Marin Attack Trail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Marin Attack Trail

A friend of mine is looking at purchasing a Marin Attack Trail (Quad Tara) as her trail bike. We tried to find reviews via Search and the Product Reviews section but not much was available. Does anyone out there ride one and can give an honest review of the bike. It will be used for Gooseberry-Moab-Fruita type riding and local epics (high desert).
    Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    May 2004

a mi me gusta.

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    A friend of mine is looking at purchasing a Marin Attack Trail (Quad Tara) as her trail bike. We tried to find reviews via Search and the Product Reviews section but not much was available. Does anyone out there ride one and can give an honest review of the bike. It will be used for Gooseberry-Moab-Fruita type riding and local epics (high desert).
    Thanks in advance!
    Search the forums here for "quad tara"- I have posted several times about mine. i know whodaphuck also just built one up - looks extralight.
    I got mine for a great deal on ebay, and I really like it. it rides really smoothly, but even at 225 i cannot seem to blow thru allthe travel in 5" mode. PM me if you have any questions!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Wolf Ridge

I just replaced my SC Heckler with a Wolf Ridge which is the model below the Attack Trail. I got to take it on its maiden voyage this past weekend and I must say Im in love with this bike. It peddles much more efficiant than my old Heckler and i feel that its much more plush and active. PLus you can change it from 4-6" of travel. I keep it in the 5" (middle) I out of shape and a pushing 225 lbs. The thing hauls through the single track we have here in Jersey soaks up the occasional 1-2' waterbar. My friend has a 3yo Wolf Ridge and he clears drops waist to shoulder high. Mines got a Float RL and a RP3. The frames are the same its just the components that change though the TARA lineup. I believe the AT has a Tara fork.

Dec 2005
    I have two Marin Wolf Ridges (mine and my wifes) They are great bikes and you get a lot for your money. However I would say that they are a "nervous" bike to ride near the edge. As quick as a hard tail up hills but on the down hills you find their limits.

I have fitted a shorter stem to both to quicken the handling up and always ride it in 6" travel mode.

In the Uk these always get good reviews.

I have heard that the Giant Reign is better than the Marin. What mountain bike gave the Reign "best long travel full suss under 2500" with the Marin and the specialized Enduro expert as the runners up.

The price of the full bike Reign is higher than the Marin but long term may be a better bike.

Although they have changed the hubs on the 2006 marin, the 2005 WTB hubs were terrible and failed very quickly.

It really comes down to the type of rider you are but either bike is going to help you progress technicaly. In the long term you may find that you reach the limit of the marin.

My wife finds the standover height on the marins quite high but seems to cope ok with it. Last year I decided to save a bit of money between the Wolf Ridge and the Attack trail but have ended up replacing the cheaper components anyway. Its now a similar spec to the Attack trail.

Check out my action pictures here:

http://www.guidedlines.com/pictures/...Gal=April_2006

roar
    I just tested out the Marin Attack Trail and was sold until I rode the Yeti 575. More $, but well, well worth it. The cool thing about this bike is that it is a 6" travel bike and seems to handle big bumps and drops well. I think the quality of the travel isnt quite as good as the travel I have in the Yeti. I also looked at the Giant Reign. It did actually beat out the Marin in the mtbike shootout, but both are really great bikes. I am very happy with my choice, but like I said, props to the Marin for the cool, unique design, decent ride, and the best value for the $.
    Whenever I haul a$$ I have to take two trips.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider - TDP
    I have two Marin Wolf Ridges (mine and my wifes) They are great bikes and you get a lot for your money. However I would say that they are a "nervous" bike to ride near the edge. As quick as a hard tail up hills but on the down hills you find their limits.

I have fitted a shorter stem to both to quicken the handling up and always ride it in 6" travel mode.

In the Uk these always get good reviews.

I have heard that the Giant Reign is better than the Marin. What mountain bike gave the Reign "best long travel full suss under 2500" with the Marin and the specialized Enduro expert as the runners up.

The price of the full bike Reign is higher than the Marin but long term may be a better bike.

Although they have changed the hubs on the 2006 marin, the 2005 WTB hubs were terrible and failed very quickly.

It really comes down to the type of rider you are but either bike is going to help you progress technicaly. In the long term you may find that you reach the limit of the marin.

My wife finds the standover height on the marins quite high but seems to cope ok with it. Last year I decided to save a bit of money between the Wolf Ridge and the Attack trail but have ended up replacing the cheaper components anyway. Its now a similar spec to the Attack trail.

Check out my action pictures here:

http://www.guidedlines.com/pictures/...Gal=April_2006
    These UK bike magazines are the same people who have a hard-on for Whyte's 46 which shares the same suspension design as the Marin's rating it a perfect 10/10.

Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wrinklefree
    These UK bike magazines are the same people who have a hard-on for Whyte's 46 which shares the same suspension design as the Marin's rating it a perfect 10/10.
    Yeah and I've got one,sorry couldn't resist that one ,
    only read about 6 bikes getting 10/10

Yeti 575
    Whyte46
    Giant Reign (custom built)
    Scott Genius MC10
    Orange Patriot 66
    Whyte E-5 (Production delayed I believe)

but having said that I've never read a bad test on any Marin from any of there range in any mag or online test,
    resent test on the rift zone was nothing but positive,

it's....
    I only got the Wolf Ridge frame and built it up with Pikes and short stem, so never experienced "nervousness" reported by Ghostrider.
    I considered 575 frame, but Marin was over $800 cheaper ($549 vs $1395) so no brainer there.
    If you build it up yourself, you can build it up as light LT trailbike or as light freerider.
    Mine is somewhere between, at 33 lbs.

Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Thanks in advance!
    Here's an 04 Attack Trail test (UK Spec)
    http://www.bikemagic.com/news/articl...06562520221222
    info on 06 model/models Including Attack Trail (UK Spec)
    http://www.bikemagic.com/news/articl...06562520221222
    06 Rock springs test (UK Spec)
    http://www.bikemagic.com/news/articl...2520221222&v=1
    The above tests and info from a site in association with Marin,seem pretty unbiased though,

05 mount vision test (UK Spec)
    http://www.whatmtb.com/biketestdetails.asp?id=594
    What mtb mag test.

Rock springs test,think 05 model (UK Spec)
    http://www.mbuk.com/biketestdetails.asp?id=252
    MBUK Mag test

Dec 2005
    My new wheels really improved the wolf ridge, I was completely back in love with it.
    A couple of really decent rides, running slalom courses and drop offs.
    However its now back at the manufactures as the swingarm cracked through the box section.
    I am waiting to see whether they will replace the whole frame or just a new swingarm.

Members who have read this thread: 0