Mondraker- Mtbr.com

Thread: Mondraker

mtbr member
    May 2016

Mondraker

hello,
    where is the mondraker forum ?
    this is an important brand in europe with a good lineup of bike.
    They have a Nice philosophy with their forward geometry and they stick to it since a long time.

The new foxy is rad and the dune is an insane big enduro bike since more than a decade.

https://www.bikemag.com/gear/mountai...-carbon-rr-sl/

mtbr member
    May 2016
    wow no ones cares about this bikes lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by choan View Post
    wow no ones cares about this bikes lol
    I care and want a Foxy but very little info in NA even thought they are supposed to be available here now.
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    X-Fusion Sweep RL2 160mm fork
    Straitline Defacto pedals
    Renthal Fatbar with TV 40mm stem
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I currently have a Foxy out on demo. Rode it yesterday. Was super sweet. I am on the fence with it since it is so new here. Do I want to go tried and true SC or break out of the norm? Any ideas??

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by burrells View Post
    I currently have a Foxy out on demo. Rode it yesterday. Was super sweet. I am on the fence with it since it is so new here. Do I want to go tried and true SC or break out of the norm? Any ideas??
    Which Foxy do you have out? I'm pretty curious about trying one too. It is hard to get away from the awesome Santa Cruz customer support though. From the reading I've done they do a pretty good job too. And you are obviously pretty close to a shop. I've talked to the distributor in Colorado and they seemed to be pretty enthusiastic about the carrying the bikes fwiw.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    The dealer here (there are only 6 in the USA so far) only has the AL version. He threw on a Ohlins fork and different handle bar (which is a super weird sweep on the Mondraker), just so I could get a feel of the carbon end one that I am looking at. I really liked it. Im looking at the Foxxy Carbon rr which is not set to be ready for delivery until Feb. It climbs very well (which is what I wanted) and tracks super great downhill. I'm still not super convinced if that's the bike for me. I always take a VERY long time in decision making when it involves that much money. The dealer here says the man who designed it is very meticulous and extremely smart.

while im not flying im ri
    Hi all
    ask for an advice
    Im keen to get a -used- 2017 foxy r frame and I discussed to WilliamK (the owner of foxy xr thread-the only mondraker thread I guessed-) bout the bike...and I plan to build it part by part. For the time being this is the line-up
    - RockShox pike
    - Sram gx eagle 12s
    - Sram guide ultimate
    - dt swiss ex1501 splineone
    - rs reverb
    Any more advice ? Thankss

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Foxy 29er frame on order, hope to be riding it early August.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by R3D24 View Post
    Updates please.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    Updates please.

Frame arrives this Tuesday. Will be riding by Wednesday

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Your previous bike, preferred terrain, and skil level?

I'm really considering replacing my SB5.5 which is, frankly the benchmark in the category.

But I don't want to spend thousands just cause, I am looking for genuine improvements.

So little info on this bike. I do despise how the cables just hang below the bike, how lame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Foxy 29 RR Frame Large arrived and bike is built. One ride so far, mostly spent getting the suspension close. Really impressive, hoping to get a real ride on it soon. Build: Fox 36 Fit2, GX Eagle drive train (temporary), Descendant carbon cranks, Hope V4/E4 brakes w/203-180 rotors, Bikeyoke dropperpost, Renthal bar and stem, LB rims w/Hope hubs, Specialized 2.6 Butcher Grid/2.3 Purgatory grid tires, Time MX-8 pedals. 30lbs on the nose.

Gigantic Hawk
    Foxy 29 RR Frame Large arrived and bike is built. One ride so far, mostly spent getting the suspension close. Really impressive, hoping to get a real ride on it soon. Build: Fox 36 Fit2, GX Eagle drive train (temporary), Descendant carbon cranks, Hope V4/E4 brakes w/203-180 rotors, Bikeyoke dropperpost, Renthal bar and stem, LB rims w/Hope hubs, Specialized 2.6 Butcher Grid/2.3 Purgatory grid tires, Time MX-8 pedals. 30lbs on the nose.
    Updates? Also, how tall are you and what size did you choose?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    He bought a large.

I'm still very interested in this bicycle as well. However the SB5.5 I have now is flat amazing and I don't want to swap for no good reasons at all. I'm looking for genuine improvements if possible.

Updates and comparisons desired.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I am 72.5" tall. Bike is very impressive, the geometry is legit, very under control at speed through rough/rocky terrain yet still works very well in tighter, slower situations. Close to having the suspension dialed in for a trip to Moab and CO in a couple of weeks. Can not wait to let this bike "go" in thr big mountains.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I am 72.5" tall. Bike is very impressive, the geometry is legit, very under control at speed through rough/rocky terrain yet still works very well in tighter, slower situations. Close to having the suspension dialed in for a trip to Moab and CO in a couple of weeks. Can not wait to let this bike "go" in thr big mountains.
    Which shock are you on?

I feel like the coil option was more a fashion choice than an ideal choice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by suns_psd View Post
    which shock are you on?

I feel like the coil option was more a fashion choice than an ideal choice.

Sent from my sm-g892a using tapatalk
    dpx2

mtbr member
    If you don't mind, how $$$ was frame? I do not see the frame only option on their site and their "contact us" link is broken. You did not happen to weigh the frame/shock before you assembled it did you?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'd buy this frane set if I could get the color (blue/ red) wiith the shock (X2 air) I want.

I spoke to two linkage suspension nerds today, 1 at Fox and 1 at Avalanche. I point blank had them look at Antonio's linkage blog for the Foxy 29 and both were clear, this bike needs an air shock.

One echoed my thoughts that the coil shock was a fashionable choice, not the correct choice, and simply won't work nearly as well as an air shock on this bike.

The issue is that I can find no deals on this bike. With sales tax I'd spend about $4.5k on a frame set. Then I'd want an X2 ($600) and now it doesn't have the needed light tune so it needs to be revalved, likely by Avy for around $350.

When you put it all together, well I think the bike is rad as heck I do, but between the high price and the wrong shock, it makes it really exorbitant.

I'm open to solutions.

mtbr member
    When you put it all together, well I think the bike is rad as heck I do, but between the high price and the wrong shock, it makes it really exorbitant.

I'd be interested in a Foxy 29...but man are they spendy! I don't always agree with Bible, but I think they were right in this case: it's gonna be tough to compete with Canyon/YT/etc. at those prices...hell, it'll be tough to compete with Yeti!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I am about 99% sure I'll be buying this frameset once it's available. With an air shock.

Gigantic Hawk
    I am about 99% sure I'll be buying this frameset once it's available. With an air shock.

I may be wrong, but the price of the frame compared to the price of the R model makes me think that it is a better value to buy the R, sell all the parts, and then start from there. Or just sell and upgrade as you go.

Unless you already have all the parts needed for a build.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I had considered that. But I do have a complete bike worth of good parts to build the Mondraker.

Anyways, 99% sure I'm ordering a Mondraker frame set in November when they are available.

EDITED BECAUSE I WAS TOLD INCORRECT INFO
    They will have 2framesets available (I spoke to the importer):

1) Black one with the low end DPX2.
    2) Blue one with the DHF2 Coil.

If anyone orders the black one, and would like to swap out their Monarch for the coil shock I'll be getting on the blue one, let's talk.
    Last edited by Suns_PSD; 08-30-2018 at 11:24 AM.

Gigantic Hawk
    I had considered that. But I do have a complete bike worth of good parts to build the Mondraker.

Anyways, 99% sure I'm ordering a Mondraker frame set in November when they are available.

They will have 3 framesets available (I spoke to the importer):

1) Yellow one with the DPX2.
    2) Blue one with the X2 Coil.
    3) Black one with the Monarch.

If anyone orders the black one, and would like to swap out their Monarch for the coil shock I'll be getting on the blue one, let's talk.
    Keep us up to date with the build. I'm trying to track down a complete R build. They will have aluminum ones too by the end of the year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    So this other Mondraker thread Foxy 29 thread in the All Mountain forum seems to have a bit more momentum so I'll probably just post over there generally.

But we are a small community so frankly I wish they could be joined.

http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/...a-1078109.html

Anyways, I have ordered a Foxy 29 XR Frame Kit.

I personally am not interested in using the coil shock it came with so it is for sale, as a brand new take off, if anyone is interested in November once the bike arrives. I have already ordered my preferred air shock.

I am excited about my purchase and am working to get the handful of other parts I'll need on hand to build the bike once it arrives.

The bike addiction continues, 4th bike on 4.5 years total of riding!

mtbr member
    So this other Mondraker thread Foxy 29 thread in the All Mountain forum seems to have a bit more momentum so I'll probably just post over there generally.

But we are a small community so frankly I wish they could be joined.

http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/...a-1078109.html

Anyways, I have ordered a Foxy 29 XR Frame Kit.

I personally am not interested in using the coil shock it came with so it is for sale, as a brand new take off, if anyone is interested in November once the bike arrives. I have already ordered my preferred air shock.

I am excited about my purchase and am working to get the handful of other parts I'll need on hand to build the bike once it arrives.

The bike addiction continues, 4th bike on 4.5 years total of riding!
    Dude, you need to be the man to build this brand on MTBR and get it's own owners page. Absolutely gorgeous bike and very unique with design. I know the popularity will grow since the bikes ride great according to everyone I know that's ridden one.

Now that the Mondraker 29'ers are getting the treatment things will be heating up with such a badass bike and company.
    Yeti SB165
    Yeti SB150
    Yeti SB130 AXS
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    Dude, you need to be the man to build this brand on MTBR and get it's own owners page. Absolutely gorgeous bike and very unique with design. I know the popularity will grow since the bikes ride great according to everyone I know that's ridden one.

Now that the Mondraker 29'ers are getting the treatment things will be heating up with such a badass bike and company.
    With aluminum frames coming for 2019, more people will be able to afford them so a landing page for all things Mondraker would be sweet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    With aluminum frames coming for 2019, more people will be able to afford them so a landing page for all things Mondraker would be sweet.
    My local Mondraker dealer, Cycle Progression, had 2 aluminum framed Foxy 27.5s on the showroom.

Gigantic Hawk
    My local Mondraker dealer, Cycle Progression, had 2 aluminum framed Foxy 27.5s on the showroom.

I mean aluminum Foxy 29's.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Every part I need for my Foxy 29 build is bought, well except for the frame which is ordered but not due until sometime in November.

I decided to remove the DHX2 coil shock (for sale btw!) before I ever ride the bike so I can sell it as a new take off. I am using a RockShox Superdeluxe RC3 that was a take off from a '18 Spartan as the needed shock size isn't available except OEM and I sent it to Avalanche to be rebuilt and tuned to work with the Foxy LR.

To match the shock and to also get a 42mm offset instead of the 44mm offset on the Fox (more better with the 42 everyone says), I purchased a take off Rockshox Yari RS off a 2019 Sentinel. The Yari has an identical chassis as the Lyric, the identical air spring, it just has a non adjustable valving stack.. The reduced offset, while available on OEM builds, isn't yet available new (but will be soon) which is why I tracked down a new take off. I also sent the fork to Avy for their magic and they replace the entire valving side so it's just like I started with a Lyric anyways (well except I saved $600!). Avy recommended both suspension products for this application and considers them class leading giving them the best canvas to work with. I literally bought that exact bike and choose those exact suspension components partially based on having Craig's technical support for the platform and advise. He has gotten the suspension on my Yeti 5.5 (soon for sale!) so dialed that I didn't want to go backwards in this regard to try just to gain my preferred geometry.

I'm going to just start with a 'Problem Solver' dropper shim to verify that my current 175mm dropper is the correct fit for the bike before I consider ordering the correct sized dropper. I want to get the longest dropper that will clear obviously but that's so hard to know until the bike is actually in your hands. Also KS Lev is introducing some slightly longer sizes (i.e 185, 200, etc) soon so I'd hold out for one of those if the Foxy 29er can fit it.

I'll update with a photo of the bike once I get it built as well as a weight. I'm sort of a weight weenie and since my Yeti has a heavier frame and weighs 28.6# I suspect nearly the same out of this bike with nearly the same parts (even though I'm adding a tire noodle).

I found a barely used Enve 35/ 35mm stem from a trusted friend so that'll be my short stem. Doesn't look as good as the Renthal, however it serves my WW desires well and was priced really right.

Oh, as I'm taking all parts that I can reuse off of my Yeti 5.5, I'll be reusing my Eagle XX1. However, I really dislike the cables hanging underneath the bottom bracket on the Foxy. It looks clumsy. Anyways, if this new Sram E-Tap thing works well and doesn't gain any weight I'll be adding that to the build the moment it's available.

~ take care

PS. I decided that this forum for 'Custom Builders & Other Manufacturers' is a better place for all things Mondraker related and will continue on this thread as I don't want the very few Mondraker threads to get lost in a sea of of other forums..

Gigantic Hawk
    Picked up my Foxy 29 R from CFM Cycles last week, and took it to Kingdom Trails for the weekend. The bike is a blast, and it quickly pointed out how out of shape I have become this season.

The build quality is really nice, and the kit on the R isn't that bad. There are a few things that I need to swap out though. Firstly, I threw on a set of silicon grips after 1 day of riding. I'm an ESI guy, and I just couldn't handle the stock ones. They were too thin, and uncomfortable. I am replacing the saddle too. I don't care for the SDG Fly shape, and I prefer a smooth cover. I will pick up a smooth SDG Duster or Falcon to replace it. Lastly, the rear hub is awful. The DT 370 does not have enough engagement for my riding style. As for tires, they work if you like drifting the rear out, but if you don't, you will need to replace the rear tire.

I hit up mostly downhill oriented trails at Kingdom, and holy hell, this bike is fast in a straight line. It can get a little hard to handle in tight berms, but a bit of rear tire sliding helps to pull it around. I need to adjust the rear shock a bit more as it popped up on me faster than I wanted it to on some whoops. It was never an issue since the length of the bike keeps it from bucking. It climbs well seated, and even better with the suspension locked out (or in firm setting). I left it open for most of my riding except for a long two mile climb that we ended up doing three different times.

I am sore today as I write this. It is amazing at how much more physical input this bike requires due to the speeds that it can achieve. It stays glued to the ground so getting it up in the air requires a bit more effort and forethought. I'm sure that will change as I adapt to the bike more and more.

Final notes, use a side entry water bottle cage, and if you use a large bottle, it may tap against the top tube (at least on a size medium). That small fender is super close to the tire too. I may try to find a different way to mount it.

Mondraker-img_20180916_141245565.jpg

Mondraker-img_20180914_152756588_hdr.jpg

Mondraker-img_20180914_152813085.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Based on that review, I don't know if you love the handling or not (ignoring the OEM build).

Being super capable in a dead straight line, is really low on my personal priority list. It's not even important at the bike parks after all.

It's clearly a polarizing bike. In the PB review Mike stated that 'like all things with a strong personality you either love it or hate it'.

Explain this turning thing. PB said the front end wanted to wash out unless you were really aggressive. You are finding the rear end wants to wash out instead. Seems contradictory. Does the rear wheel let go quickly when cornering smoothly, or does it require rear brake to make that happen or extreme body movement? Are you running the recommended 35% sag for this bike? Rear tire air pressure?

Thanks!

Gigantic Hawk
    Based on that review, I don't know if you love the handling or not (ignoring the OEM build).

Being super capable in a dead straight line, is really low on my personal priority list. It's not even important at the bike parks after all.

It's clearly a polarizing bike. In the PB review Mike stated that 'like all things with a strong personality you either love it or hate it'.
    I do like the handling, but it is different from what I am used to. I need to put more time in on the bike to truly get a feel for it. The bike is fast. It feels like it actually picks up speed when going straight, that's all. It is not the same feeling as as a trail bike. This bike is bike. It feels more capable, more comfortable, and provides a more confidence inspiring ride.

Explain this turning thing. PB said the front end wanted to wash out unless you were really aggressive. You are finding the rear end wants to wash out instead. Seems contradictory. Does the rear wheel let go quickly when cornering smoothly, or does it require rear brake to make that happen or extreme body movement? Are you running the recommended 35% sag for this bike? Rear tire air pressure?

Thanks!

I had no issues with the front end. I found that it does require some muscle to keep it course if I came out of a berm too high. The back slides a bit because of the tire choice on the OEM build. The berms are really tight around here, and being able to slide the back around really helps in getting the bike through them. I used the brake to slide the rear with a bit of body english. I only had one time where it washed out on its own and that was due to slick mud. The shock was a hair under 35% and the rear tire was about 22psi. I plan to try a little less air in the shock for my next ride.

I am still experimenting with this bike so things will change as I adapt, and swap out parts. For example, the handlebar is slightly wider than what I am used to, and I plan to cut it down to 760mm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Good deal. Do keep us updated.

Avalanche Racing called me today to go over some things regarding the used Super Deluxe RC3 I sent them (they suggested that shock specifically) that they are revalving for my own Foxy 29 frameset that's on order. Craig really understands suspension theory, combines it with info that he is able to track down regarding that specific bike's leverage ratio, and combines it with my particular needs. The man does his homework. You really get a lot for your money over there.

He wants me to run around 28-30% sag as he feels the 35% recommendation is just compensating for a LR/ shock set up that is not ideal. Ultimately you need the correct negative travel without being so deep in to the midstroke that it packs up. Anyways... you could say I'm excited to receive my own Foxy.

Gigantic Hawk
    Second ride report.

Went out today to hit up some local stuff. It was a short ride that consisted of two hill climbs (the same one, twice) and two different downhill trails. First, I adjusted my rear shock so that it was around 30% sag. I am about 160 pounds kitted up, and I had the shock at 150psi with 11 clicks of rebound (counter clockwise towards open). This helped a lot with making the rear end feel more supple, and with less kick back. I didn't end up using 100% of the travel (close), but there weren't any huge drops on these trails either. The small drops that I did hit felt very nice and bottomless.

The two trails I went down are typical New England roots and rocks. It rained earlier today so I didn't feel comfortable going all out due to the slickness. However I did manage to get myself into a few "oh sh!t' moments where the Foxy excelled by simply laying off the brakes to go faster. I did manage to PR a hill climb today which I found odd since I thought I was going slow.

I've really began to notice that body position makes a huge difference on this bike as far as handling goes. Small movements in weight transfer front to back make a big difference in how the front of this bike handles. I know that experienced riders are saying, "no crap" right now, but to me, this seems much more pronounced on this bike compared to some others that I have ridden. The front responds really well to leaning also.

Will update again in a few days with a new ride report. I have a xc race this weekend (12 hours, multi lap) that I think I'm going to run this on for a lap or two.

Mondraker-img_20180918_174328505_hdr.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Keep the ride reports coming!

PS. If anyone is coil curious I'll have one for sale (new take of) in November.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    10% bike tariffs go in to effect today. Mondraker will have to pay an extra 10% to get the November frames in to the States unless they were already here. I guess that's based on their wholesale number which is probably half of retail but that's just a guess.

Hopefully the current deal I agreed to will be honored.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    10% bike tariffs go in to effect today. Mondraker will have to pay an extra 10% to get the November frames in to the States unless they were already here. I guess that's based on their wholesale number which is probably half of retail but that's just a guess.

Hopefully the current deal I agreed to will be honored.
    It should be based on first cost, ie what Mondraker paid for it originally. They should not have to pay on all the other costs that are associated with the item after they received possession.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Gigantic Hawk
    I'll write a ride report later, but I wanted to share a couple pics of the rear fender. I'd assume the fender comes mounted from the factory. If this is true, it is placed super close to the tire. I moved it to the other side of the mounting tabs to gain a couple of mils of clearance. It doesn't look like much, but it makes a big difference in the amount of crap that gets caught up in that area.

Before.
    Mondraker-img_20180922_070934401.jpg Mondraker-img_20180922_070940508.jpg

After.
    Mondraker-img_20180922_072030122.jpg Mondraker-img_20180922_072022074.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Solid tip.

I'll do the same once I receive my Foxy.

Thanks!

Ps. Is that the 2.3 or the 2.5 Aggressor? I typically run a 2.5 but that looks pretty close if that's just the 2.3.

Gigantic Hawk
    Solid tip.

I'll do the same once I receive my Foxy.

Thanks!

Ps. Is that the 2.3 or the 2.5 Aggressor? I typically run a 2.5 but that looks pretty close if that's just the 2.3.
    It's the 2.3.

Gigantic Hawk
    Here are some clearance pics of the rear chain stays.

I'd be interested to see how a bigger tire fits out back. I'm sure the fender can be mounted in another way that increases the space even more than how I currently have it.

Mondraker-img_20180925_120843942.jpg

Mondraker-img_20180925_120905180.jpg

Mondraker-img_20180925_120914803.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Looks a bit tight for the 2.5 imo which has been my go to tire for some time.

Not the end of the world cause I was shopping for something a bit smaller already, however I do hate to lose the choice.

Gigantic Hawk
    Ride report.

Overall, I have been faster on this bike than on my previous bike. This is not an apples to apples comparison though, because my other bike is a Canfield N9 setup as a 5 speed or a single speed. That said, I still don't have my skills dialed in perfectly for the Mondraker. I am still working on getting it off the ground and into the air exactly when I need to, and getting it to carve corners with less braking needed.

I did a 12 hour (4 person team) XC style race about a week ago with this bike. I have done this race for several years, and I was faster overall on the Modraker than I was on my Canfield. I could really open it up on the downs, but more importantly, this bike tractors up climbs. With the suspension left open, the Foxy finds incredible amounts of traction to power over rocks and roots. Many places that would leave my spinning the rear wheel normally, would just hook up under this bike. I found that I was taking the crappier lines because they were straighter and faster. I was really surprised at just how well the bike did on a tighter, twistier XC course.

I changed the saddle out for a smooth covered SDG Falcon. That made a huge change in my comfort level. I am thinking about switching out the NX shifter for a GX version so I can get the Matchmaker setup. It's a minor detail, but I want the shifter a hair more toward the grip, but the brake mount is in the way.

Tomorrow, I am headed south to ride Roanoke, Pisgah, and Shenandoah so I'll update after that.

Mondraker-img_20180921_164941993.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Today arrived the last of the parts I need to build my Foxy 29 when the frameset arrives.

I had purchased these used suspension components and sight unseen had sent them to Avalanche Racing to have both ends revalved for the new bike.

Can I say here that bike people are just the best people? Good people all around.

Here is my parts list, things that I am unable to pilfar from my current SB5.5.

1. 2018 Rockshox Superdeluxe revalved and destroked by Avy (off Spartan)
    2. 2019 Rockshox 42mm offset Yari revalved by Avy (off Sentinel)
    3. Hawk BB
    4. Problem Solver dropper shim
    5. Torque Caps for my 321 front hub
    6. Invisiframe sticker kit
    7. Used Enve 35 length 35 stem

That ought to about do it. I'm not missing any riding as the weather has been awful for weeks.

Ps. The other bikes I was considering were the new Yeti's but they are putting a lot of sideways stress on the SI and shock and developing a lot of early problems as a result. Glad I didn't go that direction after all.
    Last edited by Suns_PSD; 10-09-2018 at 04:20 AM.

Gigantic Hawk
    Updated ride report.

Just got back from NC and VA the other day where we did mostly hike-a-bike up, and epic runs down. We hit up Douthat, Carvin's Cove, Pisgah, Dupont, and Stokevilles. By the end of the trip, I had smoked out the Sram Guide T brakes. Other than that, and some finicky shifting from the slightly mangled NX derailleur, the bike was flawless.

Biking uphill on narrow singletrack at very slow speeds is not easy. It is hard to keep the front end pointed straight once fatigue sets in. Not a big deal on a double or fire road, but very problematic when there is a cliff on one side of the singetrack. Still, the bike pedals well uphill, but better at a faster pace than the bail out gear provides.

I am used to running 165mm cranks. This bike has 170's which lead to some pedal strikes. None of them were awful though, but mated to the subpar DT Swiss 370 rear hub, they can be hard to avoid since it becomes hard to ratchet the pedals.

We rode some really loose, techy, chunk on some of the trails. I never lost control of the front end to the point of causing a crash. Even in areas where the terrain tells your brain that you are completely f'd, the bike stayed upright, and just rolled on kicking loose rocks all over the place. Those loose rocks have me buying some better downtube protection. The added reach also helped to keep me on the bike when wrong lines were chosen, or when brain and brakes weren't in sync.

Hitting drops and tables are awesome on this thing. It lands nice and easy. The size of this bike is noticeable in the air. My air skills are not great, and having the wheels pushed farther out creates a bit of uneasiness as the gyro effect can move the bike around a bit. This is something I just need to gain more experience with.

Mondraker-img_20181005_130600739.jpg

Mondraker-img_20181006_134503583_hdr.jpg

Mondraker-img_20181008_162514800_hdr.jpg

Once I got home, I moved the rear fender again. This time I spaced it even farther toward the shock. I trimmed the bottom of the fender, and used some small spacers so that it would sit on the other side of the stays. It collects too much crap in the previous position. Tomorrow, I will find out if this is a better setup, but as of now, the clearance gained is huge.

Old setup
    Mondraker-img_20181012_181205270.jpg

New setup
    Mondraker-img_20181012_183740869.jpg

Mondraker-img_20181012_185040091.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks so much for the update as I enjoy them.

I'm still looking at November for my frame delivery.

Clearly a bike like the Foxy 29, or any of these longer bikes are going to be a bear to maneuver at 'very slow speeds' which I personally do a fair bit of.

As far as pedal strikes the Foxy has darn near higher BB than any other modern geometry bike out there. The SB130 is 13mm lower for instance.

My strength is going through switch backs as well as flowing turns so hopefully I'll keep that advantage on the Foxy. Maybe the 42mm offset (instead of the speced 44mm) of the Rockshox fork that I'll be running will assist with this?

I really want the better jumping and confidence on the steeps, that's what lead me to this bike because it's where I could be better.

Mondraker is having a demo day on one of my local gnar trails Oct 30th so I'll be able to ride one about a week before mine arrives.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 10-14-2018 at 06:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm told my Foxy is on an air shipment to the distributor and it won't be long now.

I haven't missed hardly any riding over these last 2 months because it's literally been raining for 8 weeks here in Central TX. Weather and conditions should be ideal right about the time I finally hit the trails on my Mondraker.

I did order some tool storage crap for the bike last night. I went with the ToPeak Ninja bottle holder with a little storage container on the bottom. I went with the smaller road version and it will hold my Lezyne multitool well and allow me store a few other things as well. It only comes with a center mount, will I be able to remove a water bottle if it's not a side mount?. I also went with a OneUp 100cc pump that opens up and I just can stuff random things inside, like tire plugs and what not.

Gigantic Hawk
    It only comes with a center mount, will I be able to remove a water bottle if it's not a side mount?. I also went with a OneUp 100cc pump that opens up and I just can stuff random things inside, like tire plugs and what not.
    Depends on the frame size. Mine is a medium, and I could use a large bottle in an Arundel carbon cage without issue, but it was tight. I use a side loading Lyzene cage now though. Larger size frames will definitely fit without issue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks. Frame size is a large.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    What exactly is that weird looking little silver spring in the linkage for?

Gigantic Hawk
    What exactly is that weird looking little silver spring in the linkage for?

There is no spring. I believe what you are looking at is the carbon fiber center piece on the link.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180922_072022074.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	1217817
    I see a black metal coiled smallish spring behind your front chainring down in the lower parts of the linkage. Are my eyes playing tricks on me?

Gigantic Hawk
    It's all tricks. It is a carbon center section on the link.

mtbr member
    I see a black metal coiled smallish spring behind your front chainring down in the lower parts of the linkage. Are my eyes playing tricks on me?
    Thatís just the machining on the linkage.

mtbr member
    This isn't a spring, its the machining on the linkage.

mtbr member
    Here's my Foxy 29.

Upgrades from the stock R model include:

• GX Drivetrain
    • Custom Wheelset with Stan's Arch and DT 350s (54t ratchet upgrade)
    • Absolute Black 30t oval chainring
    • Cane Creek eeWings Crankset
    • Spank Spike vibrocore handlebar
    • Hope Tech 3 e4 Brakes
    • Vorsprung Luftkappe and Avalanche cartridge in the fork
    • Wolftooth dropper lever
    • SDG Fly mtn Ti railed saddle (not pictured)
    • Syntace Megaforce 2 30mm stem (not pictured)

Mondraker-d18bca37-0d75-4b71-999e-231a9024edb3.jpgMondraker-20181016_210751875_ios.jpgMondraker-20181018_174843237_ios.jpgMondraker-20181016_210817234_ios.jpgMondraker-20181016_210702275_ios.jpgMondraker-20181016_210716765_ios.jpgMondraker-20181019_182343944_ios.jpgMondraker-20181020_173541289_ios.jpgMondraker-20181020_174515835_ios.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Looks great.

I was told yesterday my frameset will ship from the distributor in CO to my dealer no later than this Monday, so I'll be riding mine by next weekend for sure.

The wait hasn't been an issue as our trails have been soaked for nearly 3 months and are just now drying out.

What does that Luft thing accomplish? I have a '19 Yari fork with an Avy cartridge and Debonair going on my Foxy.

mtbr member
    I demo'd this bike today and was blown away at how fast and agile it is. Set a handful of PR's and a KOM on the strava device even. I was running 280psi in the DPX2 and had a couple harsh bottoms where I shouldn't have. Sag was around 22%. The Fox Tune ID says it has a 0.6 spacer stock. I believe this is the biggest you can use? The bike shop said it had a 0.2. Can anyone confirm?

Also, I ran a 2.5DHF and had rubber marks on the seat stays and chainstays so I would assume a 2.4 is as big as you can run without rubbing.
    Denver, CO

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    I demo'd this bike today and was blown away at how fast and agile it is. Set a handful of PR's and a KOM on the strava device even. I was running 280psi in the DPX2 and had a couple harsh bottoms where I shouldn't have. Sag was around 22%. The Fox Tune ID says it has a 0.6 spacer stock. I believe this is the biggest you can use? The bike shop said it had a 0.2. Can anyone confirm?

Also, I ran a 2.5DHF and had rubber marks on the seat stays and chainstays so I would assume a 2.4 is as big as you can run without rubbing.
    How much do you weight kitted out? And how big were the drops that you were hitting? 280 seems extremely high. That is almost double what I run, and I have yet to bottom out the rear shock.

mtbr member
    How much do you weight kitted out? And how big were the drops that you were hitting? 280 seems extremely high. That is almost double what I run, and I have yet to bottom out the rear shock.
    About 200lbs, no drops bigger than a foot or so but lots of high speed rough rock 30+mph.
    Denver, CO

Gigantic Hawk
    GearTech, I see you bike made it on Vital's bike of the day, congrats!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I've been trying to get my Foxy on that 'bike of the day' but I think my one crappy photo isn't cutting it.