Limited Edition White XCL- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Limited Edition White XCL

We wanted to offer some differing looks for our white XCLs - and we worked with the graphic designer who worked on Duncan Riffle and Brad Benedict's world cup bikes - and we came up with these. I will be building this bike up - so build suggestions are welcome too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CHUMBAevo; 07-01-2009 at 10:38 AM.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thats sick. You think you might be able to sell the stickers for the rear triangle?

Proud bike-o-holic
    Being able to sell those stickers would be great!.

mtbr member
    Really nice

I'm living the dream!
    +3 for making the stickers available.

banned
    Makes the frame look almost decent...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eyescream
    Makes the frame look almost decent...
    .. I guess that's your way of reluctantly saying you find the bike's looks pleasing - I will take it as a compliment. Although I might suspect you are someone who might gravitate more towards our VF2 frame.

Anyhow, I should do some explaining behind our choice of aesthetics for the XCL and the choice for graphics as well - not only for you - but for everyone else.

As most of our riders know - the XCL is a trail bike that can take a lot more abuse than most bikes in its class - and I've personally seen this bike jumped and hucked like a full-on freeride bike. Of course, I'm not saying that this is the bike's intended usage - nor am I saying people should do this - that's what the EVO and F5 are for - what I am ultimately saying is that this is a burly, strong, and durable bike - more so that what is currently offered on the market in this travel range.

So given the character of the XCL - we wanted to employ graphics that were subtle - not so flashy as it seems like everything on the market these days is either a super bright color - or something of that nature. We were trying to offer the customer something different - while still retaining our high-performance boutique feel - we didn't want to just be loud and flashy - we wanted to be sophisticated, nuanced - yet have meticulous attention to detail.

I am currently putting a ton of effort into selecting the right parts for this build and making it look different than what everyone else is doing. This is going to be a very special bike for us - a limited edition of less than 40 frames that are all going to be signed by the former 2x NORBA DH Champion and our current World Cup rider Duncan Riffle.

-A.

Proud bike-o-holic
    Sounds good, but are you going to sell those stickers?

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    I like the stickers too. They'd go really nicely on my XTR grey XCL.
    Work is the curse of the biking classes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo

As most of our riders know - the XCL is a trail bike that can take a lot more abuse than most bikes in its class - and I've personally seen this bike jumped and hucked like a full-on freeride bike. Of course, I'm not saying that this is the bike's intended usage - nor am I saying people should do this - that's what the EVO and F5 are for - what I am ultimately saying is that this is a burly, strong, and durable bike - more so that what is currently offered on the market in this travel range.
    -A.
    Question please!! So, are you saying that I shouldn't be using my XCL for shuttling and lift accessed DH? I'm not road gapping it or anything, but I certainly do like a good jump trail. The EVO is too big for me and the F5 is too heavy for my wimpy girl-strength, the XCL is just right...but am I going to break it? The only damage I've seen so far is where the Ano finish has worn off from hanging the bike over the tailgate of my truck. Even the Chumba wheels are still true after 2 seasons of abuse!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by jaclynj
    Question please!! So, are you saying that I shouldn't be using my XCL for shuttling and lift accessed DH? I'm not road gapping it or anything, but I certainly do like a good jump trail. The EVO is too big for me and the F5 is too heavy for my wimpy girl-strength, the XCL is just right...but am I going to break it? The only damage I've seen so far is where the Ano finish has worn off from hanging the bike over the tailgate of my truck. Even the Chumba wheels are still true after 2 seasons of abuse!
    The only failure I've ever seen on the XCL was a cracked seatstay where the dropout meets the seatstay - and this is even less than 0.5 percent of the total frames out there - and I am sure many of our customers are using the frame for similar application to what you are doing. Of course I can't advertise the frame as a DH frame because it is only a 5inch trail bike - but it is capable of handling shuttle runs. I think at one point though - you might want to consider a F5 built up around 36 lbs. with a Totem - like this one -

We do have a 17" seat tube version of the F5 now.

-A.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by chucko58
    I like the stickers too. They'd go really nicely on my XTR grey XCL.
    Yes - we're working on it. Should have some soon - I'll post when they are available.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The only failure I've ever seen on the XCL was a cracked seatstay where the dropout meets the seatstay - and this is even less than 0.5 percent of the total frames out there - and I am sure many of our customers are using the frame for similar application to what you are doing. Of course I can't advertise the frame as a DH frame because it is only a 5inch trail bike - but it is capable of handling shuttle runs. I think at one point though - you might want to consider a F5 built up around 36 lbs. with a Totem - like this one -

We do have a 17" seat tube version of the F5 now.

-A.
    I'm not too worried about the seatstays, that could happen while I'm biking to the store. Good to know about the smaller and lighter version of the F5...36 lbs is about how much my bike weighs now! I'd like a pink one though. Now I just need to find a money tree...

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by jaclynj
    I'm not too worried about the seatstays, that could happen while I'm biking to the store. Good to know about the smaller and lighter version of the F5...36 lbs is about how much my bike weighs now! I'd like a pink one though. Now I just need to find a money tree...
    Ano red - small F5 is the way to go - I think I've posted pics before - but I can post more later..

banned
    .. I guess that's your way of reluctantly saying you find the bike's looks pleasing - I will take it as a compliment.
    No, that's not what I was saying at all. The graphics are a huge step in making the bike look almost "normal", but I still don't care for the look of any of the models quite frankly. Just my opinion, so feel free to ignore it.

RJG
    mtbr member
    Looks cool but I would probably keep the stickers off the driveside chainstay as shown in the photo, I think the driveside stay will be covered or totally f'ed from the chain.
    R

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eyescream
    No, that's not what I was saying at all. The graphics are a huge step in making the bike look almost "normal", but I still don't care for the look of any of the models quite frankly. Just my opinion, so feel free to ignore it.
    Well - what would you consider to be normal - the 575 pictured in your avatar? I don't see how that bike is any more "normal" than our VF2 considering both use hydroformed top tubes - carbon stays - and a Mcstrut style 4 bar suspension design - if anything people might argue that the VF2 uses a more conventional suspension design. Maybe you can enlighten me - what's not "normal" about the bike pictured? Not to start an argument, but as someone involed with bike design I'm genuinely interested in your reasoning for your conclusion.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by RJG
    Looks cool but I would probably keep the stickers off the driveside chainstay as shown in the photo, I think the driveside stay will be covered or totally f'ed from the chain.
    R
    Right - this one was a one-off - they will definitely be on the non-drive side for future models.

Members who have read this thread: 0