Lynksey family back in titanium- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    85

    Good job! Lynksey family back in titanium

    Hi all,

    It's a one year old info but I just discovered that few weeks ago... some frames look so beautiful... it seems they didn't loose their know how :

    lynskey performance

    I'd like to get some feedback... Anybody around ridding one of their 26" mountain bikes?

    Thanks.

    Edit: Oops... sorry for the mistake with the k and s in the title... that's Lynskey of course.
    Last edited by Scalfred; 11-28-2007 at 06:54 AM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    85
    Not many bikers riding one of these bikes and reading the mtbr forum.

    Still interested in some feedback...

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    388
    haven't seen one in person but stop by their web site quite often. i would order a house blend 220 frame in an instant if they would offer a few hundred off the price...it is the holiday season afterall

  4. #4
    Ricky Bobby
    Reputation: mville_mtnbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    148

    eGay...I mean eBay....

    Lynskey on eBay <-- I did a quick search and found some deals on their frames.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    423
    I picked this up from them at the end of September, it is a custom Level 2 with slider dropouts. Frame was 3.54 lbs, a little heavier than I had expected, but it was built for stiffness as it's primary use is as a singlespeed. The geometry we ended up with is spot on, it is a medium frame with the TT stretched about 5/8". It absolutely rails turns.

    Originally I had planned on a Titus FCR, but after 5 months of waiting and then being told at least another 6-8 weeks I'd had enough. I had already missed most of the riding season and wasn't prepared to wait any longer. I called Lynskey and they quoted me four weeks from drawing sign off, they delivered in 3. I was very impressed with the whole experience from start to finish. It ended up costing a little more than the Titus would have, but I prefer the sliders to the Titus interchangeable dropouts. It was also built less than 5 miles from my house, it's feels nice to support the local economy and to bump into some of the guys who work there out on my local trails.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    85
    Beautiful frame...

    Did you go through the custom fit program directly at the factory or with the help from a dealer?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    423
    Thanks for the compliments, it is a sweet frame, I look forward to many happy years of riding it.

    The local dealer in town is also the Titus dealer (they were partly to blame for the delay) so I requested that I either work with the factory directly or use an out of town shop. I went directly through the factory, it seemed crazy to deal with someone 100 miles away when I could pedal my bike through the neighborhood to get to the factory.
    Last edited by Furrner; 12-08-2007 at 03:11 PM.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    388
    posting a picture like that should be illegal. it's beautiful and i want one too!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sp3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    558
    Absolutely beautiful!! well done, enjoy it!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: signalMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    268
    <edit>
    Last edited by signalMTB; 12-12-2007 at 02:23 PM.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    174
    now that is one gorgeous frame!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: signalMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by Furrner
    Thanks for the compliments, it is a sweet frame, I look forward to many happy years of riding it.

    The local dealer in town is also the Titus dealer (they were partly to blame for the delay) so I requested that I either work with the factory directly or use an out of town shop. I went directly through the factory, it seemed crazy to deal with someone 100 miles away when I could pedal my bike through the neighborhood to get to the factory.

    to another Chattanoogian on the forum! Would love to see that one in person one day...very nice bike!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    53
    I picked up a 26" frame a few months ago, but its so custom I hesitate commenting about it. I wont even comment on the price I paid for it

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by iridefar
    I picked up a 26" frame a few months ago, but its so custom I hesitate commenting about it. I wont even comment on the price I paid for it
    I am planning to buy an mtb 26" custom frame too from them next year...

    So don't hesitate... give your comments about the frame and the kind of custom stuff your ordered... on my side there's no problem to talk about pricing, but if you don't feel confortable with that you can write a private message... anyway the prices are on their website.

    And some pictures would cool

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by iridefar
    I picked up a 26" frame a few months ago, but its so custom I hesitate commenting about it. I wont even comment on the price I paid for it
    you know what? you could be dead tomorrow, any of us could - if you got it, spend it and enjoy it while you can.

    i've wanted a Ti hardtail for as long as i can remenber and i recently promised myself i'm gonna get one before i'm too old to ride it

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    53
    I'll collect a few pictures of the frame and bike setup in the next day or two and post. I'll wait and mention specifics about my experience with Lynskey and the frame characteristics when I post the pics.

    You also might be interested in this small photo journal I BUGGED Mark Lynskey to keep which captured the key moments throughout the build of my frame. So, if there is interest I'll post that as well. It shows the different fixtures they needed to create specifically for my frame. In these pictures you also see a glimpse of the facilities they have and their very talented staff hard at work.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    85

    ... and if we just ...

    Quote Originally Posted by iridefar
    I'll collect a few pictures of the frame and bike setup in the next day or two and post. I'll wait and mention specifics about my experience with Lynskey and the frame characteristics when I post the pics.

    You also might be interested in this small photo journal I BUGGED Mark Lynskey to keep which captured the key moments throughout the build of my frame. So, if there is interest I'll post that as well. It shows the different fixtures they needed to create specifically for my frame. In these pictures you also see a glimpse of the facilities they have and their very talented staff hard at work.
    Everything!

    We want everything. Don't be shy

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    53

    ... and if we just ...

    Here's my 26" level 4 Ti. Its Lynskey manufactured but I designed it myself with minor input from Grail frame designer (hence the Grail decal) Pat Baron from Chainwheel.com. Since almost every bike I have ridden has been lacking in T.T. length, due to my riding style, I have a 24.3" T.T. With this length comes a higher stand over height so I decided to put a subtle bend in the T.T to decrease the stand over height. First impressions upon riding it was that I could feel some front end flex. It bothered me the first few times I was out on the trail, but now that I have ridden it for a few months I can say that I dont even notice it anymore (I have had my Foxx fork rebuilt since then so I cant say for sure the frame was the culpret). Since I have kindly declined all requests for a quick spin from fellow riders, I guess I will never know for sure

    Attachment 318678

    Attachment 318679

    Attachment 318680

    Attachment 318681

    Attachment 318682

    I'm real happy with what I did with the rear triangle. the problem with designing a frame is, you never really can tell how one little decision will translate on the trail - strike that - At my level you couldn't... But I think I got this one right. It climbs like no other bike I have had. Corners with zero laternal flex in the rear. Perfect (to me). Here are a few more pics of my build.

    Attachment 318684

    Attachment 318685

    Attachment 318686

    Attachment 318687

    Attachment 318688

    If you like what you see let me know and I'll post some fabrication pics that Lynskey sent me thru its life cycle. hope you enjoy.

    ... I've never tried to attach anything a pic here before so I'll repost if the pics didnt come over.
    Last edited by iridefar; 04-26-2008 at 03:34 PM.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    53
    I'm an idiot ... here's the first few that didnt attach...

    Attachment 318695

    Attachment 318696

    Attachment 318697

    Attachment 318698

    Attachment 318699
    Last edited by iridefar; 04-26-2008 at 03:34 PM.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    423
    That is a beautiful frame. I did consider the dropped top tube, but the extra cost would have been the straw that broke the camel's back. The great thing is I can have it added at a later date if I want to.

    Enjoy it.

  21. #21
    Ti is addictive
    Reputation: TiEndo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Absolutely beautiful bikes..............those dropouts on the green custom are a site to behold.

    5 months delay for custom from Titus???? That sounds mondo weirdo......I placed my order Oct.3., went over numbers following week(luckily didn't need custom tubing), and then they started my frame Mid Oct. and shipped to dealer in 7 weeks.

    Does Lynskey have a website???? I wanna go look at some more if they have a gallery.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Absolutely beautiful bikes..............those dropouts on the green custom are a site to behold.

    5 months delay for custom from Titus???? That sounds mondo weirdo......I placed my order Oct.3., went over numbers following week(luckily didn't need custom tubing), and then they started my frame Mid Oct. and shipped to dealer in 7 weeks.

    Does Lynskey have a website???? I wanna go look at some more if they have a gallery.
    http://lynskeyperformance.com/

    There are several bikes in their gallery that put these two in the dark shade.

    Yeah, I have to admit I was surprised as well. I originally talked to Jim Glose when my Riddler broke, he said they would give me a partial credit towards a new frame, but I would have to go through my LBS. No problem, I took it in and discussed with them the geometry I was looking for, basically a Med Riddler with the TT stretched about 5/8", and left it with them(sometime Late April/Early May). After about a month I hadn't heard a thing so I went to LBS. Strangely enough they had Fax from Titus in that day (Fax header showed date approx. 2 weeks before!!), but the dimensions were based on a L Riddler. I marked it up and sent and faxed a copy to both Titus and LBS.

    Another 4 weeks or so went by and I called in at LBS again because nothing appeared to be happening. Once again they just happened to have a Fax arrive that day (dates were again from a few days before on the fax). This time the geometry was correct, but there were a couple of things I wanted to add that I wasn't sure they could do so I called Mattias (Jim had left by then) and discussed them. He said they could do them and sent me a fax direct with the changes. I signed off on it and emailed and faxed it back. Mattias emailed back and said all looked good.

    Another 6 weeks go by and it is getting close to Labor day so I call Mattias. Apparently they have no record of receiving the signed off drawings and have therefore not started on it. I am just a little pissed at this point in time. I ask them how long it would be if I get the drawings back to them again, 6-8 weeks was the reply. Not acceptable I tell them and tell them to politely shove it.

    I currently have 6 Titus bikes sitting in my basement, so I was expecting to be treated a little better. It will be a while before I need another bike, but one thing is for sure, it WILL NOT be a Titus.

    It is a long story. Both Titus and my LBS played their part in the delay. I do wonder if Titus were reneging on the Riddler replacement credit that Jim originally promised, but didn't want to tell me. The bike was 4 years old, but I had heard of several people getting this deal so I asked and Jim told me it was OK. If they had been straight up with me and told me to take a running jump I would have said OK and bought the Titus without the part credit, money is not a problem. The Lynskey actually ended up a little more expensive than a full price Titus would have been.
    Last edited by Furrner; 12-16-2007 at 07:56 PM.

  23. #23
    Ti is addictive
    Reputation: TiEndo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Furrner
    http://lynskeyperformance.com/

    There are several bikes in their gallery that put these two in the dark shade.

    Yeah, I have to admit I was surprised as well. I originally talked to Jim Glose when my Riddler broke, he said they would give me a partial credit towards a new frame, but I would have to go through my LBS. No problem, I took it in and discussed with them the geometry I was looking for, basically a Med Riddler with the TT stretched about 5/8", and left it with them(sometime Late April/Early May). After about a month I hadn't heard a thing so I went to LBS. Strangely enough they had Fax from Titus in that day (Fax header showed date approx. 2 weeks before!!), but the dimensions were based on a L Riddler. I marked it up and sent and faxed a copy to both Titus and LBS.

    Another 4 weeks or so went by and I called in at LBS again because nothing appeared to be happening. Once again they just happened to have a Fax arrive that day (dates were again from a few days before on the fax). This time the geometry was correct, but there were a couple of things I wanted to add that I wasn't sure they could do so I called Mattias (Jim had left by then) and discussed them. He said they could do them and sent me a fax direct with the changes. I signed off on it and emailed and faxed it back. Mattias emailed back and said all looked good.

    Another 6 weeks go by and it is getting close to Labor day so I call Mattias. Apparently they have no record of receiving the signed off drawings and have therefore not started on it. I am just a little pissed at this point in time. I ask them how long it would be if I get the drawings back to them again, 6-8 weeks was the reply. Not acceptable I tell them and tell them to politely shove it.

    I currently have 6 Titus bikes sitting in my basement, so I was expecting to be treated a little better. It will be a while before I need another bike, but one thing is for sure, it WILL NOT be a Titus.

    It is a long story. Both Titus and my LBS played there part in the delay. I do wonder if Titus were reneging on the Riddler replacement credit that Jim originally promised, but didn't want to tell me. The bike was 4 years old, but I had heard of several people getting this deal so I asked and Jim told me it was OK. If they had been straight up with me and told me to take a running jump I would have said OK and bought the Titus without the part credit, money is not a problem. The Lynskey actually ended up a little more expensive than a full price Titus would have been.
    All that matters is that you got the bike you wanted and it rides and fits like a dream. Not gonna defend Titus (even tho I got 6 of their Titanium/exogrid bikes), but I have heard of a couple of incidences of buggered up custom orders all around last year or so. Maybe it was because The Ti division was Chris's baby while he was there. Him leaving left a lot of learning for anyone taking over. Jim leaving wasn't too good either (one of the last long standing employees). My experience with them this last 2 months says they got their act back together in the custom and Ti departments.

    But Dang those be some beautiful bikes that Lynskey is cranking out. I was a huge Litespeed fan in the mid 90's and was very dissappointed after ABG took over at their product and quality control.

    I know I'll cave in and want a 29'er one of these days and I now have a harder decision as there are so many awesome Ti fabricators out there and Lynskey has got to be one of the best ones I've now seen.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    85
    I have been dreaming of their M420 limited full polished since I saw the picture on the website.

    To Iridefar >>> what a special and beautiful frame!!!

    Do know the weight of the frame only?

    Do you still have (if you wanted it) the comfortable ride of Ti with the rear triangle design?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Scalfred
    I have been dreaming of their M420 limited full polished since I saw the picture on the website.

    To Iridefar >>> what a special and beautiful frame!!!

    Do know the weight of the frame only?

    Do you still have (if you wanted it) the comfortable ride of Ti with the rear triangle design?
    Most people would have weighed their frame, but I didnt. It was a perfect frame in my eyes, weight was not important to me. My build weighs slightly more than 23lbs (just weighed it).

    I do have the comfortable ride of Ti when judging the bike as a whole, but I can clearly tell the stiffness of the rear - as compared to other Ti bikes I've been on (both Merlin).

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    53
    Frame weight for the Grail is 3.0lbs (courtesy of Chainwheel.com).

  27. #27
    Interlectchewal
    Reputation: tvrbob86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,163
    Here is link to a .pdf of Singletrack's (U.K. magazine) interview with Mark Lynskey.

  28. #28
    Interlectchewal
    Reputation: tvrbob86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,163
    Quote Originally Posted by tvrbob86
    Here is link to a .pdf of Singletrack's (U.K. magazine) interview with Mark Lynskey.
    Here's the full interview. [Regular website, not .pdf]

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    29

    On-one Lynskey frames available

    Saw this yesterday. Not sure about U.S. availability.

    http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/?p=706

  30. #30

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by idaho29er
    Saw this yesterday. Not sure about U.S. availability.

    http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/?p=706
    first post here guys but we do have these in stock now here in the US as Velomix is the US Distributor for Planet X and On One

    let me know if you have any questions

    [email protected]
    www.velomix.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.