Marin Mount Vision Pro- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Marin Mount Vision Pro

Hi, I'm considering purchasing a 2004 Marin Mount Vision. Just looking for any feedback on the bike I can get-Thanks!

just along for the ride
    I've rode a 2002 trail pro for over 3000 miles, and its the precursor to the Mt. Vision but just single pivot. I'm a bit big 210#+ riding and have broken the rear triangle a couple times but Marin has great CS and replace things fast. The front triangles are close to the same and almost stiff enough to jump. Key is the rear and if you are lighter should be fine but I can't recommend it to a clyde. Usually you can get a great build so shop around! Have fun!

horizontally compliant
    mine just arrived last night (2004 mount vision, not the pro). unfortunately I won' t be able to ride it until tomorrow afternoon, but I'll letcha know how it feels.

Anybody have any suggestions for setting up the rear shock?

Jan 2004

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by ssc280
    Hi, I'm considering purchasing a 2004 Marin Mount Vision. Just looking for any feedback on the bike I can get-Thanks!
    Look for the December issue of Mountain Bike Action. They loved the bike.
    I personally own both a '04 Mount Vision and a '04 Mount Vision Pro.Never have ridden a better bike.

Lance

horizontally compliant

Good job! 2004 Marin Mount Vision First Impressions

I have taken the bike on 2 rides so far: ride #1 was "urban lite" (1-2 foot drops to flat, 2-3 foot fast rolling drops, hitting curbs
    head on, riding down staircases, etc.) Ride #2 was 10 miles of rough, mainly dirt & grass doubletrack with a few rock gardens thrown in.

The suspension works as advertised. It soaks up little and medium hits very well without robbing pedaling energy. It especially smoothed out "negative" bumps - i.e. small holes in the trail with semi-square edges. Those holes were my nemesis on my hardtail, and my lower back is very happy to be rid of them! The rebound adjustment feature came in handy too - the 2 different rides required different rebound settings. On the urban ride I set the rebound more slowly, so that the rebound from the bigger hits wouldn't strike back harshly. On the rough trail I set it up quicker so that it could keep up with all the little stutter bumps.

The suspension doesn't bob when I'm seated & spinning, and the rear doesn't bob much when standing & pedaling smoothly (the Fox Float RLC fork does though). The front and rear will bob if I feel the need to mash instead of spin. The lockouts are very easy to get to though, so that is not a problem.

I'll have to agree with other reviewers about how the bike handles bigger hits. The suspension ramps up very fast and it seems like I'm not getting all of the travel out of the shock. It's not a harsh ramp up though - I don't feel like I'm having to soak up a lot of the bump with my body - it simply scrubs off the last of the bump forces very quickly. I will try a more linear shock (or maybe an AVA sleeve?) in the future to see if I can get the last bit of travel out of the shock and make the bike feel more consistant through its travel.

The bike feels very light for such a beefy looking machine. My steel sprung hanging scale says 27 lbs, but I'm not sure how accurate the scale is.

My bike came with Avid Juicy 7 hydraulic disc brakes, not the spec'd Hayes HFX. I haven't really had the opportunity to thoroughly test them out because my favorite steep, technical trail is muddy right now. They have worked fine through what I have put them through so far, but V-brakes would have too. They were pretty darn easy to set up, though!

I swapped my Time ATAC's for the stock Wellgo pedals, so I have nothing to say about them...

The handlebars are WAY wide - 27 inches! I will be trimming them down so that I can thread the bike through the trees more easily. I
    have to admit that the wide bar makes it easy to lever the front end over for fast turns, but I don't like the way it feels the rest of the time.

Wheels & tires: wheels are light, & spin easily. The spokes look very thin - I can picture losing a few of them the first time a branch gets tangled in the wheel. The tires packed up with �adobe� (wet clay mixed with grass) very quickly, but every XC tire that I've ridden has done the same. Since they were so full of mud, I have no opinion of them yet.

Shifting: The XT drivetrain (old style XT trigger shifters) works. The rear seems to shift a little harshly right now, but I probably just need to tweak it a little. The Deore / Deore LX setup on my hardtail works just as well, and doesn't feel as "crunchy" when shifting.

A note about sizing - some of the reviews that I read said that the bike has a shorter than average top tube. Not so! My 15.5" frame has a 21.75" top tube. That's the actual size, though! The *effective* TT (measured level from center of seatpost to center of steerer tube) is 23" - the same as my 17" hardtail! I'm glad the shop talked me into the 15.5, instead of the 17.5.

Keep in mind that I've only put about 20 miles on this bike, but I'm very happy with it so far. With a little tweaking, I think it will make a great fast, technical XC bike. There is a ton of adjustability between the front & rear shocks, so I'm sure that I'll be tweaking it for quite a while to find the best settings for my riding.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the fork! I have a hard time believing that this is (mostly) an air fork. On the trail, it is plush & smooth through its travel like a coil fork, and it responds to chatter as well as big hits with aplomb. When I was testing it out by smacking into 3-5 inch curbs at, oh, around 10mph or so it simply soaked them up. When coming down my neighbors nearly vertical 3' retaining wall (way behind the saddle) the fork soaked up the impact without bottoming out, and without throwing me backwards on the rebound. I just hope that it (and the rear shock) don't leak when I take them out at 0 degrees F in a few weeks!
    Last edited by Simpleton; 12-03-2004 at 01:36 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 1