My ZION 660 is built- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

My ZION 660 is built

Not sure if this is the right section to post this thread in but I couldn't find anything else where it looked like it belonged.

I made the big move and bought a ZION 660 frame from Jenson. It cost a bit to get shipped to AUSTRALIA but i couldn't find anything here that I liked for sensible money. I was planning on picking up all the bits and peices I needed on ebay but it worked out cheaper to buy a complete bike with spec I liked and strip it down for parts to put on the ZION frame. I went with a 2005 raceline that I got online for half of retail price. I used most of it and sold the bits I didn't like. I picked a couple of things up of ebay and used a set of half used maxxis tyres i had hanging around in the shed. The red tyres look a bit odd but I will replace them with something a little more asthetically pleasing when there are worn out. Heres the spec and some shots of the build process and the finished product:

Frame ZION 660 19 Inch
    Fork: Manitou Skareb Comp 100mm
    Brakes: Hayes HFX 9 Hydros
    Cranks: Truvativ Stylo
    Shifters: XT rapid fire
    R/Derailleur: XT
    F/Derailleur: LX
    Pedals: Crank Bros Candy SL
    Stem: Easton EA50 110 mm 0 degree rise
    Handlebar: Easton EA50 lowriser
    Seatpost: FSA zero set back
    Saddle: WTB Rocket-V
    Bottom Bracket: Truvativ Giga X
    Cassette: LX 9 Speed
    Tires: Maxxis Harddrive 2.1
    Rims/wheels: Mavic X117, Formula Hubs
    Chain Shimano
    Headset Cane Creek S3

" width="549">

mtbr member
    i actually like the red, it brings out the red fork knob and red bits on the seat and frame wrap. just white and black only would be a little dull

very nice.

I wear two thongs
    Wow I really like that, Its got a great component setup and everything on it is very aesthetically pleasing. Its a real nice lookin bike, now go get it dirty!
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

No good in rock gardens..
    I don't think he want's any mud on that creamy white paint - it rained here last night.

Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    What is the rear tire clearance on that frame?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1
    before I bought the frame I had read on other posts that tire clearence was a problem but it seems pretty standard to me. I'll measure it tonight and see if the fatter tyres from my other bike will fit. I'll post the measurements and a few pics then.

Apr 2004
    Another vote in favor of the red tires. Wouldn't want them on my bike, but they work with that white frame. Nice build!

What's more, those Hard Drive Duals are excellent tyres too.
    Less isn't MOAR

Apr 2006
    Those red tires are really cool!

Caca pasa
    Good looking rig!

It's a 19"- how tall are you?

Have fun.

fp
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Good looking rig!

It's a 19"- how tall are you?

Have fun.

fp

In regard to the frame size and my height, I am 176 cm which I think is about 5 foot 9 ish. The seat height I run is as the picture. Feels like the perfect size for my height.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Enough tire clearance for me anyway...................

Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1

There is plenty clearance all round with the maxxis harddrive 2.1's.

I also tried a set of hutchinson scorpion 2.00 's. These tyres are really big (they measure 2.2). There was not a lot of space but enough. Probably about 5mm alround. Heres a few pics that may help show what I am talking about (the red tyres are obviously the maxxis harddrive):

" width="549">

" width="549">

" width="549">

" width="549">

mtbr member
    Nice! I've been eyeing those Zion's for a while. The tire clearance issue holds me back, though.

I vote in favor of the red tires as well. Now go ride!

jmw
    mtbr member
    nice build!

I've got a 853EBB in black, but the new 660 looks nice in gloss white

If the new 660 rides as well as my 853, then you'll love it
    future nature

mtbr member
    I've been eye balling the 660EEB, I think it would make an awesome SS. Beautiful bike. I vote for the red too.

Remember when they had the Raptors in white? That would look awesome white bike with white tires... and white shoes... and white shorts... and white shirt... white everything!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Im really interested in purchasing either a 19" zion or the 20" onone 456 and noticed the biggest differences is the seat angle and head angle. By putting on a 100mm fork on a zion does it make it hard to climb steep hills will all the weight in the back and more likely to pop a wheelie. thanks.
    good looking bike btw.

zion geo
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...660+Frame.aspx
    456 geo
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/index.php?mo...N_position=3:3

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I just ordered a matte black Zion 660 gearie frame. I figure it's an XC frame - how big of a rear tire do you really need? Last year's Zion 853 was an exact copy of the Jamis Dragon, which comfortably fit a 2.4 MutanoRaptor with room to spare. Can't wait to build it up!

crgowo - I think the 456 is designed for 5" forks - check the on-one website. The 456 is a totally different frame intended for a different purpose than the 660. A more apt comparison to the Zion 660 of On-one frames would be the Inbred (26" wheel model). I own a 29'er SS Inbred and I love the way it rides. I tried to order the 26" geared Inbred frame from Pricepoint, but they were out of the 20" models (they say "backordered," but On-one isn't making any more "geared" Inbreds - just the new sliding dropout model, so I doubt Pricepoint will get more. Plus, the Zion is $100 cheaper). Per Brant at On-one, the new sliding dropout Inbred is designed for 4" and 5" forks, while the older "geared Inbreds" were designed around 3" and 4" forks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    The thing I dont like about like most about hte zion is the measurements for the 21inch. The head tube jumps for 4.9 on the 19inch to 6.5 on the 21inch. Why does it jump that much... all other sizes there is less then an inch difference. I measured the lenght on my current bikes bottom of the head tup to the buttom of the stem and it was about 6 and a quater inch. so that head tup plus a headset is going to be almost 7inchs if you have no spacers and just put the stem on. Thats why to long for my taste.
    So I was thinking about the 19inch but not sure if having a long seatpost exposed would just look weird and obvious the frame is to small....

Map Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by crgowo
    Im really interested in purchasing either a 19" zion or the 20" onone 456 and noticed the biggest differences is the seat angle and head angle. By putting on a 100mm fork on a zion does it make it hard to climb steep hills will all the weight in the back and more likely to pop a wheelie. thanks.
    good looking bike btw.

zion geo
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...660+Frame.aspx
    456 geo
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/index.php?mo...N_position=3:3
    I've got a Marz MX pro 120 mm fork on mine and it is fine to climb up hills. it does not seem to slack at all for me and it is very nice g oing down hill too.
    a very smooth ride not harsh at all.
    I am really enjoying my Zion 660 19" it fits me perfectly.:

This is my new Steel is real hardtail.
    on a budget:

Zion 660 19" frame
    Marz MX PRO ETA 120mm fork
    LX cranks
    Avid BB7 discs
    959 pedals
    Sram 9.0 shifters (NOS)
    x-7 rear d
    LX front d
    Brooks saddle
    LP composites carbon bar
    profile design stem

Wheels are Hope XC front to Sun Rim
    Hadley 108 pt to Mavic 717 rear

I am 6'2 with a short 32" inseam. The 19" frame is spot on perfect fit for me and with a 120 stem is actually longer than my other bikes.
    a very nice XC ride all day type rig.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

mtbr member
    Very nice ride, I figured if i manage to break my frame id spring for something like zion or and On one.
    How do you like the skareb so far?
    Floridas Other Crazy White Guy....http://www.swampclub.org/smf/index.php

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cbchess
    I am 6'2 with a short 32" inseam. The 19" frame is spot on perfect fit for me and with a 120 stem is actually longer than my other bikes.
    a very nice XC ride all day type rig.
    Thanks for the info.
    Well I know I can work with the headtube I current bike has the same size headtube. So i also has a lot of spacers.

Anyhow nice bikes guys. When I finally decide to order mine Ill post the pics after the build.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

skareb ok, but nothing on my reba

Quote Originally Posted by carnage
    Very nice ride, I figured if i manage to break my frame id spring for something like zion or and On one.
    How do you like the skareb so far?

The skareb seems okay, but maybe a little flexy. I have a reba on my other bike which is awesome. Maybe if I hadn't owed the reba I would like the skereb more.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Another new Zion - and one complaint

Here's my newly built Zion gearie. Specs include:

19" Zion 660 geared frame
    Rock Shox Reba SL fork (100mm travel)
    SRAM X0 shifters and rear derailleur
    King/717 rear wheel; Hope XC/717 front
    Avid BB7 brakes and Speed Dial Ti levers
    Truvativ ISIS Stylo Team crankset and FSA Platinum BB
    Thomson post, FSA stem
    Salsa liplock clamp
    Cane Creek S-3 headset
    Easton Monkeylite carbon riser (1.5" rise)
    Selle Italia genuine gel flite saddle
    Time ATAC pedals
    Kenda "stick-E" Nevegal tires (2.35 front; 2.1 rear)

Yes, I'm aware that the components are much nicer than the frame. I had them hung on an XC/FS frame that I ended up not liking, and this Zion frame is really a "placeholder" until I can have a custom steel hardtail built next year. Total weight came out to be about 26.75 lbs (with the pictured WTB Mutanoraptors - probably 27+ with the Nevegals), so it's certainly not svelte. I tested 5 different rear tires to check the rear clearance before I settled on the 2.1 Nevegal - see my post here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=219361

Only one ride on it so far - everything was great except major seatpost slippage. Ride 1/2 mile. Stop and raise the post. Ride 1/4 mile. Stop and raise the post. Ride 100 yards. Stop and raise the post. Curse, swear, b!tch, moan. Yes, I'm not too happy, but what can you expect from a $249 el cheapo, Taiwanese frame? I've had this problem before with a Thomson post in a steel frame (Gunnar Rockhound) and I eventually had to have the post knurled to keep it in place. Other than this major complaint, I'm pretty happy with the Zion.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Map Maker
    wow thats strange I've had two different posts in my frame - ( a weyless and a Kalloy post) and nary a slip. I have a salsa seat post clamp too - the kind you tighten with a 5mm allen wrench.

maybe a shim from a beer can or somthing would fix it?
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    wow thats strange I've had two different posts in my frame - ( a weyless and a Kalloy post) and nary a slip. I have a salsa seat post clamp too - the kind you tighten with a 5mm allen wrench.

maybe a shim from a beer can or somthing would fix it?
    I hadn't heard of this frame having post slippage problems like other bikes, but it's not uncommon for the factory to incorrectly ream the inside of a seat tube. I'm going to try a couple of fixes and maybe a different post and/or a Surly Constrictor clamp.

What's that rear tire you're running on your Zion?

Map Maker
    A Maxxis Larson TT 2.0 - not too big and tons of room for a high volume tire.
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I want to order a Zion 660 gearie frame but don't know what size to get. I will be running a Magura Ronin 110mm fork.

I am 6'00" tall with a 33" inseam. My current frame is a 19" but I know that doesn't really mean anything since it is from a different manufacturer?

What size do you suggest and will this fork be ok with the frame?

Aug 2006
    Very sharp looking ride! Red looks great on white.
    Is this frame (steel) noticably smoother than the average Aluminum?

Map Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by soslow
    I want to order a Zion 660 gearie frame but don't know what size to get. I will be running a Magura Ronin 110mm fork.

I am 6'00" tall with a 33" inseam. My current frame is a 19" but I know that doesn't really mean anything since it is from a different manufacturer?

What size do you suggest and will this fork be ok with the frame?

I think that fork will be fine. I would go by top tube measurement. check and see what your current 19" frame top tube is and compare that to the geometry chart at Jenson.
    I am 6'2" with a 32" inseam and I got the 19" frame. the top tube was like 23.75" It is a perfect fit for me. I am also running a 120mm stem.

ZION GEOMETRY*
    15" 17" 19" 21"
    Headtube Angle 71 71 71.5 71.5
    Seattube Angle 73.5 73.5 73 73
    Top Tube (effective) 22.24" 22.99" 23.74" 24.13"
    Chainstay 16.73" 16.73" 16.73" 16.73"
    Wheelbase 41.02" 41.81" 42.17" 42.60"
    Bottom Bracket Height 11.69" 11.69" 11.69" 11.69"
    Headtube Length 3.74" 4.13" 4.92" 6.50"
    BB Shell 68mm 68mm 68mm 68mm
    Front Derailleur 28.6mm, top pull for all frames
    Seat Clamp 30.0mm 30.0mm 30.0mm 30.0mm
    Seatpost 27.2mm 27.2mm 27.2mm 27.2mm
    Standover Height 27.70" 29.11" 30.63" 32.42"
    Weight 4.3 lbs 4.45 lbs 4.65 lbs 4.85 lbs
    Last edited by cbchess; 08-24-2006 at 06:58 AM.
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

Map Maker
    here is the geometry table for Zion 660 Frames:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

Map Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by siskiyou
    Very sharp looking ride! Red looks great on white.
    Is this frame (steel) noticably smoother than the average Aluminum?

I think the frame is Much smoother that normal Aluminum frames.
    A smooth and supple ride is how I would describe it.
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

Aug 2006
    I think the frame is Much smoother that normal Aluminum frames.
    A smooth and supple ride is how I would describe it.
    Hmm... I may take the plunge, since I picked up a budget Al bike to beat around town & light trail use, but it has a brutally stiff frame. I think a frame transplant may be just what the doctor ordered, especially since the 19" 660 has a little longer toptube which I prefer.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Once I fixed the little slipping seatpost issue (sidewalk chalk instead of grease on the post), I'm very pleased with the trail manners of the Zion. I've had eight steel hardtail frames, ranging from a budget Redline Monocog to a semi-zooty Gunnar Rockhound, and I have to say that the Zion rides as well as any higher-end steel I've ever been on. Definitely worth all $249.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Just finished mine

I had zero issues with the build. I run Maxxis larsen Mimo 2.0s, which are pretty skinney, so no tire clearance issues. Marz MX Pro fork, with a rebound adjuster that doesn't really do anything. It fell off within an hour anyway, but that's okay, the fork is buttery smooth. I can't believe Jenson says this was designed around an 80mm fork. With 100mm the handling is sharp. Acceleration is snappy, and it is definitely a smoother ride than any of the alu frames I've ridden.

Quote Originally Posted by arkadi
    I had zero issues with the build. I run Maxxis larsen Mimo 2.0s, which are pretty skinney, so no tire clearance issues. Marz MX Pro fork, with a rebound adjuster that doesn't really do anything. It fell off within an hour anyway, but that's okay, the fork is buttery smooth. I can't believe Jenson says this was designed around an 80mm fork. With 100mm the handling is sharp. Acceleration is snappy, and it is definitely a smoother ride than any of the alu frames I've ridden.
    Yeah, 100mm is the only way to go for a general use hardtail. 80mm is for race bikes. A 100mm fork can be run softer, and will hardly make a difference. My Tomac hardtail is allegedly designed for an 80mm fork too - pfft!
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Nice ride, but way too clean.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

mtbr member
    Callin' out the 660 EBB's! Where's all the 660 Single Speed lovin?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Yeah.. where are the 860EBBs!! Please post one soon or I will be forced to post a pic of my 853EBB

Incredulous bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Sandman
    Callin' out the 660 EBB's! Where's all the 660 Single Speed lovin?
    Hm. 660EBB. I don't have any proper show-'em-off shots, so action photos will have to do.

And:

mtbr member
    Hey all, this is my first post. I wanted to share my new build.

I just finished building my zion last night and took it for it's maiden voyage today at French Creek state park in PA. My build could be a little lighter (I'm guessing around 26.5 pounds) but overall I'm very happy with my build. This is my first bike with disc brakes and they are so worth the added weight.

Frame: ZION 660 19"
    Fork: Rockshox Recon 327 100mm
    Brakes: Avid Juicy 5
    Cranks: Deore/XT BB
    Shifters: SRAM X.7 trigger
    R/Derailleur: SRAM X.7
    F/Derailleur: XT
    Stem: Raceface Evolve XC 100mm
    Handlebar: Raceface Dues XC low riser
    Seatpost: Racefave Evolove XC
    Saddle: WTB Speed comp (getting replaced)
    Tires: Panaracer Fire XC Pro
    Rims/wheels: Mavic Crossride
    Headset: Cane Creek S3

Nice. Like HardDrive's white 660, the red tyres set it all off nicely.
    Less isn't MOAR

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Very nice, marks_bike!

It looks great!

Feb 2009
    My new build.

Frame: ZION 660 19"
    Fork: Redline Aluminum
    Brakes: Avid BB7
    Brake Levers: XTR
    Cranks: Cook Brothers E Series
    Bottom Bracket: XT
    Stem: Bontrager Race X lite
    Handlebar: Aerus XC Carbon
    Grips: Oury Lock Ons
    Seatpost: Thomson
    Saddle: E3 Titanium
    Tires: Tioga Blue Dragon 2.1 Front, Tioga Red Phoenix 1.9 Rear
    Tubes: Performance Lunar Lights
    Rims/wheels: Bontrager Race
    Headset: FSA Pig
    Chainring: Salsa 34 tooth
    Cog: King 20 tooth
    Chain: Wipperman
    Pedals: Time ATAC Carbon
    Skewers: Titanium (non quick release)[/FONT]

" width="549">
    Last edited by gimmethebeta; 03-26-2009 at 09:15 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0