My 08 EVO build- Mtbr.com

Thread: My 08 EVO build

mtbr member

My 08 EVO build

First I want to thanks Brian @ Chumba for working with me so diligently despite being deployed overseas to Korea for 1 year. Everything from the customer service, shipping, and knowlege was top notch from Chumba and I couldnt ask for anything more. I will definitely be doing more business in the future.

I opted for Ano Black 08 EVO, medium in size. This bike is a considerable step up in every category from my 06 Giant Anthem 3, I found myself needing more travel, and something that was going to suit my needs in the All Mountain, and freeride category when I moved back to Alaska this fall.

I had recently just been piecing together all AM components and throwing them on my Giant, then I found myself getting antsy, so I made the plunge.

Setup is as follow

Frame -- 08 Ano Black EVO -- M
    Rear Shock --- Fox DHX 5.0 Coil 650lb spring
    Fork -- Marzzochi 07 All Mountain 2 155mm
    Headset -- FSA Orbit X
    Crank/BB -- FSA Gravity 2 ring
    Brakes -- 08 Juicy 7's 185mm F -- 160mm R
    Rims -- Bombshell Revolution Trail's
    Tires -- (not installed yet) Kenda Nevegal 2.35's F&R
    Triggers SRAM X-7
    Derailer Front -- Shimano XT Etype
    Derailer Rear -- SRAM X-9
    Bars -- Diety
    Stem -- Transition DH/FR
    Grips -- Da Bomb Holy Sh*t grips
    Pedals -- Transition stepdown
    Seatpost -- Raceface Evolve XC
    Saddle -- WTB Laser V

I havent weighed it yet, but my guess and several others are in the 35lb range.

1st impressions, I do ride 3-4 miles to work a day on the street, so I was a lil leary stepping up to a coil and 6" of rear trail. Took it on a short ride today and it pedals if not just as good as my Giant Anthem does AMAZING... took it off a small drop 3-4ft to flat and it ate it up like it wasnt there. Very impressive. I only have about 30 minutes of seat time so far, I have some suspension setup to complete this weekend when I make it out into the mountains, but so far no complaints, VERY IMPRESSED. I will have more feedback.

Some pics...sorry for the bad angles, and light. I built this thing in my dorm room here in Korea. Cant wait to get back to a garage and a actual shop when I come back home!!

BMJ
    "55 lbs and climbing!"
    Looks sweet!

I was thinking the anno black was front and rear triangles. Did you special order the polished rear?

My 08' has been AWSOME!!! You'll LOVE it!!!!

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    Very nice! I kind of wish I went w/an Evo even though I love my XCL! That polished rear triangle really makes that bike pop! Good job, enjoy the ride!!!

mtbr member
    Looks great Allen! I will be expecting some action shots soon.

Spin-stabilized
    Nice!

Let us know how it climbs really steep, tight (tight switchbacks - too tall/long for them?) and technical stuff. Might be the deciding factor between it and the XCL. Any bike can climb fire roads
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

yarrrp
    May 2007
    my doubt is you bought the bike for the climbing aspect..booyah. go shred the gnar whal!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hairygut
    my doubt is you bought the bike for the climbing aspect..booyah. go shred the gnar whal!

you are correct, I will climb if I have to, but It's not the most sought after pasttime on a day of riding hahah

Im moving to Alaska from here in Korea, looking for some more steep, downhill from here, cant wait.

mtbr member
    very nice!!
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdburch
    Looks great Allen! I will be expecting some action shots soon.

My foot has healed up enough to walk on it at least, looks like I will be ridin this weekend

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bailout
    Nice!

Let us know how it climbs really steep, tight (tight switchbacks - too tall/long for them?) and technical stuff. Might be the deciding factor between it and the XCL. Any bike can climb fire roads
    XCL probably climbs better, but I climb steep stuff on my Evo all the time, and it's not a problem. It felt a little weird at first, but it's something you get used to. You do totally want an adjustable travel fork if you plan to climb steeps with it. Once or twice I've forgotten to wind down the Talas and the front does tend to pop up. Once its wound down and you're used to it... you just ride it up the hill, like you would anything else.

BMJ
    "55 lbs and climbing!"

Climbs the BOMB!

Quote Originally Posted by bailout
    Nice!

The EVO has put me back out in the front of the pack!

I ride tight, wet, rocky & rooty New England trails, and this thing just sticks to the ground like glue! The top tube length is on the short side (no matter how I measure it, it measures shorter than the specs on the website) but I've found that I love a short top tube. Who knew? I run my seat more forward and run a 110mm stem to keep me forward for the climbs and the short top tube still allows me to get way back on the nasty rocky downhill stuff. I don't bother with the travel adjust on my fork and haven't had a problem keeping my front tire down on the climbs. The tight and twisties are easy as well, mostly due to the short top tube and wheel base. I don't know about the XCL, but the EVO is the BOMB!!!

mtbr member
    weighed the bike today right at 36.1, not bad considering the amount of DH/DR components on the bike

messin around today after work

mtbr member
    Another update, the bike will climb even at 36lbs... which suprised me since im a nice 195lbs, been gone for close to a month for work, and havent ridden, outa shape badly, but managed to make it up a hill I had tried for a while now and failed many times.

Had some misfortune with a DHX 5.0 Coil, and while waiting on it to come back from FOX I decided to go with an air, undecided on which shock is better at the moment.

Small climb vid here in Jungle in Korea 90 degrees -- 100% humidity heat index well into the 100's.....arghhhh

yarrrp
    May 2007

Aaaahhh!!

I will not ever watch your video on principle. NEVER post a video of going up...unless its followed by ripping down. EVER...

Members who have read this thread: 0