New Build by Carl Strong- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

New Build by Carl Strong

After doing a lot of research I wound up having Carl Strong build me a TI Hardtail mountain bike. The build took about 3 months and every aspect of it went off without a hitch, Carl or is wife were the only ones I dealt with and he was very concerned with getting the bike right for me. I sent him my measurements and over the course of a few months we spoke on the phone and email and now I have an amazing ti bike. The frame itself weighed 3.4# and the built up bike is 24#. Im a 6'4 rider so I needed something a little bigger than your average bike, the feeling of having a bike that fits like a glove is amazing...Anyways, heres some pics, I HIGHLY recommend dealing with Carl. https://www.strongframes.com. I've got some more high-res pics of the bike and welds if anyone wants em just shoot me an email.

Jan 2004
    Those welds are incredible! Sweet bike!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Beautiful!

mtbr member
    Nice!!

What kind of tubes?

I am waiting for powder on two steelframes from Carl Strong, and YES, he is a brilliant craftsman and a great guy to deal with.

Espen

mtbr member
    Hi, those welds are great, as good as Moots, Dean, Seven or any of the other more well known builders. What sort of Ti did you go for ? Can Carl also build with mono seat stays?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 20_bandh
    Can Carl also build with mono seat stays?
    i know wat you're thinking... u want a strong dean? i guess after riding mono-rear it's tough to want something else. i had the same thought too...lol. wouldn't it be great too if i could get a triple triangle xizhang from Strong? wow, the mere thought.....

amtbr- congrats! superb welds.... it's a beauty!

mtbr member
    I have been discussing wishbone seatstays with carl Strong.
    He said he could do it, but it will weight more and will not give you anything but looks.
    I you prefer v-brakes, it might stiffen up.

Espen

mtbr member
    Trust me, a mono seatstay will stiffen up the rear end considerably. I dont believe that they are heavier either. Both Moots and Dean use this configuration on their hardtails, so there must be a reason for it.
    How much does Strong charge? Would there be a surcharge for a mono stay?
    Maybe I will contact him myself next week.

mtbr member
    Many top notch builders make their frames with regular seatstays. Seven, Strong, Steve Potts, IF, and many, many more.

So stiffness is the important thing? Stiffer=better??
    No!
    A good bicycle frame can be made in different ways, to give the rider the handling, stiffness, comfort and reliability he/she needs/wants.

An exaple, old Bony frames where not stiff, but used wishbone.

Not saying wishbones is a poor design element, but I dont think its important for ride quality.

Give Carl Strong a call, and talk with him about it. He might spread more light around this.

E

Mmmmmm Beer!

Why not a 29er?

I just got a ti 29er from Carl and it's awesome. I have two other 26" wheeled bikes that I'm now thinking about selling so I can get another ti 29er with front suspension.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You wouldn't be in so much pain if you didn't ride like a dork!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for the comments, just standard tubes, I couldnt go with anything else since I'm a little bigger (180-185). This thing is a beast climbing up technical single track, stuff I couldnt do last season is a breeze now. Couldn't be happier...

The Human Arrow
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CPATCRASH
    I just got a ti 29er from Carl and it's awesome. I have two other 26" wheeled bikes that I'm now thinking about selling so I can get another ti 29er with front suspension.
    that ... is a beautiful bike..... the curves on those tubes look awesome. What size is your bike ?...... any other specifics you'd be willing to share on your build ?....

thanks for sharing

Mmmmmm Beer!

Strong 29er.

The bike size is custom. I have a 34" inseam so the seat tube is 17 1\2 with a 24" effective top tube. Here's a ling to the build process.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=171911
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CPATCRASH; 04-07-2006 at 08:04 PM.
    You wouldn't be in so much pain if you didn't ride like a dork!

Not a Barry supporter.
    Whoa...tight bike!!!
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Members who have read this thread: 0