monocog vs zion- Mtbr.com

Thread: monocog vs zion

Mar 2006

monocog vs zion

hello all, I'm getting ready to start my first 29er build. I'm on a tight budget for it and am considering the redline monocog 29er and the zion 737ebb for the frame. Any thoughts on how they compare? I also really like the look of the surly karate monkey. Would it be worth saving up to get that frame? Also, I would be open to other suggestions near that price point.

Bike Breaker
    Sep 2004
    pricepoint has monocog frame and fork on sale for 209. i don't know if you can beat that

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

MC 29'er

I just bought a complete Redline Monocog 29'er. I got it for $475. I was considering a build, but I couldn't find the parts I wanted for a comparable price. The frame comes with tabs to upgrade to disc brakes if needed.

I really like the ride. I go rigid. This is the only 29'er I've ridden, but compared to my FS 26, I think it corners really well. Though I don't have any experience with the Zion, I have only good words for the Redline Monocog.
    Either you rode today, or you didn't.

Dec 2006
    I'm with John Michael. While I'm sure your other options are also quality bikes, the Monocog is awesome. Really much lighter than I would have thought, and it rides great. Here's how I did mine:

Monocog complete: $469 from a local shop

From Pricepoint:
    Mary bar $60
    Sette Edge stem $20
    Wellgo clipless pedals $30
    SDG saddle $25
    Oury grips $6

Custom top cap $6

$616 total, and I can sell all the take-off parts for maybe $50 on Craigslist.

Net cost: $566. For a proven, rigid, 4130, 29er SS with a few personal touches, I don't know how you could find a better bargain.

I like endos

Pics should speak for themselves

I was one of the first to get the orignal MC29- first shipment. I have modded the bejesus out of this think, and I"m not done yet (wheels, fork, cranks will eventually be changed, maybe brakes, who knows. I'm an upgrade fiend.) Some would say this is overkill for a $250 frame/fork, but I love this bike, the geo is exactly what I would have designed for a custom builder, and I like horizontal drops. Weight, when you build it well, is quite reasonable for steel. Here it is- I recommend.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    As for the Pyramids, there is nothing to wonder at in them so much as the fact that so many men could be found degraded enough to spend their lives constructing a tomb for some ambitious booby, whom it would have been wiser and manlier to have drowned in the Nile, and then given his body to the dogs. - Henry David Thoreau

high plains drifter

monocog

gets my vote
    Humble self-proclaimed nothing.

Mar 2006
    nice bikes, actually after reconsidering my budget, as much as I like wrenching/building, I decided to go with a stock monocog 29er already built up. Just can't beat that kind of value. I pulled the trigger last sat at calabazas cyclery in san jose (norcal baby They have to ship it so it should be ready about friday. I'm pretty stoked.

mtbr member
    I picked up my monocog last week and am loving it. Pretty much left it along cept my oury lockons and wtb saddle.

Feb 2007
    I was very impressed with the monocog flight I rode, especially for the price. That being said, I'll be getting a new zion, soon hopefully

WWYD?

Here's a muddy pic

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger
    nice bikes, actually after reconsidering my budget, as much as I like wrenching/building, I decided to go with a stock monocog 29er already built up. Just can't beat that kind of value. I pulled the trigger last sat at calabazas cyclery in san jose (norcal baby They have to ship it so it should be ready about friday. I'm pretty stoked.
    You're going to love the bike for sure. No chain suck, drivetrain issues, just quiet pedaling. Perfect winter riding! My main ride since May. The 20 cog is great for cllimbing all around the Bay Area. I've got 2K of miles on mine now and my upgrades are;
    H-bars-$65
    King headset-$125
    Old Phil Wood BB-new in 2000 $110
    Avids front and rear-$100 (Performance points!)
    Tires-$60
    New bearings for the wheels-$25
    Total: $485
    Bike was $380 (Performance double points!!)
    $865 so far.

Just want to buy another one....
    Last edited by johnnyb; 02-20-2007 at 01:18 AM. Reason: ...must....add....picture....urr

SSasquatch
    I was faced with the exact same decision last month and ultimately decided on the Zion. It's not that I don't think the Monocog would be great, I know it would and I have put 2600 hard miles on my 26 Monocog over the past year and loved every minute. This bike is really durable and the geometry is spot on for me. It would have also made a nice photo op to see the 2 Monocog siblings parked next to one another (big brother and little brother).
    Anyway, the thing that tipped the scales in favor of the Zion was a combination of lighter weight and my need to try new things. The Zion frame was a full pound lighter than the Monocog of comparable size and I have always been curious about EBB bikes and wanted to give it a go.
    Whatever you decide, you won't be out alot of money if you decide you don't like it. For the record, I paid a total of $337.51 (including shipping costs) for the Zion frame and P2 29er fork from Bikeman (the Zion 29er forks were not in stock at the time). Obviously, you can't beat the Monocog price.
    I haven't finished the build yet so I can't comment on whether I made the right choice or not. I'll report back when I do.

Oct 2005
    The Zion looks like a great set up, but for the price, a complete Monocog 29er is an excelent value and for $200-$250 you can dress it up nice. The Haro Mary SS is also a great bike (which I almost purchased) and for the money would be more comparable to the ZIon I think. Just got my RLMC29er last week and love it. It's one of the better looking frames IMHO and it feel durable and light. I'm coming off a 26" GT I-drive and this thing is even lighter then my kids 14.5" 4500 Trek. Now he wants one. XC racers may think its a little heavy but I think this bike flys. I took it on a few short rides and can tell I'll be needing to change out the 20t cog to 17t or 18t because I was spinning in the flats. For most trail use the 20t would work good, but I would rather push it a little then spin on the descents. I had my LBS replace the headset with a Cane Creek S3 and I added bargin bin shimano clipless pedals and Oury lock-ons. Changing out the rear cog, seat, adding a carbon bar and putting on some urban/touring tires for my commute. Bought a 17" and it fits perfect for my 190 lb./5'11"/31" inseam frame. I have a longer upper body so playing around with seat and bar position, may need a longer stem. Was skeptical about the brown color at first but getting a lot of compliments and I really love the cool graphics. I'm totally estatic with this purchase and would recommend the Monocog 29er to anyone looking for a rigid SS.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Raleigh XXIX $0.02

Just want to throw out another option - I picked up a Raleigh XXIX for $680 and I have been very happy with it - reason I prefer over the Redline is eccentric BB and disk brakes...a few upgrades later and I am really looking forward to riding Auburn this weekend...

Oct 2005
    Good point on the Raleigh XXIX. Having not seen one in person, but from all the pics and info on this site the frame geometry and setup seem similar to the Haro Mary SS at $200 less. The rear drop outs and eccentric BB look identical to the Mary, I wonder if they are buying the frame from the same manufacture? I've read only good reviews on the XXIX so far and it seems like a great choice for someone that can't decide betweeen the two. The tough thing about 29er's in general is that most LBS don't stock them and you can't get a hands-on feel for the bikes before making a purchase. My LBS has only sold a few so far and were happy to order and build it, but consider the 29er a niche market.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B

... and if we just ... uhhhh....see my avatar

i can't tell ya bout the 29er versions,but my monocog's a few seaSSons old now,and still one of my 2 favorite bikes to ride (it'd depend on where i's ridin @ the time whether i'd ride the 'cog or my RM blizzard......"steal is real" and all that jazz!!!).i went thru a dry spell for $ most of this year and have a few other projects to finnish first,but i'm back to havin a (very) little $ to play w/,so i'll be sittin where yer at when i get caught up.for my $,if i want a 29er SS,i'll buy another m'cog,but if buildin specifically a gearie,the price on a zion + scroungin enuff parts to get rollin from other steeds can't be beat.so to answer yer question with a strait answer...i dunno,or it depends

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    anyone compared the Motobecane outcast and the monocog by redline?

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Looks like the Redline wins!

Members who have read this thread: 0