jpp
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

jpp
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

May 2007

Copy of MTB Cycletech Opium Flash

It's dissappointing, leaving the celebrated fps system for a old style (but stil very good) horst link bike like the opium flash. Is there a patent issue behind this change in philosophy?

May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stifu
    It's dissappointing, leaving the celebrated fps system for a old style (but stil very good) horst link bike like the opium flash. Is there a patent issue behind this change in philosophy?
    if you look closer, it is still fps...

May 2007

fps features

I cannot see any fps features, every horst link bike has a floating pivot or vpp or fps or whatever. Suspension behaviour will be very diffrent from what the LTX 160 was famos for! The bike linked below exists since 10 years with this design, so what's new about the new lapierre (damper mounted at downtube doesnt make a different bike)

http://www.velo.com/bike.asp?id=98&category_id=2

Aug 2007
    No! You cannot see! Because if you could you would notice that there is a linkage just above the bb shell and that in conjunction with the upper link constitutes a virtual pivot point bike. It has the Horst link to make the ride smoother through the smaller stuff.

May 2007

5 bar linkage

So you would say it has a 5th pivot point - no way this cannot work! Maybe you see more than I do...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Well that definetly encourages one to consider the new XT wheels for ones own steed..
    Would anybody happen to know if they will be available with 6-bolt pattern hubs or just centerlock? Sorry the OT..

May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stifu
    So you would say it has a 5th pivot point - no way this cannot work! Maybe you see more than I do...
    look closely above the bottom bracket, you will see ared pivot point on the seat tube. then you can find further back another red point, between these two red point there is one link.
    the other linkg is easily visible. and there is a last pivot point on the chainstays. so it is more ore less a vpp with one more pivot point...

Aug 2007
    stifu So you would say it has a 5th pivot point - no way this cannot work! Maybe you see more than I do...

Soooo....... I guess you are an engineer specializing in bicycle suspension.

May 2007

Nothing new

look at the orange photo and you see that there is only one sinlge pivot right above the bb, so just the same as mtb cycletech flash

Aug 2007
    Where do you see an orange photo? We are talking of the black Spicy, I presume.
    If you clearly open your eyes and notice that each pivot point is fastened with a red anodised bolt, then you will finally see that with the Horst link and the other "pivots"(as were identified by the bolts in red) as numbering 5.

May 2007

where is the 5th pivot?

Sorry but...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    The upper red dot is a sticker and if it was a pivot then that would be the most non-rigid design to date. It is a FSR design. In the article on the Bike Kulture site it says that the system was developed for bigger travel platforms. Patent laws only apply to sales in the states and Lapierre is a French company. Anyways, the bottom link on the X160 doesn't really move all that much. The old was a VPP and the new is a FSR. All the good designs already exist. It is hard to reinvent the wheel.

May 2005
    oh... i'm sorry, i thought it was a pivot point but you're right, it's just a fsr...

Aug 2007
    I have no time to waste on amateur engineers who take there information from badly botched photos with inserts that hide most of the link. Bye Bye!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guybomba
    I have no time to waste on amateur engineers who take there information from badly botched photos with inserts that hide most of the link. Bye Bye!
    My friend Amael Donet is the tester from Bike Kulture who rode these bikes and he said they even patented their re-arrangement of the pivot points of the FSR design. Nobody is trying to be amateur engineers here. He liked the bike by the way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Passport

Lapierre has a new foldable bike, the Passport
    https://www.mtnbikeriders.com/2007/0...erre-passport/

Reminds me of a Salsa Dos Niner with it's small shock up at the top of the seat tube.

jpp
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

mtbr member
    Has any one got the 08 bikes yet or has tried one. Cos I really want to know what they are like and see some pics.

My dealer doesn’t have one that can be tested of road-they’re all shiny and new so he doesn’t want to muck them up before selling them.

Please let there be someone-go on, you know you want to

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jpp
    nice paint frame)..

Members who have read this thread: 0