My new Seven Sola- Mtbr.com
    MTB SOCAL

My new Seven Sola

I've been riding full suspension since 1995. But, I've been itching to build up a ti hardtail for a while. I came across a 2005 ti Seven Sola frame on ebay. It was in great condition except the stickers were peeling a bit. I replaced the stickers, built it up with some parts I had and some new parts. Now, it's ready to roll. My LBS weighed it at about 21.5 lbs - not bad considering I wasn't trying to build it super light. I can't wait to get it dirty!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

MTB SOCAL

Ti headset spacers

I finally ordered some ti headset spacers - I didn't like the way the carbon ones looked. In the meantime, I'll run this pink King spacer I found.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    You owe me a new keybaord! I sprayed my drink all over the place in excitement when I saw those pictures!

That is soooo awesome - Dream hardtail of mine! Perfect!

I agree with you on the spacers, the carbon ones didn't belong, the Pink are better but I think the Ti will be soo nice!

No good in rock gardens..
    Jeebers. Super scheweet!!
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Gosh.... What a beauty..

if those weenies parts on the bike wasn't intend to be light.. what is?

21.5 great weight to race marathons especially on a Ti setup..

Dec 2003
    saddle's too far foward....

mtbr member
    When trying to build a heavy bike for a customer, I too spec SID World Cups, XTR, ZTR Oly rims and King hubs. Magura Martas, and Easton Monkeylite SL bars because they are all cheap and heavy.
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

mtbr member
    Nice ride man.
    What stem is that?
    Lenny

MTB SOCAL

Thanks

The stem is a generic ti stem I picked up on ebay. The brand is Launch Racing. I took the stickers off. And, I did move the seat back after the pics were taken.
    Kokopelli Racing

MTB SOCAL

Ti spacers

I finally installed the ti headset spacers. It looks cleaner now. I'm just waiting for another set of stickers from Seven since I messed up the "Sola" sticker (put is on a little crooked ).
    Kokopelli Racing

MTB SOCAL

Sola sticker

Finally received the new "Sola" sticker from Seven. Now, the bike is ready to ride!
    Kokopelli Racing

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    How hard were the stickers to put on? I have a complete set for my Axiom and I am building up the courage to take them off and put new ones on. They aren't cheap!

Axiom is such a sweet ride; first Ti bike I have ever liked...got it fer a great price on the E-BAY.

(Forgive the Road Bike!)

MTB SOCAL

Nice bike

The stickers are actually very easy to put on. Unfortunately, I messed up my first set because I put one of them on a little crooked. Once you decide where you want the stickers on the top and down tubes, I would make a reference line in pencil on the midline of the tube so you can line up the sticker. Put it down in the middle only at first. You can lift up and correct alignment without problems at this point. Once you like the alignment, start working your way around the tube, first on one side, then the other applying the sticker. The stickers are of pretty thick material, making easy to apply without air bubbles or wrinkles. It was actually harder to get the adhesive off the bike from the old stickers! Good luck.
    Kokopelli Racing

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hi Yangpei,

I saw on your first message you've been riding a full suspension bike since 1995 before you got your Sola... I am thinking about that move too after 6 years of full but I am a bit concerned about the comfort for my back.

I'd like to know your feelings after your first rides with the Sola... especially about the comfort of the ride compared to a full... and the efficiency of course

Thanks.

PS: Your Sola is beautiful

MTB SOCAL

So far, so good

I've only done two off-road rides on the Sola thus far. The geometry of a bike with a relatively low front end and 80 mm fork is very different than my FS bikes. It definitely was very comfortable climbing. I haven't really done anything too technical in terms of descent, but it handles very well on twisty singletrack. It reminds you to pick smoother lines and ride using your legs to help absorb some trail impacts. I was a little worried about my back as well, but so far it's been okay. If you build up a hardtail, you can set it up with a taller front end / riser stem / riser bar / or spacers to raise the front a bit. I do have about 20 mm spacers under the stem and a 3/4 inch riser bar. But, I haven't spent too much time on the bike yet. After I finished the Sola about 3 weeks ago, I came across a great deal on a Ellsworth Moment frame. Now, I have a newly built up Moment as well. So, the Sola hasn't seen too much saddle time. I will definitely choose the FS for technical rides, but the Sola is great for smoother cross country rides / races. The efficiency is beyond compare.
    Kokopelli Racing

KOKOPELLI RACING
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky3
    saddle's too far foward....
    that's because he's a TRIATHLETE...
    kokopelli racing

kev
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    off topic, but, I'm checking out this post (very sweet ti hard tail, btw...) and I look up at sideknobs avatar and realize that the little guy is thrusting perfectly in time with "Out of the Rain," by the Duhks - which I'm listening to on mvyradio.com. quite amusing. reminds me of drunken dancing at those parties after the rugby matches...

kev

FAT CHANCE!
    stem looks like an older Titec maybe?

Mar 2006
    Hi Yang...nice looking ride. I too just picked up a Sola on EBay...can't wait to give it a roll. I've been banging around on a couple Airborne's over the last 2 years (LS, B29, Black Widow) and have really enjoyed them. Yeah they are made in China and don't have the clean welds of a Moots or Seven, but they handle really well and are comfortable.

I thought I'd take a step up to a Seven and see what the fuss is about. I'm already getting a sense that the frames are lighter. Be interesting to see if I can tell the difference ride wise. My BW is right at 22 1/4lbs with a SID WC, CK ZTR's, XO drive train/shifters and XTR Crank. I put a Fox F100RLT on it and it went up to about 23lbs.

I'll tell ya, after riding the SID, I really like a 4" travel fork. I have a Reba WC that I'm gonna swap onto the Seven (It has a SID WC). You might want to consider it. Yeah it will add about 3/4lb to the bike, but I've found that the plushness of the 4" travel forks is nice and yeah the geometry gets slackened a bit but it makes descending a little smoother.

Just a thought...

Mar 2006
    Oh...here's a low res shot of the bike. I'll post better picks when I get it dialed in.

Mar 2006

Hope Depends what ya want...your back doesn't have to hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Scalfred
    I saw on your first message you've been riding a full suspension bike since 1995 before you got your Sola... I am thinking about that move too after 6 years of full but I am a bit concerned about the comfort for my back.
    I've found that back issues have more to do with cockpit layout rather than HT vs. FS. Yeah, a HT bounces around a lot in the rear on rocky terrain, but that forces ya to pick a clean line and not challenge stuff as much.

As Yang has pointed out he has 20mm of spacer stack under the stem. I ride about 15mm on the HT and 20-25 on the FS bikes. Also, as I pointed out, you can run a 4" fork and get the front end up a bit.

What difference does all of this make? Well running an 80mm fork is lighter and will get your weight over the front end making climbing a little more efficient. However, with lockout and platform these days it becomes mute. I believe the real reason behind the hunched over XC cockpit layout has more to do with aerodynamics as well as the forward weight bias. Unfortunately it also strains your back. However, if your just racing for 2hrs or so no biggie. Comfort is not the big concern, speed and aerodynamics is. If however, you're doing a 24Hr race then you might want to be more upright.

So bottomline is I have my HT a little more compact in the cockpit than my FS bikes but not by much (using 4" fork, 120mm stem, 15mm stack height) and it is pretty comfortable over the long haul.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    how are your inner thighs doing? any good cuts from those side routed cables?

MTB SOCAL

No thigh cuts yet

So far, I really haven't noticed any problems with the cable location on the side. Then again, I haven't spent too much time on the bike yet.
    Kokopelli Racing

Mar 2006
    Hey Yang...got the Seven delivered. Unfortunately UPS lost half the bike (rear wheel and seat). I was fortunate to have some I9's around and an extra seat to set up. Here's some shots of the little dancer. I'm waiting for the snow here in Albuquerque to melt so I can get some ride time in before Ol' Pueblo in February. We'll see how it rolls then in the desert night.

MTB SOCAL

Dirty Sola

I haven't been on the Sola in months. But, with Sea Otter coming up, I was thinking about using the Sola for XC. I rode the Sola today and had a blast. I had to work a little harder picking lines than with my FS rides, but enjoyed the ride. Since my bikes are rarely dirty for long, here's a dirty pic of the Sola.
    Kokopelli Racing

jrv
    mtbr member

Climbing?

T-

Which is more efficient with the climbs, the Seven Sola or the Moment with the ICT?

Anyways, that is one sexy dirty bike.

MTB SOCAL

Climbing

On smooth, fireroad climbs, there is no comparison. The seven is very effecient and 10 lbs lighter than the Moment. Having said that, the Moment is amazingly effecient for a 6 in travel bike, especially during seated climbing. However, as soon as the climbing gets rocky / technical, the FS really starts to shine - keeping the rear wheel in contact with the ground.
    Kokopelli Racing

Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by yangpei
    On smooth, fireroad climbs, there is no comparison. The seven is very effecient and 10 lbs lighter than the Moment. Having said that, the Moment is amazingly effecient for a 6 in travel bike, especially during seated climbing. However, as soon as the climbing gets rocky / technical, the FS really starts to shine - keeping the rear wheel in contact with the ground.
    I'm with ya...but ride a little different set of rigs. I have the Seven Sola for XC racing. At 22lbs it flat out gets it, but when the going gets a little rougher, I pull the 25lb Exo-Grid Racer-X outta the stall. It deals nicely in most of the more technical terrain. Aces down anyone?

However, when I wanna go "hit sh!t"....its the 6" travel Foes FXR that "gits er done"!!! I haven't ridden a Moment, but I think its probably pretty similar. At 34lbs its smooth as silk runnin' through the baby heads.

Ya can never have enough choices in my wirld...where do you want to go play today???
    Last edited by Dropin%Dug; 02-01-2007 at 09:32 PM.

MTB SOCAL

To Dropin%Dug

Hey, I was wondering how the Seven felt with the 100mm fork. The more I ride the SID, the more I'm thinking about getting a Fox 80 or 100. Did the longer fork adversely affect your geometry much?
    Kokopelli Racing

jrv
    mtbr member

100mm

The kelly I am putting together is designed for 85mm suspension. However, I will be putting a Reba 100mm (air fork). If I find the bike too slack with the 100mm fork, I can always run more sag on the fork to make it steeper. If weight is not a concern, I would go with a 100mm air fork instead of the SID.

MTB SOCAL

F80 or F100

I'm looking at replacing the SID with a FOX F80 RLC or F100 RLC. I was looking at the
    F80X and F100X, but I'm not sold on the terralogic yet. I have to do some more research. Any opinions? Thanks.
    Kokopelli Racing

Mar 2006
    Hey Yang...I rode the Seven down at Ol' Pueblo for 4 laps. It rode well but the SID was pretty stiff for even that terrain and by lap 4 my hands were feeling it.

After having ridden SID's on a couple bikes, I'm convinced they are OK for REAL smooth buff ST, but for the rugged nature of the trails here in the SW, give me some cush. The SID's beat the hell out of ya.

I have a Reba on my Titus Racer-X and I just put one on the Seven. I love the lockout control on the Reba's. Much more reliable than the one on the SID (it kept sticking at Tucson).

I just rode it for the first time tonight and felt right at home. The extra inch of travel has slackened the geometry a touch but it still steers like a stilleto. I like that my weight is back a bit and I can get some grip on the rear. I did note that the front wheel got light on some real steep climbs but I just scootched up on the saddle and it sat back down fine.

It definitly absorbs a lot better and seems less nervous at speed in the rough stuff. That could be because of the 32mm stanchions or the extra travel. Bottomline is it felt solid. I picked up a little more than a 1/2lb. Went from 22 1/4 to just a touch under 23lbs. I'm good with it....life's a compromise.

So you asking me??? I'd say go 4".

Pictures when I get time.....

MTB SOCAL

Thanks

I think I'm leaning towards moving up to a 100mm fork. I have Fox forks on my Moto-lite and my Moment, so I love their plush travel. I'll probably pick up a F100RLC or F100X soon. The 07 F-series forks are about 3.49 lbs, which should make the bike about an even 22 lbs with the new fork. Still respectable. Thanks again for the input.
    Kokopelli Racing

MTB SOCAL

Wow

I rode the Sola for the first time after switching to the F100 RLC. What a difference! The bike still climbed very well, but felt much more stable descending. The fork was much stiffer that the SID. I didn't like riding the Sola that much before because I always felt too leaned forward. Now, it feels very comfortable - yet retains excellent climbing.
    Kokopelli Racing

Mar 2006
    Wow is right...looks great Yang. The white on white works.

I think you made a wise move going 100mm. I've been out training on my Sola for the last week and I'm really loving the feel of the Reba. You're right that the extra inch does change the geometry a bit but it feels good. A little more upright and definitely much more comfortable. As I said, I picked up an extra 1/2lb or so. What did you come in at???

I'm going out for a training ride tomorrow evening and will get some picks of the Sola with the Reba....more to follow.

MTB SOCAL

Sola weight

I haven't weighed it since I switched to the Fox. It was about 21.5 lbs with the SID. I would guess it's right about 22 lbs even as it stands. My buddy, Eric, was also on the ride yesterday. He was also on a Sola, but he was running a 80mm fork. I think he's considering moving to 100 as well. I'm still running tubes currently. Eventually, I'll get some different tires and run Stan's like my other bikes. Let's see pics of your Sola / Reba when you get some.
    Kokopelli Racing

Members who have read this thread: 0