Made in Taiwan- Mtbr.com

Thread: Made in Taiwan

May 2007

... and if we just ... Made in Taiwan

I am considering the XCL as my next bike, but I heard that Chumba is going to start having bikes made in China. Is this true? If so, which models? I will need to hurry up and get one before this happens!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    setting up a new username for that post? squeek!

May 2007
    You got me! I'm completely new to posting, although I visit MTBR on occasion.
    Too busy to make a habit out of it. Honestly, this feels weird.
    Back to the original post....
    I love the bikes, reviews all sound great!
    I guess I could just call Chumba for the answer.

Trophy Husband
    Yes, most XCL's will be outsourced to Taiwan. My outsourced XCL looks to be very well made and the welds look great.

You can still get an XCL made in house at Chumba for a little extra coin (not sure how much)...you can also get custom geometry (I may have made that up...but I think it's true).

cheers
    Extreme stationary biker.

May 2007
    Thats what I thought, but I was confused when i read the Mountain Bike Action article, which said that they we're made in California. But if you say that the made in China version is just as good, then I will still have a look

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by Simple
    Thats what I thought, but I was confused when i read the Mountain Bike Action article, which said that they we're made in California. But if you say that the made in China version is just as good, then I will still have a look
    MBA tested last years XCL, which has only 4.5 inches of travel. The 2007 now has an even 5 inches. Also, the 2007 saves about a pound over the older version.

You should still look at the XCL, it's a great frame. Complete builds available starting at 2800 bucks (nice components too). Check their new website!

shred my gnar
    wow... i thought everything was built in cali... bummer. that may have just nudged chumba of my potential purchase list. damn... double bummer.

MTBGremmie
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    MBA tested last years XCL, which has only 4.5 inches of travel. The 2007 now has an even 5 inches. Also, the 2007 saves about a pound over the older version.......

.......... and about $300

May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jSatch
    .......... and about $300

So what is the frame cost for the China version vs the USA version?

mtbr member
    We still offer US built frames. But without getting into the politics of it, I can guarantee that our overseas frames in every respect, tolerances, welds, workmanship are just as good as any high end US manufacturer, maybe even better at a much lower cost to the consumer. Being a US manufacturer that built all of our frames in-house from scratch for the last ten years, we are keenly aware of the manufacturing standards and resulting level of product that is expected in the US. That being said, if we were bringing anything less than the best in workmanship to the consumer, that would not be acceptable to us. We are committed to bringing the highest quality, best-performing bicycles to market, and all of our manufacturing whether done here or overseas reflects that. Just throw a leg over one and see for yourself.

A.
    Last edited by CHUMBAevo; 05-18-2007 at 02:35 PM.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    We still offer US built frames. But without getting into the politics of it, I can guarantee that our overseas frames in every respect, tolerances, welds, workmanship are just as good as any high end US manufacturer, maybe even better at a much lower cost to the consumer. Just throw a leg over one and see for yourself.

A.

Can you give me retail pricing on both options?

My only concern with bike manufactured in China, is I've read that they use too much recycled aluminum. (20-40%) They say they can't get two tubes to match when doing destructive tests. This is a little scary when applied to a "All Mountain" bike....

Do you have a dealer in the BC area where I can throw a leg over?
    Can i buy direct?

mtbr member

My only concern with bike manufactured in China, is I've read that they use too much recycled aluminum. (20-40%) They say they can't get two tubes to match when doing destructive tests. This is a little scary when applied to a "All Mountain" bike....

Can i buy direct?
    Retail on US: $1699; Taiwan: $1399

We have video of destructive testing done on the XCL, and the people who tested the bike said its one of the strongest frames they ever tested.

No dealers in the BC area, and if you need to speak with a dealer give me a call and I can direct you to one.

mtbr member

A picture is worth a thousand words..

Can i buy direct?
    : ) We're definitely stoked on all the products we offer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

May 2007
    Wow, what a great looking machine!
    No doubt they do great work in China, but its whats under those great looks that kinda scares me.
    Could you send me a link to your "Destructive Test" video?? I've never seen it in action, only read about it on other manufacturers sites.
    Which method did you use?
    I look forward to it!!

mtbr member

Wow, what a great looking machine!
    No doubt they do great work in China, but its whats under those great looks that kinda scares me.
    Could you send me a link to your "Destructive Test" video?? I've never seen it in action, only read about it on other manufacturers sites.
    Which method did you use?
    I look forward to it!!
    Contact me directly at 1-800-706-0760 ask for Alan, and I'll answer all of your questions.

Best,

A.

shred my gnar
    if i can get a hold of one here in flagstaff i will still try it out... im just partial to bikes made in n.america.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by happy_ending
    if i can get a hold of one here in flagstaff i will still try it out... im just partial to bikes made in n.america.
    Awesome...try it out, I promise you won't be disappointed...this review sums it up pretty well.. http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Allmtn_F...t_126464.shtml

May 2007
    I need to stop beating myself up over this....

What's $300 more for a bike that will last a lifetime?

I will test ride the China version if I have to, but when it comes time to buy, I will be getting a handmade in America version!!

mtbr member

I need to stop beating myself up over this....

What's $300 more for a bike that will last a lifetime?

I will test ride the China version if I have to, but when it comes time to buy, I will be getting a handmade in America version!!
    Well, I can't agree with you because like I said, the Taiwanese XCL had one of the highest ratings ever for stiffness, strength and fatigue testing, but its your decision, and thats why we offer both. I got both in stock right now, so call up your local dealer! And please call me with any additional questions.

May 2007
    Well, I can't agree with you because like I said, the Taiwanese XCL had one of the highest ratings ever for stiffness, strength and fatigue testing, but its your decision, and thats why we offer both. I got both in stock right now, so call up your local dealer! And please call me with any additional questions.

Just Curious, but the destructive testing other manufacturers talk about was just on tubing, not on frames. Maybe we are talking about two different things

mtbr member

Just Curious, but the destructive testing other manufacturers talk about was just on tubing, not on frames. Maybe we are talking about two different things
    As much as I enjoy this internet chat with you I would politely request you to call me for further details. Thanks!

mtbr member
    They've been manufacturing our (outsourced American production) products in Taiwan for over 30 years now. They have a very capable and well trained work force, as well as top of the line industrial infrastructure. "Made in Taiwan" does not equal "Made in China". I'd take Taiwan any day.

That said, the fact that my Evo was hand made in Cali. was a major factor in buying the frame. My loyalties go: California>America>rest of the world, and I'll always try to support the guy in Cali. bringing home the paycheck.

I think it's really cool that Chumba is offering both options though. $300 is a lot for someone building on a budget, and this this will put Chumba's in the hands of more people.

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by hardway
    and I'll always try to support the guy in Cali. bringing home the paycheck
    In this case, whether you buy the overseas or local model, you're supporting the guy in Cali either way.

It's still an American, and even better, local Orange county business, regardless of where the frame's built. And I agree that the quality will be excellent from Taiwan. That said, I have two VPP SCB frames that are made in the US but I'd buy one of these overseas XCLs (or a Heckler) in a heartbeat if I had the money and the need.

It's still an American company and buying their bikes means the guys at Chumba get to make a living (hopefully) while making awesome bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

XCL great quality

I had the chance to ride the outsourced XCL yesterday and I DECLARE it is ONE GREAT BIKE! I also had the opportunity to visit the CHUMBA factory in Anaheim and GOT TO SCRUTINIZE and COMPARE the US frame with the outsourced frame and there was ABSOLUTELY no difference. In fact, the consistency in the quality of the outcourced frame was outstanding. Ted informed me that he had spent almost a month in Taiwan personally working on the frames in a modern and fully equipped manufacturing facility, he left completely satisfied that the engineering processes were at par and even better than US standards. Being able to compare both frames side by side I definitely believe this to be true. US brands like Santa Cruz and Titus are also manufacturing out of Taiwan with positive results. Its great to have a CHUMBA frame with the heart and soul of California manufactured to exacting standards but available at a great affordable price!

Nov 2005

What?

Quote Originally Posted by tonycan
    I had the chance to ride the outsourced XCL yesterday and I DECLARE it is ONE GREAT BIKE! I also had the opportunity to visit the CHUMBA factory in Anaheim and GOT TO SCRUTINIZE and COMPARE the US frame with the outsourced frame and there was ABSOLUTELY no difference. In fact, the consistency in the quality of the outcourced frame was outstanding. Ted informed me that he had spent almost a month in Taiwan personally working on the frames in a modern and fully equipped manufacturing facility, he left completely satisfied that the engineering processes were at par and even better than US standards. Being able to compare both frames side by side I definitely believe this to be true. US brands like Santa Cruz and Titus are also manufacturing out of Taiwan with positive results. Its great to have a CHUMBA frame with the heart and soul of California manufactured to exacting standards but available at a great affordable price!
    What tests did you do on the frames? Heart and Soul of California? What the hell does that mean and how am I supposed to use that in comparing other manufacturers.
    Buy a Turner, it's a little more expensive but it puts Americans to work. Turner has the Heart and Soul of California plus it's MADE IN AMERICA.
    Check out this thread http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=294928

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Tsquare
    What tests did you do on the frames? Heart and Soul of California? What the hell does that mean and how am I supposed to use that in comparing other manufacturers.
    Buy a Turner, it's a little more expensive but it puts Americans to work. Turner has the Heart and Soul of California plus it's MADE IN AMERICA.
    Check out this thread http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=294928
    Again, I don't want to get into the politics of this. But, don't discount the fact that everyone who works at CHUMBA lives less than ten minutes from Anaheim, we've built our bikes from scratch and continue to powdercoat, heat treat, and assemble within Southern California for the last ten years.

And your arugment about putting more Americans at work might be true for some industries and companies, but certainly not ours, since we've partially outsourced some production, we've hired two new employees (something we weren't able to do with just in-house fabrication), so two more Americans at work. : ) And a few more employees to come the way things are going!

Besides, why pay $2,000 plus for these various frames, when you can get a bike that can perform just as well, if not better, with a proven racing legacy to stand behind it and top notch craftsmanship, for much less? Believe me, we were very picky with our standards when we outsourced some of our bikes and we were in Taiwan during the whole production overseeing the line.

In our scenario, it really is a win-win situation for everyone, although I can't speak for all companies who choose to outsource as a lot of it depends on its company structure, its volume, etc. For CHUMBA, since we were primarily fabricating racing bikes on a custom built level for professionals, our volume was not large enough to affect jobs with the production decisions we made. The people who were answering the sales calls were the same ones welding the bikes. Now if we had a full manufacturing line, like some other US producers, then the decision may have cost US jobs.
    Last edited by CHUMBAevo; 05-19-2007 at 01:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Good points

Hey Tsquare, thank you for the link. Lots of good arguments threshed out on that thread. I guess what I meant about "heart and soul" is that the design and development was done right here in California soil. The fact that the manufacturing process was outsourced to a facility that met CHUMBA standards and the savings fron this process is then passed on to us bikers is a plus for me. Others may have different priorities when it comes to their purchasing decisions other than owning a solid efficient frame at a good price. I absolutely respect their choice.

Nov 2005

Taiwan Is China

HEY CHUMBAevo why are you saying Taiwanese intead of China?
    Is it because Made In China means something not of great quality.
    {Since China claims Taiwan as its provoince, the international community does not want to contradict China on this matter. Thus, Taiwan is not a member of the United Nations. Plus, only 25 countries (as of early 2007) recognize Taiwan as an independent country and they recognize it as the "only" China. Due to this political pressure from China, Taiwan does not maintain an embassy in the United States and the United States (among most other countries) has not recognized Taiwan since January 1, 1979}
    Thats not being honest or you are try to mute the fact that it is MADE IN CHINA!!!!

mtbr member

{Since China claims Taiwan as its provoince, the international community does not want to contradict China on this matter. Thus, Taiwan is not a member of the United Nations. Plus, only 25 countries (as of early 2007) recognize Taiwan as an independent country and they recognize it as the "only" China. Due to this political pressure from China, Taiwan does not maintain an embassy in the United States and the United States (among most other countries) has not recognized Taiwan since January 1, 1979}
    Thats not being honest or you are try to mute the fact that it is MADE IN CHINA!!!!
    I think we are digressing here with this political talk. Anyhow, that's the great thing about America, you have consumer choice, we are offering a top notch bike that few other bikes can compete with, but if you decide to go with another brand for political reasons, that is totally cool with us. We love to see people get on CHUMBAs, but we realize we can't satisfy everyone.

Look, its Saturday, I don't know about you, but I'm going to go ride my bike, not debate stuff online. I respect your opinions and beliefs, hopefully it will be reciprocated. And if you ever change your mind, and want to ride a CHUMBA the door will always be open. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I think we are digressing here with this political talk. Anyhow, that's the great thing about America, you have consumer choice, we are offering a top notch bike that few other bikes can compete with, but if you decide to go with another brand for political reasons, that is totally cool with us. We love to see people get on CHUMBAs, but we realize we can't satisfy everyone.

Look, its Saturday, I don't know about you, but I'm going to go ride my bike, not debate stuff online. I respect your opinions and beliefs, hopefully it will be reciprocated. And if you ever change your mind, and want to ride a CHUMBA the door will always be open. Thanks.
    Unfortunately, I wont be riding my bike today because its not here yet. But its mostly built up and will be on its way here from Colorado early next week. It will be a Taiwan made XCL. I've looked at many pictures of the frames. I have no doubt that this will be a top quality frame on par with a US made quality wise. From what I understand, theyre made at a small boutique factory in Taiwan, not one of kind of factories like you would see from a Giant or Specialized. I've looked at those frames and you can tell the difference in quality
    between those and the American made. The Chumba frames are not one of those types.
    Also, being American made doesnt guarantee quality. Trek, Cannondale aer American
    made. I dont consider Trek frames to be high quality. An additional point to consider is
    that 6061-T6 is aircraft grade aluminum, the strongest type of aluminum tubing, so as far as fatigue strength, I wouldn't worry about that.
    My last bike, a blurXC, is American made, a very high quality frame.
    I did not hesitate at all as far as the quality when considering whether to purchase one of these. Many high end bikes, for example the Ibis Mojo, are made in Taiwan.
    If money were no object, I suppose I would opt for a made an in house version made on
    US soil just to have something American made. I uderstand peoples reasons for buying American made, though, and I was of that mindset when I bought the blur.
    All things being equal, I would still buy American over Taiwan, but my primary consideration is quality and finding a bike that suits my needs.

Nov 2005

US or China built?????

[QUOTE=CHUMBAevo]Retail on US: $1699; Taiwan: $1399

How can you tell them apart??????

shred my gnar
    lighten up, francis.

it is what it is... made in taiwan. just like rm are made in british columbia and ventanas are made in california.

thanks for the geopolitical enlightenment.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Taiwan is not China. When China invades, it will become part of China. Hell, China considers much of eastern India to be part of China.

Nov 2005

Sorry anand but your WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by anand
    Taiwan is not China. When China invades, it will become part of China. Hell, China considers much of eastern India to be part of China.
    From Wikepedia

Taiwan (Traditional Chinese: ?? or ??; Simplified Chinese: ??; Hanyu Pinyin: Tiw?n; Wade-Giles: T'ai2-wan1; Taiwanese: Ti-on) is an island in East Asia. "Taiwan" is also commonly used to refer to the territories administered by the Republic of China (ROC), which governs the island of Taiwan, Lanyu (Orchid Island) and Green Island in the Pacific off the Taiwan coast, the Pescadores in the Taiwan Strait, and Kinmen and the Matsu Islands off the coast of mainland Fujian.
    So if China governs Taiwan why would they have to invade it??

Trophy Husband
    From Wikepedia

Possibly because the people of Taiwan are giving the Chinese government a collective middle finger salute.

nerfherder

An International Gesture...

A
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Possibly because the people of Taiwan are giving the Chinese government a collective middle finger salute.
    I like to think of it as the Flying Finger of Friendship.

May 2007

From quality to politics??

I have to say its fun to watch threads veer off course, you never know where they might end up!!
    I will take a chance here and if I can make the point of my original post;

American made bikes, quality materials, so-so on fit and finish. (Personal opinion on the finish part)

China & Taiwanese bikes, great workmanship, sub-standard materials. (Well documented fact)

BUT, since CHUMBA offers both, it's a consumer choice. A win-win situation, right?

As long as people know which one they are buying, and not thinking that because Mountain Bike Action says they are made in Southern California, they are not ALL made in Southern California.

Thought for the day........
    If the difference is only $300.00 retail, then that would only be a $75.00 savings to Chumba. Why would you go through all that hassle of overseas manufacturing for $75.00???

Trophy Husband
    Thought for the day........
    If the difference is only $300.00 retail, then that would only be a $75.00 savings to Chumba. Why would you go through all that hassle of overseas manufacturing for $75.00???
    My guess is that they have maxed out production in the Anahiem facility. Outsourcing also might allow them to bring an excellent product to more people at a lower cost. These are just my opinions...

nerfherder

China & Taiwanese bikes, great workmanship, sub-standard materials. (Well documented fact)
    Hey Simple, I hope you don't take this as a personal challenge but I'm curious if you can produce documentation on that "well documented fact". I'm just curious because I haven't seen anything like that. Thanks.

I would imagine the overseas bike manufacturers would only use materials that the American bike company approved for use on their bikes. Further I can't imagine Ted going to Taiwan, spending a month there, and letting them get away with using something that was below his standards.

mtbr member

You will find great disparity in manufacturing quality between manufacturers in Taiwan. With the limited production runs CHUMBA does, we had no choice but to go to the extreme boutique manufacturers of Taiwan -- basically, the CHUMBAs of Taiwan, lol. When we heard that the owner was a serious rider, we began to feel more comfortable. Believe me, it was really hard to find this guy, there is some really high demand for his work and we had to wait for over a year before this guy would even sit down with us!!
    When I walked into the factory, it literally reminded me of our factory in Anaheim! Small and humble, but filled with people who are serious and passionate about bikes - producing amazing product.

That being said, the boutique manufacturer we use makes some very impressive stuff, in fact, some of the most innovative and technologically advanced frames that are on the trails in the US right now. Once Ted saw the factory and met with the guys, he said "I have no doubt in my mind the XCLs will turn out great."

May 2007

Thanks for the info....

Well,
    Just make sure you know where they buy their tubing from. Chinese manufacturers have the ability to import virgin aluminum from US and European manufacturers, but I haven't heard any bike companies demand this yet. Cannondale originally took this stand, but later backed off due to cost concerns.
    Is a Chinese made Chumba as consistently strong as an American made Chumba? We will have to agree to disagree on this point.

As far as my concern that potential customers like myself could be misled into thinking that all Chumba's are made in Anaheim, it seems like this has been addressed already in other MTBR forums. (07' 5inch travel XCL!)
    (I was personally thrown off by the Mountain Bike Action article)

For myself, I will be comparing American made frames (Including Chumba's US models)
    Now its time to test ride and buy.

mtbr member

Well,
    Just make sure you know where they buy their tubing from. Chinese manufacturers have the ability to import virgin aluminum from US and European manufacturers, but I haven't heard any bike companies demand this yet. Cannondale originally took this stand, but later backed off due to cost concerns.
    Is a Chinese made Chumba as consistently strong as an American made Chumba? We will have to agree to disagree on this point.

As far as my concern that potential customers like myself could be misled into thinking that all Chumba's are made in Anaheim, it seems like this has been addressed already in other MTBR forums. (07' 5inch travel XCL!)
    (I was personally thrown off by the Mountain Bike Action article)

For myself, I will be comparing American made frames (Including Chumba's US models)
    Now its time to test ride and buy.
    Cool, got a bunch of US made frames in stock too so give your local dealer a holler!

-A.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    From Wikepedia

Taiwan (Traditional Chinese: ?? or ??; Simplified Chinese: ??; Hanyu Pinyin: Tiw?n; Wade-Giles: T'ai2-wan1; Taiwanese: Ti-on) is an island in East Asia. "Taiwan" is also commonly used to refer to the territories administered by the Republic of China (ROC), which governs the island of Taiwan, Lanyu (Orchid Island) and Green Island in the Pacific off the Taiwan coast, the Pescadores in the Taiwan Strait, and Kinmen and the Matsu Islands off the coast of mainland Fujian.
    Buddy, go to Taiwan, hell go to China. Mainland China does not control Taiwan. And China will invade Taiwan - they publicly stated that three years ago.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006

Don't feed the trolling idiot

Quote Originally Posted by anand
    Buddy, go to Taiwan, hell go to China. Mainland China does not control Taiwan. And China will invade Taiwan - they publicly stated that three years ago.
    Anand- I completely agree with you, but tsquare is clearly trolling and just trying to stir up pointless political argument. Any rational points you try to raise with him will be completely ignored or deliberately misconstrued. The best way forward is to ignore him and let the thread get back to a Chumba discussion

Nov 2005

Misconstrued or ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by womble
    Anand- I completely agree with you, but tsquare is clearly trolling and just trying to stir up pointless political argument. Any rational points you try to raise with him will be completely ignored or deliberately misconstrued. The best way forward is to ignore him and let the thread get back to a Chumba discussion
    Womble. what have I misconstrued or ignored? I just want people to know that the XCL or parts ot it are made in China. This is something we should all pay attention to with so many of our jobs moving overseas, and with quality issues not withstanding.
    And in case you did not know or understand, this thread is about overseas manufacturing of Chumba's and I was trying to point out that these are indeed made in CHINA! Thanks for your quality insights into this discussion?

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by womble
    Agreed, don't feed the troll.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    Agreed, don't feed the troll.
    Ditto.

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    Don't feed the troll, buy a bike and feed the Americans at CHUMBA!

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by chucko58
    Don't feed the troll, buy a bike and feed the Americans at CHUMBA!
    Bahaha. I went by the Chumba office/mad scientist lab yesterday. It's freakin' awesome. I was drooling over the new XTR Gray XCL frames. They are so hawt. Anyways, the point is... these guys look like they don't eat or sleep. All they do is drink energy drinks and make rad bikes. Good stuff.

Elitest thrill junkie

Besides, why pay $2,000 plus for these various frames, when you can get a bike that can perform just as well, if not better, with a proven racing legacy to stand behind it and top notch craftsmanship, for much less? .
    Most turners are less than $2000, some significantly less.

Your bike ain't that cheap.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Members who have read this thread: 0