Just Purchased a Zion 660 EBB . . . .- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Just Purchased a Zion 660 EBB . . . .

Hello all,

I just picked up a Zion 660 EBB frame for a steal of a deal ($115), at that price I could not let the chance to build up a SS escape me. Problem is I have never built a bike before, so this will be my learning curve, as such I have a few noob questions (Please forgive my lack of knowledge):

1) What size headset do I need? (assuming the standard 1 1/8)

2) In terms of cranks for a Single speed, what are some good options and what sizing is best/applicable for the Zion frame? What size Bottom Bracket does the Zion frame require?

3) Also what gearing is recommended for someone new to the Single Speed world? I am a farily decent climber, so I would like something that will not be pedalled out in the flat sections of a course, but at the same time something that will allow me to climb and not walk the hills.

So far my build is going to be as follows:

Zion 660 EBB Frame
    Fork - ????
    Mavic Crossride Wheelset
    Cane Creek S3 Headset 1 1/8 (if applicable)
    Juicy 5's Hyrdraulic Discs
    Crankset - ????
    Gear Ratio - ????

Any suggestions on a decently cheap fork (around $250 -$300) for the build would be appreciated, I am thinking max of a 100 mm travel - Maybe a RS Tora?

I have some time to build this as I currently have a SantaCruz Blur LT which will continue to be my primary bike, but the urge to build a SS needed to be addressed.

Again, I apologize for my lack of knowledge and thanks in advance for all your help.

Cheers All
    Last edited by XC23; 05-02-2008 at 04:09 PM.

carpe diem
    Jan 2004

Some answers...

1) What size headset do I need? (assuming the standard 1 1/8) - 1 1/8" is correct

2) In terms of cranks for a Single speed, what are some good options and what sizing is best/applicable for the Zion frame? What size Bottom Bracket does the Zion frame require?

Depends on what you want to spend. You can find a cheap (or pricey) triple and only use the middle ring or pick up some crankarms and bolt on a 32 or 34T ring. On a budget, I would go with an older square taper crankset or arms (like Shimano or Raceface) and matching BB. You will need a 68 x probably 113 BB english thread. I have ISIS cranks / BB on my SS and have durability issues with the BB, so I would not recommend ISIS.

3) Also what gearing is recommended for someone new to the Single Speed world? I am a farily decent climber, so I would like something that will not be pedalled out in the flat sections of a course, but at the same time something that will allow me to climb and not walk the hills.

Gearing is personal and somewhat depends on terrain that you ride. More hills might dictate more teeth on the cog. Rule of thumb is 2:1 or slightly bigger so with a 34T ring you might go with a 17 or 19T. My suggestion is to ride your current bike in the middle ring and the rear cog in the 16 - 19T range without shifting on your favorite trail and see how you do.

So far my build is going to be as follows:

Zion 660 EBB Frame
    Fork - ????
    Mavic Crossride Wheelset
    Cane Creek S3 Headset 1 1/8 (if applicable)
    Juicy 5's Hyrdraulic Discs
    Crankset - ????
    Gear Ratio - ????

Any suggestions on a decently cheap fork (around $250 -$300) for the build would be appreciated, I am thinking max of a 100 mm travel - Maybe a RS Tora?

Plenty of options from 80mm or 100mm or rigid.

If your trails are fairly smooth, you might consider a rigid fork for efficiency and simplicity. Otherwise here is another option if you are looking at 100mm:

http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=106942

Free shipping on orders more than $100 if you were in the states.

I have some time to build this as I currently have a SantaCruz Blur LT which will continue to be my primary bike, but the urge to build a SS needed to be addressed.

Again, I apologize for my lack of knowledge and thanks in advance for all your help.

For reference, I currently ride ride a 29er SS and I'll be building up a used 853EBB for a friend. Good luck on your build.

Cheers.

Caca pasa
    Check the General and/or Shock boards before getting a Tora. RS is having issues w/ a seal leaking.

I've got one coming to replace my older Marz Bomber, so if you want to buy a used 100mm fork, let me know. I've got to make sure the Tora works, first, though.

fp
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Members who have read this thread: 0