Marin XC QuadLink w/ 5" fork?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Yes, that's fonetic
    Reputation: whoda*huck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,892

    Marin XC QuadLink w/ 5" fork?

    Anyone try this? I know Marin only sells 'em with 100mm forks, but I was thinking of upgrading.....

  2. #2

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    380
    How about getting a Marin Attack trail,
    you get 4-6" travel front and rear (tara and quad link)
    Fox Talas RLC 90-130mm fork,
    this way you know the geometry will be correct for the extra travel,
    bit extreme I know but the best of both worlds,I'm assuming here its available over there.
    http://www.marin.co.uk/marin-2006/bi...No=3635&CMod=1

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,227
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck
    Anyone try this? I know Marin only sells 'em with 100mm forks, but I was thinking of upgrading.....
    hey there- as you know, i went the route of teh attack trail with the talas up front. officially 120ish miles in the last month - i promise a write-up very soon. worked on it the other night, but got called to bed...

  4. #4
    Yes, that's fonetic
    Reputation: whoda*huck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,892
    Quote Originally Posted by 856er
    How about getting a Marin Attack trail,
    you get 4-6" travel front and rear (tara and quad link)
    Fox Talas RLC 90-130mm fork,
    this way you know the geometry will be correct for the extra travel,
    bit extreme I know but the best of both worlds,I'm assuming here its available over there.
    http://www.marin.co.uk/marin-2006/bi...No=3635&CMod=1
    We didn't get the tweaks to the frame design that you guys over there in Whyte-land did . Seems Marin UK is an entity unto itself and they do as they please. Marin (here) won't incorporate the changes, i.e. the gussetting, and frame geometry, concentrating more on new designs than tweaking old ones, according to a rep I talked to when I called Marin US. I was on the brink of pulling the trigger on one until I found out I couldn't even get one (w/ the changes).

    Which brings us back to the original question. Guys are putting long travel forks on hard tails, why not an extra .75 inch on a 4 inch rear?

  5. #5

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    380

    New question here.

    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck
    We didn't get the tweaks to the frame design that you guys over there in Whyte-land did . Seems Marin UK is an entity unto itself and they do as they please. Marin (here) won't incorporate the changes, i.e. the gussetting, and frame geometry, concentrating more on new designs than tweaking old ones, according to a rep I talked to when I called Marin US. I was on the brink of pulling the trigger on one until I found out I couldn't even get one (w/ the changes).

    Which brings us back to the original question. Guys are putting long travel forks on hard tails, why not an extra .75 inch on a 4 inch rear?
    Hmmm bit confused now,what new designs,I thought (maybe mistakenly) that all the Marin designs (F/S ones) came from the UK (Jon Whyte),are there 2 design teams or 1 team and then the specs set differently for different regions,sorry to be abit off topic here,

    anyway I don't YET have a Marin/Whyte but as for tweaks a 5" fork could slacken the head angle to much and give lazy steering which you could offset by fitting a longer i2i shock thus raising the back to compensate,then the b/b may be to high so you'ld have to run extra sag,could get involved here,(hence why I mentioned the Attack trail) however as you can compensate for a 5" fork if need be then I'd say go for it the fork first and see what its like.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,227
    Quote Originally Posted by 856er
    Hmmm bit confused now,what new designs,I thought (maybe mistakenly) that all the Marin designs (F/S ones) came from the UK (Jon Whyte),are there 2 design teams or 1 team and then the specs set differently for different regions,sorry to be abit off topic here,

    anyway I don't YET have a Marin/Whyte but as for tweaks a 5" fork could slacken the head angle to much and give lazy steering which you could offset by fitting a longer i2i shock thus raising the back to compensate,then the b/b may be to high so you'ld have to run extra sag,could get involved here,(hence why I mentioned the Attack trail) however as you can compensate for a 5" fork if need be then I'd say go for it the fork first and see what its like.
    Hey - understandably confused. All Marin FS are Whyte designed. The UK and US 02(ithink)-05 were identical in frame geometry. The changes in spec geometry listed in the two sites are due to componentry effects- mainly the change in the fork slackening the angles.

    For 06, UK introduced the changes mentioned above. The US quad taras are the same as previous years. I have read a review that the UK main changes are the position of teh BB forward, making you feel more "in" the bike than on it. I opted for a tried and true design, esp. giventhat US closeouts are easily had for much less than importing a UK version.

  7. #7

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Hey - understandably confused. All Marin FS are Whyte designed. The UK and US 02(ithink)-05 were identical in frame geometry. The changes in spec geometry listed in the two sites are due to componentry effects- mainly the change in the fork slackening the angles.

    For 06, UK introduced the changes mentioned above. The US quad taras are the same as previous years. I have read a review that the UK main changes are the position of teh BB forward, making you feel more "in" the bike than on it. I opted for a tried and true design, esp. giventhat US closeouts are easily had for much less than importing a UK version.
    Thanks for that,I did read once that the 05 model (UK spec had the slacker US head angle) which wasn't liked so much over here and was changed back for 06,I think I've got the years correct so please correct me if I'm wrong on that,suppose its a good thing if they are specing geometry to suit different regions and not a one size fits all.
    On another note keep an eye out for the 07/08 Whyte,the 06 E-5 has got some stunning reviews so far with one mag giving it 10/10 but there is a VERY strong rumour that for 07or 08 it will be full CARBON,if the main frames as good as the carbon s/arm thats being raved about then I can't wait.
    Last edited by 856er; 02-04-2006 at 02:54 PM.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    523
    I posted this in another thread to show the differences in the TARA frames for 06.

    NEW UK version


    US Version


    The new UK spec frames look much improved and should be stronger overall. The lower BB height should make it more maneuverable too. It's a shame we won't get to ride one but considering how un-popular marin's are in the states, I don't really blame them.

  9. #9
    ~~~~~~~~
    Reputation: airwreck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,900
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck
    Anyone try this? I know Marin only sells 'em with 100mm forks, but I was thinking of upgrading.....
    I could loan you a 125 vanilla, don't know if you could handle the plushness though...

  10. #10

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by wrinklefree
    I posted this in another thread to show the differences in the TARA frames for 06.

    NEW UK version


    US Version


    The new UK spec frames look much improved and should be stronger overall. The lower BB height should make it more maneuverable too. It's a shame we won't get to ride one but considering how un-popular marin's are in the states, I don't really blame them.
    Why are they unpopular in the states ????
    I just don't get it,they are awesome bikes and good value.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    523
    I agree. Despite very good reviews in magazines, Marin doesn't spend a lot of money on advertising and marketing. Also I think some people find the monocoque frame aesthetically challenged. Oh well more for us!

    Quote Originally Posted by 856er
    Why are they unpopular in the states ????
    I just don't get it,they are awesome bikes and good value.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    327
    My East Peak (4'' in rear) came with a manitou black that is adjustable from 90 to 120mm.

    i ONLY ride it in the 120mm position and have no complaints on the way it rides and we ride some very tight singletrack.

    so far the bike has been very good to me,i really like the way it rides.

  13. #13
    Yes, that's fonetic
    Reputation: whoda*huck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,892
    Quote Originally Posted by ROG30Y
    My East Peak (4'' in rear) came with a manitou black that is adjustable from 90 to 120mm.

    i ONLY ride it in the 120mm position and have no complaints on the way it rides and we ride some very tight singletrack.

    so far the bike has been very good to me,i really like the way it rides.
    Well, there you go, I guess I could have. However, since I've broken my second swingarm Marin is giving me a pro-rate deal on a Tara frame! Think I'm going to try a new Revelation 426 on it. The swap is in the works so it'll be a couple weeks till it's done but I'm really stoked to be getting more squish.

  14. #14
    Yes, that's fonetic
    Reputation: whoda*huck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,892
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck
    Well, there you go, I guess I could have. However, since I've broken my second swingarm Marin is giving me a pro-rate deal on a Tara frame! Think I'm going to try a new Revelation 426 on it. The swap is in the works so it'll be a couple weeks till it's done but I'm really stoked to be getting more squish.
    On that note, you guys with the Quad XC frames keep an eye on the underside of the swingarm on the drive side next to the first weld up from the dropout. I had 2 go on me there....
    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,227
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck
    On that note, you guys with the Quad XC frames keep an eye on the underside of the swingarm on the drive side next to the first weld up from the dropout. I had 2 go on me there....
    Hey, how did y'all notice the cracks- feel? sound? searching visually? I have this obnoxious click under initial weight(supposedly the bb, per the lbs - but they are looking back into it today) and have not found any indication of cracks on my tara....had the bushings tightened, check shock mount bolts, etc.

  16. #16
    Yes, that's fonetic
    Reputation: whoda*huck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,892
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Hey, how did y'all notice the cracks- feel? sound? searching visually? I have this obnoxious click under initial weight(supposedly the bb, per the lbs - but they are looking back into it today) and have not found any indication of cracks on my tara....had the bushings tightened, check shock mount bolts, etc.
    First one split wide open, fortunately not on a fast downhill.... no telling how long it was cracked. This one has a verrry small crack I found upon regular inspection/cleanning in the same spot. Another photo....
    Attached Images Attached Images

  17. #17
    Yes, that's fonetic
    Reputation: whoda*huck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,892
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck
    First one split wide open, fortunately not on a fast downhill.... no telling how long it was cracked. This one has a verrry small crack I found upon regular inspection/cleanning in the same spot. Another photo....
    BTW, I'd still buy another Quad XC if I wanted a lightweight racetype bike, I just have been lusting after more travel. With their pro rate policy and 5 year frame warranty and lifetime warranty on pivot bearings.... Marin rocks.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,227
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck
    Well, there you go, I guess I could have. However, since I've broken my second swingarm Marin is giving me a pro-rate deal on a Tara frame! Think I'm going to try a new Revelation 426 on it. The swap is in the works so it'll be a couple weeks till it's done but I'm really stoked to be getting more squish.
    whoda -
    Well, sorry that my review wasn't done in time for you to build the anticipation - glad to see that you are getting the upgrade. you won't be dissapointed. I would suggest running sag at 20% of whatever setting you are using, otherwise climbing can feel very slow over rocks/roots. I think it loses that momentum-over-square-edges if you are sagging too far into the travel.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zaxxon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck
    Anyone try this? I know Marin only sells 'em with 100mm forks, but I was thinking of upgrading.....

    You can expect a half degree more slack headangle with every inch of travel added.
    -----------------------
    The world's only compatible bike builder
    wrenchscience

  20. #20
    Yes, that's fonetic
    Reputation: whoda*huck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,892
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    whoda -
    Well, sorry that my review wasn't done in time for you to build the anticipation - glad to see that you are getting the upgrade. you won't be dissapointed. I would suggest running sag at 20% of whatever setting you are using, otherwise climbing can feel very slow over rocks/roots. I think it loses that momentum-over-square-edges if you are sagging too far into the travel.
    Thanks, I'll post a review when it's together.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.