Monument Cycles, general consensus?- Mtbr.com

Jul 2007

Monument Cycles, general consensus?

Last year I bought a bike based on the "Buckhorn" frame from Monument Cycles. Aluminum frame, made in the USA, hard tail. It's a great bike and I'm certain that it's more capable than I am.

But I don't hear much about the brand, on these forums or elsewhere. I'm not looking to upgrade or downgrade, but I am curious as to where Monument falls on the overall mountain bike hierarchy. I don't expect it to compare to custom carbon fiber frames that cost thousands of dollars, but is it considered comparable to a better factory-made bike like Giant, Cannondale, or Gary Fisher? As good as other small handmade frame companies, like Ellsworth or Turner?

And I'm wondering about other shoppers' thoughts when they decided for/against buying a Monument.

Best Wishes,
    -Bob

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Do you still have your monument bike, and do you still like it? Do you run it as a single speed and do you have any pics?

Jul 2007
    Yes, I like it just fine. But I'm very inexperienced with modern bicycles and components, so my opinion is rather useless.

Here's a pic:

Since the photo was taken I've added an Old Man Mountain rack, Nashbar bags, and a bottle cage.

No it's not a single-speed; it has Shram X-9 shifters and derailuers. But the shop can probably build one however you want.

bald

Sapa

SAPA also known as Anodizing Inc, made the frames for Criterium Bikes, a Colorado Springs bike shop. The gentleman that was responsible left Criterium two years ago, and it looks like the current crew at Criterium decided to let it go. SAPA makes frames for a number of boutique brands such as Turner and Ellsworth pre 2006. Alot of the geometry was pulled from Specialized, and changed in various areas. Hope that info helps.

Members who have read this thread: 1