New ML7.3- Mtbr.com

Thread: New ML7.3

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004

New ML7.3

So, I am enjoying the plushness of my first fs bike: ML7.3 and a DUC. I have developed a creaking, much like a bottom bracket, when I stand up and hammer the bike from side to side. I had the bottom bracket reinstalled with some locktite, just to make sure I wasn't screwing up the bottom bracket, but it still has that creak. It's not the seat post, I've verified that my cleats are fine, the front forks have a little stiction squeak, all the connections seem secure, and when I get on it and bounce up and down without tossing it sideways, nothing happens. It only happens when I am hammering on the peddles AND tossing it from side to side. I weigh a wopping 150 soaking wet, well, 152, and I'm old(!), so I doubt that I am over powering the frame. Any suggestions? Is it maybe just the newness of the linkage? It didn't do it on the first ride. It has been cleaned with a garden hose and dried. No high pressure. It has an XT crank.

locked - time out
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HHL
    So, I am enjoying the plushness of my first fs bike: ML7.3 and a DUC. I have developed a creaking, much like a bottom bracket, when I stand up and hammer the bike from side to side. I had the bottom bracket reinstalled with some locktite, just to make sure I wasn't screwing up the bottom bracket, but it still has that creak. It's not the seat post, I've verified that my cleats are fine, the front forks have a little stiction squeak, all the connections seem secure, and when I get on it and bounce up and down without tossing it sideways, nothing happens. It only happens when I am hammering on the peddles AND tossing it from side to side. I weigh a wopping 150 soaking wet, well, 152, and I'm old(!), so I doubt that I am over powering the frame. Any suggestions? Is it maybe just the newness of the linkage? It didn't do it on the first ride. It has been cleaned with a garden hose and dried. No high pressure. It has an XT crank.

A Creak can be a crack somewhere, crank, frame, i would look at the cranks before I looked at their frame. What crank setup do you run?

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004

creak

Thank you for your ideas. I have an XT 760 that I have had removed and reinstalled. That helped a little. Maverick emailed me and said that the Monolink nuts and bolts might have been assembled without enough grease, and that the rear QR not being tight enough can cause creaking on that frame. I've looked the frame over, and it looks clean and healthy. If things don't settle in, and the once over tightening of the QR, etc. don't help, I will try dissasembling the shock housing and regreasing everything. Any grease recommendations? Both a LBS and Maverick said they doubt that the bearings are a the source. I'll keep messing with it! Thanks, again.

Members who have read this thread: 0