MBA EVO Test Ride- Mtbr.com
    CURB HUCK!!!!!!
    May 2006

MBA EVO Test Review

What do you guys think about the review given to the Chumba Evo in the newest November Issue of MBA?
    It doesn't sounds like they were blown away by it but it seemed like they really liked it. They categorized it as more of a heavy duty all-mountain light dh bike and compared it to the spec-bullit
    Kona Coiler

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    Funny, I was just talking to someone about that review. No they did not sound like they were blown away by it like the one they did with Nomad. BUT since the EVO is not first to market unlike Nomad. The Nomad blown them away because there weren't anything like it, it's the first 6 inch travel bike that can climb still.

I think their evaluation is fairly accurate because of EVO's DH ability. BUT their built wasn't light enough for them to really eval it on the lighter side of AM.....mine is 32lbs. Even they said the EVO is so much fun going down that getting up is good but decending is just that much more fun.

Also the Z1 light they have on the build does not change travel(ETA doesn't work as well) so climbing on that build would be pain in the @$$.....literally! It's best to build the EVO with travel adjustable forks like the new Fox36, RS Lyrik or Marz AM(07). Once the build is done correctly the EVO does go up and down with style!

BTW. Check out the picture, the riders are smiling on every picture. Don't see that normally on a eval shoot.
    Last edited by duke777; 09-28-2006 at 08:52 AM.
    "Didn't your doctor tell you to stop smoking and drinking?" George Burns "Yes but they all died"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

So, so.

Quote Originally Posted by umbertom
    What do you guys think about the review given to the Chumba Evo in the newest November Issue of MBA?
    It doesn't sounds like they were blown away by it but it seemed like they really liked it. They categorized it as more of a heavy duty all-mountain light dh bike and compared it to the spec-bullit
    It is hard to take MBA action seriously. They made a few good points, but I also found some of the review to be off kilter. MBA makes it sound like the Evo only comes in a 35lb weight, when in fact, it can easily be built 2-3lbs lbs lighter and still have a very strong parts spec.

MBA stated that the Evo also is not that great in the corners at single track speed because of the very dh 68.5dg HA?. I wasn't aware that a 68.5 HA was considered DH these days. What are they comparing it to? I find the Evo to be great in the corners. Maybe not as good as a steeper geo xc bike but better than most of the other 6" bikes I have tried.

A 14.25" bb is not one inch taller than the current trend is right now either. Once again, what are they comparing it to? A five inch bike perhaps. My old Six Pack with a 150mm fork had a very similar bb height to my Evo.

Oh well, they did seem to like the Evo.

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ronny
    It is hard to take MBA action seriously. They made a few good points, but I also found some of the review to be off kilter. MBA makes it sound like the Evo only comes in a 35lb weight, when in fact, it can easily be built 2-3lbs lbs lighter and still have a very strong parts spec.

MBA stated that the Evo also is not that great in the corners at single track speed because of the very dh 68.5dg HA?. I wasn't aware that a 68.5 HA was considered DH these days. What are they comparing it to? I find the Evo to be great in the corners. Maybe not as good as a steeper geo xc bike but better than most of the other 6" bikes I have tried.

A 14.25" bb is not one inch taller than the current trend is right now either. Once again, what are they comparing it to? A five inch bike perhaps. My old Six Pack with a 150mm fork had a very similar bb height to my Evo.

Oh well, they did seem to like the Evo.
    I noticed the same thing regarding their corner comments and found myself wondering what in the heck they were smoking. When I had the EVO for a week the one thing I really noticed beyond the extra travel was the way I could absolutely rail into corners like I'd never done before.

All in all I don't think it was that glowing of a review and probably didn't do a whole lot to help Chumba out which kinda sucks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The only time anybody actually takes MBA seriously is when their bike gets a glowing review. Except they're not really taking is seriously, they're taking it seriously enough to annoy their friends with bragging rights. Everyone blows them off when they aren't blown away by something. This is probably because almost every damn one of their reviews sounds exactly the same and tends to have a low frame-related content. At the end of any given review, I feel that I have learned nothing about the bike itself, and more about how much they liked the parts group they slapped onto it.

In the end, who gives a ****? If you already have the bike, you don't need a magazine to tell you you like it. If anybody's shopping for a bike and is dumb enough to stop considering something like the EVO because of MBA, they don't deserve to own one anyway.

CURB HUCK!!!!!!
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicider
    The only time anybody actually takes MBA seriously is when their bike gets a glowing review. Except they're not really taking is seriously, they're taking it seriously enough to annoy their friends with bragging rights. Everyone blows them off when they aren't blown away by something. This is probably because almost every damn one of their reviews sounds exactly the same and tends to have a low frame-related content. At the end of any given review, I feel that I have learned nothing about the bike itself, and more about how much they liked the parts group they slapped onto it.

In the end, who gives a ****? If you already have the bike, you don't need a magazine to tell you you like it. If anybody's shopping for a bike and is dumb enough to stop considering something like the EVO because of MBA, they don't deserve to own one anyway.
    to whom the second paragraph was directed at I don't know but I'll have to agree with you almost word for word in the first one
    kinda funny actually
    Kona Coiler

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Directed at nobody in particular/everyone who stresses over reviews they don't agree with.

CURB HUCK!!!!!!
    May 2006
    good good, I do find it rediculous how reviews are based strongly on component selection, which obviously completly change a frame. their review on the evo I was looking forward to seeing
    Kona Coiler

Members who have read this thread: 0