KHS 304 or 504. Who else rides one of these?- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

Good job! KHS 304 or 504. Who else rides one of these?

I built up a Jensons' KHS 304 frame special back in June 04 and have to say it's been a nice bike, much to my surprise. I wasn't expecting much at all.

But it's a good XC bike and fills the bill for my occasional dirt riding (1-4 times month). Good pedaling in climbs.

Any other 304/504 riders out there?

Sep 2004

i ride a 504

I bought the frame and built it up I have ridden it exceptionaly hard for over two years and it is still going.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Bought one of the 504s when Jenson had them on sale last year for my wife.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...73708#poststop

Mar 2004
    My Jenson clearance 304 frame is going strong. I was going to buy that Iron Horse Warrior Pro frame deal, but decided not to because I don't have a single complaint or issue with my KHS.

Jun 2004
    i bought the whole khs 504 bike back when it was on clearance at $750... not a bad deal for a full squish with discs.

since then i've upgraded some of the heavy bits and pieces (seatpost, saddle, stem) and it's under 30 pounds, which is pretty acceptible for my purposes right now.

i ride it damn hard and raced it a couple of weeks ago. no cracks in the frame or anything (fingers crossed).

i weigh about 155 with full gear, and the rear shock does things well for me. my only complaint might be the RS pilot sl, but new things will come in time.

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jonwebah
    ...my only complaint might be the RS pilot sl, but new things will come in time.
    My old Psylo was a dog of a fork too on my KHS. After I ditched the Psylo and replaced it with a Manitou Minute, the bike is sweet. I really enjoy my 304 frame with the Minute fork.

Keeps your peeled out from now til mid summer. Retailers are going to start clearing out 05 forks and you can get some good deals. I got my Minute 1 for $280 new on clearance. Greenfish Sports always seems to have good clearance Manitou forks year round actually.

I wouldn't worry too much about 504/304 frames cracking. Remember, even Ellsworth frames crack.

Suburban Redneck
    I've been beating the snot out of my 304 for about a year now and it/I love it. No over the top abuse, but I ride it hard and with gear I'm about 220-225. Absolutely worth the coin. The only complaint I HAD was that Jenson spec'd the wrong front der. so I had to rig it up with parts from an old one. Works good, but will be replaced soon.

Mar 2004
    Still diggin my 304 too.

Although, I have been curious about mounting a 5th Elem or Manitou Swinger Air onto my frame. I browse the classifieds and once in a while see a nice air stable platform shock for around $200.