New Spot Mayhem

Printable View

• 03-23-2017
    bogeydog
    New Spot Mayhem
    Spot is now releasing their newest FS bike after their cool Rollik. It is a 27.5+/29er.

I ordered a frame last month. It's a small black frame. Paul was a great help.

Pics and info are now on their website and FB page.
  • 03-23-2017
    jacksonlui
    That looks nice. Whats the frame +shock weight?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  • 03-23-2017
    bogeydog
    No idea.
  • 03-23-2017
    jacksonlui
    I emailed them and they said they dont know exactly but should be 6.5lbs. Dont understand how they dont know what they are designing and 6.5 is heavy

• 03-26-2017
    twowheelfunman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    I emailed them and they said they dont know exactly but should be 6.5lbs. Dont understand how they dont know what they are designing and 6.5 is heavy

I would rather have a solid frame built to last than worry about failure due to chasing uber lightness. In My Opinion
  • 04-05-2017
    poonamibaxter
    I think they don't know the exact weight of a small because they have only have a large size they have been test riding. Just my guess though.

I rode it a couple weeks ago and loved it. I have been waiting for them to rake the fork out to 140 and will hopefully get out on it again soon to see if it might be a replacement for my 6" 27.5 bike. I loved how tight it felt climbing but then opened up descending.
  • 04-22-2017
    dmo
    How do you think it would be with a 150mm fork?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
  • 04-22-2017
    poonamibaxter
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    How do you think it would be with a 150mm fork?

Not sure where you're riding it but with my experience the extra travel isnt necessary. I rode it on some rugged front range trails. When I rode it at 130 i felt it bottom out and while not harsh, i still felt it. At 140 i used all the travel but never felt it bottom out, the same happens on my 160 27.5 rig. The bigger wheels really make a difference for me.
  • 04-23-2017
    dmo
    How is it in the early part of the travel?

• 04-25-2017
    poonamibaxter
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    How is it in the early part of the travel?

Travel is very progressive on it. I am sensitive to bob and blowing through early. I stopped riding my Bronson a few years ago because I couldn't get the damn fox shock dialed in, eventually went with DBairCS with the Bronson tune. New bike has a Fox X2 with CS. I always use the CS when climbing. Always. First time I rode the Mayhem once we got to the top and were ready to descend I asked which way to turn the switch to open the shock, I just assumed it was in climb mode. It was fully open. I had used about half the travel on a technical rocky climb. On the way down it really seems to open up and feel much longer.

I have zero experience with the 34 fork, each time i rode it was with the 36 and I am buying it with a 36. I set my fork on the low side with air. I am coming off a 160 travel 27.5 and don't notice the difference with 140 on this bike.
  • 04-26-2017
    bogeydog
    Which color is best?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
  • 05-03-2017
    poonamibaxter
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    Which color is best?

I have only seen the red but I told em to order me whichever one they are selling less of. The red is pretty sweet but the pics of the black look pretty damn good also.

Anyone know eta?
  • 05-03-2017
    bogeydog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by poonamibaxter View Post
    I have only seen the red but I told em to order me whichever one they are selling less of. The red is pretty sweet but the pics of the black look pretty damn good also.

Anyone know eta?

Red shipping May 17, black June 17 for smalls. Not sure on others

• 05-17-2017
    poonamibaxter
    It's the 17th, anyone get theirs? They said mine is in but they are waiting on the 36 to get in. No rush though as winter is showing back up tonight for one last gasp.
  • 05-17-2017
    dmo
    Im waiting to hear how people like them before i decide to order one. Hury up and report back once you get yours

• 05-25-2017
    Pau11y
    Quote:

It's the 17th, anyone get theirs? They said mine is in but they are waiting on the 36 to get in. No rush though as winter is showing back up tonight for one last gasp.

Hey man, are you in the CO Front Range?
    I just took one out yesterday and now want one for light trail duty so much! And yeah, this bike deserves a 36, especially the one w/ pinch bolts and 20mmTA! The one I took out had a 34 Boost w/ the 15mmQR and I can feel it twist in the tight switchbacks (Apex's Pick n Sledge if you're on the CO FR). Also, I really needs a 800mm bar. I had a Next 760 on the demo...it just felt tight! Last, it also REALLY deserves a X2 for the rear shock! I'm on a long-shocked Hightower, and it'll get pushed to a heavier hitting bike park type bike and it's decked out w/ a X2. If you slapped on one the Bronson, you know exactly what I'm talking about :)
    But what you said about the suspension and leaving the shock wide open...SO TRUE! It pedals SO amazingly efficient it felt like cheating!
  • 05-25-2017
    bogeydog
    I have a Fox 34 and am getting frame only, small black. I thought it will be OK for my 150 lb weight. Interested to see how new DPS shock does. I spoke to Fox at Dirt Fest and he says the new shock is pretty great.

Expecting to be riding June 10.

• 05-25-2017
    poonamibaxter
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Hey man, are you in the CO Front Range?
    I just took one out yesterday and now want one for light trail duty so much! And yeah, this bike deserves a 36, especially the one w/ pinch bolts and 20mmTA! The one I took out had a 34 Boost w/ the 15mmQR and I can feel it twist in the tight switchbacks (Apex's Pick n Sledge if you're on the CO FR). Also, I really needs a 800mm bar. I had a Next 760 on the demo...it just felt tight! Last, it also REALLY deserves a X2 for the rear shock! I'm on a long-shocked Hightower, and it'll get pushed to a heavier hitting bike park type bike and it's decked out w/ a X2. If you slapped on one the Bronson, you know exactly what I'm talking about :)
    But what you said about the suspension and leaving the shock wide open...SO TRUE! It pedals SO amazingly efficient it felt like cheating!

I most certainly am on the Front Range, rode Deer Creek today and Apex yesterday.

I demoed it on Apex also with a 36 both times but the first time it was set at 130 which isnt enough for me. I'm being made fun of by my friends about the extra 10mm but it let me run the lower pressure on the fork that I am used to and like. Mine is coming with a 36. They are supposed to be checking on an Enve DH bar(800mm), if not I will pick one up from Mojo or just swap their bar for mine on the current rig. I told Paul the 760 seemed narrow and he said everyone else thought it seemed wide.

I really didn't have any beef with the shock. It climbed extremely well and I used all the travel on the descent. The bike seemed to stay on the trail on the descent unless I wanted it to pop up. My Bronson and Hd3 seem to float things at speed. That said, the X2 is so good I would love to have one on every bike.

The biggest thing I am adding besides the 36 is a set of i9 backcountry 360s. 36mm internals. I'm planning on a 2.5 DHF front with probably a 2.4 DHR rear. These big uns with the 36 up front should let this bike do just about anything. If it didn't climb so well already I would be leery with the raked out fork and big tires.
  • 05-25-2017
    bogeydog
    Quote:

I most certainly am on the Front Range, rode Deer Creek today and Apex yesterday.

I demoed it on Apex also with a 36 both times but the first time it was set at 130 which isnt enough for me. I'm being made fun of by my friends about the extra 10mm but it let me run the lower pressure on the fork that I am used to and like. Mine is coming with a 36. They are supposed to be checking on an Enve DH bar(800mm), if not I will pick one up from Mojo or just swap their bar for mine on the current rig. I told Paul the 760 seemed narrow and he said everyone else thought it seemed wide.

I really didn't have any beef with the shock. It climbed extremely well and I used all the travel on the descent. The bike seemed to stay on the trail on the descent unless I wanted it to pop up. My Bronson and Hd3 seem to float things at speed. That said, the X2 is so good I would love to have one on every bike.

The biggest thing I am adding besides the 36 is a set of i9 backcountry 360s. 36mm internals. I'm planning on a 2.5 DHF front with probably a 2.4 DHR rear. These big uns with the 36 up front should let this bike do just about anything. If it didn't climb so well already I would be leery with the raked out fork and big tires.

Are you running plus or 29er?

• 05-25-2017
    poonamibaxter
    I am getting the 27.5 wheelset from Spot but the i9 will be 29. I plan on running it as a 29er
  • 06-22-2017
    lanepatterson47
    2 Attachment(s)
    I spent two days demo'ing the XL version of this bike.

Very fun, and it is crazy how firm it is going up, yet plush going down. It is very smooth on the small bump stuff, but still connected in a way the Yeti 5.5 was not. It also jumps better than anything I have been on, I think this is because it is much easier/quicker to “load”, and therefore doesn’t require as much planning.

I did not like the stock tires (or wheels? Not sure I am that good), and I got a big puncture on the back tire. For the front range of Colorado I would immediately replace the Mavic tires with something beefier. If this came with a better wheelset the 5 Star would already be in my garage.

Beside the tires the only other thing I didn’t love was the stock brakes. It didn’t seem to have as much stopping power as my current brakes, but this could again be tires, or something simple like a rotor.

Overall I loved this rig, now I need to figure out the math around the wheels.
  • 06-22-2017
    bogeydog
    Got my black built up. Will post pictures and build later.

• 06-22-2017
    RockitJeff
    I could not wait for the Spot 29'r.

Pulled the trigger last March for a fully upgraded Rollik 27.5. Enve M60 wheels, etc.

I still maybe regret- a little- not waiting for the 29r? But what I got is pretty sweet!
  • 06-22-2017
    poonamibaxter
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lanepatterson47 View Post
    I spent two days demo'ing the XL version of this bike.

Very fun, and it is crazy how firm it is going up, yet plush going down. It is very smooth on the small bump stuff, but still connected in a way the Yeti 5.5 was not. It also jumps better than anything I have been on, I think this is because it is much easier/quicker to “load”, and therefore doesn’t require as much planning.

I did not like the stock tires (or wheels? Not sure I am that good), and I got a big puncture on the back tire. For the front range of Colorado I would immediately replace the Mavic tires with something beefier. If this came with a better wheelset the 5 Star would already be in my garage.

Beside the tires the only other thing I didn’t love was the stock brakes. It didn’t seem to have as much stopping power as my current brakes, but this could again be tires, or something simple like a rotor.

Overall I loved this rig, now I need to figure out the math around the wheels.

I agree with everything you said other than I thought the brakes were fine. I bought one and put i9 Backcountry wheels on it with 36mm inner. Also went with the 36 upgrade and set the fork at 140. Absolutely love it now, crushes everything up and down.
  • 06-22-2017
    bogeydog
    Today I had the first ride on my small black Mayhem wuthering 27.5+. Setup includes a 140mm 2018 Fox 34 modified by Push. Ibis 752 rims with I9 straight pull hubs carbon everything.

Past bikes have been Ibis MOJO 3, T
    2016 Trek Fuel EX 9.9, Evil Following, SC Tall boy 2 Carbon.... All top builds.

In summary, it was kickass. Rode east coast roots rocky stuff with XC mix. A few things standout. Downhill it's very composed and plush. However climbing and pedaling in just rocks. The suspension forms up and each pedal stoke noticeably moves the bike forward. Efficient. It handles great. This is where it gets confusing. By far the Trek has been the most nimble and fastest. The Mojo has been pretty good. The Spot is very Trek like. It's longer and has a longer CS than all the others. It's also slacker. However it's on parole with the XC Trek. Don't know why.

It was fun to ride for sure. I am excited. For those that think this is new bike syndrome, I ride all new bikes very conservatively. For safety and fair comparison. I ride to the point that I lose comfort. That is the edge.

The Spot is..... Spot on. I am running 2.6 tires and had a few pedal strikes. I think I can avoid these as I get used to the setup.

The Mayhem is super promising. I look forward to riding it more and more.

• 06-22-2017
    jacksonlui
    Really like the two tone color and the blue ibis spokes are killer!

• 06-23-2017
    jacksonlui
    When comparing the Push fork to the OEM, is there an immediate difference in feel?

• 06-23-2017
    bogeydog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    When comparing the Push fork to the OEM, is there an immediate difference in feel?

Tough question to answer. I judge stuff that like whether or not I notice anything which keeps drawing my attention. I didn't so it works do far. I need more time.

• 10-13-2017
    roy harley
    Is MoJo a Spot Dealer? I just saw you mention them in your thread but I didn’t think they were.