much faster?
  • 01-25-2007
    blackagness
    Quote:

No?..
  • 01-25-2007
    CHUMBAevo
    after spending some time on the xcl, if you still believe it should be lighter, let me know. by and large, the overwhelming majority of people who spent time on the xcl thought the stiffness of the bike given its weight was impressive....
  • 01-29-2007
    chas_martel
    Quote:

Maybe, maybe not. I just got that want my cake and eat it too syndrom........

And I don't know that you can ever be too light................given that
    your also always strong enough.
  • 01-30-2007
    CHUMBAevo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chas_martel
    Maybe, maybe not. I just got that want my cake and eat it too syndrom........

And I don't know that you can ever be too light................given that
    your also always strong enough.

Hello,

we think that the lateral rigidity gained by using thicker tubing and linkage pieces outweigh the benefit of a slightly lighter bike, within reason of course, but to each his own..!

A.
  • 01-30-2007
    blackagness
    Quote:

Hello,

we think that the lateral rigidity gained by using thicker tubing and linkage pieces outweigh the benefit of a slightly lighter bike, within reason of course, but to each his own..!

A.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
  • 01-31-2007
    tonycan
    EVO lightness
    After 2 months and 14 rides on my EVO and logging about 280 km of climbing I have found the EVO to be a very ridable climber. I am VERY, VERY surprised that there is practically no bob with my DHX air. My bike weighs 31and a half pounds and I'm keeping up with 28 pound ellsworth and Titus bikes on the climb.:thumbsup:

Also in the past month I have seen 4 ELLSWORTH EPIPHANY rocker arms crack and break (including mine which I lent to my partner). I also saw a 2 year old MOMENT, just past its 2 year warranty period, with hairline cracks at the down tube and top tube joint gusset.

So, I've come to the definite conclusion that its OK to carry a couple of pounds more for years of great riding on a Chumba bike (hopefully!).

And Alan, when will you be ready to accept custom orders?

Tony