Mini EVO review (pro/con)- Mtbr.com
    locked - time out

Mini EVO review (pro/con)

This is only a mini review. I addmittedly still need/want more time in the saddle, so you can take some of this w/ a grain of salt.

PROS!!!

1. The bike pedals very well.
    2. It feels lighter than it looks.
    3. Decending is what it does best. Unlike my current ride it maitains momentum MUCH better through the rough stuff.
    4. Little jumps and drops were very balanced. I can only imagine that larger ones would be equally as smooth.
    5. I like the smaller cockpit. Bike is more flickable and seemed to rail berms very well.
    6. Though the bike had some phantom shifting it was a fairly good climber. If the phantom was not present I'm quite sure the bike would climb on par if not better than most 6" bikes.
    7. Small bump absorption was very good. You could not even feel the rear working.
    8. The new deraileur hanger is way beefy. All you peeps with the older version should upgrade.

CONS!

1. The front is quite light on the climbs. You do need a travel adjust for the fork.
    2. The giant seat stay hit my ankle whenever I was not going in a straight line.
    3. Not a fan of the Lyrik fork. ( has nothing to do with the frame ) I think a better compliment would be a 36 or my 66.

The cons are very petty. In fact the only concern would be the huge seatstay hitting my ankle. I hope to get more time on the Evo as I enjoyed the ride.

Feel free to comment or ask questions.

EVO =

mtbr member
    Hey - good to see you actually got some riding in this time around!

Where are the pictures?

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by dubjay
    Hey - good to see you actually got some riding in this time around!

Where are the pictures?
    Rode solo w/no camera. Sorry.

mtbr member
    Originally posted by TIMBERRR
    3. Not a fan of the Lyrik fork. ( has nothing to do with the frame ) I think a better compliment would be a 36 or my 66.
    What didn't you like about the Lyrik? I ask because I'm trying to decide whether to get a Lyrik or a 66 rc2 eta for my Evo at this moment.

locked - time out
    Just didn't have a stout enough feel. Also seemed to blow through the travel. Could have been set up. Perhaps some adjustments could have fixed it.

Still I'd get the 66.

I'm on fire.
    For a second there I thought your thread was going to review an EVO that Chumba is making for little-people.
    Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.
    Cycle CNY

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Not to jump on your thread, but thought you might want a little more info on the Lyrik before making a major purchase.

I bought my Evo spec'ed out with the 2-step and it worked great for about a month. It then started creeping down through the travel until the seals were at the 115mm mark. I tried letting out all the air pressure and pumping back up again, but that did not work. I finally called Scram and they had me take it to a local bike shop for them to inspect. It seems like this is something that is a manufactors flaw and Rockshox is developing a fix for it. In the meantime, Rockshox sent the U-Turn damper for my bike shop to install until they get the problem fixed. The U-Turn seems to work really well, but it sounds like there is some loose change rattling inside my fork while riding on rough trails. I don't know if this is common or not, but I'm taking it back to the shop for advice. Also, the crown is starting to creak. I'm a fairly smooth rider and do not abuse my bike, but this is getting ridiculous.

Hope this helps, I would not by a Lyrik again until these types of problems are fixed.

locked - time out
    66 or 36 all the way. The Lyrik feels like a "TOY". Not very stout. Just an Opinion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rule6
    Not to jump on your thread, but thought you might want a little more info on the Lyrik before making a major purchase.

I bought my Evo spec'ed out with the 2-step and it worked great for about a month. It then started creeping down through the travel until the seals were at the 115mm mark. I tried letting out all the air pressure and pumping back up again, but that did not work. I finally called Scram and they had me take it to a local bike shop for them to inspect. It seems like this is something that is a manufactors flaw and Rockshox is developing a fix for it. In the meantime, Rockshox sent the U-Turn damper for my bike shop to install until they get the problem fixed. The U-Turn seems to work really well, but it sounds like there is some loose change rattling inside my fork while riding on rough trails. I don't know if this is common or not, but I'm taking it back to the shop for advice. Also, the crown is starting to creak. I'm a fairly smooth rider and do not abuse my bike, but this is getting ridiculous.

Hope this helps, I would not by a Lyrik again until these types of problems are fixed.

I have had this happen as well and YES this is a serial problem with recient RS Dual Air systems, the good news is RS has found the problem and are back in production. Besides this, personal experience with the Lyik is 100% positive, once they are through the break-in period they are by far my favorite fork in this travel range. It is also very well balanced to the EVO's rear suspension. Give it some time before you throw it in the trash.
    Now point that EVO downhill and have some fun!!

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Zen

I have had this happen as well and YES this is a serial problem with recient RS Dual Air systems, the good news is RS has found the problem and are back in production. Besides this, personal experience with the Lyik is 100% positive, once they are through the break-in period they are by far my favorite fork in this travel range. It is also very well balanced to the EVO's rear suspension. Give it some time before you throw it in the trash.
    Now point that EVO downhill and have some fun!!
    Have you been on a 66? Just curious.

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    mmmmmmmm....pure buttah...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    Yes, I have. 66 is very nice, depending on where you would like your fork to excel.
    The 66 would be a good match for more aggressive riding, while the Lirik would be a better trail fork. I haven't had a chance to ride the 08 36 yet, which is supposed to be more supple than the 06 & 07 versions. (Lets Hope!)

mtbr member
    I'm looking at the coil lyrik, I wouldn't get anybodies air fork, just sounds like more problems than it's worth.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardway
    I'm looking at the coil lyrik, I wouldn't get anybodies air fork, just sounds like more problems than it's worth.
    Then go coil front and rear ( = downhill bliss , uphill not so much )

mtbr member
    I've got a pike up front and a ccdb in the back. I've got to run the extra stiff spring in the pike to keep from bottoming out on bigger stuff, but it really stiffens the fork on the smaller bumps. I'm hoping that I can go down to the firm spring in the lyric because I'll have more travel, and the damping is supposed to be better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardway
    I've got a pike up front and a ccdb in the back. I've got to run the extra stiff spring in the pike to keep from bottoming out on bigger stuff, but it really stiffens the fork on the smaller bumps. I'm hoping that I can go down to the firm spring in the lyric because I'll have more travel, and the damping is supposed to be better.

Is that front and rear combo on an EVO?? I would think on that bike a Pike would have a hard time keeping up!

mtbr member
    The Pike holds it's own. I'm really pushing it though, that's why I want something bigger.
    Yes, they're on an Evo.

Members who have read this thread: 0