My Orca- Mtbr.com

Thread: My Orca

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

My Orca

Here we go again, I love the zion so much that I decided to use winter as an excuse to upgrade and work on the bike. Decided to go with a black and white scheme, aka the ORCA!! So here it as after about 4 months of upgrading:

This is my first use of lock on grips, and man is it easy to install and remove and doesn't slip at all! Spank lock ons in white.

New 08 XT derailleurs are smooth as butter, such an upgrade over my 06 LX stuff.

I really like Syncro's stuff, super light and hot in white. The top cap was standard cane creek black, so I stripped it and painted it anodize blue.

Since Zion frames have a funny seat tube diameter, I had to paint the generic zion one white to add some color coordination.

Accented these white smarty's with blue rails too.

And since I now live in Michigan, decided to stud up an old pair of tires with some sheet metal screws. Run's great! Went to Lakeshore today and traction was exellent. Althought there was very little ice, so I may just run my normal fire pro's.

Auto touch up paint is EXELLENT! Looks great and also pretty durable for low traffic parts like a seatpost clamp.

mtbr member
    Looks great!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks! Rides awesome too! I've never had a bike this light and responsive, sooooo sweet. Can't wait for the snow to thaw so I can hit the trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by harryzhong
    Thanks! Rides awesome too! I've never had a bike this light and responsive, sooooo sweet. Can't wait for the snow to thaw so I can hit the trails.
    Actually, you can go lighter... But for the price point, I think this is a great deal.
    Which headset are you using, and is the fork knob hitting the frame?
    I have this problem, will probably switch to an FSA pig in order to avoid the fork hitting the frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    yeah, i got some great deals on the XT parts since a friend of mine has a shop.

i'm probably still around 26 lbs, but so much lighter than my last bike, a 32 lb jamis full suspension.

i'm using a cane creek S3 headset right now and it does hit:

killerwhale.jpg

i mean, thats if i rotate my handlebar all the way around, which i never do while riding.

i guess the only issue is when its parked and swings around.

mtbr member
    It's not the turning limitation you should be worried about...

If (Knocks on wood 3 times) you crash and the fork damages the frame, it might crack (Below the head tube is where most of the stress takes place).

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    ohhhh, crap.

hmm, so if I get a new headset like the fsa one, will it give me issues in terms of the steerer length? I have it perfect right now, will I have to take out a spacer from below the stem?

mtbr member

Exatamundo

These are little things we tend to learn the hard way, unless someone else wiser informs us here on MTBR. Definitely get a different headset and yes you'll have to take a spacer out from under the stem if you have it setup properly. You can use this headset by Cane Creek, it's their S3 PLUS for just such an occasion.

Nice looking Zion BTW, very cool
    Quote Originally Posted by yules
    It's not the turning limitation you should be worried about...

If (Knocks on wood 3 times) you crash and the fork damages the frame, it might crack (Below the head tube is where most of the stress takes place).
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    ey thanks for the link lynx, I'm tapped out on my bugdet but a new headset is definitely my next upgrade. Maybe ill just wrap some rubber or foam around the frame for now.

And thanks for the complement! It was kinda hard finding white components that I don't have to sell a kidney for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    These are little things we tend to learn the hard way, unless someone else wiser informs us here on MTBR.
    I'll tell my mechanic, It didn't bother me either until he warned me.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I found out Twice the hard way on my RIP9, but with the TT. 1st time was on the initial build back at the end of June putting the bars to low which let the shifters come into contact with the TT if the bars swung right around - damaged was only superficial, small paint scratch. 2nd time was just 2 weekends ago, having not been riding anything new or too tech when I installed the new Thomson in late Dec - wasn't as lucky as the first, gouged the paint and did some damage to the actual alu.

Quote Originally Posted by yules
    I'll tell my mechanic, It didn't bother me either until he warned me.
    Last edited by LyNx; 02-18-2008 at 01:58 PM.
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Apr 2006
    ohhhh, crap.

hmm, so if I get a new headset like the fsa one, will it give me issues in terms of the steerer length? I have it perfect right now, will I have to take out a spacer from below the stem?
    Chris King Headset and use Ventana's 4 or 7 mm race spacer, had the same problem and it is no more. Nice ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Oh man, king headsets are money. How are they better than the CC s3?

Apr 2006
    Oh man, king headsets are money. How are they better than the CC s3?
    S-3 is a great headset, its just Ventana makes their race spacer for Kings.

mtbr member
    HarryZhong, much, much cheaper to buy the S3 PLUS headset than to buy a CK headset and then Ventana race spacer. Personally on the CK headset thing, I'd rather not and get either a Cane Creek SOLOs or HOPE headset - come in the same pretty ano colours, but both have the CC patented ring, instead of the o-ring CK uses because it's to cheap to license it from CC.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    yeah, i decided on the S3 based on friend's recommendations and the fact it was a great value.

i'm sure the kings are better in some respect but i haven't been able to tell the difference between headsets yet, I guess i'm still a bit wet behind the ears. I just graduated from a 04 jamis that was all stock with some crappy hayes mx1 disc brakes, hehe.

but as I ride more, hopefully I'll begin to know what a good headset feels like. although the possibility of crashing and cracking my frame with my fork knob is pretty good reason to at least get the s3 plus. hmmmmm.

Members who have read this thread: 0