...Light EVO Build...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

...Light EVO Build...

Hey guys,

I'm going to spec out a light EVO for XC use...any recommendations on parts? So far, I'm thinking of using a Maverick front fork, Crossmax SL wheels..
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

Compulsive Bike Builder

Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    Hey guys,

I'm going to spec out a light EVO for XC use...any recommendations on parts? So far, I'm thinking of using a Maverick front fork, Crossmax SL wheels..
    Magura Martas are good lightweight brakes, you could go 180 / 180 or 180/160 mm rotors. Kevlar bead tires. You can get lighter custom wheels that are just as strong, XTR, DT Swiss 240, or WTB Laser Disc Lite hubs, butted spokes, alloy nips, and the rim depends - UST? Lightest possible? Eggbeater pedals, all the Ti you can afford.

It is worth it to be careful when choosing the saddle, grips, and other little items. If you are choosing everything new, the collective benefit of lots of small items adds up.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Hey guys,

How about:
    - Juicy 7 carbon brakes w/6" rear, 7" front
    - FSA K Force riser carbon bars
    - FSA K Force MegaExo carbon cranks 175mm
    - X.0 or X.9 RD
    - XTR FR
    - X.9 Triggers
    to start....
    MCM# 2007.1

mtbr member

Warning!

So far, I'm thinking of using a Maverick front fork
    Don't do it. They're way light but no good IMHO. My old Maverick ML7 had a DUC on it and it was a total dog! Constantly leaking, no notable difference in rebound settings and surprisingly flexy and I'm a lightweight? Props to Maverick for going way outside the box with their forks but they are still off the back. Hopefully some day soon they'll work out all of the bugs...

F - O - X is the way to go I think...add 1/2 pound for 100x the performance.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Boon Fly
    Don't do it. They're way light but no good IMHO. My old Maverick ML7 had a DUC on it and it was a total dog! Constantly leaking, no notable difference in rebound settings and surprisingly flexy and I'm a lightweight? Props to Maverick for going way outside the box with their forks but they are still off the back. Hopefully some day soon they'll work out all of the bugs...

F - O - X is the way to go I think...add 1/2 pound for 100x the performance.
    Hey Boon Fly,

Thanks for your input. I have a in-house demo going with a guy, and I spec'ed a Maverick DUC for him. He was stoked on the frame, but made the exact same comments you are making about the flex and rebound. So I called Maverick and asked them if maybe we could tune it for better performance, and they recommended adding more oil. I don't want to give up yet on the fork because Ted runs a Maverick on his bike and likes it, but then I have to take our riders comments seriously.

In fact, my friend, who owns a Maverick fork, did say it was leaking as well. = /

Can I ask you, have you tried tuning the fork at all? And if so, with what results? Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by CHUMBAevo; 07-29-2006 at 11:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDad
    Magura Martas are good lightweight brakes, you could go 180 / 180 or 180/160 mm rotors. Kevlar bead tires. You can get lighter custom wheels that are just as strong, XTR, DT Swiss 240, or WTB Laser Disc Lite hubs, butted spokes, alloy nips, and the rim depends - UST? Lightest possible? Eggbeater pedals, all the Ti you can afford.

It is worth it to be careful when choosing the saddle, grips, and other little items. If you are choosing everything new, the collective benefit of lots of small items adds up.
    Dirtdad,

I ran Magura Martas SL and liked them a lot. Are they much lighter than the SRAM Juicy Carbons? We currently offer those on our build kits and demo bikes, and so far, the experience has been nothing but positive. We can also get DT Swiss 240 versus the more enduro style 340. Do you know how much lighter they are?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpot
    How about:
    - Juicy 7 carbon brakes w/6" rear, 7" front
    - FSA K Force riser carbon bars
    - FSA K Force MegaExo carbon cranks 175mm
    - X.0 or X.9 RD
    - XTR FR
    - X.9 Triggers
    to start....
    Carbon bars and cranks sound good..mmmm

Jul 2006
    If you want to build a XC Evo, you should start with a sweet Fork. There is nothing sweet about the Maverick!!! Whether Ted likes the fork or not, you are building the bike to display the Evo's XC capabilities. Do yourself a favor, save a few grams elsewhere.

As for the wheelset, the Crossmax SL sound pretty good. 1470g, UST, strong, durable.
    Shifters- SRAM XO. Second option: Shimano XTR Dual Controls
    Brakes- Juicy Ultimates or Magura Marta SL
    Derailers: SRAM XO
    Tires: Too many choices
    Crankset: Race Face, Shimano, TruVativ. FSA makes a fine crank. Their bottom brackets are a different story. Don't take my word for it...

The remaining items have more to do with personal preference than showcasing the Evo's abilities. Take DirtDad's advice and choose them wisely. One can indeed save plenty of weight by making the proper choices.

How soon before the bike is built?

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    We can also get DT Swiss 240 versus the more enduro style 340. Do you know how much lighter they are?
    The 240s are about 141gr lighter than the 340s. Going with 4.1d rims as opposed to 5.1d rims would save about 75gr. That's almost 1/2 pound total just on the wheels.
    MCM# 2007.1

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Carbon bars and cranks sound good..mmmm
    Have you guys ever experimented with carbon shock spacers? I don't know what the weight savings vs aluminum would be, but I'm sure it could account for something.

The FSA carbon stuff is really stiff too and can put up with a lot of abuse.
    MCM# 2007.1

Compulsive Bike Builder

If you are a weight weenie

I ran Magura Martas SL and liked them a lot. Are they much lighter than the SRAM Juicy Carbons?
    The Marta SL real world weight is about 340 grams, they are like 80 grams each less than the Avids.

The Marta with alloy brake lever (just Marta, not Marta SL) are only about 5-10 grams heavier each. Some like the alloy lever better than the carbon. and the SLs are silver, gold, or red ano, the non-SL are black.

Martas are direct mount (like XTR) which means you may end up dealing with shims or brake tab facing, but the lack of an adapter is where some of the weight savings comes in. There is also a direct post mount Marta caliper available.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

mtbr member

Yes but...

Hey Boon Fly,

Thanks for your input. I have a in-house demo going with a guy, and I spec'ed a Maverick DUC for him. He was stoked on the frame, but made the exact same comments you are making about the flex and rebound. So I called Maverick and asked them if maybe we could tune it for better performance, and they recommended adding more oil. I don't want to give up yet on the fork because Ted runs a Maverick on his bike and likes it, but then I have to take our riders comments seriously.

In fact, my friend, who owns a Maverick fork, did say it was leaking as well. = /

Can I ask you, have you tried tuning the fork at all? And if so, with what results? Thanks for your input.
    I did in fact have my fork rebuilt. The good news was that some faulty seals were the culprit for the leakage and replaing them solved that problem. (I was told by Maverick that a rather large batch of faulty seals had made it into the market. Whoops! ) But the bad news is that it really did little good in the performance department. Honestly, I did not feel any notable upgrade in performance. I had a buddy with similar Maverick fork problems as well...So in the end I gave up and went BACK to Fox. Maverick is a cool company but like I said before their forks are a little off the back...

not so super...
    Fork - Zocchi AM SL or what ever it is called in 07 or Pike Air.
    Wheels - the DT 240 and 4.1
    Tires - Kevlar bead - whatever brand model. You can't make everyone happy on this one.
    Cranks - Truvativ Stylo Carbon or FSA MegaExo Carbon
    Stem - Thomson X4
    Post - Thomson
    Bars - FSA carbon
    Saddle - WTB Ti rail model
    Brakes - Juicy Ultimates
    Drivetrain - XO
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Hey guys,

Fork: RockShox Lyrik 2 Step if you can get your hands on one or Pike Air 454
    Shock: DHX Air
    Wheelset: I9 laced to DT Swiss 4.1d
    Stem: RaceFace Deus
    Bars: Race Face Carbon
    Shifters X0
    Derailleur: X0 rear, xtr front
    Cranks: FSA Carbon
    Brakes: Marta SL's
    Tires: WTB Mutanos
    Cassette SRAM 990's

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by SprocketHead
    Shifters X0
    Cassette SRAM 990's
    How much does the RockShox Lyrik and the Pike weigh? I just saw a Pike at the Bike Co., and it looked pretty nice, and lightweight too.

We are leaning towards SRAM Juicy Carbons, FSA Carbon Cranks, DT Swiss 240s or Crossmax SLs, and fork is still up in the air.

not so super...
    How much does the RockShox Lyrik and the Pike weigh? I just saw a Pike at the Bike Co., and it looked pretty nice, and lightweight too.

We are leaning towards SRAM Juicy Carbons, FSA Carbon Cranks, DT Swiss 240s or Crossmax SLs, and fork is still up in the air.
    The Lyrik isn't out yet and RS claims that the Pike is 4.27 in the Air model.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    The Lyrik isn't out yet and RS claims that the Pike is 4.27 in the Air model.
    That would be the Air U-turn model. The 454 Dual Air is supposed to be 4.08 lb. Since the EVO tends to wander on the climbs it would be a good idea to get the U-turn model.

I'm thinking of replacing my AM1 with with a Pike. I just couldn't get the fork dialed in for a plush ride. It also doesn't track that well in the rough stuff

Aug 2004
    it takes a little while to dial in the AM1, maybe you should fool around with the settings some more before you give up, it should eat up the rough stuff...

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Legs
    If you want to build a XC Evo, you should start with a sweet Fork. There is nothing sweet about the Maverick!!! Whether Ted likes the fork or not, you are building the bike to display the Evo's XC capabilities. Do yourself a favor, save a few grams elsewhere.

As for the wheelset, the Crossmax SL sound pretty good. 1470g, UST, strong, durable.
    Shifters- SRAM XO. Second option: Shimano XTR Dual Controls
    Brakes- Juicy Ultimates or Magura Marta SL
    Derailers: SRAM XO
    Tires: Too many choices
    Crankset: Race Face, Shimano, TruVativ. FSA makes a fine crank. Their bottom brackets are a different story. Don't take my word for it...

The remaining items have more to do with personal preference than showcasing the Evo's abilities. Take DirtDad's advice and choose them wisely. One can indeed save plenty of weight by making the proper choices.

How soon before the bike is built?

Hey Chickenlegs,

Good choices. The negative responses to the Maverick fork have made me put it on the back burner.

We're not sure exactly when the bike will be built, we're starting to order components - hopefully they will be here shortly and we can start building.

So what do you recommend for a fork?

nerfherder

Pike 454 Air UTurn

My $.02

1. It's pretty light for a 140mm travel fork (4.27 lbs according to RS site)
    2. It travel adjusts down to 110mm for climbing
    3. Thru Axle for stiffness
    4. A-C of ~517 which is the same as the DUC32
    5. People like it more than the DUC32

mtbr member
    My fork choices are leaning towards the Pike 454 and the Marzocchi All Mountain SL.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by carnetorta
    it takes a little while to dial in the AM1, maybe you should fool around with the settings some more before you give up, it should eat up the rough stuff...
    Any suggestions??? I weigh 165-170# w/ gear and I have been using 16 psi to get about 25%-30% sag on 150mm. It still feels like it pogos and not soaking up even the smaller stuff. If I crank up the rebound damping I start to feel the "thud". I always run the TST in downhill setting. I thought maybe I have too little air in the damper so I upped it to 21-26 psi just to see--way too stiff for me! I had to take it back down to 16-18 psi.

I asked Marz if I can get a softer spring for the ETA leg and they said no.

Aug 2004

Quote Originally Posted by ahimanic
    Any suggestions??? I weigh 165-170# w/ gear and I have been using 16 psi to get about 25%-30% sag on 150mm. It still feels like it pogos and not soaking up even the smaller stuff. If I crank up the rebound damping I start to feel the "thud". I always run the TST in downhill setting. I thought maybe I have too little air in the damper so I upped it to 21-26 psi just to see--way too stiff for me! I had to take it back down to 16-18 psi.

I asked Marz if I can get a softer spring for the ETA leg and they said no.
    I had a very similar problem, play with the rebound to hit the "sweet" spot, where it doesn't thud, but rebound is slow enough where i doesnt pogo. the air pressure sounds fine...as for the tst, try putting it in the middle settings, rather than just the downhill..

Jul 2006
    THANK YOU for not going with the Maverick fork!!!!!

As for what I would recommend- I am a big fan of heavier forks matched with lighter weight components. To me, the bike feels more solid when flying down the steeps. You can't go wrong with any of the forks listed. If weight is NOT the ultimate consideration- go with the 2007 Marzocchi All Mountain SL1 or AM2. I believe both weigh in under 4.8Lbs, both have travel adjustment and both will have MARZ version of the MAXLE. What more can one ask for!?! If weight is an issue- the Pike Air (4.08lbs?) may be the way to go.

As for the individual components- You have been given more than enough information to make an informed decision.

One last opinion. I am usually opposed to BLINGY / show off type bikes. In this case, I am beginning to think you SHOULD go BLING!!!! If the XC EVO will be a showcase type bike- show the thing off. Let riders know you are coming. Force them to look at it. Add a splash of color. Red Cables? Colored Spokes? Siver Spokes? Flashy Hub? Spinners??? Just a suggestion. Don't go overboard either. Ninety percent of the bikes look the same. Make the bike stand out a bit!
    Last edited by Chicken Legs; 08-01-2006 at 01:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

There is more than one version of the Lyric. The two step air is said to be around 5.25lbs and the U-turn is around 5.75lbs. The weight includes the un-cut steer tube and thru-axle, so, both weights are pretty good for a 160mm fork.

The Pike air is well under 5lbs and the coil version is right around the 5lb mark.

not so super...
    My fork choices are leaning towards the Pike 454 and the Marzocchi All Mountain SL.
    your welcome
    Nothing to see here.

Aug 2004

your welcome

the marzocchi all mountain sl looks sweet, has anyone actually weighed one?

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    the marzocchi all mountain sl looks sweet, has anyone actually weighed one?
    Should be right around 4.4 - 4.5 lbs. (~2001 grams according to the Marz site)
    MCM# 2007.1

Aug 2004

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpot
    Should be right around 4.4 - 4.5 lbs. (~2001 grams according to the Marz site)
    which one is better for lightweight all mountain the marzocchi am sl or the rock shox 454 air?

mtbr member
    which one is better for lightweight all mountain the marzocchi am sl or the rock shox 454 air?
    Marzocchi for some reason, publishes their fork weights w/o including the steering tube. I'm not sure how heavy a steering tube could be, but their real world weight will definitely be higher than what is published.

I would shy away from the AM SL on the Evo. I'm guessing the A/C height will be about the same as my AM1 - but the SL doesn't have ETA so the front end will definitely wander on some of the steeper climbs.

ETA isn't an absolute necessity, but you can only pedal up a hill with the tip of your saddle going up your backside for so long.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by dubjay
    Marzocchi for some reason, publishes their fork weights w/o including the steering tube. I'm not sure how heavy a steering tube could be, but their real world weight will definitely be higher than what is published.

I would shy away from the AM SL on the Evo. I'm guessing the A/C height will be about the same as my AM1 - but the SL doesn't have ETA so the front end will definitely wander on some of the steeper climbs.

ETA isn't an absolute necessity, but you can only pedal up a hill with the tip of your saddle going up your backside for so long.
    The 07 AMSL will have on the fly travel adjustment FWIW.

Weight of the 06 (with steertube) is 2030g or 4.475lbs. Marzocchi's published are very close to exact.

07 details:
    All Mountain SL 1.
    New magnesium monolite with 20mm QR axle and post disc mount.
    32mm alloy stanchions.
    TST 5 damping cartridge with adjustable rebound and lock out.
    New ATA cartridge - travel adjustable 120 to 160mm.
    Air sprung.
    Options: TST remote control..
    511-551 a-2-c

Last edited by SSINGA; 08-02-2006 at 01:15 PM.
    Nothing to see here.

Aug 2004

Weight of the 06 (with steertube) is 2030g or 4.475lbs. Marzocchi's published are very close to exact.

07 details:
    All Mountain SL 1.
    32mm alloy stanchions.
    Air sprung.
    511-551 a-2-c

Does the 06 All Mountain SL have an ETA?

not so super...
    Does the 06 All Mountain SL have an ETA?
    No ETA on the 06
    Nothing to see here.

Apr 2006
    I like the Marzocchi SL, I had one, but I think the EVO would be best with a travel adjust, heard many people liking the RS Pike.

Made in China
    Jan 2006

07 details:
    All Mountain SL 1.
    32mm alloy stanchions.
    Air sprung.
    511-551 a-2-c

THAT'S ONE SWEET FORK!!!!! I have the 05 AM SL and it is a little high in the front on steeper stuff. I have to stand and weight the front to keep it down on really steep climbs, which mean I can't climb steep stuff for too long. Getting a SS 29er so hopefully I'll get bigger muscles to solve the problem.
    "Didn't your doctor tell you to stop smoking and drinking?" George Burns "Yes but they all died"

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SprocketHead
    Shifters X0
    Cassette SRAM 990's
    hi,
    any idea of how much this build would weight witht he rs lyrik 2 step??

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by flying tonkatsu
    hi,
    any idea of how much this build would weight witht he rs lyrik 2 step??
    i would say 32-33

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hey Chickenlegs,

Good choices. The negative responses to the Maverick fork have made me put it on the back burner.

We're not sure exactly when the bike will be built, we're starting to order components - hopefully they will be here shortly and we can start building.

So what do you recommend for a fork?

hey did you guys build this bike yet?? if so how much does it weight and what the parts you used on it?

thanks,

Nov 2005
    I've been throwing around building up Evo with one of the Fox Talas 36 with the 3 step travel adjustment. It seems like a perfect match for that frame and it weigths in around 5 lbs

trail fairy
    No ETA on the 06
    What no ETA this was is Marz best feature esspecially in the AM series

Ss back to the Frankenfork department me thinks

or

Get a Pike Ss it'll rock yr socks off though no ETA either wish it had 2 step I don't use the in beteen Uturn settings they are just a pain.

Marz what are you doing drop the TST not the ETAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Esspecially on forks over 5inches
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    How about the Manitou Nixon Platinum? It has a 20mm thru axle and weighs in about 4.1 lbs. I think it's 110mm - 145mm.

mtbr member

Dont get me wrong

I have build my 5.5 with light components at first I used Crossmax XL though.
    Get sturdy components for a bike like the evo this type of bike makes you ride aggresive and you will start replacing parts after a while, you will start riding like a mad man and loose faith in some components. Just my two cents. My 5.5 was a XC bike at first and now its a trail bike with a easton Vice stem and Riser bars. The light weight seat post had to go too.
    https://robsprimallife.com/
    MTB certified integrative health, weight loss and performance Coach.
    #robsprimallife

mtbr member

Pics coming soon...

I'm going to post a picture of Ted's bike soon, which has a XTR groupo on it, and comes in the low 30 lbs...I'm also thinking of stripping my mamba and building my evo, which also has a xtr groupo and magura marta SLs with a King wheelset..

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Good job! XC/AM EVO comes in at 31lbs and 12 oz

I was pleasantly surprised by the final weight of my EVO build. 31 lbs and 12 oz.

Rides GREAT!

Frame - EVO medium
    Shock - Fox DHX Air
    Fork - Rockshox LIRIK
    Stem - Thomson 70 mm
    Handlebar - Raceface carbon riser
    Shifters - XTR 05 trigger
    Brakes - AVID juicy carbon
    Grips - ODI lock grips
    Cranks/ BB- XTR 06
    FD - XTR E type
    RD - XTR
    Hubs - Chris King
    Rims - Mavic 717 32 hole
    Spokes - DT swiss comp
    Tires - Nokian Nevegal

mtbr member

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by tonycan
    I was pleasantly surprised by the final weight of my EVO build. 31 lbs and 12 oz.

Rides GREAT!

Frame - EVO medium
    Shock - Fox DHX Air
    Fork - Rockshox LIRIK
    Stem - Thomson 70 mm
    Handlebar - Raceface carbon riser
    Shifters - XTR 05 trigger
    Brakes - AVID juicy carbon
    Grips - ODI lock grips
    Cranks/ BB- XTR 06
    FD - XTR E type
    RD - XTR
    Hubs - Chris King
    Rims - Mavic 717 32 hole
    Spokes - DT swiss comp
    Tires - Nokian Nevegal

Hey Tony,

We got a weight in the high 31lbs. as well for Ted's bike. The build spec is very similar with:

Shimano XTR derailleurs
    Shimano XTR cranks
    Maverick fork
    SDG saddle seatpost
    Time Pedals
    Shimano XTR brakes
    Shimano XT wheels
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0