Looking For Mountain Cycles riders- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Looking For Mountain Cycles riders

Hi all. I am looking for anyone riding Mountan Cycles frames or bikes. What's your feedback on the bikes? I'm intereted in the Zen and the Fury mostly, but like to hear about the other models in the line. Post pics of your sleds if you've gottem'.

mtbr member

Mt. Cycles are one of the best

I've been riding a San Andreas for 9 years now and think it is an incredible bike. It climbs, descends and corners great. It's taken years of abuse and keeps coming back for more.

It has recently been upgraded with a MX Comp fork, disc brakes and 9 speed transmission.

If you haven't seen a picture of the new San Andreas, check it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dec 2004

I'm riding a Zen

Quote Originally Posted by unoveloce
    Hi all. I am looking for anyone riding Mountan Cycles frames or bikes. What's your feedback on the bikes? I'm intereted in the Zen and the Fury mostly, but like to hear about the other models in the line. Post pics of your sleds if you've gottem'.
    I'll add my two cents here. I'm riding a large 2004 anodized Zen. Well, riding is a bit misleading. I built up a frame and have about ten road miles in on it thus far but I have a sense for how it handles. First of all, MC built this bike burly! The monocoque gussets really do make for a stiff frame. Add to that the reactive s-links and a mega-efficient 5th Element air shock and you have a bike that loves to sprint! I experimented on some hilly streets near my house to prove this. In the big ring, out-of-saddle sprints are bob-free, really. Middle ring standing sprints pretty sweet too. Middle ring seated climbs just a wee bit of bob.
    While on that same ride I found some boulders linings a parking lot that had maybe 10"-12" drops so I tested the cush here; worked very well. The shock goes through most of its travel but never bottoms out, which translates to an efficient design.
    While the bike's straight-line stability rocks, it's also very articulate at slow speeds, you can really noodle it around (I tried this out by riding around my car which was parked inside a garage - it's a pile but my roommates car is sweet so I had to be careful which the bike let me do). Line changes are a breeze.
    It's seems very versatile too, nice and efficient yet tough with good BB clearance. With my fork in 4" travel mode I have about 12.9" between the center of my bb spindle and the ground.
    The anodized finish is beautiful, shot-peened too for extra strength. The bike went together very easily, everything was faced and chased; the cable guides allow for slick routing and you can run full cable housings too. I really dig the embossed head tube badge.
    I had a chance to visit the Mountain Cycle factory in Portland last month and they are actually making their own frames there. A bunch of Rumbles were being welded during my visit. Paint and anodizing is the only thing not done in-house.
    OK, so the reason my Zen hasn't seen dirt yet is that the stark reality of being a college student became all-to-clear to me when I paid tuition a few weeks ago, and as much as I hate to, I am selling the frame. If you're interested, let me know, the Thomson post comes with.
    Hope these answer your questions about the Zen at least. I know that the Fury got a good review in MBA a few months ago but I personally don't have stick time on one.
    Cheers,
    Jim

enjoying the kool-aid
    Quote Originally Posted by shmrcksean
    I've been riding a San Andreas for 9 years now and think it is an incredible bike. It climbs, descends and corners great. It's taken years of abuse and keeps coming back for more.

It has recently been upgraded with a MX Comp fork, disc brakes and 9 speed transmission.

If you haven't seen a picture of the new San Andreas, check it out.

WOW THAT SEAT IS HIGH! Well its not that high but compared to where the handlebars are it looks really high! What is the sag when sitting on that bike? I'm sure that lowers the height difference a bit...whew.

Jan 2005

mt cycles

Quote Originally Posted by unoveloce

I ride a Zen...have been on it for about a year... It is holding up well! It has been one of the sweetest bikes I have owned...It is super comfortable, solid...allowing me to cruise over large objects (rocks, roots, logs) with ease. Rides well all around. Works well in the Montana wilderness. I dealt with Chad at Red Barn Bicycles...he set me up with a nice build...great service! Anyway...good luck on your search!

High Speed Botanist

Mountain Cycle ROCKS!!

I've been stoked on my San Andreas for years and would love to get a Zen. I plan on it in the next couple months. Enjoy the pics, its a killer ride!!!

High Speed Botanist

Also...

check out the video on the website to see a little log ride action!!!

trail "cleaner"
    Jan 2004

owned a San Andreas since '01

without question, one of the most flexible bikes made. i've got two different set-ups with mine. A short travel cross country using 120mm fork and 4" travel Risse air shock which weighs in at 28 pounds and then for technical riding, a "pushed" vanillaR 6" travel shock with a 5" Z1sl fork. I've been pounding the technical rocky trails here in AZ for 4 years on this bike without a problem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Here's my ZEN. I've done 30' road gaps and 10' drops on it, but I wouldn't recommend it.
    Very quick bike.
    Tim

High Speed Botanist

ummm yea.....

this is an XC bike man, although a solid one. I'll post some photos of my endurance race Zen. Way cool you could hit that big of air and the bike held solid. I've hammered on mine for months now and it's all solid so far.

Quote Originally Posted by TWISTED
    Here's my ZEN. I've done 30' road gaps and 10' drops on it, but I wouldn't recommend it.
    Very quick bike.
    Tim

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lswing
    this is an XC bike man, although a solid one. I'll post some photos of my endurance race Zen. Way cool you could hit that big of air and the bike held solid. I've hammered on mine for months now and it's all solid so far.
    Yeah I know, but somebody has to push it to it's limits to see what it'll hold up to. It's a much better XC bike, especially built up light, like I bet your's is.
    Tim
    (MC test rider)

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

What size Zen??

I'm considering getting a MC Zen, but can't decide if I would ride a large or Medium. I'm 5"11 w/ a 32" pants inseam. For those of you that have them, how tall are you and what size do you ride?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004