LaPierre Zesty vs Spicy..help me decide- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

LaPierre Zesty vs Spicy..help me decide

I've been riding for about a year now and getting ready to upgrade. My current bike is a Kona Coiler and weighs about 39lbs. I mostly ride local trails in SoCal and some technical downhill stuff. I am able to get a pretty good deal on the LaPierre Zesty or Spicy..about the same cost..the Spicy will be about $100 more.

From what I have read, they are both about the same frame geo..the Zesty is .5 degree more slack..but about the same. The Zesty comes with the Fox 32 CTD and the Spicy the Fox 34 CTD. The Zesty is about 4 lbs lighter (13kg vs 15 kg).

From what I'vre read the Spicy (all though a good climber) is better at downhill and vice versa for the Zesty.

My dilemma is do I spend the $100 an go for the Spicy with the beefier 160mm fork and sacrifice some uphill ability, or go with the Zesty and the lighter frame..

Anybody here come across this fork in the road and what convinced you to go either Spicy or Zesty?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Coming from a Kona Coiler you should take the Spicy, I think. Waaaaay lighter than your previous bike, plenty of travel for the technical stuff and still a good climber.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pedromayall View Post
    Coming from a Kona Coiler you should take the Spicy, I think. Waaaaay lighter than your previous bike, plenty of travel for the technical stuff and still a good climber.
    Yea..that was I thinking..although I do appreciate the lighter Zesty..perhaps stay the course and keep with the Spicy..but 4 lbs lighter frame is enticing...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Just get a YT capra...it whoops on the spicy, and climbs better than the zesty. YT USA A properly designed bike doesn't need an auto-locking shock to climb well, and everyone knows you lose massive amounts of traction when you lock out your suspension.

http://us.yt-industries.com/media/pd..._CAPRA-pro.pdf

mtbr member
    will have to check them out..

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I had a Zesty for Demo and found it to be a very fun bike. I wanted a little beefier fork so I ended up with a good price on the Spicy and went with that. The Spicy is a ton of fun. I rarely lock out my suspension and I find it climbs quite well. I had a 29er hard tail prior and I can't say it struggles in the climb at all. It is great on the downhill too. I think the Spicy is worth the price.

mtbr member
    have a zesty with ei and absolutely love it. 5 1/2 lbs heavier than my ww titus but climbs soooo much better. two riding buddies of mine have spicy's and besides the small extra travel up front 10mm, very comparable. I didn't know the spicy is 4 lbs heavier. If that is the case, definitely get the zesty. much easier to throw the bike around on the trails. 4 lbs to lose on a bike is huge bling.