My Zion Review- Mtbr.com

Thread: My Zion Review

And He was Not

My Zion Review

I had this bike for a week or 2, and I just got a chance to ride mine today. Got in a good 2.5 hour ride on mixed conditions. The bike has a good feel to it, not nearly as springy as my SIR Niner but just feels nice and solid. BB are has very little flex. Handling was good felt nice at high speeds, Tight single track seemed a little better than my Rig, but not as quick steering as the Niner. I had NO problems hoisting the front end up. I like the playful feel of this bike kinda felt like a Inbred I demoed for a week . Geometry is pretty good by my standards. Cable guides leave a little to be desired and the downtube clearance is depressing. I still had to do a little filing on the tab to get it to clear with the BIG race. For $250.00 sheckles this is a nice frame with a good solid ride quality.I call it a good deal. I think it would seve big boys well also. I thought this build would come in a little lighter but I don't guess it is too bad.

Sorry for the dirty pictures, We see way too many spotless bikes.

Bike specs: 24.8lbs, Medium Frame
    Specialized Resolution Tires converted to Stans
    Bontrager Rims
    CHris King Hubs
    14/15 Dt spokes
    Alloy Nips
    Sram PC 68 Chain
    Boone 19 rear cog
    Surly 32 ring
    Old White Industries 5 arm cranks ( Great Find)
    Un 72 BB
    Hayes HFX 9 Brakes w/ Avid rotors
    Mary Bars
    Oury Grips
    King Headset w/ 7mm Ventanna race (4mm won't clear)
    Reba set @ 80 mm
    Salsa Clamp
    RaceFace Post
    WTB Laser She saddle Ti Rails
    Thompson 100 mm stem
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Enoch; 01-11-2007 at 06:16 PM.
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

Reviewer/Tester

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Posting dirty 29'er bikes on here is forbidden. Please remove all traces of the trail before posting.

We cannot permit any 'dirty' pictures on this forum.

Thank you.

Your Friendly 29'er Forum Mod.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch
    Cable guides leave a little to be desired
    What did you use for inserts?

And He was Not
    Quote Originally Posted by SKullman
    What did you use for inserts?

I used old inner tube, then I gave the guides a little squeeze with some non maring pliers. Another fine quality of steel.

mtbr member
    any noise from the eccentric? quality observations?
    carpe diem..........

And He was Not
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbuilder
    any noise from the eccentric? quality observations?
    None, but then I have had 4 bikes w/ ebbs' and have NEVER had a problem noise.

mtbr member
    Enoch, do u have a regular, comprehensive preventive maintenance program for your bikes?
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by WarPigs
    Enoch, do u have a regular, comprehensive preventive maintenance program for your bikes?
    Yes, he does.
    He gets a new frame every month, and then he inspects all the parts as he swaps them from frame to frame to frame.....

Nice Zion Jerry. What's up with that funny looking boat anchor thing on the front?
    I put a PW EBB in my frame last night so maybe I can get that elusive 32 X18 gear that was beyond the reach of the stock EBB. I haven't tried it yet as I was getting dirty looks from the significant other last night for spending too much time with the "other woman". I also mounted up my IF fork. Going for a crack of dawn Wilson's ride Saturday.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    How you liking those middleburns? Other than the incredible wear marks from ONE real ride!
    Wondering if I gain anything going from Truvative SS cranks other than Bling?

mtbr member
    Dicky, you mentioned that these frames were a smoking deal considering their weight and all, what does the eccentric frame weigh in your size? Enoch, in your size?
    carpe diem..........

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbuilder
    Dicky, you mentioned that these frames were a smoking deal considering their weight and all, what does the eccentric frame weigh in your size? Enoch, in your size?
    The small came out to @ 5lbs, with the original EBB. I could have this bike down to under 23 lbs pretty easy with what I have parts-wise, but a practical rigid build would probably be closer to 24+. Best riding $249 frame I've ever been on (might have something to do with the big wheels/parts).
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by None
    How you liking those middleburns? Other than the incredible wear marks from ONE real ride!
    Wondering if I gain anything going from Truvative SS cranks other than Bling?
    As far as stiffness goes I can't tell the difference between the Middleburns and the Race Face X-Types I had on the Dean. I knew I'd be getting some wear marks on the black cranks, but no matter. I have a bit of an inward heel thing, and if you add a little mud you get a sanding block. At least it's not carbon.
    If your Truvativs are X-Type I would think you would lose the bearing drag. At the very least I know I don't have to carry chainring bolts when I go riding.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Category Winner
    Jerry,
    What's your a-c with the Reba and that King thing??
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

AOK
    mtbr member
    the downtube clearance is depressing. I still had to do a little filing on the tab to get it to clear with the BIG race.
    From the pics it appears that you are running a Reba SL (internal floodgate adjust). That is the lowest profile Reba out there, and you still needed the big headset race. Dang!

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=teamdicky].
    Nice Zion Jerry. What's up with that funny looking boat anchor thing on the front?
    .QUOTE]

TD- I call my anchor a hand and back pain preventer.

Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    Yes, he does.
    He gets a new frame every month, and then he inspects all the parts as he swaps them from frame to frame to frame.....
    That's a good maintenance program. A few years back I was swapping frames and found that my frame was cranked at the weld near the BB. I thought my BB was bad but it turned out to be the frame making all the noise. The best part was the frame was under warranty and Trek sent me a know one!

And He was Not
    Nice ebb there TeamTwitchy. How much was that? I have allready priced some respectable cable guides ($2.52 a piece). I may cut these off and have a friend weld some new ones on and do a repaint since you just had to get one in the same color as me.

The Ventanna race gives me 7mm extra A-C on the Reba, It helps me get the front up, maybe you need one since your such a weenie and can't wheelie yours.

As far a maintenance goes, I use loads of Antiseeze on my Ebb. The stuff gets on everything, but it doesn't go away.

I think with a set of Carbon Bars, Rigid Fork, and my other set of wheels and tires, I could have this thing in the low 23 lbs. range.

Category Winner
    Nice ebb there TeamTwitchy. How much was that? I have allready priced some respectable cable guides ($2.52 a piece). I may cut these off and have a friend weld some new ones on and do a repaint since you just had to get one in the same color as me.
    I wanted to do the cable guide thing. If you know somebody locally I would like to get in on that.
    The EBB was almost half as much as the frame. I got it back when I had too much money to spend on the Dean.

The Ventanna race gives me 7mm extra A-C on the Reba, It helps me get the front up, maybe you need one since your such a weenie and can't wheelie yours.
    With my 50mm stem I got no problem getting it up.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

And He was Not
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky

With my 50mm stem I got no problem getting it up.

Ahhh, I wouldn't be spreading that one around, something doesn't sound right about that statement.
    Last edited by Enoch; 01-10-2007 at 10:02 AM.

Category Winner
    Ahhh, I would be spreading that one around, something doesn't sound right about that statement.
    The stem came with a warning label:
    "If your front end stays up for more than four hours consult a physician."
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Looks nice! Are the stickers on the frame easily removed? Thanks.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by DireWolf
    Looks nice! Are the stickers on the frame easily removed? Thanks.

Under the clearcoat.
    Zion 4 Life
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Powered by ice cream.
    Just got my Zion EBB frame.

Medium weighs 5.35 lbs with headset and seatpost clamp...about the same as the Monkey it's replacing.

I'm trying the Cane Creek extended lower cup..I'll let you know about Reba Clearance, but I am not hopeful.

Powered by ice cream.
    Okay:

The Reba/fork clearance is a total joke.

Even with the tall Cane Creek lower cup, I had to remove the (non-poplock just like Enoch's) top cap to get it not to hit. There is no way I could grind enough to get it to fit. Even with the whole cap off, I still had to shave the plastic down a little bit.

Luckily, the lockout still works, I just don't have the cool blue lever to turn.

Rides nicely in my short demo in the front yard. Seems like a Monkey with dropouts that are a lot more disk friendly.

Any idea how tight to torque the EBB set screws? Really tight, or just barely?

Reviewer/Tester
    50 inch lbs.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    I use a little blue loctite on the bolts. Works both as an anti-seize and a lock. I have also got in the habit of using loctite on the chain ring bolts as soon as I buy a crankset.

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    I used old inner tube, then I gave the guides a little squeeze with some non maring pliers. Another fine quality of steel.
    They make hose guide inserts for those brazeons...my Giant used them too.

Enoch, do you mind if I ask how tall you are and what your inseam is? I am trying to decide between a small and a medium.

And He was Not
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhound

Enoch, do you mind if I ask how tall you are and what your inseam is? I am trying to decide between a small and a medium.
    6.0 foot and right @ 33inch inseam. These bikes have good bit of standover.