Nicolai Owners I Need Your Help !- Mtbr.com

Aug 2006

Nicolai Owners I Need Your Help !

Hi Guys,

I was planning to sell one of the Helius FRs we have to get another Helius CC as the FR is just a killer on the climbs here in Austria.

However, i'm really loathe to part with it if i don't have to cos i love the way it rides, so i'm gonna do a paper excercise to see if i can significantly lighten the build to 30lbs or below, currently 34lbs +. I know the bars, wheels and tyres are real heavy , i can change these easily enough.

Then there's the rear shock & the AM2 fork which i really don't like.

Q1. Does anyone know the fork size recommendation for an 05 frame ? I think they changed the model this year so no point looking on the nic site.

Q2. I don't really need to run the max travel (around 6 inches) so, based on the answer to Q1 can anyone suggest a fork ? I need an Air fork with Adjustable travel.

Q3. As for the rear shock, it's a DHX3 coil, heavy heavy thing. What air shock can i swap for that will still give a nice plush ride ? Not bothered about bells and whistles. Again, minor tweaks made on the 07 model so the site is out of date for info.

Any and all suggestions welcome but i don't wanna break the bank.

Thanks Guys

ziegi

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Have just finished my build @30lbs exactly without pedals. Using Crossmax XL wheels, Pike dual air fork & Manitou Evolver shock all of which are superb ! It pedals uphill like a beast and descends (on 5"mode) as well as my SX trail Few more small mods on teh way that will reduce this further.

"Its All Good"
    Sounds great. I would for sure throw a RS Pike fork on. I am really digging this fork, I was a huge fan of the Mar AM1. Would be good for sure to lighten up the wheel set. This will help the overall weight, not just in reducing it, but help you pedal the weight easier, sheesh, does that makes sense? Go carbon bars, go tubeless for sure....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Aug 2006
    Hi guys,

Just swapped the wheels to a set of DT5.1 with Nobby Nics and changed the bars for carbon. also swapped pedals to Cranks Brothers Candys rather than Mallets. Gonna take it for a ride this afternoon then decie what to do with the suspension. It might be my imagination but it feels much lighter to lift already.

I so wanna keep this bike

ziegi

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ziegi
    Q1. Does anyone know the fork size recommendation for an 05 frame ? I think they changed the model this year so no point looking on the nic site.
    I can only say that the 2005 catalog recommends a 125-150 mm travel fork. You don't have to go with the max travel in the front since you can switch to a lesser travel setting in the rear: 115 is the minimum, and I believe the second and third positions correspond to approximately 130 mm and 140 mm. I believe it's best to match travel in front and rear, so you can pick an older (130 mm) Fox Talas or Float or RS Revelation if you choose to go with 130 mm mode, or one of the newer Fox offerings with 140 mm of travel or RS Pike (air) to go with 140 mm in the rear.

Other than that, I can't really help, because my build is going to be closer to 33-34 pounds, since I don't trust air suspension and carbon fiber components.

Aug 2006
    Smith you're a genius !

I just love Revelations and i could possibly use a standard Float in the rear. Those would make a huge diference to weight and neither cost mega bucks.

Where's you get the 05 info ?

What's the progress witrh the frame ? Did you get those custom issues resolved ?

Thanks again

ziegi

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Where's you get the 05 info ?
    You can find their catalogs from 2003 to 2007 here: http://www.whyex.com/

What's the progress witrh the frame ? Did you get those custom issues resolved ?
    Well, we're now in the final stage, and the most difficult one at that: waiting for the frame to arrive It's going to take a month and a half more, or if I am lucky, about a month. As for the custom options, they were sorted out; maybe not quite the way I would have preferred, but one has to compromise here and there - such is life. After all, I'm sure it will be a killer bike once I build it up.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    zeigi, your most dramatic improvement will come from running lighter wheels and tires. The DT 5.1's are fairly light as are the Nobby Nicks, not sure what you were running before but it sounds like you're on the right track. Swapping from a DHX Coil to an RP23 Float is going to save you 150 g. A Pike or a Revelation would be great or maybe a Talas 32.

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    Swapping from a DHX Coil to an RP23 Float is going to save you 150 g.
    Sound too small of a weight saving, are you sure you have taken into consideration the weight of the coil itself?
    The Fox site says 213 grams for RP3 and 365-400 grams for DHX without spring.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    yeah, I'm sorry, it's early here :-)

150 + the weight of the spring.

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    A Dhx-A will save you about a half pound over that coil3.0 and give you some more adjustments to tinker with. The pike air feels about a pound lighter than my 06Z1 but both are mounted so I don't know for sure the weight difference. I know that I would not give up the stiffness of a 20mm axle up front even if it ment sacrifacing some weight. I am interested in trying a Magura Wotan, don't know it's weight though. Tires and wheels are the most noticable weight changes, how else do you have the bike spec'ed? Static items like bar, stem, post, seat can all be changed to save signigicant weight at litle cost.

Aug 2006
    It'll be worth the wait, no doubt about that !

How d'you plan to build it up ?

ziegi

"Its All Good"
    As I have said and others, wheels are where its at. The Nucleon is by no means light, but for what it is, it is really light. The wheels Toni built me are strong as and light, they spin great. He chose great spokes, I hadnt tried these before. This is my 3rd set of 823 UST rims, these are the nicest by far, can only put it down to the spokes....

I too agree, I would never move away from a 20 mm axle, binds and holds things together up front....

ziegi, just re read your first post, is the AM2 set up well. When I ran my AM1, it was smooth as, only neg was no 20mm axle...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Aug 2006
    Whafe,

The AM2 is set up fine, it's my issue, don't like the ETA - much prefer travel adjust.

I'm now thinking Air Pike or even Revelations with RS Pearl shock.

What sort of weight saving would tubeless offer then ?

ziegi

"Its All Good"
    I'm now thinking Air Pike or even Revelations with RS Pearl shock.

What sort of weight saving would tubeless offer then ?

ziegi
    ziegi, as I mentioned, I went from AM1 to the Pike 454, love it, very good fork all round.

I dont know exactly what weight savings can be gained, it is not just the weight, it is the reduction in rotational mass.......... I have not riddent with tubes for around 3 years now, have always had a really good run with tubeless, not everyone has though....

Well worth a try in my book, you would be a better guide on noticing the weight and pedalling weight savings............

Just been messing on the Nucleon outside my apartment, the suspension is awesome, just hucking 5 foot to flat concrete is like butter...........Smiles all round for me..

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    It'll be worth the wait, no doubt about that !
    Well, with this long of a wait and this price tag it had better be!

How d'you plan to build it up ?
    The frame comes with Fox Van R shock. I'm putting a FSA Orbit Xtreme Deep Cup headset and RockShox Lyrik Coil U-Turn fork (its travel - from 115 to 160 mm - perfectly matches the rear travel of the frame). Hope stem, Race Face Deus XC handlebar with Race Face lock-on grips, Thomson Elite seatpost & SDG Bel Air saddle with titanium rails, Shimano Hone integrated crankset with 24/36 Middleburn rings and MRP bashguard, Shimano XT 11-34 cogset in the rear, XTR chain. The brakes are 2006 Avid Juicy Fives, 185 front and 160 rear. Sram X.7 triggers with X.7 rear derailleur and X-Gen front. Wheels are DT Swiss 440 FR hubs laced to Sun Ringle S.O.S. rims with DT Swiss Competition spokes (black) and brass nipples. Nokian tubes and Schwalbe Racing Ralphs 2.4 for dry summer (considering Nobby Nics for the holiday in the Alps). What else? Ah, the pedals. Currently I have a pair of DMR V12 Mags but I seriously dislike them so I will be looking forward to buying some Syncros Mental pedals (aluminium ones).

I have all these parts lying around or installed on my current bike, all I need is the frame to bolt it all on.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    zeigi - In general you're not going to see a tremendous weight savings running tubless. This is because you generally have to run a wider tire (to get the bead to setup nicely) and with a thicker casing to hold up to much abuse. If you are a light rider riding on terrain that is not too rocky then you can get away with a somewhat lighter tire but you do have to be careful. Tubless does allow for better traction which does improve efficiency. That said, we've played around with a LOT of different non-UST tires at our shop looking for some that offer significant weight savings. We've gotten away with running 2.4 Racing Ralphs tubeless which is a very light tire with a thin casing to be run that way. The two riders were in the 170-180lb range and the tires held up to a few months of riding on a Maverick ML8 with no failures. In Whafe's case we opted to run an ~800g, non-UST, Maxxis Advantage setup tubless. But, he needed a tire that could hold up to some abuse while still wanting to avoid a 1000+ gram tire that would be a real pain on climbing.

Members who have read this thread: 0