New EVO - Raw as a Color?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New EVO - Raw as a Color?

We built her up tonight. What do you guys think of the color?

We went with a XTR drivetrain with the new XTR carbon cage RD. Also the XT wheelset, that fits a 20mm front axle with Maxxis Ignitor tires. The fork is a 08 36 RC2, the brakes Avid Juicy 7 with a 203mm up front and 185mm in the rear. Gravity light carbon bar, Thomson stem and post.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member

No good Not for me.

Sorry.
    For me its just too industrial looking.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

Trophy Husband
    Hey Alan

Nice road bike.

Just kidding...sort of. Looks good. What's the weight?
    Extreme stationary biker.

nerfherder
    I dig it. Then again, I like industrial. I'm not keen on the XTR stuff on an EVO but if you got money to burn, why not. 3 rings on a bike like this is weird, too. I have no doubt it'll perform. And I know next to nothing about those XT wheels except that I think they're ugly.

But the raw looks functional on the EVO. A tough finish for a tough bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Color is... well, ok, but I wouldn't trade my black Evo for it. I'm also curious about the weight.

I notice you seem to like the Ignitors, maybe because SoCal is pretty dry? I personally find them pretty useless when it's wet. Wondering what tires you'd put on an Evo that was being set up for use in a wet climate. I've kind of settled on a Nevegal in back and a Minion DHF 2.35 in the front, but I'd be curious to hear what others have come up with.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the comments guys. Yes, a XTR drivetrain may seem a little out of place, but this bike was built mainly for aggressive all mountain riding - although the frame can certainly handle heavy freeriding. We'll see how the carbon cage holds up. We broke a lot of the SRAM XO carbon cages last year - before they changed the material to some type of carbon composite (haven't tried those yet). Running a chain guide is def. possible, as this EVO has ISCG mounts welded onto the frame, as well as a direct mount for the E-type derailleur that doesn't require use of the lower bracket for the front derailleur - this minimizes any need for derailleur adjustment besides the limit screws.

Scruffy,

We've never tried the XT wheels either - they have red nipples like the XTR and weigh 2000 grams, or approximately 4.5lbs. The tricky part with those is getting the right brake adapters and center lock rotor adapters. All the new Shimano wheels come with center lock - so you have to make sure to get the 6 bolt adapters to use them with any other brake besides Shimano. Also, if you are running a 20mm front wheel from Shimano, make sure to keep the extra hardware included with the wheels as you will need it to use the adapter if going with another non-Shimano brake. The guys at Shimano say the new XT wheels are built for all mountain/light freeride, and they seem to have strong construction and a relatively wide rim.

Geolover,

We will weigh the bike tomorrow - I'm thinking it will sit somewhere around 32-33 lbs.

So do you think we should offer the XCL or EVO in raw?

-A.
    Last edited by CHUMBAevo; 12-28-2007 at 12:43 AM.

BMJ
    "55 lbs and climbing!"

When's it going to the pain booth?

Hey Alan,
    Would this be mine? Needs some color!

Are all the rockers comming through black?

I'm living the dream!
    I'm not personally a fan of raw but I'm sure there's a market for it. I've seen a few Intense bikes rocking their "works" which is the same as raw. I'd be more interested in more anodized color choices.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    We built her up tonight. What do you guys think of the color?

We went with a XTR drivetrain with the new XTR carbon cage RD. Also the XT wheelset, that fits a 20mm front axle with Maxxis Ignitor tires. The fork is a 08 36 RC2, the brakes Avid Juicy 7 with a 203mm up front and 185mm in the rear. Gravity light carbon bar, Thomson stem and post.
    I like it but then again I'm a little suspect of anybody that places a lot of importance on how a bike looks. When I railing a turn or hitting a drop I'm not concerned with anything but the grin on my face.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'd prefer it more shinny.

The bike you are showing needs black post & stem IMO

No, that's not phonetic
    2 words:

White balance.

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

I bike long tyme.
    Yeah, I like it. I'd polish the linkages though.
    People wait for me on the way up. I wait for them on the way down.

Trophy Husband
    So do you think we should offer the XCL or EVO in raw?
    A benefit to a raw frame is it weighs less...also, it is easier (and cheaper) to have it powder coated the color of your choice down the road. I would consider a raw frame if you didn't offer a color I liked...although, I like most of the colors you offered last year.

...but this bike was built mainly for aggressive all mountain riding - although the frame can certainly handle heavy freeriding.
    Alan, any thoughts on Chumba producing a dedicated FR rig? Something a little longer, slacker, ~7" of travel and lower than the Evo? I think it would be a big seller in the PNW.

BTW, I think I successfully helped talk my LBS (in Bellingham, WA) into picking up the Chumba line. Do I win a prize?

Surfing trails
    I like it! But why not offer a silver powdercoat instead so you get the silver look and also have paint protection. But either way, looks great!

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    I like it but then again I'm a little suspect of anybody that places a lot of importance on how a bike looks. When I railing a turn or hitting a drop I'm not concerned with anything but the grin on my face.
    You must be suspect about a lot of people and bike companies then.

Quote Originally Posted by the cheese
    2 words:

White balance.
    Thanks!

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by dayuhan
    I notice you seem to like the Ignitors, maybe because SoCal is pretty dry?
    We don't get wet much here. And when we do the trails are closed.

No, that's not phonetic
    I wonder what people think the powdercoat or ano "protects" the frame from? It's purely an aesthetic thing. The raw mill finish won't change over time in any structural way, it's lighter (than PC), and scratches and gouges blend right in. A win-win situation. I have a "raw" Turner, and I personally like the look a lot.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover

Alan, any thoughts on Chumba producing a dedicated FR rig? Something a little longer, slacker, ~7" of travel and lower than the Evo? I think it would be a big seller in the PNW.
    +1 to that!

Surfing trails
    Actually, I hadn't thought about the weight savings by going raw. And I could always have it painted later on sometime if I wanted. OK, this raw is a win-win and now I want one!

Hey Alan, any way you guys will offer anodized bell rockers in the future? If you offered raw frames with a color choice of anodized bell rockers then you could offer lots of customization choices to your customers. Just a thought......

locked - time out
    It's cool, BUT sooooooo 2007!

mtbr member

A benefit to a raw frame is it weighs less...also, it is easier (and cheaper) to have it powder coated the color of your choice down the road. I would consider a raw frame if you didn't offer a color I liked...although, I like most of the colors you offered last year.

BTW, I think I successfully helped talk my LBS (in Bellingham, WA) into picking up the Chumba line. Do I win a prize?
    Hey Geo,

Yea, we've been throwing some ideas around for a 7 inch rig. What type of geometry are you looking for - seat angle, head angle, bb height, wheelbase, top tube and seat tube length for a medium... ? I'd be interested to hear. Yea, I think a 7inch bike would be cool.

Thanks for the hook up with the bike shop! Yea, I'll hook you up with some schwag, PM me.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by RAPIT
    I'd prefer it more shinny.

The bike you are showing needs black post & stem IMO
    The black stem looked okay on it because it flowed w/ the carbon spacers and bar ... but the seatpost's color contrast seemed a bit strong imho.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Nevegal
    Actually, I hadn't thought about the weight savings by going raw. And I could always have it painted later on sometime if I wanted. OK, this raw is a win-win and now I want one!

Hey Alan, any way you guys will offer anodized bell rockers in the future? If you offered raw frames with a color choice of anodized bell rockers then you could offer lots of customization choices to your customers. Just a thought......
    Yea, we thought it was a good idea too, so we used to offer anodized options for bell cranks, but they didn't really catch on. Most of our customers just build stout bikes and ride the crap out of them - like Jason and I did today.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I wonder what people think the powdercoat or ano "protects" the frame from? It's purely an aesthetic thing. The raw mill finish won't change over time in any structural way, it's lighter (than PC), and scratches and gouges blend right in. A win-win situation. I have a "raw" Turner, and I personally like the look a lot.
    Tscheezy, have one last "raw" EVO here left.
    Last edited by CHUMBAevo; 12-29-2007 at 11:59 PM.

Trophy Husband
    Hey Geo,

Yea, we've been throwing some ideas around for a 7 inch rig. What type of geometry are you looking for - seat angle, head angle, bb height, wheelbase, top tube and seat tube length for a medium... ? I'd be interested to hear. Yea, I think a 7inch bike would be cool.

Thanks for the hook up with the bike shop! Yea, I'll hook you up with some schwag, PM me.
    SA = ~72*
    HA = ~66.5*
    BB Height = 14.0"
    Wheelbase = 45.5 - 46.0" (L), 44.5 - 45.0" (M)
    CS = 16.8 - 17.0" (would be tough to do with 7 inches of travel and keep uninterupted seat tube)
    TT = 23.7 (L), 22.7 (M)
    STL = 18 (L), 17 (M)
    1.5 HT

Paste eater
    SA = ~72*
    HA = ~66.5*
    BB Height = 14.0"
    Wheelbase = 45.5 - 46.0" (L), 44.5 - 45.0" (M)
    CS = 16.8 - 17.0" (would be tough to do with 7 inches of travel and keep uninterupted seat tube)
    TT = 23.7 (L), 22.7 (M)
    STL = 18 (L), 17 (M)
    1.5 HT

Again, +1 to that, though maybe a straight 23 inch TT...

BTW, looks kinda like your SuMo ss, no?

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind
    Again, +1 to that, though maybe a straight 23 inch TT...

BTW, looks kinda like your SuMo ss, no?
    Yes, but a little longer WB.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    You must be suspect about a lot of people and bike companies then.
    Yep, I am, especially when it seems that so many people are more concerned with what the bike looks like rather than what it rides like or the actual act of riding. It makes me think many of these people would be happier selling their bicycles and getting a Harley, there's a lifestyle where posing has become an art form.
    "Do not touch the trim"

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Tscheezy, have one last "raw" EVO here left.
    Any chance I could bring my XCL frame to you guys and have it stripped raw? It's powdercoated and I'd prefer raw, mud seems to not stick as easily to my raw (stripped) hardtail. Cost?

Thanks
    "Do not touch the trim"

Compulsive Bike Builder

Raw looks great but

I like the look. But my sweat etches the surface raw aluminum badly and I have to polish the frame every few months. Easy solutions: raw with clearcoat or raw with no tint anodizing.

Intense's current "works" finish also looks interesting, I think it is some kind of controlled oxidizing of the finish. But I don't know what kind of protection that offers. I had a 29er spider for a while with the works finish, I thought it looked cool. But I never built it or rode it.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

mtbr member
    I like the raw finish.

yarrrp
    May 2007
    I want more clearance in the chain stay. how about a 150 rear end and an 83mm bb. forget the 1.5 head tube they look dumb. I also think that the evo has plenty of travel for any size freeride there is. adding one inch of travel is just silly. the big difference is component choice. adding a heavier duty grupo. for bigger hucks. but why cater to huckers. Slopestyle bikes are where the money is. How about an evo with 5 inches of travel and a lower bb with the same head angle. I have a hunch this can be accomplished with a shorter shock and some different rockers. I will take a set as soon as they are available. I would trade my powdercoat for a raw in one second flat. Keep it guys. By the by you guys have the best customer service ever.

I'm living the dream!
    Quote Originally Posted by hairygut
    How about an evo with 5 inches of travel and a lower bb with the same head angle.
    You just described the XCL. 5" travel, 13.5" BB height, 69 degree head angle.

yarrrp
    May 2007
    not so much.

Peace & Love
    yes...probably the minority like it, as they would with any company making raw, but its kewl.......glad to see you are considering things for the non-sheep MTBers

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I like the raw with those wheels

mtbr member
    I like the raw look.

fraid of heights
    Nice bike, did you guys ever get a weight for it?

Members who have read this thread: 0