Looking to buy a new coil- Mtbr.com

Aug 2008

Looking to buy a new coil

Alright, so now that my F5 is coming along.. I figure I need to order a new coil for the shock because I'm a little large. The problem is, I'm so new to downhill and stuff, I don't know what I'm looking for. I'm about 200# and 6 feet even, and I was looking to get about a 550# coil. Would that be too heavy, or would I be alright? I am pretty aggressive in the way I ride if that makes any difference at all. Also, when I look for the new coil, do I need the eye to eye size of the shock, or do I just use the size that's on the current shock (3.25)? Any help would be awesome. Thanks

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    any stroke larger than 3.0 should work fine... as for spring rate, i'm not sure though i think i remember marksee running a 450 and he was around that weight as well...

Aug 2008
    Thank you I'm hoping my local store can get it for me.. that way I don't have to pay to ship it overseas.. Though, the last thing I had them order (boxxer brake mount) they got the wrong one.. so hopefully they get it right.

nerfherder
    Here's a online calculator that gives you a good starting spring weight:

http://www.tftunedshox.com/info/spring_calculator.aspx

mtbr member
    Hows it going, the spring calculator and the F5 don't mix you will end up with a spring that is wayyyy to stiff. The F5 has a very progressive suspension which allows for great small bump absorption (lighter weight spring) and big hit compliance!

***Spring Calc calls for a 460 lb.

I am 200lbs. and my set up is as follows...

Shock = Fox DHX 5.0

Spring = FOX 400 lb.

Rebound = 6 turns in (clockwise) from all the way out

Pro Pedal = 1 click in (clockwise) from all the way off

Boost Valve = All the way open last line on canister (counter clockwise)

Boost chamber air = 130 psi

Pre-load = about 1.25 turns once spring touches

Sag = 1" of total shock travel (which is 3") eye to eye should be about 8.5" when on the bike. And is 9.5 when off the bike.

This gives me a great RACE setup, for big hit set up turn boost valve knob to second line (which is the stock setting and go around 140 psi in the chamber)

P.s. When you order your spring just tell them the eye to eye of the shock 9.5", the stroke 3" , type of shock and weight spring you want, they will get you the correct spring.

Hope this helps.

Aug 2008
    Thanks marksee. That helps a ton. I don't really want a setup that is too stiff.. although I do want it a bit stiff for some big hit type stuff. Not much of that in Korea so I'll probably go with a similar setup to what you have for now. Thanks again

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerodark
    Thanks marksee. That helps a ton. I don't really want a setup that is too stiff.. although I do want it a bit stiff for some big hit type stuff. Not much of that in Korea so I'll probably go with a similar setup to what you have for now. Thanks again

Yea you should really like the set up or at least it will get you ball park and once you set up the rear set up the fork to feel balanced with the rear same basic rebound speed (around 6 clicks clockwise) sag (30% I think it's like 2" or somthin whatever 30% of 8" is) and keep compression pretty fast (not much braking/ slowing on the compression stroke).

mtbr member
    I've been thinking about buying a coil shock for my XCL. I've read that you can get a longer stroke to give 5.6" of travel. Any suggestions here on which one to get, and where to get it? Thanks!

mtbr member
    yeah, the F5 is different from the calculator, mine came with a 300lb and that was soft (not as much as I thought it would be) so I went to a 400lb, I am about 210 in full gear and it is where I like it. Like Mark said, turn off the pro-pedal but then go one click in, rebound I have about the same but that is a little bit preference/riding style and type of track, but I do not change it too much. For air pressure I run it about 120. I have never touched the boost valve so I am assuming mine is at the factory setting.

My previous bike was a 9.5 x 3 and I ran a 450, the bike before that was a 500. The calculator gives you a starting point.

Members who have read this thread: 0