New Chumba Owner...sort of!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

New Chumba Owner...sort of!

OK, I knew in my mind I needed a chumba... I knew the XCL was for me.
    Did way too much research, rode too many bikes and came to a conclusion I was finally going to have a "real" bike..

So heres my new Bike... An EVO...

I came across an EVO with the build kit I really wanted for my XCLand the price was there.
    Now I have buyers remorse... I want to sell my frame and get my XCL...I have not even started the build.

Anyhow...thats my story...

WWJR

uhhhh, what?

man, that was all over the place. you wanted an XCL, but ended up with an EVO, which now you want to get rid of for an XCL?

well, sik bike none the less!!!

yarrrp
    May 2007
    dude give the evo a chance! SUPER fun bikes. I have ridden an XCL and they are pretty good too, but the EVO is siiiiiick.

nerfherder
    onabike - here's my take. Unless you got the deal of the century on the frame you're going to take a hit on depreciation no matter what if you resell that frame. New or not. So ride it for a few months. Best case, you love it. Worst case, you have a good time but realize it's not for you and you're a bit more experienced with AM bikes. And if you realize it's not for you you can sell the frame for probably a little less than you could now except you got some use out of it. Think of it as a rental.

Anyways, bottom line, if you're going to lose some money in this deal, might as well get something out of it.

NWchumba
    or you could get an xcl...

nerfherder
    or what he said ^

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Just to clarify... I was looking at the XCL... and getting ready to buy... Then I came across my EVO... thats all.

If I could find someone to swap that would be king, but I like the advise to build it, ride it.... and really give it a chance... I know its a sick bike... but its way overkill for my singletrack riding... I would neve get full use out of this bike...
    I have avid Carbon brakes, XO rear xtr front, X9 shifters.
    An E Thirteen 2x9, FSA V drive .
    I have an M1 light fork I definately want to trade out. Need to work on a stem, I have a free ride Truvativ one now...

Maybe it was a little buyers remorse...Wonder how light I could make this EVO anyhow.
    I always believed in having the right tools for the job. This will be overkill/..

nerfherder
    I also believe in buying what you want the first time because if you compromise but then later end up buying what you wanted to begin with it costs you more then if you had just bought what you wanted to begin with.

Since it's too late for that the above is my suggested plan B.

I also like the right tool for the job... but it's not so much that the EVO is the wrong tool. It's more like Tim Taylor & Tool Time overkill.

Surfing trails
    I say build up the EVO and ride it a while. (LOVE mine!!!) I ride XC and trails with mine way more than down mountainsides and I am nothing but smiles on it. Look at it this way, you'll never know unless you ride it. And as far as overkill goes on XC trails the EVO on rooty singletrack is like riding over cigarette butts in a HUMMER H1 - you know they are there but they sure don't slow you down.

nerfherder
    Oh, another note. The EVO I demoed for a week was very efficient. It didn't bob much, felt snappy when you gassed it, and climbed well, too. Lighter XC oriented parts helped, though.

NWchumba
    I rode my DH bike uphill and on singletrack with a 40t front and road cassette. Don't let your bike hold you back from doing what you love!

nerfherder
    I love riding but I'm pretty sure I'd hate climbing local socal steeps on a DH rig with a 40t and a road cassette. Props to you if you can hang with that and still have a good time. The rest of us probably need something a little more user friendly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    scruffy, give me some details on some XC parts you have found you liked on your EVO...

nerfherder
    I looked over my review and it wasn't all that XC after all. The fork and the tires were the XCish stuff. Those tires are pretty light and fast rolling. So I guess I liked the tires.

yarrrp
    May 2007
    bro run a full xt groupo with lx brakes and a pike air up front with mavic 819 with any hubs single wall tires a 90mm stem and you have a killer light and strong bike.

NWchumba
    X.o!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    the fork is an idea,.. but I already have an XO rear and xtr front, and carbon seven brakes

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    the fork is an idea,.. but I already have an XO rear and xtr front, and carbon seven brakes

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    the fork is an idea,.. I already have an XO rear and xtr front, and carbon seven brakes

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Keep the EVO and built it up strong, and lightish. Get a light weight XC frame on eBay and built it up cheap for XC stuff. You are less likely to break stuff if you use the two bikes appropriately. It might sound expensive, but if you take your time, you can really good deals on items if you're not in a hurry.

I swapped all the parts I could off my old Trek onto a XCl. I am slowly completing the XCL, and putting light weight parts on the Fuel EX geared for racing. I know that the XCL is raceable, but I have some heavier duty parts on it...the Lyric is a tank.

Anyway, keep and build up the EVO and have a great AM sled, and it will improve your riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onabike
    OK, I knew in my mind I needed a chumba... I knew the XCL was for me.
    Did way too much research, rode too many bikes and came to a conclusion I was finally going to have a "real" bike..

So heres my new Bike... An EVO...

I came across an EVO with the build kit I really wanted for my XCLand the price was there.
    Now I have buyers remorse... I want to sell my frame and get my XCL...I have not even started the build.

Anyhow...thats my story...

Hey onabike - what year is the frame and is it the AM (steeper seat tube version) or the FR version?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I was in a similar situation not long ago. I had a light XC bike and wanted something for the rough stuff. Got a killer deal on a slightly used Evo, built it up nice. Then I cracked the frame on the XC bike and decided I wanted to go with just one ride. Thought seriously about deling for an XCL, also figured the Evo would really be overkill. Decided to just ride the Evo for a while, did that, and decided to keep it.

I don't do much jump and drop stuff, so in that sense the Evo is overkill and I won't exploit its full potential. But I love that plushness on long rough fire road descents, and it constantly tempts me to try stuff I wouldn't try on a less capable machine.

I have the older Evo with the slacker seat tube. In the beginning I had trouble keeping the front down while climbing, but an adjustable fork and some adjustments to my positioning took care of that. I have no trouble climbing on the bike now and I routinely do long rides on it.

It's built out like this:

Large Evo with DHX Air
    Talas 36
    Chumba wheelset
    XT crank and cog
    X.9 shifters/derailleurs
    Thomson post, Fizik saddle, FSA stem, FSA K-Force carbon DH bar
    Oury grips

I mess with tires a bit but right now it's wearing a Syncros Point & Chute 2.1 on the back and a Nevegal 2.35 in the front. They work.

Weighs about 33 but I haven't found that to be a problem. I recently did an 11 hr ride and found that I was as fast as I was on my old 26lb XC bike, and no more tired. I suspect that's because the Evo is so much plusher on the rough (fair bit of that) that there's less wear and tear. On hardpack you'd notice the weight difference, but I don't ride much of that.

At first the Evo seemed to sit pretty high on twisty singletrack, but now that I'm used to it, no problem at all.

Keep it and ride it a while, it may surprise you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I was in a similar situation not long ago. I had a light XC bike and wanted something for the rough stuff. Got a killer deal on a slightly used Evo, built it up nice. Then I cracked the frame on the XC bike and decided I wanted to go with just one ride. Thought seriously about deling for an XCL, also figured the Evo would really be overkill. Decided to just ride the Evo for a while, did that, and decided to keep it.

I don't do much jump and drop stuff, so in that sense the Evo is overkill and I won't exploit its full potential. But I love that plushness on long rough fire road descents, and it constantly tempts me to try stuff I wouldn't try on a less capable machine.

I have the older Evo with the slacker seat tube. In the beginning I had trouble keeping the front down while climbing, but an adjustable fork and some adjustments to my positioning took care of that. I have no trouble climbing on the bike now and I routinely do long rides on it.

It's built out like this:

Large Evo with DHX Air
    Talas 36
    Chumba wheelset
    XT crank and cog
    X.9 shifters/derailleurs
    Thomson post, Fizik saddle, FSA stem, FSA K-Force carbon DH bar
    Oury grips

I mess with tires a bit but right now it's wearing a Syncros Point & Chute 2.1 on the back and a Nevegal 2.35 in the front. They work.

Weighs about 33 but I haven't found that to be a problem. I recently did an 11 hr ride and found that I was as fast as I was on my old 26lb XC bike, and no more tired. I suspect that's because the Evo is so much plusher on the rough (fair bit of that) that there's less wear and tear. On hardpack you'd notice the weight difference, but I don't ride much of that.

At first the Evo seemed to sit pretty high on twisty singletrack, but now that I'm used to it, no problem at all.

Keep it and ride it a while, it may surprise you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thank Day....
    Its looking like I just may go that route... I have had it for sale for a week or so here and lots of trades offered but no deals... Hell, where was this price on a frame when I was looking..sheesh...
    Anyhow, I think I can come it a tad less in weight than your sweet ride but 33 in my eyes is not bad for a bike with the capabilities as that EVO.. I'd be happy with 33.
    I would be riding by now had I built it up a few months ago... I have to make the plunge here real soon...
    I guess whats the worse thing, I build it, feel its not right, and then buy another???LOL, could be fun!

Apr 2007
    That is a great bike I rode my EVO all over the place I put a coil shock on it because I am over 180 it seemed to help with the suspension not blowing through its travel.

Keep in mind that that is a the slack seat tube free ride EVO.
    That was all that was available in that color and year/model.
    You can make them climb but you have to run seat forward in the clamps on maybe a Thomson seat post or something that has no lay back.

If you want to go light the rp23 fits that bike also and you can set it up to almost lock out .
    Also run a fork that you can lock down. Those things will help you set your bike up to be
    more XC/AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0