Last Chumba XCL in UK ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Last Chumba XCL in UK ?

i've just spoken to freeborn (uk distributor) and they have told me they will no longer be importing chumba xcl frames as they are now being made in Taiwan and the frame prices will be the same as the hand made US ones. Can this be true ?
    I managed to get the last frame they had (the frame from a bike used by a journo for demo purposes with about 10miles on it). I'm hoping i've got a bargain as they threw in a Chris King headset, xt fr mech & bb, hope seat QR and a thompson seat post for 850ish inc 24hr postage. I am a little confused though as he said the frame was blue, and i haven't seen any blue ones on the web. he also had an evo in, so it's possible he just gave me the colour of the evo by mistake.
    I'll have to wait until Friday to find out for sure though. My only problem now is, do i have one last ride on the heckler before swapping kit over.
    i'll be booking friday of work anyhow, so hopefully be riding the xcl Friday evening with pics to follow.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by raddaz
    i've just spoken to freeborn (uk distributor) and they have told me they will no longer be importing chumba xcl frames as they are now being made in Taiwan and the frame prices will be the same as the hand made US ones. Can this be true ?
    I managed to get the last frame they had (the frame from a bike used by a journo for demo purposes with about 10miles on it). I'm hoping i've got a bargain as they threw in a Chris King headset, xt fr mech & bb, hope seat QR and a thompson seat post for 850ish inc 24hr postage. I am a little confused though as he said the frame was blue, and i haven't seen any blue ones on the web. he also had an evo in, so it's possible he just gave me the colour of the evo by mistake.
    I'll have to wait until Friday to find out for sure though. My only problem now is, do i have one last ride on the heckler before swapping kit over.
    i'll be booking friday of work anyhow, so hopefully be riding the xcl Friday evening with pics to follow.
    At least in the US, Taiwan version is cheaper...almost 20% cheaper.

Blue XCL's are the 2006 version...unless it is custom.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    how can i tell if it's '06 or '07 ?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by raddaz
    You have a US made one. As for Freeborn, we had a parting of ways -- it was amicable, but the actual reason has nothing to do with where the bikes are made. And, as for the pricing structure, that is simply not true.

Anyway, we will be at Eurobike, and we already have several UK distributors bidding for distributorship of our products, so I promise you, you will see many more CHUMBAs in the UK.

-Alan
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    thanks for clearing that up, i though there might be more to it. Glad there is another distributor in the pipeline as it's always nice to have a point of contact in the same country as you reside in.

i'm assuming mine is an 06 4.5" travel frame then.

Members who have read this thread: 0