Litespeed Pinhoti Boost- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Litespeed Pinhoti Boost

Had my local LBS, METALMTN cycling in Ventura CA, build a new hardtail for me.

Frame- Large LS Pinhoti Boost
    Fork- Pike 120
    Headset- CC 40
    Stem- Ritchey WCS Trail
    Bars- Ritchey WCS Trail
    Grips- ODI Rogue
    Groupset- XX1 Eagle
    Rims- LB AM928
    Hubs- Onyx center lock
    Tires- Schwalbe HD 2.35 / Racing Ralph 2.25
    Brakes- Guide Ultimate 180/160
    Bottom Bracket- WheelsMFG screw together PF30
    Seatpost- Reverb with 1x remote
    Saddle- Selle Italia Flite Flow
    Pedals- Xpedo M-Force 8CR

Bike is a rocket. I feel like I can descend my regular rocky trails just as fast as I could with my FS bike, obviously not quite as smoothly. However, where I ride you gotta earn it all. Lots of climbing here in SoCal, seems like I can't ride anywhere without climbing 1k'-5k'.

I'm swapping the saddle for a carbon version and the bike has some older pedals on it while my Xpedo's get delivered. Still dialing in the Pike, I've only ridden it twice now and I'm coming from Fox suspension but so far no complaints.

I wanted to build a bike that would hold up to my Clyde ass grinding up hills and always wanted a Litespeed frame. Something about bare titanium just screams timeless to me. Jack at Litespeed gave me a good deal on the frame so I pulled the trigger. Wanted to post a couple pics as I couldn't find much info on the web about this bike before I purchased it. I'll weigh it later this week but I'm guessing it's 24.X lbs. No featherweight but it's pretty tough!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Got a chance to weigh it today as my Xpedo pedals came in from backorder, 25.8lbs.
    No doubt the dropper, 120mm Pike, and wheel/hub choice arenít the lightest but they should last with me beating on it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Beautiful bike and a great build! Canít believe no replies before me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hey Farfromovin, sweet bike!! I hope it rides as nice as it looks!
    I just pulled the trigger on a new Pinhoti Boost too, so in "4 weeks" or so I'll be applying for membership to the club
    So cyked!

Any thoughts on yours, 6 months in?
    Seemed like the setup was pretty dialed.
    Any mods since the original build?

So that must be the dropper cable routed thru the headtube, yes?
    Any sign of water/dirt getting in through there?

Can't wait to get off my way over-biked "big bike" (FSR Stumpjumper) and be gettin' back to my HT roots.
    Oh, and it's my platform for getting into bikepacking.

I went with a Fox 34 Fit4 fork and the GX Eagle 1x12 groupset, Ibis 738 wheels clad in 2.5" Maxxis Aggressors tires, and stoppage provided by Guide R set up 180f/160r.
    I couldn't help myself and went and added a dropper- Fox Transfer with remote, but know I will be glad I did.
    Still room for future upgrades (fancy rims/hubs, brakes possibly) but pretty close to my ideal-bike-I've-never-ridden!

Cheers!
    This is either a good thing, or a very bad thing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CyNil_Rider View Post
    Hey Farfromovin, sweet bike!! I hope it rides as nice as it looks!
    I just pulled the trigger on a new Pinhoti Boost too, so in "4 weeks" or so I'll be applying for membership to the club
    So cyked!

Any thoughts on yours, 6 months in?
    Seemed like the setup was pretty dialed.
    Any mods since the original build?

So that must be the dropper cable routed thru the headtube, yes?
    Any sign of water/dirt getting in through there?

Can't wait to get off my way over-biked "big bike" (FSR Stumpjumper) and be gettin' back to my HT roots.
    Oh, and it's my platform for getting into bikepacking.

I went with a Fox 34 Fit4 fork and the GX Eagle 1x12 groupset, Ibis 738 wheels clad in 2.5" Maxxis Aggressors tires, and stoppage provided by Guide R set up 180f/160r.
    I couldn't help myself and went and added a dropper- Fox Transfer with remote, but know I will be glad I did.
    Still room for future upgrades (fancy rims/hubs, brakes possibly) but pretty close to my ideal-bike-I've-never-ridden!

Cheers!
    Yeah, Iíve changed it a bit. By far the biggest change was I swapped out the Onyx hubs for DT240s hubs. Someone just bought my cranks so I have XX1 DUB cranks on now. Running Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35/Ikon 2.2 tires, ESI foam grips, S-Works Phenom saddle. Just, as in today, put on Speedplay Syzr SS pedals. Thatíll take take some getting used to but Iím super stoked about those!

For the dropper, yeah it runs out of the head tube. Not intended for a cable housing, itís for Di2 routing but it works with the hydraulic reverb!

The bike was at 25 lbs even and I think I dropped about 3/4 lb. thinking about a lighter SID fork too.

A lot of folks here in SoCal run the ďbig bikesĒ like you mentioned. I donít know why besides comfort. My HT is just as fast downhill as my Fuel EX was and itís faster up. My overall impression of this frame now is itís a good compromise. Itís not a lightweight carbon racer and itís not a long low slack 29íer either.

Ideally with a different fork, and if I could change to a KEV CI dropper, Iíd like to sit around 23 lbs even. Thatíd be pretty good for a metal bike with a dropper built to take a beating.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Just bumping this up to see how people have been liking the Pinhoti... considering one for an SS build.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I am pretty happy with the Pinhoti overall.
    (As a frame of reference, I was very happy with the fit and geo of my 2010 Rockhopper).
    Overall for a hardtail, I would say it is reasonably lively, but not particularly flickable.
    The rear through axle is a big plus in tracking and makes for good stability in hard cornering.
    Though similar in HA, it has a longer chainstays and wheelbase than the rockhopper, and feels it. It takes a fairly heavy input and I find I must 'drive' through the turns. I still tend to over-steer with too much weight on the bars and have the front just dig in, where the 'hopper would just whip around/through... I'm learning to adjust my body position further back to compensate.
    The Pinhoti, with 2.5" tires on my 27.5 alloy rims makes for a solid-feeling, if not light bike.
    I can get small air, at speed, and it feels composed and predictable through the landing.
    I will likely go to 2.4" tires as I find the 2.5" a bit bouncy<->mushy for me (I'm ~175lbs, kitted up) and the addn'l traction isn't necessary and doesn't justify the added weight.
    Unrelated to Pinhotis in particular, but the dropper is a complete game-changer. Duh.
    It's no carbon whip, and there are plenty of steel/alloy options for waaay less $$$, so it really depends on what you value. I'm assuming I can hand mine down to the grandkids!

Oh yeah, I'm starting to dig the plain-jane finish, and I really love that is it is not secretly rusting away somewhere!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Litespeed Pinhoti Boost-img_1930.jpg  

This is either a good thing, or a very bad thing.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Been lusting for Litespeed for a long time. Very robust build OP. Here is my 22-pound Titanium Singlespeed:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius