My CHUMBA EVO - One year later- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

My CHUMBA EVO - One year later

I was checking some of the dates on my pictures and my EVO's first birthday is right around the corner.

Here's a picture from the day my EVO was born.

It has been a great year - a very busy year - for my EVO. I've logged about 1700 miles and climbed right around 268,000 feet (what goes up, must come down, right? ). I think I might have ridden an EVO more than anybody else, but correct me if I'm wrong.

The frame has held up just fine for the most part. It's just that some other components keep breaking and wearing out.

Here's the casualty list:
    • Rebuild Fox DHX 5.0
    • Replace TST cartridge on Marzocchi All Mountain 1 (TWICE)
    • 3 pairs of rear Magura Louise brake pads
    • 2 pairs of front Magura Louise brake pads
    • 2 rear tires
    • 1 front tire
    • Warranty rear Hadley Hub (TWICE)
    • 3 derailleur hangers
    • 1 rear derailleur
    • 2 rear cassettes
    • 3 chains
    • 2 rear derailleur cables/housings
    • 1 saddle

Of course, there have been some changes not due to wear or breakage as well.
    • Upgrade to 9mm T/A in front
    • Upgrade to 10mm T/A in rear
    • Saint Rear Derailleur (no more broken hangers )
    • Dangerboy Brake Levers
    • Race Face Bash Guard
    • Heim 3 Chain guide w/ custom Chumbie sticker
    • FSA Headset (no more CK headset creak)

So here she is a year later and a little dirtier.

May this year be more fruitful than the last. Here's to many more...

nerfherder

Happy Anniversary

LOL. This post is so sentimental. I hope you talk about your wife this way,too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    LOL. This post is so sentimental. I hope you talk about your wife this way,too.
    Alas, there isn't a wife review site....but great idea - let me see if wifereview.com is taken....

Compulsive Bike Builder

All those parts and one EVO, nice

Quote Originally Posted by dubjay
    The frame has held up just fine for the most part. It's just that some other components keep breaking and wearing out. May this year be more fruitful than the last. Here's to many more...
    Actually I thought it sounded like a kid review, you know, "here is a picture of my little Johnny when he was first born, here he his playing in the dirt, and when he fell and broke his arm..." cute.

Anyway, I think you are right about your mileage on the EVO. How are the bearings doing? Pivot bolts? Rock dings? The EVO definitely looks durable, I am glad to see a real world report on it like this. My own experiences don't go far enough, I keep selling mine every few months
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDad
    Anyway, I think you are right about your mileage on the EVO. How are the bearings doing? Pivot bolts? Rock dings? The EVO definitely looks durable, I am glad to see a real world report on it like this. My own experiences don't go far enough, I keep selling mine every few months
    My EVO has fallen down a few times but luckily no rock dings so far.

The pivot bolts are all still ok. There isn't any side-to-side play but the bearings may need a little work soon. Last time I had the rear linkage apart, some of them were a little notchy (the ones by the bottom bracket), so I may just pick out the seals and shoot in some grease. If that doesn't work, I'll replace them.

mmm
    Nice post. BTw, what's the weight of the bike? And what is your average ride mileage/footies? Sounds like the true def of AM...if there ever was one.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Select Start

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by timehoc
    Nice post. BTw, what's the weight of the bike? And what is your average ride mileage/footies? Sounds like the true def of AM...if there ever was one.
    At one point, my EVO weighed in at 32lb 10oz, but since the addition of the Saint derailluer and the Shimano 10mm Saint Axle (I swear, this can double as a billy club), chain guide, bash guard, heavier tires, etc., I'm probably closer to the 34lb range.

I'll probably add some more weight with an adjustable seatpost, but hopefully lessen some of the weight when that new Shimano Shadow XT derailleur comes out. We'll see..

As for my average mileage/footies for my rides, here's a screen shot from my Garmin Training Center for May so far.

MTD, I'm at 145.5 miles with 21,768 ft ascending. I've had 14 ride days so far...so..averages would be 10.39 miles and 1554 ft per ride.

shred my gnar
    wow... im guessing you would say that the evo climbs pretty well, eh? looks like you do enough that it must not be so bad!

glad to seem the frame holding up so well... not if only components were in the same category of durability...

its looking likely that a xcl is in my very near future.

mtbr member
    dubjay
    QUOTE]I've logged about 1700 miles and climbed right around 268,000 feet (what goes up, must come down, right? ). I think I might have ridden an EVO more than anybody else, but correct me if I'm wrong.[/QUOTE]

Damn! You smoked me dude. I've got to get on of those gps devices so I can know for sure, but I'm guessing I don't have any more than 600 miles on mine. Somehow I don't think I'm going to catch up in the next three months.

Congrats on the anniversary, your build was what started my interest in the Evo, so thanks too.

Apr 2007
    Nice looking good. The EVO can handle anything you can throw at it.
    I love them. The XCL is just a tough. Im going to go do some DH this weekend on the F4 DH bike. I love the thing. I might even ride it on a XC ride. Ha Ha . It only has a big ring in the front. Who cares the F4 is lighter than some free ride bikes
    I have run the EVO's off and over just about everything. They just rock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

You are EVO man

Hey dub, happy anniversary! It looks like your EVO has had one great year. I'm working my way to many happy mles on my EVO too.I've been away from home for almost a month and I miss my EVO desperately. I have ten more days in the bay area and I'm counting the days till I get back home to the Philippines. I enjoy the climbs on my EVO because its so effortlessly. Wishing many happy rides!

Members who have read this thread: 0