New XCL Build + Review- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New XCL Build + Review

Finally after a long wait got the whole bike together and got its first ride in this morning.

The only negative was it had rained pretty heavy in the early morning and leaves were down like a nice slick wet blanket, covering nice slice wet roots! Traction was at a premium to say the least.

First off the build.

Large XCL in Black
    Mavic XM819 build up on a Hope Pro II and Maverick 24mm front hub
    Maverick SC32 front fork
    Race Fave Evolve Cranks
    "Shadow" XT Rear Der
    XT Front Der
    Hayes HFX9 carbon levers with 8" rotor up front for clearance with the maverick hub
    FSA Seatpost
    WTB Rocket V Saddle
    Easton EC70 Monkeylite bars
    Salsa Flat 100m stem
    Chumba lock on grips
    Weight = 30-31lbs ( trust bathroom scale weight, dont really care though)

The Review

Took a little bit to get the DHX set up to ride nice, well more like a long time to get it setup nice. Once everything was dialed in off to the trail. The trail is really damp from the morning rain and with all the leaves on the ground I rode pretty cautious. I dont feel that I got everything I could have out of the bike as a result of the slick wet conditions. It also took some getting used to being on a 26" wheel again coming from the nimble and light Dos Niner.

Considering the conditions I was honestly very surprised with how light and nimble the chumba felt climbing through wet roots, slick leaves and slippery climbs. I am not sure how the guys at Chumba did it, but the XCL climbs better than my Dos, now it was probably new bike stoke talking here but it felt great. The thing I disliked about the niner was the feeling that the bike was ...too light weight, just never really felt solid underneath me, the chumba on the other hand was solid as a rock.

Our trail features some really tight twisty singletrack that is switchback after switchback for a good portion of trail. I was really eager to try this section as I nail this pretty quick on the Dos and wanted to see the difference, I may end up losing a little speed in this type of terrain but overall the bike handled it great and honestly the only downfall was probably the pilot!

I can't say that I like the XCL more or less than the Dos yet, but at the end of the day it is a DAMN FUN BIKE.

Now on to some pics! Sorry for the crappy quality, better will be coming soon!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    looks great!

nerfherder
    Sweet Monty! Finally! You've definitely got one of the more unique XCLs. Keep us posted as you get more rides in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    Sweet Monty! Finally! You've definitely got one of the more unique XCLs. Keep us posted as you get more rides in.
    Thanks man, I enjoyed the first ride. Going to try to get another in tomorrow if it dries out some! It is a little different than the others in build up, I'm looking to get some other lighter weight parts on it. Final goal is a light weight do it all type of rig, (light weight relatively speaking, goal is 28lbs)

I gotta say though, I'm sold on the Maverick Forks. I bought the SC used off a friend, by spring time I'm thinking about a DUC32 though. That should just be plain cool looking.

Trophy Husband
    Lookin' great! Nice build...good luck with 28lbs. At that weight it'll be down right deadly for up and down singletrack.
    Extreme stationary biker.

Apr 2007
    Nice bike .When using that fork make sure you tighten the clamp as to remove the axle twist. I am using that fork on the Chumba 29er it is light and works well when I get it set up. I noticed a little pull to the left when I am hard on the brakes with the Maverick fork then I tightened up the axl clamps and it was gone.

Have fun that bike ROCKS!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChumbaJason
    Nice bike .When using that fork make sure you tighten the clamp as to remove the axle twist. I am using that fork on the Chumba 29er it is light and works well when I get it set up. I noticed a little pull to the left when I am hard on the brakes with the Maverick fork then I tightened up the axl clamps and it was gone.

Have fun that bike ROCKS!!
    Thanks! I noticed that at first it pulled a little to the left as well under hard braking, but the clamp was a touch loose. They are a bit finicky to set up, but once you get the right oil / clamp pressure its a really smooth fork. pretty light to boot!

mtbr member
    Very nice Monty, you are going to love your XCL!

mtbr member
    nice job Monty... enjoy.. for I am enjoying mine..

Members who have read this thread: 0