My Dean experience- Mtbr.com
    bob
    mtbr member

My Dean experience

I ordered my Colonel SS back in mid-July and was told 6-8weeks. As of the end of November, I still had no frame. It seems the frame was always in some state of final build and would ship the following week. That went on for almost two months. Enough was enough and I canceled the order.

Dean responded that the frame was ready to ship and turned on the customer service. They knocked some $ off the price and threw in some schwag. A deal was struck and I now have the frame. It is absolutely beautiful! Satin finish with brushed Dean logos and the welds are amazing. If any of you are considering a Dean, go with the polished or satin logos.

Yeah, I went through four months of aggrivation but in the end the wait was worth it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    well you're lucky Bob, i've waited a full year for my x-lite. no kidding, 12 months no less.. the best part, it arrived without the v-brake bosses i specified. now the frame is back with them to weld them on. so it's 12 months and counting..! ( think i deserve a spot in hall of fame for frame-waiting?)

as you've said, they have plenty bad rep where CS and delivery are concerned, but having owned a colonel previously, i believe in their craftsmanship. their pricing is hard to beat too. i guess it's about one's tolerance limit. my advice to potential Dean customers is never to sell their current bike while waiting. having a spare bike certainly helped me in my wait. was thinking of cancelling it.. glad i didn't cuz it was a beauty when i received it. mine is a brushed frame with satin logo. rather pricy i'd say for this new logo option, but an absolute stunner! i think Serotta is the only other maker doing it as well.

glad you're enjoying your frame, i know i will too.

mtbr member
    It took 12 weeks to get my new colonial 29er, and i couldn't be more pleased with the frame or the components they sold me(great deals). Now all i have to do is buy the rest of the bike.

Not a Barry supporter.
    Well, I just ordered mine so the waiting game has begun. I sure hope it gets here sooner than later but I'm not gonna count my chickens b/4 they're hatched...so to speak. Fingers are crossed!
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    Hope you get it in a reasonable time, I do have to say, mine looks great, clean welds. The best thing i think i bought was their seatpost, it looks amazing, the clamp is like a thomson, and it has a very neat and clean assembly, definately a good decision.

Jul 2005
    just under 4 months for mine. got it 2 days ago. Stunning.

It is a Colonel Xlite 29er. Large weighed just over 3 lbs.

Members who have read this thread: 0