my new evo- Mtbr.com

Thread: my new evo

mtbr member

my new evo

I got a new evo built up a couple days ago. I haven't had much time to ride her yet, definitly not enough for a thoruogh ride report.
    I have, however, launched a few staircases and jumped off some 4-5' retaining walls. This bike is incredibly plush. 5' drop to flat concrete? No problem! Launching a staircase and riding it out? No problem! Besides my chain slapping the crap out of my stay, I may as well have been landing on sculpted dirt jump tranny.
    So far, I'm absolutely loving this bike. I do wish I could lock out the rear end though. My pike locks out, and it would be nice to able to lock out the back, and really stand up and hammer it out on some hills. I just haven't gotten used to the "sit and spin" yet. Maybe I'll apreciate it more in the dirt. Pedeling does feel very efficient though.
    When I really get her out in the dirt, I'll write a better report.
    Bring on the pics!

future off road maniac

Jun 2006
    nice setup man

nerfherder
    Nice ride. I thought the Evo climbed pretty well out of the saddle without a lockout. But that's probably all personal preference.

mtbr member
    I haven't had the chance to get any real climbing in, and I'm coming from a hardtail, so that's my reference point. With the propedel turned up all the way, the bob wasn't bad at all, I'm just not used to that squishy rear end.

mtbr member
    Very nice build! I think the PIKE is an excellent choice for the EVO.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

Specialized Rida
    Very nice

Compulsive Bike Builder

Does it fit?

I am amazed the bike fits you so well, you look a bit small for it in that last picture.

Cute curly hair, though.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDad
    I am amazed the bike fits you so well, you look a bit small for it in that last picture.

Cute curly hair, though.
    haha. That's one cute kid.

mtbr member
    thanks for the compliments, on the bike and the kid!(I'm pretty proud of them both). the pike so far has performed great on the urban type stuff I've hit, very smooth, very plush feel to it. I weigh about 210 and I have yet to bottom out the stock springset. the dhx air is performing really well too(I was a little leary of the air shock due to my weight and sometimes slightly clumsy riding style). I haven't had the chance to get her out on the mountain yet, but hopefully that will change today.

I'm having one problem though, I can't get the chain gap between the rear derailleur and the sprocket down to the 6mm that sram recommends in their manual. It's running around 3/4" to 1", even with the adjustment screw all the way out. the wrench at my lbs told me to shorten the chain, which I did by one link, but the problem persists. the bike seems to shift fine, but I get some clicking in certtain gear combos.
    any suggestions?

Compulsive Bike Builder

You mean b-tension?

Quote Originally Posted by hardway
    I'm having one problem though, I can't get the chain gap between the rear derailleur and the sprocket down to the 6mm that sram recommends in their manual. It's running around 3/4" to 1", even with the adjustment screw all the way out.
    I presume you are talking about the b-tension adjustment? It could still be chain length. Is the chain making noise in or close to small-small? Does the chain rub against itself as it wraps through the rear derailleur?

The best way to determine chain length is to place the chain in big/big completely removed from the derailleurs. The chain should be a pair of links (inner/outer plate pair) longer than you need for that. Round up 1/2 link if you need to. If the chain is too long, the rear derailleur wont be able to take up all the slack in small-small: the chain will hang slack or the chain will rub itself. If it is too short, getting into big-big will bind as the rear derailleur stretches too far, and you could damage your rear derailleur.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

mtbr member
    small small makes some clicking noise, and big big doesn't work anymore since I removed the link from my chain. big front to the next largest in back makes a clicking noise too.
    I started out sizing my chain with the "big to big + 2 links" technique, and I've since removed one link.
    the rear derailleur is canted towards the wheel a little too, I think this is the reason for the clicking sounds.
    here's some pics

mtbr member
    ok, I've figured out the reason for the unnatural angle of the rear der.
    I already bent my der. hanger! DAMN! I tried to jump out of the back of my truck yesterday morning and wiped out, must have happened then.
    that still doesn't explain my chain gap though.

Members who have read this thread: 0