Loose pivot bolt on XCL- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Loose pivot bolt on XCL

Here's my XCL after it's second ride. The first ride was interupted by the drive side pivot bolt coming loose and catching the bolts on the spider and as i'd left my tools at home i had to push the bike back, luckily i was riding a short loop at the time.
    After the bolt came loose the first time, i put some loctite(242 blue) on it and it seemed to do the job, until today when it came loose again 10 miles into a 30 mile loop, luckily i''d got my tool's with me and managed to get the cranks off to tighten the bolt back up, but it meant another ride cut short as i wasn't prepared to keep stopping to remove cranks & tighten the bolt. People on here have said they use the red loctite, is that the 262? The spec sheet states that to remove the bolt after using this, requires heat (250 degrees) and hand tools. not sure i'd want to be doing that when i had to replace the bearings.
    Other than the minor(ish) niggle mentioned above, i'm loving the bike (just spent 5 years riding a heckler) and if i could do more than 2 rides without the bolt loosening, i would be even happier.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by raddaz; 07-01-2007 at 06:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Nice bike, I like the blue. Haven't seen the blue color yet.

I had an issue with the same bolt coming loose on my Evo, and so did someone else here recently. The guys at Chumba should look into this.
    I used the red lock-tite and have had zero problems since (about a year now). I have removed bolts that are secured with the red stuff without using heat, but it can be a PITA for sure. Having the bolt come loose on the trail is way more of a PITA though.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    This has been a bit of a problem on all newer Chumbas. The latest frames have the "fix" with an extended pivot bolt and a lock nut on the back side. See if Chumba can hook you up.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    nice to know you can remove the bolts without resorting to heat after using the loctite red. Will be applying the red stuff tomorrow, as i need to get this sorted so i can stop worrying about it and enjoy the ride. The blue is apparently last years model.

Big Test Icycles
    A little red goes a very LONG way. If you get to liberal with it you will need heat. I found out the hard way. If you do need heat one of those wind proof/blow tourch cig lighters works great to direct heat to the bolt head only. Good luck

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Sorry for the off topic question! What size frame is that and what size frame was your Heckler? I'm on a medium Heckler but I would like to replace it with the XCL.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I was riding a large Heckler with a layback seat post. The XCL is a medium, it was the only frame left in the UK and luckily the measurements were very similar to the heckler. I'm about 6' 1" and could probably have gone for medium or large, but i do like a smallish cockpit and the medium XCL seems to fit me better than the heckler did.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks! I am riding a medium Heckler and the XCL's specs match the small. I will demo a small and make my decision.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    This has been a bit of a problem on all newer Chumbas. The latest frames have the "fix" with an extended pivot bolt and a lock nut on the back side. See if Chumba can hook you up.

What we have found is that sometimes the bolts will come with a light oil on the threads, so the red loctite is prevented from doing its job. What we would recommend is to clean the bolt with alcohol before applying the red loctite. If you still encounter trouble, give us a call and we'll help you get sorted.

-A.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    Hey Alan, could you or Jason give us a torque spec for these bolts? Thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 0