New 29er on the block....- Mtbr.com
    banned
    Sep 2005

Smile New 29er on the block....

What do ya think? 6lbs 3 oz with the shock, 4" of travel front and rear. XO goodies.

First Ride1.JPG

First Ride3.JPG

First Ride2.JPG

Mojito
    Mint Cycles
    www.mintcycles.com

Mar 2005
    Beautiful freakin' bike. How many inches of travel on that bad boy?

banned
    Sep 2005

Travel

4" of plushness...in the front and rear. The Manitou S shock performs better than the Fox IMO, it seems to be smoother on the small stuff.

banned
    Sep 2005

Wink Spring....5"

Five inches front and rear available in spring....29er...yes 5 front and rear...you will see.

Mojito
    Mint Cycles
    www.mintcycles.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

What Color is that?

Metallic Burnt Orange maybe? I am looking for some variation of a ight brown/copper/rust metallic something or other for my new project.

Looks Great!

mtbr member
    That is unequivocally the worst bike ever made. Send it to me so I may dispose of it in an environmentally friendly manner.
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

banned
    Sep 2005

In your dreams.....

You Aussies can't handle the SPARKLE MOTION!!!!!

Drink some Fosters and get over it!

Mojito

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mintbiker
    You Aussies can't handle the SPARKLE MOTION!!!!!

Drink some Fosters and get over it!

Mojito

I see the commitment to the Sparkle, but question your commitment to the MOTION.

Actually I felt a commitment to the MOTION the last time I drank Fosters, but it was on an aeroplane, and I was a long way from the restroom.
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Nice Ride Chris,

Too Bad I just got my Turner, I told you I was interested in a full suspension. You should have kept me in the loop.

Enjoy your success,

Rob

banned
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by durkind
    Metallic Burnt Orange maybe? I am looking for some variation of a ight brown/copper/rust metallic something or other for my new project.

Looks Great!
    It's a House of Kolor code. It is Apricot with Flake. The color code is F-19 Apricot, over a BC25 Base. It turned out really nice!

banned
    Sep 2005

Fosters!!??

Quote Originally Posted by Thylacine
    I see the commitment to the Sparkle, but question your commitment to the MOTION.

Actually I felt a commitment to the MOTION the last time I drank Fosters, but it was on an aeroplane, and I was a long way from the restroom.

I thought it was a crime punishable by severe beatings in your country if a colonist actually drank a Fosters.
    Last edited by mintbiker; 01-17-2007 at 01:40 PM.

mtbr member
    What kind of steel pipes are those gracing the frontend of that orange bicycle?

banned
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by freebiker
    What kind of steel pipes are those gracing the frontend of that orange bicycle?
    It is a blend of some True Temper S3 tubing where we thought we could get away with it....and OX Platinum everywhere else.

mtbr member
    Seat tube is?
    top tube is?
    down tube is?

banned
    Sep 2005
    Seat tube is?
    top tube is?
    down tube is?
    Sorry....

Head tube is S3
    Top tube is S3
    Down tube is OX Platinum
    Seat tube is OX Platinum
    Paragon BB Shell
    Ventana supplied suspension parts kit....we could have done things to make it lighter....

mtbr member
    sounds good, nice mix, beautiful bike, whats your thoughts on warranty with s3, i have heard it is hard to miter that stuff, as long as you can miter it well, is it just as strong as other steel alloys once it is welded up?

banned
    Sep 2005
    sounds good, nice mix, beautiful bike, whats your thoughts on warranty with s3, i have heard it is hard to miter that stuff, as long as you can miter it well, is it just as strong as other steel alloys once it is welded up?

Yeah the mix is perfect. I would hesitate at going much lighter on the tubes...but we could certainly take some weight of the fittings. And yes S3 is harder than titanium to miter, but once you have the right tools and a solid mitering set up it is not too bad. These tubes are also round so it gives us the ability to put higher clamping forces around the entire tube, as opposed to the shaped S3 tubes where we only get a small contact patch. It is going to last fine in terms of durability, I have been building with S3 ever since it came out almost 4-5 years ago. I am still riding my first S3 frame I ever built and it is still solid....and so am I....I got heavier due to beer and framebuilding zapping my ride schedule, and the bike still sings! Strength is great on the tubes as well. We have built some 50+ S3 frames and have had only one failure....and that was questionable....the guy broke three wheelsets, one fork, and backed it into a wall while the bike was on a rear vehicle rack...somehow I think it would have been fine without the wall incident. The tubeset has its limitations, but what cutting edge material doesn't have limits?

Mojito

In FTF We Trust
    Pretty tidy, I think that there's more bikes out there with Ventana 29er rear ends than Ventana makes themselves in a year. Good choice on suspension none the less. I really like the paint, not sure why more builders don't go ape with crazy paint.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

mtbr member
    Yeah the mix is perfect. I would hesitate at going much lighter on the tubes...but we could certainly take some weight of the fittings. And yes S3 is harder than titanium to miter, but once you have the right tools and a solid mitering set up it is not too bad. These tubes are also round so it gives us the ability to put higher clamping forces around the entire tube, as opposed to the shaped S3 tubes where we only get a small contact patch. It is going to last fine in terms of durability, I have been building with S3 ever since it came out almost 4-5 years ago. I am still riding my first S3 frame I ever built and it is still solid....and so am I....I got heavier due to beer and framebuilding zapping my ride schedule, and the bike still sings! Strength is great on the tubes as well. We have built some 50+ S3 frames and have had only one failure....and that was questionable....the guy broke three wheelsets, one fork, and backed it into a wall while the bike was on a rear vehicle rack...somehow I think it would have been fine without the wall incident. The tubeset has its limitations, but what cutting edge material doesn't have limits?

Mojito
    Sounds good, It seems plenty light to me, any chance on demo-ing? Never ridden a fully with a light steel front end. I ride a L/19ish bike.

banned
    Sep 2005

Smile

Sounds good, It seems plenty light to me, any chance on demo-ing? Never ridden a fully with a light steel front end. I ride a L/19ish bike.
    ANY CHANCE OF DEMOING!!!!??????

Open invitation to anyone who wants to demo a Mint frame....I have Large and Medium demos here in the Tempe/Phoenix area...and South Mountain....and plenty of other trails for you to try our goods out on. We want your input and for you to see what we can offer in the 29er realm. Drop us a line!

Medium Hard Tail 29er
    Large Hard Tail 29er
    Large Ventana 29er 4" Full Suspension

29 any where any time.....

Mojito

www.mintcycles.com

mtbr member

Brief ride report

Well, I took Mojito up and borrowed the squishy, sparkly orange 29er that graces this thread. I am still a little new to the 29er thing so I was excited to give this a try. I got to take it out to a couple of local spots I frequent regularly. South mountain and pass mtn, hawes area. I was quite impressed with the balance between the front and rear end of this bike. Especially given my 210 lb body size. I wondered about the possibility of the front end's lateral motion not getting along with the rear end's vertical motion. As far as setup, its obvious Mojito knows what he's doing. The build quality, geometry and parts spec were all spot on. The bike's fit was very well balanced from the start. I particularly liked how the bike cornered, it had a forgiving nature due to the light weight steel front end. Personally, I liked the feel of the front end having a little resiliancy to it. It never drifted out of my comfort zone. It was predictable in the rough stuff. The bike took off like a rocket(for a fs). The bike was super fun in corners and through carvey woops sections mixed with boulders and kitty litter. the only drawback I found was when it was time to return it. It was a little hard to take the bike back to Mojito today as I felt like I just got a taste of how the bike handled. If your looking for a custom rig and you want fs, 29 and some pretty steel pipes too, I would definately recommend one of these.

mtbr member

Broken Mint Frame

Mojito
    You stated that you have only had one of the frames break that was built out of the S3 tubing. I saw one of the Mint frames break on the
    3rd ride, and the thing had not been abused at all. The tube did not break, however the filet braze next to the dropouts broke on both sides. This happened a couple of months before this post. The bike was freaking beautiful, and also this may have been a fluke, but we all questioned the durability of the frame after we weighed it (It was a 29er singlespeed frame) The replacement frame weighed a lot more and seems to be working fine though. Do you know of any other failures? I talked to another owner that had a mint fail at the top tube/head tube junction, which is really odd. This one was tig welded and was built up super light also with the s3 tubing. (Another awesome looking bike) These are the only two guys that I know riding a mint S3 tubed bike.

May 2006
    Nice looking bike!

banned
    Sep 2005

Yep that was the one...

Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    You stated that you have only had one of the frames break that was built out of the S3 tubing. I saw one of the Mint frames break on the
    3rd ride, and the thing had not been abused at all. The tube did not break, however the filet braze next to the dropouts broke on both sides. This happened a couple of months before this post. The bike was freaking beautiful, and also this may have been a fluke, but we all questioned the durability of the frame after we weighed it (It was a 29er singlespeed frame) The replacement frame weighed a lot more and seems to be working fine though. Do you know of any other failures? I talked to another owner that had a mint fail at the top tube/head tube junction, which is really odd. This one was tig welded and was built up super light also with the s3 tubing. (Another awesome looking bike) These are the only two guys that I know riding a mint S3 tubed bike.

The one with the top tube broke after two wheelsets one fork...maybe two, and a host of other abuse issues including being backed into a fixed object at the rear of an car while mounted to a rack......sound like regular abuse??? Also that one was pushed wicked light, and it really was not a surprise to have that one break...it had to happen to an S3 frame some time. As for Gary's first frame from Swiss American, that was a bad design on my part....and I am bummed, that frame is beautiful. Gary wanted S bend stays, and S3 does not come in an S bend, so we used nivachrome stays and neglected to install a brace for the rear Paragon dropouts, and as such, we suffered a failure because of the use of an ultra-light seat stay without a brace.....As such....the S3 did not fail on the frame, the builder....your's truly failed to design adequately for an ultralight design. We never had any problems with the Paragon dropouts in the past, and this was our first issue. Henceforth, we always brace our stays on the disc side when we use Paragon "Sliders".

Make sense now?

Mojito

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot for the awesome response, I really appreciate it! Those are the only two mints that I know of people riding so I had a question about them. Anyway, I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a ti singlespeed and you are at the top of the list for a new frame....

The one with the top tube broke after two wheelsets one fork...maybe two, and a host of other abuse issues including being backed into a fixed object at the rear of an car while mounted to a rack......sound like regular abuse??? Also that one was pushed wicked light, and it really was not a surprise to have that one break...it had to happen to an S3 frame some time. As for Gary's first frame from Swiss American, that was a bad design on my part....and I am bummed, that frame is beautiful. Gary wanted S bend stays, and S3 does not come in an S bend, so we used nivachrome stays and neglected to install a brace for the rear Paragon dropouts, and as such, we suffered a failure because of the use of an ultra-light seat stay without a brace.....As such....the S3 did not fail on the frame, the builder....your's truly failed to design adequately for an ultralight design. We never had any problems with the Paragon dropouts in the past, and this was our first issue. Henceforth, we always brace our stays on the disc side when we use Paragon "Sliders".

Make sense now?

Mojito

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I am on my second mint frame. Both frames that I have had were made from OX Platinum. I have had no failures under my 250lb ass, Other than the Race Face carbon seatpost that I knew I should not have been riding. I am also friends with the guy who broke the frame at the headtube. On one ride I saw him jump that frame with a rigid fork, and land 10 feet down the trail with about 4 feet of elevation drop to flat. I would not expect any lightweight crosscountry rig to be able to take a season of that type of riding. I continue to ride mine with confidence. Chris, Thanks for the nicest riding hardtails I have ever owned.

Rob

Members who have read this thread: 0