The Mudman has an XCL!- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    222

    The Mudman has an XCL!

    So after a long argument with myself that past few weeks I decided on the Chumba XCL because it fit me and felt a lot better than the Yeti 575. Although weighing more and having 1'' less travel the bike makes up for it and feels a lot stronger. I cannot say that it is stronger than a 575 because that would be underrating another super great bike.

    The Bike feels great, I went on a 17 mile ride yesterday and the bike did everything well. Didnt even dial down the fork or pro pedal the rear and it still climbed better than my hardtail. So expect an extended review with with many many photos- Hopefully its what you guys want to see. Because to me none of these reviews have enough pictures what so ever, its good to read and have some eye candy along the way.

    I picked up the bike on Friday and by the end of Saturday the bike looked like its 2 years old from all the crashes and accumulated dirt and grime

    I pretty much went with the Chumba build kit and threw on a bash guard as I never use the biggest chainring anyway. This bike came in at 33.5 pounds, not exactly light but I am not a weight weenie either. The bike is very well put together and well planned out. Everything is more on the heavy side because I chose to go with strength over lightness.
    With new wheels, cranks, seat clamp, handlebar, stem, fork, seat post, the bike would easily be under 30 pounds.

    so here she is:














    This is me doing a 3ft? drop onto flat. I'll work on a high quality one.
    https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...mbadrop002.flv
    I like rice.

  2. #2
    Older than I feel
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,762
    Welcome to the XCL owners' club! The more I ride mine, the more I love it.

  3. #3
    locked - time out
    Reputation: TIMBERRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,389
    I think we need more photos.

    J/K

    Nice build.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    I think we need more photos.

    J/K

    Nice build.
    Thanks,

    I actually took literally 100 photos. My review will have about 30 or so. I'd like to see someone top my review visually once I'm done
    I like rice.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by chucko58
    Welcome to the XCL owners' club! The more I ride mine, the more I love it.
    Thanks, Ive already dont some damage to the bike from the first ride. lots of scratches haha. The beautiful thing about the ano black is that it covers up paint chips via sharpie very nicely
    I like rice.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    764

    Are those pedals the Mallets ?

    I need to get a different set of pedals, the SPD 520's I currently have
    keep clipping out unpredictably, even after I tighten up the tension, so I was
    thinking of going with the Time Atac XS, has really good reviews, plenty of
    float, good platform. Crank Bros also has the Acids, more of an AM version
    of the Mallets. What do you like about the Mallets ?

    By the way, I also have the grey ano, a large, love the look of that frame.
    Mine weighed 31.6 w/o pedals with a similar build kit, it is a blast to ride,
    eventually plan on lightening up the wheels when these wear out, but thing
    is just flat out fun.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by le_buzz
    I need to get a different set of pedals, the SPD 520's I currently have
    keep clipping out unpredictably, even after I tighten up the tension, so I was
    thinking of going with the Time Atac XS, has really good reviews, plenty of
    float, good platform. Crank Bros also has the Acids, more of an AM version
    of the Mallets. What do you like about the Mallets ?

    By the way, I also have the grey ano, a large, love the look of that frame.
    Mine weighed 31.6 w/o pedals with a similar build kit, it is a blast to ride,
    eventually plan on lightening up the wheels when these wear out, but thing
    is just flat out fun.
    The Mallets are awsome, a lot of people complain that they clip in too tight. But when riding them I myself wanted them to be tighter for some reason..

    The bike is no doubht great, I mean I dont even work for Chumba but the way I talk about them you would swear that I'm there spokes person or something. Did you get your frame with the DHX air or RP23? The seat on the buid kit is terrible though, after my first ride my butt is killing me. Thats what happens when you wear basketball shorts for a ride...
    I like rice.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudmanner
    The Mallets are awsome, a lot of people complain that they clip in too tight. But when riding them I myself wanted them to be tighter for some reason..

    The bike is no doubht great, I mean I dont even work for Chumba but the way I talk about them you would swear that I'm there spokes person or something. Did you get your frame with the DHX air or RP23? The seat on the buid kit is terrible though, after my first ride my butt is killing me. Thats what happens when you wear basketball shorts for a ride...
    The Mallets seem to have a really wide platform, which I like, it looks like more of a
    downhill pedal though. Does it have any float ? The Time ATACs have the float and the
    platform, as well as having wider engagement than the Crank Bros. In AM riding its
    important to be able to shift your legs around without worrying about unclipping
    unexpectably, and also have the solid feel that gives you confidence.

    I got the DHX, but I think I'm eventually going to upgrade it to something else, maybe
    the Roco. Eagerly awaiting Alan's review. The DHX is ok, I do use the bottom out
    feature sometimes, on my last ride it seemed a little bouncy,though.
    I recently reset it up accordiing to Jason's recommendations, maybe I just need to play
    with the rebound a bit.

    As for the seat, my butt gets sore sometimes too, and I dont even wear shorts !

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by le_buzz
    The Mallets seem to have a really wide platform, which I like, it looks like more of a
    downhill pedal though. Does it have any float ? The Time ATACs have the float and the
    platform, as well as having wider engagement than the Crank Bros. In AM riding its
    important to be able to shift your legs around without worrying about unclipping
    unexpectably, and also have the solid feel that gives you confidence.

    I got the DHX, but I think I'm eventually going to upgrade it to something else, maybe
    the Roco. Eagerly awaiting Alan's review. The DHX is ok, I do use the bottom out
    feature sometimes, on my last ride it seemed a little bouncy,though.
    I recently reset it up accordiing to Jason's recommendations, maybe I just need to play
    with the rebound a bit.

    As for the seat, my butt gets sore sometimes too, and I dont even wear shorts !
    No float on the mallets as far as I can see. I dont really like it like that. Maybe the Time ATACs would be better for you. The Mallets are just popular because everyone stocks them. . All the people that test rode my bike seem to like it, one person said the shock was too stiff. but that was really it. I got a lot of good comments on the bike so that was awsome. Now it would be coolers if we could do a Chumba Ride or something.
    I like rice.

  10. #10
    nerfherder
    Reputation: scruffylooking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,674
    Nice camera work Mud. Nice bike, too.

  11. #11
    it's....
    Reputation: Strafer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,088
    Mallets have the same float as any other CB pedals.
    Variable by switching cleats left/right.
    I don't see the point of Acid pedals, like Candy with longer useless platform.

  12. #12
    shred my gnar
    Reputation: happy_ending's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    604
    nice lookin bike!

    that video clip is at a funky angle... when you were riding around above the drop, the angle makes it look like a 6-7'er... gave me a good laugh...

    anyhow... ive been having a hell of a time with a pair of cb candy c. i broke the cage on one after only a few rides. luckily they have great customer service so they replaced it no questions asked... so im giving them another chance. i deadhorsed a couple times yesterday at very inopportune times... those things piss me off to no end. i cant get out of those suckers top save my life... get in great though. i ride my shimanos fairly loose so maybe i just need to get used to em...

  13. #13
    it's....
    Reputation: Strafer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,088
    after a little while the cleats wear down and unclipping should get easier.

  14. #14
    Fat guy on a bike
    Reputation: Mordy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    703
    With the wide platform mallets can seem tight depending on the tread of your shoe. If the cleat is deeply embedded between the tread, use spacers. The float on mine is nearly the same as my candy's.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.