Marin Attack Trail vs Titus MotoLite- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Marin Attack Trail vs Titus MotoLite

I in the process of selling my SC Heckler. Im looking for more of a trailbike(lighter). Its gonna be for the East Coast, NJ area. I originally wanted a MotoLite the Marin Attack Trail has caught my eye. Has anyone tried both(has both?) to tell me the differences I'd get from each?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lawndart
    I in the process of selling my SC Heckler. Im looking for more of a trailbike(lighter). Its gonna be for the East Coast, NJ area. I originally wanted a MotoLite the Marin Attack Trail has caught my eye. Has anyone tried both(has both?) to tell me the differences I'd get from each?
    ah, another opportunity to post my new ride.
    Supple, quiet ride so far, getting the disks dialed in as well as the suspension. Look on ebay , as there seems to be little to no demand for these bikes(?!). I agree with about all of the reviews that I have read on here, and I will have to follow up in a month or two. Let me know if you want more pics, ive got some...
    Build as shown is about 30.5, with high end non weight weenie stuff for my 200+.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

nice bike

well i ordered a Wolf Ridge. should be here in a couple of days if not today.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lawndart
    well i ordered a Wolf Ridge. should be here in a couple of days if not today.
    I am sure that you won't regret it. I had looked to buy the Rock Springs, since all of them 2002-2006 have the same frame design - and this suspension is good. I am still dialing it in...
    Have fun!

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    I am sure that you won't regret it. I had looked to buy the Rock Springs, since all of them 2002-2006 have the same frame design - and this suspension is good. I am still dialing it in...
    Have fun!
    Wrong, they changed the design for '06 a bit, supposedly for the better. Still waiting for those ride reports.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck
    Wrong, they changed the design for '06 a bit, supposedly for the better. Still waiting for those ride reports.
    Although I appreciate your bluntness, the 2006 US is the same, the 2006 GB is different.
    I assumed all parties are in the US. Long live our Dictator, no, hold on...

Oh, and I will get you ride reports after a hundred or so miles (about 30 clocked on it last weekend before a chain break ripped the b-tension plate on the der.) Stupid chain. Maybe after this weekend...

Yes, that's fonetic
    Although I appreciate your bluntness, the 2006 US is the same, the 2006 GB is different.
    I assumed all parties are in the US. Long live our Dictator, no, hold on...

Oh, and I will get you ride reports after a hundred or so miles (about 30 clocked on it last weekend before a chain break ripped the b-tension plate on the der.) Stupid chain. Maybe after this weekend...
    Really???? Crap, that's the whole reason I was leaning heavily toward a frame upgrade from my XC Quad. It sounded like the geometry tweaks brought the frame more to my liking, i.e. lower standover,BB foreward and beefier gussetting.

Okay, just talked to a Marin rep and he said there's an aftermarket available from Whyte in the UK that lowers the BB and moves the head angle back. Alas, the complete bike isn't available here and there's no plans to make it so.

Sorry for the bluntness. Isn't it wierd that they can have two very different bikes sold under the same name?
    Last edited by whoda*huck; 01-13-2006 at 02:42 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck
    Really???? Crap, that's the whole reason I was leaning heavily toward a frame upgrade from my XC Quad. It sounded like the geometry tweaks brought the frame more to my liking, i.e. lower standover,BB foreward and beefier gussetting.

Okay, just talked to a Marin rep and he said there's an aftermarket available from Whyte in the UK that lowers the BB and moves the head angle back. Alas, the complete bike isn't available here and there's no plans to make it so.

Sorry for the bluntness. Isn't it wierd that they can have to very different bikes sold under the same name?
    LOL, no problemo on the bluntness, I just researched the sh!t out of the bike.
    I thought that it was very weird at first too, until I realized that they don't really market these bikes to the US...which is really weird, but kinda nice b/c you almost never see them out and about.
    That "Alpine Link" is supposed to change the geometry significanty, if you are going for more of a DH oriented geo, that is the way to go. Looks cool too, think it is in gold on the site. But I don't think that it quite matches up to the geo changes that they instituted for 06 in britain, esp. moving the bb forward (if I remember). They say it is more like sitting "in" the bike than "on" a bike. I thought about holding out, but saw no obvious flaws with the bike that has had such stellar reviews for suspension design for several years.
    For a bit prelim ride report, having tested in 5" only - it is faster than my GT idrive, and lighter by a couple of lbs. No problem getting it to wheelie, but just a bit of a tracking problem on the steep ups, which will change with some experience/tweaks. On my local trail, probl. only used about 4" of the travel, but that was taking it easy with the shock psi high for my weight.
    Take it easy, and hopefully you find one of these quads to work for you!
    Last edited by CharacterZero; 01-13-2006 at 01:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have only got a east peak which is a cheap model of the preset 4'' travel bike.

so far it has been a great feeling bike.climbs just as good as my NRS did but much more comfortable at speed.handling is a little slow but i like it that way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I wonder if the US is ever going to get the new TARA series. They look sweet, and the geometry has been completely rethought, and the frame is even beefier.

New UK-only version

US Version
    Last edited by wrinklefree; 01-13-2006 at 02:36 PM.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by wrinklefree
    I wonder if the US is ever going to get the new TARA series. They look sweet, and the geometry has been completely rethought, and the frame is even beefier.

New UK-only version

US Version
    After talking to a Marin rep this morning no, they won't be carrying that particular frame. It seems they are focusing more on new development than tweaking already existing frame designs. Look for more Quake type frames and even a quad downhill specific bikes in the near future. I think I've decided to ride my XC Quad 'till it dies and see what they have then. I've kinda been hoping I could break the frame and upgrade to a Tara with a warranty replacement but these muthas are strong (although I have broken a swingarm).

Jul 2005
    I'm in the UK and its seems Marin are being abit short sighted not bring in the 06 spec models,
    can't believe you're also unable to get Whyte bikes (without importing them yourselves)either.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Anyone read the interestng article on Jon Whyte in the Nov issue of What Mountain Bike magazine in the UK? He talked briefly about his relationship with Marin bikes. Basically anything he creates, Marin gets first dibs (if they want it). Jon is a non-stop think tank for new ideas. I think eventually his ideas like the rear drop out, or his new Whyte E5 design will trickle its way to the Marin lineup.

I like how the new links in the E5 aren't exposed to mud and dirt anymore. All of the bearings are now inside the front triangle.

Jul 2005
    Those QR rear dropouts on the E-5 have been used on the Whyte 46 since 04,
    latest Idea released 06 is the new type of QR on the seat clamp (clever) and the already mentioned E-5 linkage setup,also the custom alloy used on the E-5.
    I think Whyte keeps the latest ideas for his own brand,not a bad thing as once there fully proven they trickle down to the more mass produced Marin brand,Whyte is just a small concern compared to Marin.
    Gonna test the E-5 and the 46 soon, hopefully end of next month,can't wait.

Slow Goat....

Where can I get geometry?

ah, another opportunity to post my new ride.
    Supple, quiet ride so far, getting the disks dialed in as well as the suspension. Look on ebay , as there seems to be little to no demand for these bikes(?!). I agree with about all of the reviews that I have read on here, and I will have to follow up in a month or two. Let me know if you want more pics, ive got some...
    Build as shown is about 30.5, with high end non weight weenie stuff for my 200+.

I know Marin has a history for high standover.

Thanks,
    Enjoy the lactic acid.....it's good for you

Members who have read this thread: 0