New 09 Pivot Mach 429 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New 09 Pivot Mach 429 29er

One sweet bike!

On the home page for this site.

mtbr member
    Wow, when does that hit the shops?

mtbr member
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/track_daddy/sets/72157604597405418/ has some nice pics of the 429 in silver and red.

the train keeps rollin
    What's up with the rear tire clearance, looks so tight!
    beaver hunt

mtbr member

I think it curves around the tire a bit but for some reason some of these companies labour under the false delusion that everyone rides in the desert with no mud.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I am guessing it will probably fit a Nevegal 2.2" with acceptable mud clearance and probably a Rampage 2.35" too.

That is a 2.5 WTB ExlWolf 29er:

Quote Originally Posted by speedgoat
    The new 429 is a bit of an engineering marvel. Managing to fit big (and wide--this thing accepts a 2.5" WTB) tires, a front derailleur, and a genuine 100mm of travel, is not an easy thing to do on a 29er.

mtbr member
    I must say, less than I expected. Really nothin that hasnt been done. Oh well
    Rule of thumb- 1 Lb. costs 2 sec. per mile of climb

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisty
    I must say, less than I expected. Really nothin that hasnt been done. Oh well

Oh really, can you point me to another highend DW link 29er?
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Uhm ....My Spider is pretty much the same setup.

the train keeps rollin
    So I guess your bike is boring?
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter
    So I guess your bike is boring?
    Nah he just has massive cognitive dissonance typical of the super fashion conscious fruity 29er crowd

In dog years, I'm dead.
    DW-LInk vs. generic 4-bar? This topic has been beat to death elsewhere. No comparison.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by burtronix
    DW-LInk vs. generic 4-bar? This topic has been beat to death elsewhere. No comparison.
    Ok then ex[lain the DW on a 7 point. I dont buy that for 1 second.

illuminator82
    Jun 2004
    geez bro relax. DW can explain the nuclear physics to you in detail if you have the math background. but hey, sam hill will let you in on a little secret in real word riding....just ask him..lol

mtbr member

And if you are happy with it that's great!

I had an XXL Spider 29 that was the best handling FS bike I've owned in the fast, tight trails I frequent, but the minute I got into steeper climbs, the rear end was flexing so badly that the bike would crab walk. Probably not as much of an issue with the smaller frame sizes, but the XXL was a real problem for me. If the rear end of the Spider was more laterally stiff, it'd still be in my garage right now.

I have the Pivot on order due to the beefed up design of the linkages and swing arm. I know it won't be quite as fast handling as the Spider due to the slacker head angle, but if the lateral rigidity is there and the rear suspension performs as well or better than the VPP of the Spider, I'll be very happy with this bike.

www.derbyrims.com
    I got to pedal around on this jewel at the Sea Otter.

The steering and handling was very sweet and balanced. No awkward feel at all.

The suspension felt shorter than 100mm, partly due to the always inch less than advertised travel of stock Fox air forks as well as the unneeded platform of the RP23 ruining the potential of the most freely active DW-Link rear suspension.

Unsurprisingly the Pivot 29’er rode much like a RacerX except just a little less quick in handling but the big hoops are far smoother rolling the bumps. This 29’er has a very short rear stay length for its wheel size, 17.25 inches so the handling was very near 26 inch in feel.

The rear tire clearance was tight on the two prototypes, but Chris explained the protos show there is much room to be redesigned further to easily make plenty of large tire clearance.

Although I haven’t ridden many 29’ers due to always awkward feeling experiences on them before, this is the first one that I really truly liked.

mtbr member
    Very cool on the short chainstays. What id the headangle? Im all with ya on the Spider's rear triangle. I did put on a Push shock link and it helped quite a bit. Unfortunately they dont make or have any more. Don't get me wrong, Im not putting the 429 down at all and I thought the stays looked longer than that. Matter of fact if I was in the market for another xc 29er this would prolly be it. I just wanted something that would make me have to have one. The more i think on it the more I just might.

mtbr member

If you don't have serious issues with rear trinagle flex...

I'd just keep the Spider, especially if you like a very fast steering bike. I'm 6'-4" tall and weigh around 255 right now, so I was expecting a lot out of the Spider. It's just simple physics that I generate a lot more force than the average guy and the frame is huge, which creates longer levers and more stress on everything. I looked for a Push swing link to help stiffen it up but was unable to find one.

The published head angle on the small Pivot is 70.8 degrees and the large is 71.2 degrees, which is just over 1.5 degrees slacker than the Spider. I was running a DUC 32 on the Spider which has a longer A-C and put the h/a of the Spider at around 72 or 72.25 degrees. I am hoping that the new Reba or Fox with 44-46mm of offset will keep the handling sharp for the Pivot.

Very cool on the short chainstays. What id the headangle? Im all with ya on the Spider's rear triangle. I did put on a Push shock link and it helped quite a bit. Unfortunately they dont make or have any more. Don't get me wrong, Im not putting the 429 down at all and I thought the stays looked longer than that. Matter of fact if I was in the market for another xc 29er this would prolly be it. I just wanted something that would make me have to have one. The more i think on it the more I just might.
    Last edited by Qfactor03; 04-27-2008 at 07:12 PM.

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Qfactor03
    I had an XXL Spider 29 that was the best handling FS bike I've owned in the fast, tight trails I frequent, but the minute I got into steeper climbs, the rear end was flexing so badly that the bike would crab walk. Probably not as much of an issue with the smaller frame sizes, but the XXL was a real problem for me. If the rear end of the Spider was more laterally stiff, it'd still be in my garage right now.

I have the Pivot on order due to the beefed up design of the linkages and swing arm. I know it won't be quite as fast handling as the Spider due to the slacker head angle, but if the lateral rigidity is there and the rear suspension performs as well or better than the VPP of the Spider, I'll be very happy with this bike.
    Same issue and right behind ya man. Don't know about the smalls either, but the large was ridiculous enough that I can't imagine the small would have been acceptable either.

Members who have read this thread: 0