my VF2 Project- Mtbr.com

Thread: my VF2 Project

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

my VF2 Project

So this all started out earlier this year... (If you don't want a long winded story that has little to do with anything skip to the bike build)

My Fontana story
    After landing in LA after a flight from the other side of the globe i went straight out to Fontana to see what the scene was like in the US. Let me tell you guys how lucky you are... that event was awesome... And food and ice cream so close as well

Anyways 36 hours no sleep the guys from chumba convince me that racing super D is super fun, not having raced it ever before i was keen as, and having a selection of Chumba's to choose from sealed the deal. Went to register... can't race open men's you don't have an international liscence... old mens class it is then, just let me ride.....

Having grabed a medium XCL and played with the setup, and trying to figure out how it was going to be possible to turn on all this loose dust that seemed to cover everything i was off to the start line.... Getting ready for the start some guy on an IBIS asks me if an XCL wasn't to heavy to race... I replyed that i wasn't planning on carrying it or lifting it up and down, but that infact my intention was to ride this particular bike. No, not very nice, but it had now been about 37hours since i had last slept and that was a stupid statement....
    Bang, or was that a "GO" some running, yelling, pedaling and we were off, I managed to clear the climb in first by a fair margin... on the descent the lack of track knowledge, and that dusty stuff wasn't so great. With second place having made a bit of ground, i A - line it down to the fire road through some soft stuff. This is where i managed to loose my front wheel... right foot unclips fine and makes its way over the top of handle bar ok. Left one hasn't unclipped yet but boy im going to face plant it soon if i don't get my left foot in front of me... pulling harder i manage to bring the whole bike racing foward (foot was still clipped in) SMACK.... the top tube has whacked me straight between the legs... I was in shock!!! my ears were ringing.. Somehow the bike landed next to me... and i was back on the bike as i was caught....i stuck on his wheel to end... not sure if my lungs, or other parts were in more pain... a flat front tyre right at the end prevented an hopes of battling for 1st... but 2nd was awesome seeing that i should have still be trying to pull my head out of the sand. Anyway what i was trying to say was that i absolutely loved everything about that super D race.... and i wanted to build a bike up specifically for it...

Big shout out to Walter from Chumba for sorting me out with a choice of bikes and inviting me into his Truck for the day... cheers!

.. pic of the winner comenting on my gracefull dismounting style....

My VF2 build....

large VF2 frame with 7.5x2.0 shock (yes its shorter!!! = lower bb slacker Head angle ) no it doesn't rub still get a about 1cm room at full bottom out with a Maxxis Larson 2.0

20mm thru forks 120mm (don't need anymore)

1x9 i have been riding this for a few months now... all good as long as the ride is under 2 hours...

inverted stem... stay low over the front of the bike... you will go faster...

weight (in case the IBIS guy is reading) 26.2lbs (11.9kg) with pedals, tubes, and bottle cage.

mtbr member
    So what are you doing with the XCL?

yarrrp
    May 2007
    what's the point of a drop stem with riser bars? Couldn't you just run a flat bar and the stem normal?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hairygut
    what's the point of a drop stem with riser bars? Couldn't you just run a flat bar and the stem normal?
    yeah you could probably get a simillar bar height. I just had those bars about, and need to play with setup a bit before i work out final build..more and more companies are bringing out nice wide flat bars with a good sweep these days so that could be on the cards...

yarrrp
    May 2007
    ah. well anything in the name of cost effectiveness and speed

mtbr member
    Hey!

What are the numbers for the headangle and BB height with that shock? How does it feel compared to 7.875?
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yeah, Pushrides, we need some bigger hills, or access to some around the "Gap Creek/Nebo" area for some Super D over here. As you know too many Enduro races at the moment, we need some more Fun stuff like Super D to happen here. Would be sweet
    Defcon Cycles - Brisbane Australia

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Sorry about the delayed response...

Had some fork issues (but that has been sorted now) and then i have been to busy riding to measure bb hieght...

well i got around to it this afternoon bb sits at almost spot on 13" with maxxis larson 2" tyre rear ignitor 1.9 (or whatever there are) front... i guess the HT would be about the same as it is standard with a 140mm fork as i am only running 120..

absoultly love this bike... Got third outright in a Endurance DH three weeks ago, and its backing up for an XC race next weekend (fingers crossed for more podiums (and the prizes!!!))

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by PlushRides
    Sorry about the delayed response...

Had some fork issues (but that has been sorted now) and then i have been to busy riding to measure bb hieght...

well i got around to it this afternoon bb sits at almost spot on 13" with maxxis larson 2" tyre rear ignitor 1.9 (or whatever there are) front... i guess the HT would be about the same as it is standard with a 140mm fork as i am only running 120..

absoultly love this bike... Got third outright in a Endurance DH three weeks ago, and its backing up for an XC race next weekend (fingers crossed for more podiums (and the prizes!!!))
    Right on - what chainring size is that? Are you running a larger can RP23? How does it feel?
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    36 tooth front 11-34 rear..

yeah its a larger can, It feels awesome though i am not sure i am convinced about the forced bottom out resistance on the new fox rp23's though.

Like all chumba full sus bikes the travel is totally useable so it feels like more travel out on the trail compared to a lot of other manufacturers bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PlushRides
    36 tooth front 11-34 rear..

yeah its a larger can, It feels awesome though i am not sure i am convinced about the forced bottom out resistance on the new fox rp23's though.

Like all chumba full sus bikes the travel is totally useable so it feels like more travel out on the trail compared to a lot of other manufacturers bikes.
    what's the supposed advantage of the larger can?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    So its been a while and i have spent some good time on this bike racing some XC (only veteran category this year though as i am doing some dh)

So since the last post i have taken a few wins and 1 very bad loss. Anywho i sprung for a set of flat bars, which helps me get the power down. I am also running 10psi more in the rear shock than i used to, and slowed the rebound down, less active but much faster.. (ha ha dare i say that this properly tunned vf2 has better real world results over current vpp, dw bikes that i smashed at this mornings race??, no i probably shouldn't, but my above statement is true)

I think its getting your position right on this bike for pedalling that will make it shine if you want to race it. If i had the cash i would like to try a fox shock without the bottom out stuff they come with now, as i am happy to use my legs if i am hucking of a big drop...

Anyhow thought i would take a pic after cleaning it this morning... just feeling all upbeat after taking win this morning (and a few to many energy drinks) and wanted to share the bike that made it possible.

cheers all !!!

gnuH
    Nice 1x9 setup.
    A green bird with a red body. We could look it up in a book. Or we could look up

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Wow, hot bike!!!

Can you describe the riding traits of that setup?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Shyt that bike looks sexy and fast!

Members who have read this thread: 0