My Ti, not to be confused with Mai Tai- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

My Ti, not to be confused with a Mai Tai

back in april or so i began the enviable task of searching for a frame builder. those who have done this before might chime it that i's actually an unenviable task due to the plethora of info and builders to choose from. along the way i got to ride some great bikes (vicious, moots, seven) and had discussions with some well known builders. by some stroke of luck i saw this post, https://forums.mtbr.com/custom-builders-other-manufacturers/custom-ti-thylacine-189449.html, and sent an email to warwick on a friday afternoon before i left work(eastern US). by the time i got home the email was already answered (sat morning AU time).

i'd actually already made up my mind to go with someone else and didn't really expect it to go anywhere. i had already been to https://www.thylacinecycles.com and read a few of warwick's articles but truly expected his build time and price to not be competative due to the location difference. after exchanging a few emails with him throughout the weekend i got the warm and fuzzy and decided he would be the guy who gets to build me a bike.

warwick and i chatted on IM a great deal about what kind of terrain i ride, how much i ride, my bikes and what i like/dislike, etc. we went through 4 different designs and finally settled on this:

i had never been through the custom process before and it couldn't have been easier. all i knew up front was i wanted a Ti XC hardtail with paragon sliding dropouts. the rest was up to warwick. i felt he knew what he was doing because every single time i asked why he chose a certian length tube or chose a particular angle he had a perfectly sensible explaination.

2 months of agonozing waiting and my frame arrived. a few days later the remainder of my parts arrived and the result is what you see below.

some highlights:
    bare frame weight (no slider hardware) = 1492g
    total bike weight = 21.5lbs
    hope hubs = loud and obnoxious
    all paragon cable stops drilled out for full length housing
    standover clearance = massive
    fit = perfect

so in summary if you're in the market for a custom mtb or road bike add thylacine cycles to your list.

well it's now just about 5:30 which means the work day is over and i'm going for a ride.
    Last edited by lanceh; 10-02-2006 at 12:31 PM.

mtbr member

Good job! Sweetness

Your bike looks amazing, subtle and classy. It also looks fast I love the headtube badge. Looking forward to the first ride impressions - where are you going to get it dirty?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    must be super fast because apparently i rode right past you at white clay on saturday. huhuhu. i've ridden every day since she was built up on friday night. getting better every ride.

i can't truly comment on the climbing ability yet because i haven't taken it anywhere with any significant hills but so far so good. this coming saturday's 'one gear good beer' festival will be its first test at whissahickon. it handles the quick stuff like nothing i've ever ridden before. i have so much confidence to go faster and faster. and the super slow technical stuff. OMG. i just got back from mercer and anyone who knows the park has ridden "the maze" it's the kind of place where people with big bikes and wide bars (just like me) don't do so well in because it's so tight and twisty. i cruised through that section quicker than i ever thought possible and rarely even had to stand up. this thing turns on a dime.
    Last edited by lanceh; 08-21-2006 at 06:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceh
    must be super fast because apparently i rode right past you at white clay on saturday. huhuhu. i've ridden every day since she was built up on friday night. getting better every ride.
    Glad you are liking it! I can't believe I did not see you on Saturday, those stripey stripes are certainly unique. That said, I think I was off with the pixies on Saturday. Maybe all that delicious singletrack sent me into some sort of catatonia

May 2006
    Looks sweet as lance. The blue hope gear is a nice touch.
    I ride hope hubs too (Pro II) and loud and obnoxious is probably the best description.

I've had similar experience riding my arete Ti, handles like a dream, and you kinda don't want to get off it at the end of the day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    thanks royale_ yours is equally as beautiful. how do you like the R7? mine should arive on thursday which isn't soon enough because the skareb currently installed is an absolute POS.

May 2006
    Thanks lance.

The R-7 is great, works really well. I've had not issues at all.

I probably prefer my Fox F80RLC for ride quality and stiffness but hey, it weighs over 170g more, and I'm a bit of weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I Scotchbrited it extra hard to save 5 grams
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    beautiful bike and great finishing details!

Members who have read this thread: 0