My 660 thread- Mtbr.com

Thread: My 660 thread

mtbr member

My 660 thread

I figured it was about time I start my own Zion thread since I'm always updating my Zion.

Anyway, here's the current specs and pictures. The last picture is the only issue I have with my Zion 660. I upgraded my Rockshox Recon with a motion control unit for a Reba/Rev. The external floodgate knob wont clear the downtube. Other than this little problem I love this bike (well it could use a little more tire clearance too). It's really "wippy" on the trail. Makes for a comfortable, great handling ride.

Next upgrades will be XT cranks (maybe Raceface dues, not sure yet) and a lighter wheelset. Oh and I can't take the red tires anymore (petty I know) I'll replace them too once they wear out. I'll either get another set of Panaracers or maybe Kenda nevegals. I've been wanting to try them out for a while now, they're kind of heavy though.

Frame: ZION 660 19 Inch
    Fork: Rockshox Recon 327 soloair 100mm / with reba MC unit.
    Brakes: Avid Juicy 5
    Cranks: Deore w/salsa chain rings and XT BB
    Shifters: SRAM X.7 8 speed trigger
    R/Derailleur: 07 SRAM X.9 mid cage
    Cassette: XTR 950 Ti 12-32 8 Speed
    F/Derailleur: XT top mount
    Stem: Raceface Evolve XC 100mm
    Handlebar: Raceface Dues XC low riser
    Seatpost: Racefave Evolove XC
    Saddle: WTB Laser SLT
    Tires: Panaracer Fire XC Pro
    Rims/wheels: Mavic Crossride w/Salsa skewers
    Headset: Cane Creek S3

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    yeah.. nice build, Mark.. (if I may said that again )

my only guess is that the head tube length was changed from the 853's dimensions to the 660s and that the crowns of the Recon and Revelation are different.... hope you can get the +5 lower headset cup soon

mtbr member
    Thank crisillo! I think she's come together rather nicely if I do say so myself. I think that set of XT cranks will complete it though. --Mark

yeah the XT cranks will rock on it!

mtbr member
    Whelp, I just ordered a custom wheelset to replace my Crossrides. Here's what I got:

Mavic XC717 rims
    Hope Pro II hubs
    DT Swiss Comp spokes/nipples

They'll be a little over a half pound lighter than my current hoops. I'm pretty excited. Hopefully it wont take very long to build and ship. They should be here in about 3 weeks.

I'll post pics and weights once I get them. --Mark

****EDIT****

I'm holding off a few weeks on these wheels, need to free up some cash.
    Last edited by marks_bike; 06-19-2007 at 12:56 PM.

Sweet.. i am running the a similar build with DT 4.2d rims on my Inbred...love them (they are my second Pro 2 wheelset)

you will love it

Jun 2007
    Good to see your 660, I'll be building my in a couple of weeks...

mtbr member
    Thanks! It's a great bike, and a lot of fun to ride. Good luck with your build. --Mark

Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by marks_bike
    Thanks! It's a great bike, and a lot of fun to ride. Good luck with your build. --Mark
    I'll share some pictures of mine later...

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HTRider4Ever
    I'll share some pictures of mine later...

banned

Zion On The Making...

Mark here is a picture of my ZION, it will be completednext week. Parts still on the mail...

I know, my garage is a mess...

Quote Originally Posted by HTR4EVR
    Mark here is a picture of my ZION, it will be completednext week. Parts still on the mail...

I know, my garage is a mess...
    looking good!

mtbr member
    wow, looking good!

Hey, does your RS Rev motion control clear your down tube? --Mark

banned
    Nope, neither the compression nob, how about your RS Recon?
    Thanks for the observation, I have to be careful with that...
    It looks like my Vanilla won't clear it neither..

banned
    I got my cranks today...

mtbr member
    Mine hits, check out the last picture from my original post. My Recon has a Rev/Reba MC unit installed in it. I wonder if the crown is different on the Rev.

Also, what headset are you using? Thanks for the info. --Mark

banned
    Mine is a canecreek s3, it came free with the fork, my best headset ever, that thing is solid.. the seat collar is the salsa... and my cranks shimano deor hollowtech the rest is xt... Doyou have U Turn in your Recon?

mtbr member
    nah I don't have U Turn it's a 100mm soloair. I have the same headset too. I guess I should have gotten the MC with the internal floodgate. I don't think I would have had any clearance issues. Oh well. Live and learn.

Post some new pics when you finish your build. --mark

banned
    Are you using a quick release in the rear wheel? I took mine off ...

On tires I got Mutano Raptors, 2.24 rear and 2.4 front...

mtbr member
    yeah, I have skewers on the back. How did you take yours off? Guess you just got hubs that bolt on. Sounds like a solid build. --Mark

banned
    I have those skewers that uses bolt instead of release..

banned

My Zion Is Finished

Here are some pictures, now I need to learn how to adjust the fork and be ready for the trails...

well done, HTR4EVR!

banned
    Thank you...

mtbr member
    She looks great! What the final weight?

Also, how much tire clearance is there with those tires? I'm guessing they run a little thin, although that front looks nice and fat. Let me know how they ride. I want to replace my PR Fire XC but I'm torn with what to get. --Mark

banned
    weight is about 32, my sun rims are heavy, Tire clearance is a bit more than 1/4 of an inch F and R... I used to ride a 2.3 WTB Timberwolf in the front, nice on roots and rocks but flexi, Mutano is a good tire, is the first time for me with he 2.4. my best tire so far are the michelin all mountain 2.2, fat good roller with exellent grip and cheap, but they are too fat for the zion. In my other HT I have a 2.1 xc fire in the rear and the Michelin 2.2 fat in the front. If yoy like panaracers the have a 2.25 tire that you can use in the font... the cinder:

mtbr member
    I like the PR Fire XC a lot. They are a good all around tire, lots of grip and they corner with confidence. The only thing that I don't like about them, is they don't shed mud very well and if I don't run at least 40 PSI in them they feel really slow. So I'm looking for a higher volume tire. I think I'm gonna give the Kenda Nevegal 2.1 a try.

My problem is I'm kind of a weight weeny, I mean, I'm not like those guys that take a dremel to everything to save like 2 grams, but I am a bit picky about what I put on my bike. So putting on 700 plus gram tires is out. Maybe I should just get over it. lol --Mark

banned
    I don't understand Rock Shox. My fork is 130-85 mm, when i'm on the bike th fork is compressed all the way to the 85 mm mark, it is like 1'' of sag and that that's too much I think, the sag on my vanilla is 1/2'' so I don't know??? How your RS Recon behave? I have to take it to the trails but I use to run across a lot of depressions and a diving fork is not my dream... Maybe and spring upgrade is on the way...

I like the PR Fire XC a lot. They are a good all around tire, lots of grip and they corner with confidence. The only thing that I don't like about them, is they don't shed mud very well and if I don't run at least 40 PSI in them they feel really slow. So I'm looking for a higher volume tire. I think I'm gonna give the Kenda Nevegal 2.1 a try.

My problem is I'm kind of a weight weeny, I mean, I'm not like those guys that take a dremel to everything to save like 2 grams, but I am a bit picky about what I put on my bike. So putting on 700 plus gram tires is out. Maybe I should just get over it. lol --Mark
    go for schwalbe tires then... I used to run a 2.25 Nobby Nic in the rear (about a real 2.1 width, but high volume) and it weighs about 560g and you could get a NN 2.4 for the front for about 630g...awesome combo..

I don't understand Rock Shox. My fork is 130-85 mm, when i'm on the bike th fork is compressed all the way to the 85 mm mark, it is like 1'' of sag and that that's too much I think, the sag on my vanilla is 1/2'' so I don't know??? How your RS Recon behave? I have to take it to the trails but I use to run across a lot of depressions and a diving fork is not my dream... Maybe and spring upgrade is on the way...
    definitely sounds like you are undersprung.... you can set the compression adjust a bit higher to get you by, while you get the right spring.

mtbr member
    Actually, 1 inch of sag is perfect for that fork. According to Rockshox your sag should be 15-25% of your over all travel. Here's my normal ride setup:

85-90 PSI (1 inch sag)
    rebound 2 full turns from full fast
    floodgate about halfway
    MC about halfway to three quarters to full lockout (really depends on the trail).

Take it out on the trail to see how it rides. You can adjust your MC/floodgate to help resist bottoming and brake dive. --Mark

one thing, Mark.. HTR4EVR's RVL seems to be a coil model, since he says travel is 85-130.. so he cannot change spring rate as easily as with the air models.... I still agree that given the Zion's geometry actually it could make for a nice, but cushy ride..... it is still over 1.5 inches of sag though (about 45mm)

HTR4EVR, give it a shot as is... and if you start bottoming, then think about swapping the spring...
    Last edited by crisillo; 06-25-2007 at 07:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    go for schwalbe tires then... I used to run a 2.25 Nobby Nic in the rear (about a real 2.1 width, but high volume) and it weighs about 560g and you could get a NN 2.4 for the front for about 630g...awesome combo..
    I was really considering those also, but man are they pricey! $58 bucks at JensonUSA for the 2.1 and the only place I can find the 2.25 there $61 bucks there. Ouch! How do they hold up on the trail? --Mark

I was really considering those also, but man are they pricey! $58 bucks at JensonUSA for the 2.1 and the only place I can find the 2.25 there $61 bucks there. Ouch! How do they hold up on the trail? --Mark
    they are awesome tires (I get them cheaper here in Germany), but in the US contact Chad @ Red Barn or Larry @ Mtn High Cyclery for the best deals on Schwalbe (and just about anything else )

mtbr member
    they are awesome tires (I get them cheaper here in Germany), but in the US contact Chad @ Red Barn or Larry @ Mtn High Cyclery for the best deals on Schwalbe (and just about anything else )
    hmm, I'll have to think about that. LOL Just when I thought I was set on getting the nevegal. How do you like the Kenda's on your new ride? --Mark

hmm, I'll have to think about that. LOL Just when I thought I was set on getting the nevegal. How do you like the Kenda's on your new ride? --Mark
    I'm liking them quite a bit... the ride quality & traction are similar, but the Schwalbes are lighter... I have 2 2.35 DTC BGs on the Inbred now.. and a 2.35 StickE Nevegal I keep swapping around... the Nev is a great front tire... talk to Chad or Larry, they will give you the best deal on any of them...

banned
    Hi Guys, I ordered the firm spring for my RVL, see, I have a firm spring on my vanilla and it's working great, because I'm over 200 I don't want to punish the compression system on my fork... I wish you luck with your tires. Because I have to deal with a moon surface every were I go in my park I' using a fat in the front. 2.1 PR fire xc 60 tpi in the rear and Michelin all mountain expert 2.2 in the front, that is on my none zion bike.. I like the grip of the xc fire it is good...

banned
    Well, finally I got my first ride on the 660 today, she is my best bike so far... The WTB mutano raptor 2.4/2.24 combination is great, great grip and rolling ...

Well, finally I got my first ride on the 660 today, she is my best bike so far... The WTB mutano raptor 2.4/2.24 combination is great, great grip and rolling ...
    sweet! congrats!

mtbr member
    congrats! the 660 is a fun bike to ride. --Mark

banned
    I'm in love with this 660, the RVL is an amazing fork too... It's take every thing ...

banned

A FSA Pig DH Pro Silver solved that problem for me...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip! I still haven't fixed that problem on my Zion.

banned

I'm upgrading my wheels so I can have more tire clearance in the rear, Sun Rims Singletrack are very wide... Mavic are 19 mm, Suns are 36.7 mm...

banned
    Crossrides on and rolling ...

mtbr member
    Crossrides are a pretty nice wheelset for the price. Only downside is they are a little flexy and the stock skewers are heavy. I road them for 2 years without any problems, stayed straight. --Mark

banned
    Hi Mark, what do you mean by flexy? By the way I got it for 169, so far so good... some reviews say flexy some say strong, so I don't know...

mtbr member
    Exactly that, they have a lot of flex when standing hard on the cranks. I've beat the heck out of these wheels and they are still true.

$169 is a good buy. --Mark

banned
    Well, they fit the 660 better than the wide sunrim singletracks, and for $169.00 I'm taking it ...
    I'm a moderate rider, I hope it will be ok... Any way, thaks for your imput, and for this thread ...

mtbr member

Update

I haven't updated this thread in a while. I'll have to post a few new pictures since she has changed a little bit over the last year. I ditched the Panaracers for Kenda Nevegal's. I wanted something a little fatter and more forgiving. Plus the Panaracers didn't corner like I wanted them too and come to find out they were really a slow roller. That said! Man, I wish I could fit a 2.35 Nev on the rear of my 660. Crisillo, I see why you went with the Inbred now.

I also finally replaced (this week) my wheelset like I said I was a while back. The wife and I bought a house so I had to cancel the first order to free up some cash. Anyway, the new wheelset is gonna take some getting used to. The pro II rear hub is a noisy bugger, I mean really noisy. To me it seems louder than the older 3 paw version, maybe it's just me. I'll get a better ride on them this weekend. Hopefully I'll get used to the racket or they will quiet down a bit. First impression is the hub has a much faster pickup and a lot more positive or stronger feeling. Which is a welcome trade off for all that noise.

I'm down to my last XTR Ti 8 speed cassette so my next upgrade will likely be to 9 speed, blah! --Mark

Crisillo, I see why you went with the Inbred now.
    yeah..the Inbred clearance is incredible! the 2,35 Kendas had about 1/3" clearance around... however the Inbred now has a new home

mtbr member
    however the Inbred now has a new home
    Man, you change bikes with the seasons! What are you riding now? Shoot I'm struggling talking the wife into letting me add a FS to the stable. That'll be a long uphill battle that will likely not see the light of day. --Mark

Man, you change bikes with the seasons! What are you riding now? Shoot I'm struggling talking the wife into letting me add a FS to the stable. That'll be a long uphill battle that will likely not see the light of day. --Mark

a couple of Ventanas now.... check these threads

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=346529

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=352994

mtbr member
    Very nice! So you ditched the yeti and the inbred?

I'm hoping to have a custom Waltworks frame built up sometime in 08. I really dig his bikes, nothing says I love you like a steel 5" travel bike.

Good luck with the new Ventanas, they look sweet! --Mark

Very nice! So you ditched the yeti and the inbred?
    yes, sir
    I'm hoping to have a custom Waltworks frame built up sometime in 08. I really dig his bikes, nothing says I love you like a steel 5" travel bike.
    good call on the Waltworks.....
    Good luck with the new Ventanas, they look sweet! --Mark
    Thanks, Mark!

mtbr member

Some new pics

As promised here are a couple current pics of my Zion. Pretty much the big changes are the wheels and tires. I'll also be swapping out the cranks for a set of 08 XT's next week sometime next week. I also picked up a set of Hope Skewers to match the hubs. I think that's it for a while other the swapping the headset for a king to fix my fork clearance issue.

nice, Mark!

Pro 2s are sweet!

mtbr member
    Hey thanks crisillo! I'm loving them. I'm still not quite used to the noise yet. And the rear hub is still a little stiff, it has a lot of drag I'm guessing from the bearings. It got a lot better after the first 20 miles but still needs more break-in time.

Can' wait to get the new cranks on. They will be a nice addition.
    --Mark

Hey thanks crisillo! I'm loving them. I'm still not quite used to the noise yet. And the rear hub is still a little stiff, it has a lot of drag I'm guessing from the bearings. It got a lot better after the first 20 miles but still needs more break-in time.

Can' wait to get the new cranks on. They will be a nice addition.
    --Mark

yeah... they are great hubs.. I sure love mine and have grown to love the "noise"

the cranks will also rock!

mtbr member
    yeah... they are great hubs.. I sure love mine and have grown to love the "noise"

the cranks will also rock!
    Sweet, cranks came early! It only took 4 days to get here from the UK.

I gotta get a new set of pedals though, I couldn't get the right pedal off the old cranks.

the right pedal on my XTs is stuck too (torque wrench and grease...and still stuck ).... but both cranks and pedal keep working fine..so I guess they will stay there for a while

Dec 2007
    Hey Mark, nice bike! Appreciate directing me to the Zion forum. I will post some pictures of my build as soon as get it inhouse and built. I wonder if it's going to be the first Zion i Norway? I'll check it; but first - get it and build it.

By the way, mine is white, white forks and white hayes stroker trail, kind of the opposite of yours. Will be fun to compare the look of the different builds. Ohhh, Christmas ain't over yet!

mtbr member
    hey, no problem.

Sounds like it's going to be a nice build and it also sounds like you had a great Christmas.

Keep us posted! --Mark

mtbr member
    This is pretty much the way it is now other than the peddles. I went back to Shimano SPD's. She gained some weight too 26.3 pounds now, all tires.

My new hubs/wheels are all broken in now. They seem to be a little less noisy (not that I ever minded). The Hope Pro II's are pretty much the loudest thing in the woods, even the deer don't know what to make of them.

I've been debating on picking up a 600EBB before they are gone, but part of me wants to hold out for the new Zion's (if they come). I'm hoping for better tire clearance, it'd be nice to get a true 2.35 back there.

Frame: ZION 660 19 Inch
    Fork: Rockshox Recon with Rev. motion control upgrade
    Brakes: Avid Juicy 5
    Cranks: Deore XT
    Shifters: SRAM X.7 8 speed trigger
    R/Derailleur: SRAM X.9 mid
    Cassette: XTR 950 Ti 12-32 8 Speed
    F/Derailleur: XT
    Stem: Raceface Evolve XC 100mm
    Handlebar: Raceface Dues XC low riser
    Seatpost: Raceface Evolove XC
    Saddle: WTB Rocket SLT