My new 2008 "OMG" review.- Mtbr.com
    BMJ
    "55 lbs and climbing!"

My new 2008 "OMG" review.

Well it's actually spelled "EVO", but it should be "OMG", because "Oh My God, This thing ROCKS!!!!"

I've been putting off writing my thoughts on my 08 EVO till now. I wanted to be back in shape after a loooonnngg winter to give it a proper thrashin'.

It's a shame I had to waste the last two years of my life riding a VPP bike. The EVO for the New England area kicks it's ASS!!! This thing is "like budda" accross all the roots and baby head rocks that we have strewn through our area. Droppin' in....."Like landin' on a pillow!!!!" Sweeeeeet!!!!

I have to walk away from this right now, but I will follow with further thoughts soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    wow... getting me all excited too!!! I like hearing that being from the Northeast

BMJ
    "55 lbs and climbing!"

Back again.

Sorry, I'm at work posting and had to walk away to make money.

So, lets compare the EVO with my last two bikes.

My most recent ride was a Nomad with the fabled VPP system. Pro's...great sprinter, stiff rear end side to side, rolls (this is the key word to remember) through the rough stuff smooth and was the coolest looking bike I've ever owned. Con....One BIG issue for my area, chain induced action and reaction from the VPP system. This thing was like a dual personality bike. Rolling along or droppin off was quite smooth but cranking (here's where the problems arrise) agressively through rock gardens, rooty sections and most notibly climbs that had those within them (most of New England trails) were like riding a hardtail... actually worse. The VPP would stiffen up so aggressively under pedal load that the rear would lock out and release and lock out and release with each pedal stroke and stroke gap. Not only was this breaking my stride but the VPP pulls the rear tire forward as well, which when timed wrong, would yank the tire into the lip of a root or rock edge which would yank back on the chain and pedals and bring me to a halt. Pissed me off everytime I couldn't make a climb because of this and all this monkey motion was sucking the life out of me! Now, I'm sure this design has a place in the country, but in my opinion, not New England.

My bike before the Nomad was a Cannondale Jekyl low and behind the BB single pivot bike. I loved this bike at the time. I was doing more lighter duty riding at the time but wanted to step it up, with all the hype around VPP, I bought in. Dissapointingly, a lot of the traits that I thought would be rectified for my by the VPP system we're actually enhanced. I would have kept my Jekyl longer if I knew. My Pro's with the Jekyl were super stiff rear end side to side, good sprinter, good solid climbing traction & rolled through the rough well. Cons...two, first was I wanted more travel, second was the locking out and pedal feedback that was inherent with a single pivot design. The cons were what I was trying to get ride of but they just got worse with the VPP design.

Now for my thoughts on the EVO....
    I finally got to ride my 3 main areas that the VPP and single pivot bikes had plagued me the most. For those in the area...Lynn woods, Harold Parker & the Fells. I now feel I can judge this new ride against the others. Where do I begin....Lets see....Smoooooth!!! Traction!!! Next to no pedal feedback!!! I was riding last night on some trails strewn with rooty and rocky scramling climbs and I WAS AMAZED!!! The EVO may be more bike than this area warrented, but I had a blast!!! I felt like I was cheating. I rode and climbed everything that on the other bikes would beat the crap out of me....it was freekin awsome!!! The free activity of the rear under power was liberating, I picked lines that I wouldn't have considered bothering with in the past due to traction issues. I know that this may sound odd since the XCL is probably more the climber in the family, but the EVO shined! Coming back down was equally impressive. It's odd but something about the design makes my front shock seem more supple. I'm thinking that the downtube placed rocker pivot location and the free action of the rear wheel under power and braking have something to do with this. My take on this would be that under power or breaking on my other two bikes, the rear would lock out and force the front to take the hits solo. The EVOs active rear along with the rocker pivot being midway down the downtube causes some of the impact up front to be translated to the rear. Again... Sooooo Smooooth!!!! Drop off's....forgettaboutit....lands like a pillow!!!

The cons....hmmmm... let me think hard. There is still a hint of pedal feed back in the granny, but I suppose if it was totally free floating it would be mush under power. Steep rock face climbs can be tricky to get yourself centered properly to ride it too the top. And the rear end is stiff but the other two bikes I've had seemed a little stiffer side to side.
    These issues are nit picking. For a bike that's sold as an "all-mountain" bike verging on "free-ride", this thing hauls on the flats, out steers my Nomad and in some cases can out climb the shorter travel cross country competition!

My final thought on this comparison. My buddies last night tried to dash my giddyness by saying it was just the new bike excitement. Not true, I tried to love my Nomad and never had that new bike excitedness.

BMJ
    "55 lbs and climbing!"

So howz your EVO?

Quote Originally Posted by onabike
    wow... getting me all excited too!!! I like hearing that being from the Northeast
    Did you ever build up your EVO? Howz it riding for ya? ...or did you finally sell it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BMJ
    Did you ever build up your EVO? Howz it riding for ya? ...or did you finally sell it?
    not yet, I have it for sale here and have had a few trade offers. I hope to have it started or moved on to something new this week...If I only knew where to trade for an xcl...

BMJ
    "55 lbs and climbing!"

Enlightened!!!

I just got back from "B&T's" in Gloucester, MA. For those who know the area, it has EVO written all over it. Lots of rocks and big drops. Plenty of climbing as well.

Again "OMG" this thing is the SH!T !!!! I feel as though I've wasted the last two years of my life on my last bike. I know that this thing is made to do the big drops but it continues to amaze me with it climbing prowess. I'm just gettin up everything....around here ya gotta go up to go down.

SWEEEEEEETTTTT!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the review. You made me realize that I have been neglecting my EVO for way too long. I've been hung up on endurance racing and training so much that I've forgotten about fun rides.

I think I'll take her down from the rafters today and go out for a spin.

Members who have read this thread: 0