Jones (Jeff Jones) - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    -bustin punks
    Anybody interested in the 29er wheels from post 185 above?

While they are cool and "fast", they are probably not going to get used much as I just am really happy with my 27.5 plus wheels.

Easton ARC 45s, jones front hub, Shimano M785 rear, less than 30 mile Specialized Renegades. 135 F and R spacing.

Might also trade (or partial) for a 52-53cm cross bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I'm interested in the wheels, hit me up via pm.

mtbr member
    Well here is my update:

I'm Not going to sale my Jones 23 Spaceframe 29+

After a big Endo off my Carbon 29er HT bike, bike almost all ok bent rim's, Bent Ti Handlebars, etc.

I'll be ok too with rest.

So I'm now going to sale my Jones Diamond 29 Bikepacking bike

Life can change in a minute? it did for me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NZPeterG; 09-30-2017 at 02:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I just ordered an H bar for my Salsa fatbike and am super intrigued by the Jeff Jones frames. Anyone have a good idea for what a full alloy frame build would cost? I love the guys philosophy of "one bike" to do everything, and the idea of getting back to just riding bikes like we did when we were kids.

I can see myself replacing my '14 Trek Stache with a Jones Plus in the next year or so.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris307 View Post
    I just ordered an H bar for my Salsa fatbike and am super intrigued by the Jeff Jones frames. Anyone have a good idea for what a full alloy frame build would cost? I love the guys philosophy of "one bike" to do everything, and the idea of getting back to just riding bikes like we did when we were kids.

I can see myself replacing my '14 Trek Stache with a Jones Plus in the next year or so.
    Jones only makes steel bikes. I've spent about 3k on my first gen Plus but a lot of that is bling (modded M960 cranks, Eriksen Sweetpost, Brooks C17). Also a Scraper wheelset with Hope hubs. It's my baby!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    Jones only makes steel bikes. I've spent about 3k on my first gen Plus but a lot of that is bling (modded M960 cranks, Eriksen Sweetpost, Brooks C17). Also a Scraper wheelset with Hope hubs. It's my baby!
    Ah yes, my bad on the alloy bit. So a "budget" build would probably be in the ballpark of 2k or so? If that's the case, that's not really bad. Quite doable for a bike frame that will probably outlive me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris307 View Post
    Ah yes, my bad on the alloy bit. So a "budget" build would probably be in the ballpark of 2k or so? If that's the case, that's not really bad. Quite doable for a bike frame that will probably outlive me.
    Most definitely. Especially with gently used or on sale parts. The new Plus forks are 150mm spacing which is easier to come across than the 142 on mine.

mtbr member
    Most definitely. Especially with gently used or on sale parts. The new Plus forks are 150mm spacing which is easier to come across than the 142 on mine.
    The new fork is so much easier to find and build up front wheels for.
    I used a DT Swiss front hub on one wheel and a Son28 dyno hub on my second front wheel.
    The DT Swiss is my spare.

mtbr member
    Out and about on my Jones 23 Spaceframe Plus.
    Only update that may come is Jeff Jones carbon rims?
    Yes my saddle is all the way back!
    This is because I have very long femur leg bones!
    With my saddle like this my knees are 25mm in front of my pedal axles.
    Spring is here and it's time to step up my cycling.

Last edited by NZPeterG; 10-19-2017 at 12:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Jones Carbon H-bar for sale

Jones Carbon H-ar - MTBR Classifieds

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    How much were the wheels?
    2018 Surly Karate Monkey 'dingle' speed
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    I have a barely used wheel set built by Jeff for his Plus bikes, Jones 150 front and DT Swiss 148 rear w/XD driver and his carbon rims. I have gone to a narrower rim for the 2.6 - 2.8 tires I am now running now so I built up a second wheel set. I would consider selling this wheel set if someone wants to make a reasonable offer. They weren't cheap as you all know

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Well! I spoke to Jeff Jones today for the second time. They will send me a quote for a 24Ē Plus LWB (long wheel base or 29+) and for a decent wheelset. Iíll have a local mechanic transfer my drivetrain etc from my Surly Krampus. Itís a 32 x 19 SS with Jones loop bars and TRP mechanical brakes. Thanks all. Good thread. Looking forward to the new ride.

mtbr member
    Well I'm liking my Jones a lot more with the all new Jones Kraton rubber grips.
    It's 10:00am so time to go riding

mtbr member
    Merry Christmas all
    Happy riding it's Summer and riding time again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Is your red Jones still for sale?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joop View Post
    Is your red Jones still for sale?
    Sorry my Red Jones is sold.
    I miss her....
    But live in a small house (Tiny home)
    So only have some much space.

mtbr member
    New Headlight fitted for an upcoming Bikepacking event.
    I was using a K-LITE but the all new Sinewave Beacon headlight is so much more cleaner and with a USB battery bright when climbing slowly up big hills.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    And now there is the One bike that rules them all: the ti spaceframe plus ah
    I am saving up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joop View Post
    And now there is the One bike that rules them all: the ti spaceframe plus ah
    I am saving up!
    So true

-bustin punks
    Hi All, the wheels mentioned up in post 201 are still banging around and not being used.

Easton ARC 45s tubeless with 29x2.3 Specialized 2Bliss Renegades - roll super fast!

Jones Front hub, Shimano M785 rear hub, 135mm F & R

For some reason I get an error every time I try to post a legit classifieds ad for them, but they are still available. $500 shipped to you.

mtbr member
    Riding time

Last edited by NZPeterG; 04-22-2018 at 08:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Change out the bars. I run Groovy LUV handles as I cannot get used to the H-bar either. Steve Potts also makes a 21 degree bar but it has no forward sweep.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkbike2 View Post
    Change out the bars. I run Groovy LUV handles as I cannot get used to the H-bar either. Steve Potts also makes a 21 degree bar but it has no forward sweep.
    Hi
    Sorry I have tried a number of handlebars over the last few years.
    Salsa Woodchippers, Salsa Bend 2 17į and 23į.
    Thomson Titanium 12į
    And a load more.

Happy riding 鸞
    Last edited by NZPeterG; 04-22-2018 at 08:46 PM.

-bustin punks
    Hey all, if any of y'all are looking for a similarish page on Facebook, track us down:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2019211798295068/

Jeff has his site, but it's not really open to post pics, etc - so now there's a home for Jones owners there...show yours off, ask questions, buy/sell/trade Jones related stuff, etc.

mtbr member
    Thanks for this post.
    I was thinking about starting a FB group called keeping up with the Jones.

mtbr member
    Let's get this straight - you've been riding Jones' for years and have just changed your mind?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesetter2004 View Post
    Let's get this straight - you've been riding Jones' for years and have just changed your mind?
    I like the idea of the Jones design and my 1st Jones Plus 24 (the smallest size at the time) was too big for me.

My 2nd Jones, a diamond frame 29"er I had and liked a lot but the top tube was just too high for me.

So I sold them all.

Then Jeff Jones came out with the Jones Spaceframe Plus 23" LWB (a Jones small) so I ordered one and the size was at last right for me.

I have been planning to sale this bike because of my hand pain.

But I phoned Jones Bike's last week and talked to Jeff, he thinks I have my setup wrong and is waiting on photos of me riding her.

So I rebuild her over the weekend and plan to go riding a few more times and get a few photos for Jeff to check out my fit.

I have learned about bike fitting standard designed bike's!

But a Jones are different and I have made a lot of mistakes

Like my handlebars being too low, Saddle too far forward, etc

I'm up to leaning about comfort
    Last edited by NZPeterG; 04-22-2018 at 09:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    i recently added a Jones Loop bar to my hybrid bike and love it. it made me research and binge-watch Jones bike videos. I like the "doing it different than everyone else because it is better" approach.

I have a fatbike for snow and mild-MTB and a hybrid for pavement and gravellish type riding. My dream is to have one bike that does it all. I kind of see how a Jones bike could do that. some questions:

1. For the ones that use only one bike, do you have different wheelsets for off-road and pavement riding? Most pictures i see have minor-knobby tires. I assume they are a compromise between pavement and off-road. Or did you find a tire that rolls well on pavement, and works well enough off-road? On my hybrid i have 2" Schwalbe allmotion, which roll very easily on pavement. I understand wide tires can have lower rolling resistance, it is the tread and rubber compound that make the difference. But similar tires wouldn't be great in looser sand etc. no matter how wide.

2. if you have separate wheelsets, do you use a fat front tire for the off-road set? I envision to use 29+ front and rear, but understand Jones recommends a fat front (which would be cumbersome on pavement)

3. For off-road it seems the space frame is better (better standover, and the rear has some geometric suspension). Would there be a disadvantage to use the space-frame for what i normally do with my hybrid? Only downside I see is lack of space for a large triangle-frame bag.

4. Some people here have multiple Jones bikes. Do you use the unicrown version for more paved paths, and the space frame for a more off-road bike? this kind of would against my idea of having just one bike, though.

5. Does the truss-fork have advantages outside of off-road? My understanding is it is stiffer sideways (noodles less) and withstands hard braking better - both not necessarily needed for touring/pavement riding. I like the look of being different.

6. does someone use the Jones in snow and possibly came from a fatbike? I understand the front still could use a 4.8" (or only 4"?) tire, but the rear is limited to 3.25" compared to 4.8" that I have now. I just don't know if outside of deep snow that matters with studded tires. On somewhat compacted snow it should not be that important, but never tried. Once snow is more than a few inches, I can't ride anyway.

Thanks
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
    i recently added a Jones Loop bar to my hybrid bike and love it. it made me research and binge-watch Jones bike videos. I like the "doing it different than everyone else because it is better" approach.

I have a fatbike for snow and mild-MTB and a hybrid for pavement and gravellish type riding. My dream is to have one bike that does it all. I kind of see how a Jones bike could do that. some questions:

1. For the ones that use only one bike, do you have different wheelsets for off-road and pavement riding? Most pictures i see have minor-knobby tires. I assume they are a compromise between pavement and off-road. Or did you find a tire that rolls well on pavement, and works well enough off-road? On my hybrid i have 2" Schwalbe allmotion, which roll very easily on pavement. I understand wide tires can have lower rolling resistance, it is the tread and rubber compound that make the difference. But similar tires wouldn't be great in looser sand etc. no matter how wide.

2. if you have separate wheelsets, do you use a fat front tire for the off-road set? I envision to use 29+ front and rear, but understand Jones recommends a fat front (which would be cumbersome on pavement)

3. For off-road it seems the space frame is better (better standover, and the rear has some geometric suspension). Would there be a disadvantage to use the space-frame for what i normally do with my hybrid? Only downside I see is lack of space for a large triangle-frame bag.

4. Some people here have multiple Jones bikes. Do you use the unicrown version for more paved paths, and the space frame for a more off-road bike? this kind of would against my idea of having just one bike, though.

5. Does the truss-fork have advantages outside of off-road? My understanding is it is stiffer sideways (noodles less) and withstands hard braking better - both not necessarily needed for touring/pavement riding. I like the look of being different.

6. does someone use the Jones in snow and possibly came from a fatbike? I understand the front still could use a 4.8" (or only 4"?) tire, but the rear is limited to 3.25" compared to 4.8" that I have now. I just don't know if outside of deep snow that matters with studded tires. On somewhat compacted snow it should not be that important, but never tried. Once snow is more than a few inches, I can't ride anyway.

Thanks
    I assume you are looking at the LWB Jones since you mention wanting to use 29+ front and rear. This does change the answers I would give somewhat regarding tyres. I have a fair amount of time on a steel 29 (SWB) spaceframe and a steel LWB Plus and so would like to think I have a fair idea on how I would set them up.

1. It depends how much road riding you are planning on doing. If it was only a few miles to a trailhead or linking up sections of gravel/singletrack then I would just use the off road wheelset. If I was going to use either version of the bike for tens/hundreds of miles of tarmac then I'd look at fitting slicks. I had a quick ride on a Jones 29 with this setup a while ago and it seemed surprisingly fast. For trail riding I generally use something fast rolling as a rear tyre (e.g. WTB Ranger or a Maxxis Ikon) and something with some grip as a front tyre (Minion DHF or similar). For gravel I'd consider fast rolling tyres front and rear.

2. When I bought my LWB Plus, Jeff recommended not to use a fat front tyre as it isn't really necessary (unlike on the original 29 bike where he did recommend a fat front). I'd agree with this as while I think the fat front works really well on the Jones 29, I've never really missed it on the Plus/LWB.

3. I don't think there would be any real disadvantage beyond the frame bag you've noted. The only minor point may be that if we are talking about steel frames, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the spaceframe is slightly heavier than the diamond but can't find this on the website anymore.

5. Conversely, I think that same blog post said that the truss fork is lighter than the unicrown fork by 100 g or so. It was several years ago so I'm not sure if this is still true for the new unicrown forks.

6. I've only commuted on snow, so I can't really answer this.

mtbr member
    Nothing 'wrong' with a non spaceframe for off-road

My LWB Plus I use as an all-rounder - XC, off/on-road (80/20)

Does a great job. Supremely comfortable

Crux Duro 3.25 front (great roller and in fact great all rounder) and 3" Chronicle in the rear 11PSi front, 12 rear (89Kg's)

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by morphosity View Post
    I assume you are looking at the LWB Jones since you mention wanting to use 29+ front and rear. This does change the answers I would give somewhat regarding tyres. I have a fair amount of time on a steel 29 (SWB) spaceframe and a steel LWB Plus and so would like to think I have a fair idea on how I would set them up.

1. It depends how much road riding you are planning on doing. If it was only a few miles to a trailhead or linking up sections of gravel/singletrack then I would just use the off road wheelset. If I was going to use either version of the bike for tens/hundreds of miles of tarmac then I'd look at fitting slicks. I had a quick ride on a Jones 29 with this setup a while ago and it seemed surprisingly fast. For trail riding I generally use something fast rolling as a rear tyre (e.g. WTB Ranger or a Maxxis Ikon) and something with some grip as a front tyre (Minion DHF or similar). For gravel I'd consider fast rolling tyres front and rear.

2. When I bought my LWB Plus, Jeff recommended not to use a fat front tyre as it isn't really necessary (unlike on the original 29 bike where he did recommend a fat front). I'd agree with this as while I think the fat front works really well on the Jones 29, I've never really missed it on the Plus/LWB.

3. I don't think there would be any real disadvantage beyond the frame bag you've noted. The only minor point may be that if we are talking about steel frames, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the spaceframe is slightly heavier than the diamond but can't find this on the website anymore.

5. Conversely, I think that same blog post said that the truss fork is lighter than the unicrown fork by 100 g or so. It was several years ago so I'm not sure if this is still true for the new unicrown forks.

6. I've only commuted on snow, so I can't really answer this.
    Thanks for the thorough reply.
    Yes i was thinking of the long-wheel base 29+.
    the one day i just ride on pavement (around the city etc.), the other day longer distances and daytoures that only have pavement until I leave the city and gravel the rest. That i do with my hybrid. The next day I go on single tracks (nothing crazy) or some construction sites nearby. That i do with my fatbike.
    It probably is hard to find a tire that is 100% suitable for pavement and off-road.

On the fat front tire, that must have been an older Jones interview I listened to (before the plus came out). Having 3.25" front-rear would make things easier.

Nothing 'wrong' with a non spaceframe for off-road

My LWB Plus I use as an all-rounder - XC, off/on-road (80/20)

Does a great job. Supremely comfortable

Crux Duro 3.25 front (great roller and in fact great all rounder) and 3" Chronicle in the rear 11PSi front, 12 rear (89Kg's)
    I read great reviews on those tires. Only downside they are not rated for tubeless? I'm not that close to actually buying one that I need tire specifics :-) and more tires become tubeless every day.

mtbr member
    Crux runs tubeless fine ('anything' can be ran tubeless )

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    this may be the best forum to ask: I bought the H-Bar Pack for $64, which is an improved version of the $98 Pack. At least it seems to be flatter to be able to use all hand positions.

I can use all hand positions with it, but for the life of it I can't deal with the fact that my fingers always rub against the bag (and once it is full, it will be worse). i even used the longer straps to suspend the top 1" below the to of the handlebar, but it still bothers me. Once i take the bag off I can freely use all handpositins. the handlebar is still new to me, so i switch positions around a lot. but with the bag installed the "aero" and the "climbing" positions are odd due to the touching of the bag.

Am I doing this wrong, or is this just the way it is? Anyone else have experience with those bags? I'm about to give up and sell it on CL (at a loss).

mtbr member
    Has JJ changed the BB shell design (to a split shell with external bolt clamp)?

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...15&oe=5C0EBFD9

mtbr member
    Has JJ changed the BB shell design (to a split shell with external bolt clamp)?

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...15&oe=5C0EBFD9
    Hi
    Yes he has.
    Jeff is always looking for Improvements and a new BB is one of those.
    If you look up his blog feel fine mention about it on the short wheel base Plus

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    What sort of studded tires exist for the 29"x3.25? I currently have a fatbike and for 26"x4.8"i can find dozens of studded tires. but for 29" it seems 2.1 is the widest. Obviously this would be a big downgrade.
    Or do you guys in the snow just use a fatbike on the side to the Jones?
    Due to ice, un-studdded tires isn't an option here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    After eyeing Jones bikes and following threads like these, my ancient Salsa El Mariachi finally put up the white flag. I've been replacing bits for years but actually ripped the crank off Thursday. We've been loyal to each other for more than a decade, but it's time for me to accept its surrender.

I'm ready to try a Jones, but can't quite get my head around which one. The discussions ever report that they are the "one-bike" to rule them all, but there's more than one! I understand there are nuances and that's what I'm trying to sort out. First off, I did my homework with the EM more than 10 years ago and it let me enjoy riding for a long time. I'm keen on Jones because it feels like another long partnership.

So, which one?

My typical ride is up and back my local fire trail: Eaton Canyon in Pasadena. It's almost a 10% grade for the first three miles and then 8% up to the summit of Mt Wilson at 10 miles. On a day to day basis, that's the trail I'll spend much of my time on.

When I have more time, there's a ton of variations nearby, but I still like fire trail and moderate single track. I like covering ground more than technical stuff.

Then there's the aspirational next steps. More longer rides. I've done a bunch of 100+ milers road riding and want to migrate to trails, to go explore all the great scenery along the coastal foothills in CA, the deserts in UT and AZ, and the high country in CO. Maybe some bikepacking, maybe I'll put the AZT or Leadville would my goals for next year.

I've read through a lot of different threads and I couldn't quite settle on them with regard to finding the "Aha!" moment of "There it is, I need X!" So, I thought I'd stop lurking and join the conversation.

Goals: a Jones bike to help me enjoy the training rides on my steep local fire trails, so that I can start committing to bigger adventures. I gather the AZT will not be an easy firetrail ride, so I don't want a bike that will hurt me there, but realistically need to build a bike for the riding I do, not the fantasy stuff I might do later. I do love reading about the best TDR dream rigs, but I'll worry about that set up if I find myself knocking off these others.

Thanks for the accumulated wisdom to date. I'm curious about your opinions. I've got an email into Jeff, but it's a big purchase and want to make a good one. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I can't see any reason not to get the Plus/LWB for you.

I had an original Plus model, and I found it very comfortable and capable. The long wheelbase is amazing for technical climbing, and it steered well with the long rake fork. On the road, it felt surprisingly fast. It was comfortable going fast or slow, which is a trick few bikes can match. What I didn't like about it, and what I haven't liked about any 29+ bike I've ridden, is the heavy feel of the front wheel when I'm flicking it through tight turns. There's just too much inertia there. I sold my Jones Plus, I regret that at times, but the new SWB has me really tempted. I'm just waiting for the simpler/cheaper unicrown framesets to be available in my size. And hopefully not in black.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRaceCarDriver View Post
    After eyeing Jones bikes and following threads like these, my ancient Salsa El Mariachi finally put up the white flag. I've been replacing bits for years but actually ripped the crank off Thursday. We've been loyal to each other for more than a decade, but it's time for me to accept its surrender.

I'm ready to try a Jones, but can't quite get my head around which one. The discussions ever report that they are the "one-bike" to rule them all, but there's more than one! I understand there are nuances and that's what I'm trying to sort out. First off, I did my homework with the EM more than 10 years ago and it let me enjoy riding for a long time. I'm keen on Jones because it feels like another long partnership.

So, which one?

My typical ride is up and back my local fire trail: Eaton Canyon in Pasadena. It's almost a 10% grade for the first three miles and then 8% up to the summit of Mt Wilson at 10 miles. On a day to day basis, that's the trail I'll spend much of my time on.

When I have more time, there's a ton of variations nearby, but I still like fire trail and moderate single track. I like covering ground more than technical stuff.

Then there's the aspirational next steps. More longer rides. I've done a bunch of 100+ milers road riding and want to migrate to trails, to go explore all the great scenery along the coastal foothills in CA, the deserts in UT and AZ, and the high country in CO. Maybe some bikepacking, maybe I'll put the AZT or Leadville would my goals for next year.

I've read through a lot of different threads and I couldn't quite settle on them with regard to finding the "Aha!" moment of "There it is, I need X!" So, I thought I'd stop lurking and join the conversation.

Goals: a Jones bike to help me enjoy the training rides on my steep local fire trails, so that I can start committing to bigger adventures. I gather the AZT will not be an easy firetrail ride, so I don't want a bike that will hurt me there, but realistically need to build a bike for the riding I do, not the fantasy stuff I might do later. I do love reading about the best TDR dream rigs, but I'll worry about that set up if I find myself knocking off these others.

Thanks for the accumulated wisdom to date. I'm curious about your opinions. I've got an email into Jeff, but it's a big purchase and want to make a good one. Thanks.
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    I can't see any reason not to get the Plus/LWB for you.

I had an original Plus model, and I found it very comfortable and capable. The long wheelbase is amazing for technical climbing, and it steered well with the long rake fork. On the road, it felt surprisingly fast. It was comfortable going fast or slow, which is a trick few bikes can match. What I didn't like about it, and what I haven't liked about any 29+ bike I've ridden, is the heavy feel of the front wheel when I'm flicking it through tight turns. There's just too much inertia there. I sold my Jones Plus, I regret that at times, but the new SWB has me really tempted. I'm just waiting for the simpler/cheaper unicrown framesets to be available in my size. And hopefully not in black.
    Good feedbak

What do you think you would get from the SWB you couldn't from the LWB?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thank you both.

As for the hesitation, it's been the enthusiasm for both bikes that's muddied the water for me. If both really can do it all, maybe the smaller bike is better. This is a holdover from years of road riding and from the steep riding I now do regularly. I've let go a bit of the focus on weight -- my road rig is steel with 41mm tires and I love it for the long riding I like. But I don't want my MTB to feel like I got the cruiser version, only then to have it feel like more like a tank after a couple of hours going up 9% grades.

An friend of mine was a professional MTBer and just can't stop pushing for more whiz-bang kits. And, maybe he's gotten in my head. LWB seems like the right call.

Now space frame or diamond? My long-attraction to Jones from afar wants me to jump in with both feet and go full-on non-traditional and try the spaceframe/truss combo.

Again, thanks.

weekend warrior
    You answerd the question yourself there. Get the spaceframe and truss fork.

If you donít you will be wondering (wishing?) looking over your shoulder the whole time whether you should have.

I went for it and have no regrets.

Enjoy!!
    Common sense was never common

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenz43 View Post
    You answerd the question yourself there. Get the spaceframe and truss fork.

If you donít you will be wondering (wishing?) looking over your shoulder the whole time whether you should have.

I went for it and have no regrets.

Enjoy!!
    And this is why I have been lurking not participating, so many enablers among you! All I had to do is wait 30 minutes to get the evidence I needed to show my wife. "See? The world's leading experts agree! I need the funny looking frame and, yes, that is called a truss. I need it too."

I just wanted to pipe up after following you all for a while. It's great to have the support still. I'll keep you posted and let you know what Jeff thinks after I find him, but for now it's a LWB space frame.

Any complaints?

I'll be back.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hello Again,

I just reread my note and hope it didn't come across badly. I mean enablers in the best way possible. I've been wanting to do this for a while and just wanted to hear if I was missing something. seat_boy, bonesetter and lenz, I do appreciate the vote in favor. Thank you.

The joke had an element of truth in it. My wife is happy with me buying a good bike, she knows how much use I'll get out of it, but I think when the total bill comes in, it'll seem steep. I will be able to tell her honestly I did my homework. But, again, if it's at all close to the bike I think it'll be, I'll get a lot of good miles on it and it'll be it's pennies per mile.

Once again, I am sorry if that last note was tone deaf. I hope to have some good news soon.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Based on my experience with non-Jones B+ bikes vs. 29+, I find the B+ quite a bit more fun on my trails: still cushy, grippy, and confidence inspiring, but much easier to weave through the trees with.

Good feedbak

What do you think you would get from the SWB you couldn't from the LWB?

mtbr member
    Based on my experience with non-Jones B+ bikes vs. 29+, I find the B+ quite a bit more fun on my trails: still cushy, grippy, and confidence inspiring, but much easier to weave through the trees with.
    Haha
    A Jones LWB is not your normal 29+.

I have had a Jones 29 (now known as SWB) which was a great bike.

But I love my Jones LWB Spaceframe 23" a lot more!
    It's the fastest turning bike I have rode since 1985, Jeff did his magic with the way it rides.
    Fast turning at low speeds and super stable at high speeds.

Do not look at the figures, just phone up Jeff and ask him.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZPeterG View Post
    Haha

It's the fastest turning bike I have rode since 1985, Jeff did his magic with the way it rides.

Have to agree completely there - one must disregard individual categories with Jones' bikes

mtbr member
    I owned a Jones Plus, so I have a lot of experience with it. It turns better than many other 29+ bikes, but it's still fighting the inertia of the big tire. For me, I think the SWB would solve those problems.

Haha

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi folks. I'm trying to figure out if I want a SWB or LWB Jones frame. I've been trying to read as much as possible about the bike but cannot come to a conclusion.

My inputs:
    -I love the curves of the spaceframe. If I'm going to put a chunk of cash into a frame, why not make it something completely different? There is no LWB spaceframe (that I can afford) and this is where my decision lies- is the LWB worth not getting a spaceframe?
    - The first ~2 years of ownership I will probably be commuting on it almost exclusively. My commute is ~15 miles RT per day and I try to ride in all weather. I'm on roads/bike paths for most of the commute but have some dirt options in the summertime. There is a fair bit of salt exposure in the winter.
    - Once I move back to the US I'll be commuting on dirt trails and dirt roads in Flagstaff so I will also be MTBing as much as possible.
    - I haven't bikepacked but it is something I could see myself enjoying once back in AZ.

What are the prevailing thoughts on LWB vs. SWB? When I read (and re-read) the description on the Jones site I can see benefits to both and thus cannot make a decision.

-bustin punks
    Sounds like you want the space frame. Get the space frame - and don't look back. I know that when I was looking, had I settled for the diamond - I always would have been "looking" still. It gets comments everywhere, and it's different. I like different. I rode and loved Slingshots for many years FWIW.

My (pre SWB/LWB) 29er spaceframe fits 27.5x3 up front and 27.5x2.8 out back. Plenty of tire for me at 5'9" tall - and the new SWB solidly fits 3.0s front and rear. You do give up a little bit in terms of in the frame storage...

mtbr member
    New jones complete, karate monkey, or ?

I am close to just ordering the new jones complete but it doesnít look as different on geo as the LWB. Is it still going to be a comfortable less weight on the hands ride? After reading that jones sticks to his talking points I figured Iíd post the question here.

I was hit by a car on my Fargo a couple years back and have tried the ECR and then a Mukluk trying to get a comfortable ride. My back and shoulders havenít been the same since getting hit and I just never feel comfortable on the bike anymore. I wanted a Jones before I got my Fargo but the cost was a bit high for me. The new complete seems like a great option! The 29+ on the ECR didnít sell me (Iím sure the Jones 29+ is different) I ride a decent bit of rocky tech terrain as well as long fire road rides. Havenít ridden 27.5+ but I think it might be the right choice. I do have a 29+ rear wheel with some other parts and the 135 spaced frames are on sale. So it wouldnít be much more to do that, just not sure I want the 142 front or the wagon wheels again.

Any opinions welcome, thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Went ahead and ordered the new complete swb. Fingers crossed it will be as comfortable as I hope!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fatchanceti View Post
    Sounds like you want the space frame. Get the space frame - and don't look back. I know that when I was looking, had I settled for the diamond - I always would have been "looking" still. It gets comments everywhere, and it's different. I like different. I rode and loved Slingshots for many years FWIW.

My (pre SWB/LWB) 29er spaceframe fits 27.5x3 up front and 27.5x2.8 out back. Plenty of tire for me at 5'9" tall - and the new SWB solidly fits 3.0s front and rear. You do give up a little bit in terms of in the frame storage...
    Thanks fatchanceti. That is exactly the type of input I'm looking for.

puts the FU in fun
    Quote Originally Posted by RFrahm View Post
    Went ahead and ordered the new complete swb. Fingers crossed it will be as comfortable as I hope!
    I'm going to order one as well as soon as I get the funds freed up. Please do post a review once you've spent some time on it.
    Everything in moderation. Including moderation.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Love mine... owned many bikes in my 72 years, currently have a YT Jeffsy 29 AL Comp w/ Jones SG 2.5 Aluminum Loop H-bar's, and a Waterford X22 Monstercross, hands down, Jones Steel 23" Spaceframe Plus is about as good as it gets, currently running Schwalbe G-One's 29x2.35 and it fly's, you can just throw it in the hole with me when I'm gone...
    Happy Trails...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jones (Jeff Jones)-img_0550.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CuzinMike View Post
    I'm going to order one as well as soon as I get the funds freed up. Please do post a review once you've spent some time on it.
    Will do! Itís showing delivery Monday so Iím sure by the end of the week I will have enough miles on it to give an opinion.

mtbr member
    Got the Jones complete SWB on Tuesday and put it together. So far just a couple short rides around because the smoke is so bad here but so far I love the way it rides! The geo feels different that any other bikes I have tried in a good way for me. I will post more details after I get a real ride in. So far I want to keep riding it and thatís something I canít say for the last couple bikes I tried. Not sure about the brakes yet but I will keep trying to bed them in.

two tired
    Got the Jones complete SWB on Tuesday and put it together. So far just a couple short rides around because the smoke is so bad here but so far I love the way it rides! The geo feels different that any other bikes I have tried in a good way for me. I will post more details after I get a real ride in. So far I want to keep riding it and thatÔŅĹs something I canÔŅĹt say for the last couple bikes I tried. Not sure about the brakes yet but I will keep trying to bed them in.
    Where are you? Seattle here. That sounds like my story. Got my Jones SWB last week, put it together, tooled around the negihboorhood, but hoping the smoke will dissipate enough to let me get 30-40 miles on it tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nullman View Post
    Where are you? Seattle here. That sounds like my story. Got my Jones SWB last week, put it together, tooled around the negihboorhood, but hoping the smoke will dissipate enough to let me get 30-40 miles on it tomorrow.
    Iím in Packwood. Only been able to put about 20mi on it now but taking it easy with this air quality. The bike goes exactly where I point it, no twitchy feeling at all so far. Most stable bike at low speed Iíve ever ridden but handles quickly at speed! So far I am very happy with it. I do an an xt front brake and rotor on the way though because I canít get the power I like out of the stock one. Also the stock front rotor was a bit warped. Smoke has been getting worse so far but fingers crossed we get some rain over the weekend.

-bustin punks
    Selling my green steel 29er spaceframe, as a complete or with the 27.5+ wheels shown (asking $2k). Let me know and I can redirect you towards more photos or info...

EDIT: SOLD

Shimano 1x10 clutched
    650 carbon H bar
    Avid and TRP mechanical brakes, 180mm rotors
    Mulefut 50 rims, Shimano XT rear, Hope front hub

includes bag shown and I'll even throw in a couple of extra 27.5+ tires.
    Last edited by fatchanceti; 08-24-2018 at 12:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatchanceti View Post
    Selling my green steel 29er spaceframe, as a complete or with the 27.5+ wheels shown (asking $2k). Let me know and I can redirect you towards more photos or info...

Shimano 1x10 clutched
    650 carbon H bar
    Avid and TRP mechanical brakes, 180mm rotors
    Mulefut 50 rims, Shimano XT rear, Hope front hub

includes bag shown and I'll even throw in a couple of extra 27.5+ tires.
    If I hadnít just bought the complete bike Iíd have jumped on this! Always the way...

mtbr member

Good job!

Jones (Jeff Jones)-1cfb85ae-ea51-4ad5-9d59-ced3c459d086.jpg

Loving this bike more and more! My neighbor rode it for a little while and said it was the most comfortable bike heíd ever ridden. Came back and ordered some h-bars right away. Weíll see how long before the bike shows up...

two tired
    This is my review on the Jones website:
    I've been hip to the wizardry coming from Jeff Jones for about fifteen years. I mounted a pair his original titanium H-hars on my 1X1, and they transmogrified that bike. I've watched his magnificent bicycles evolve from piecework to production frames to production bicycles. If this were linear algebra, the lines would converge at "Buy This Now"... So, I did. I spoke with Jeff about fit and sizing, and was directed to the medium size for my 6'1", 32 inch inseam. I have waited until I have ridden some miles on this bike to review it; I was not disappointed. Sixty miles, divided between a gravel grinder and an urban trail session, have given me an unsatiated appetite for more miles on this bike.

The build: Everything is done right. Choices in kit support the Jones philosophy, reliability, and robustness. It's obvious to me that this is a builder's bike, not an exercise in price-point compromises. The bike is striking in it's beautifully curated blackness, absent superfluous logos. Small things like abundant braze-ons, removable-core tubes, and tubeless-ready rim tape don't go unnoticed. To be fair, I'm a big Clydesdale, and almost 300 mm of unsupported no-name seatpost failed to inspire confidence. I swapped it for a Thomson and a Clyde-wide saddle.

The ride: The angles are slack, the cockpit short, the weight biases towards the back tire. It feels strange, deliciously so. I am reminded of both a 1940's Schwinn and the English 3-speeds I have owned. In my hours in the saddle, I have found myself crouching over the bars, only to remember to slide my hands aft and sit UP. This upright posture is kind to the lumbar and redirects your gaze forward, far beyond the few feet in front of your tire. Spinning in this posture feels almost like striding in seven-league boots, and I swear there's another gear in sitting up and being able to breathe so deeply. Nimble, yet stable, climbs like a goat, inspires out-of-the-saddle dancing on the pedals.

Fun. To. Ride.

There are mountain bikes that people still talk about forty years later. I believe this will be one of those bikes.

two tired
    That looks about like my seatpost. Sooo much bare metal makes me nervous. I swapped the no-name post for a thomson. What are you running? Nice buncha kit! So fun to ride!

two tired
    Some pix

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    That looks about like my seatpost. Sooo much bare metal makes me nervous. I swapped the no-name post for a thomson. What are you running? Nice buncha kit! So fun to ride!
    Iím still running the sock post. I trust itís strong due to the fact it weighs a ton.. I swapped the front brake to an xt and pulled the tubes for tubeless (easy setup, rims are identical to my old scrapers). Otherwise itís stock. Loving it and agree that it just begs to be ridden ore miles! Iím saving for a sweetpost with a bit of extra setback, unless I find the 25mm Thomson.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

broken ti Mones space frame

Jones (Jeff Jones)-img_0718-1.jpg

Hi all you Jones riders, as you can see my Jones is broken at the seat tube. I contacted Jeff about it but he is not going to repair it for me..

So does anyone from you know perhaps a good ti welder that can do the job? Preferably in my county, The Netherlands or Europe.

Thanks
    Ridin ridin ridin..... raw ti!

poser Administrator
    I am just going to drop back in here and report on my jones. I have a 6 year old Jones diamond with truss fork steel bike. I have been riding it since 2012, first in AZ then in Washington.

A recent bike accident on my commuter has driven me to use the jones for both mountain bike and commuting duties in seattle. I have a fat front and a 29er front so I picked up a cheap 29er rear from performance and swapped on a set of 700x42C Schwable G-ones and have been commuting. Aside from the way too low mountain biking specific single ring i have up front I find that it is a very competent commuter. The Jones bar really performs well for commuting purposes.

However every time I head out off road I am always surprised at how amazing this bike is. With my current Surly Nate/Panaracer rampage set up it is so good on trails. I love the nate for Skinnies and teeter totter things, a little extra width never is not wanted and I love the bike on the skinnies, the fast technicals, the slow technicals and the jumps. Just an all around great bike for whatever the trail throws at you.

I am seriously considering just slapping fenders on for the winter commute and just enjoying this bike all year. I can't recommend this bike enough for those that a rigid all mountain bike is the thing that gets you going.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

weekend warrior
    Ouch,

Contact Roy from 11-Ants bikes in Schoorl, they are developing some amazing Ti welding capability right here in the Netherlands just now.

enjoy!!
    Common sense was never common

two tired

Hey...

Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I am just going to drop back in here and report on my jones. I have a 6 year old Jones diamond with truss fork steel bike. I have been riding it since 2012, first in AZ then in Washington.

Hey, did I honk at you the other day, down on Alaska Way? Prius with a plus SWB on the rack (see above)
    T

poser Administrator
    Hey, did I honk at you the other day, down on Alaska Way? Prius with a plus SWB on the rack (see above)
    T
    yup that was me.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

two tired
    Sweet! Small world.

poser Administrator
    Sweet! Small world.
    certainly when you ride such a specific and unique bike it definitely gets smaller. I definitely recommend getting your Jones out to Duthie and working it out out there, if you haven't yet. So many things to try and see how it performs. I love riding it out there a lot. Love dropping in off some of the skinnies on the trails, in a small way makes me feel like I am riding it in a way that Jeff would approve of.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

puts the FU in fun
    Another Jones complete SWB on its way to me. I ordered the L (25") since I'm 6'4" and have a 36" inseam. Looking forward to receiving it soon!

two tired
    certainly when you ride such a specific and unique bike it definitely gets smaller. I definitely recommend getting your Jones out to Duthie and working it out out there, if you haven't yet. So many things to try and see how it performs. I love riding it out there a lot. Love dropping in off some of the skinnies on the trails, in a small way makes me feel like I am riding it in a way that Jeff would approve of.
    I'm gonna pull it together and go ride an extended Thrilla today. I haven't been to Duthie in a few years. But I shall!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hello again!

I dropped in a couple of weeks ago to ask about details. After finally letting go of a bike I'd nursed through many repairs, I finally was ready to get a Jones. I posted with some basic questions about the LWB vs the SWB and also about diamond v. space frame. In the end I went with the LWB diamond in steel/steel truss. Jeff agreed with the choice and walked me through some options. I placed the order a bit more than three weeks ago.

The bike showed up yesterday and I had my first trail ride in today. It was great. It rides wonderfully. I'll agree with a lot of the posts in here. After reading so many other reviews, I wanted to post one as well. But the best way would have been to leave a picture on my face after arriving back to the trail head...deep satisfaction. I could leave a detailed analysis of the elements (and I like reading those), but none of the individual characteristics do them justice.

I had planned to ride up 1700 of climbing over about 3 miles on my local fire trail. I got there and we -- the bike and I -- just wanted to keep riding. We went up further until I ran out of plausible excuses for being late to dinner.

I went as fast as I've gone in two years, but rather than gassed at trying to match a PR, I wanted to keep riding. This is why this is going to be a magic bike. It'll take some riding to nail it down, but the positioning and integration make it comfortable and efficient. I'm going to cover a lot of miles and be happy doing it. Money well spent.

If anyone wants a more detailed analysis, let me know. And, if anyone wants to hear more about dealing with Jeff and the Jones folks, also let me know. If brief: bike, builder, and company were all up to high expectations. Jeff helped me set up the ride and I offered to buy a little bit more bling, but he kept asking me why? Basically he asked about my riding and laid out a build that would be great. I asked about a bit here or there and he'd say "You could do that, but it won't change the ride and will cost more." He's a guy who loves riding and seems very much to want to others to feel that way. After my first ride, I'm on the way.

Thanks for those who helped me about my earlier questions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRaceCarDriver View Post
    Hello again!

I dropped in a couple of weeks ago to ask about details. After finally letting go of a bike I'd nursed through many repairs, I finally was ready to get a Jones. I posted with some basic questions about the LWB vs the SWB and also about diamond v. space frame. In the end I went with the LWB diamond in steel/steel truss. Jeff agreed with the choice and walked me through some options. I placed the order a bit more than three weeks ago.

The bike showed up yesterday and I had my first trail ride in today. It was great. It rides wonderfully. I'll agree with a lot of the posts in here. After reading so many other reviews, I wanted to post one as well. But the best way would have been to leave a picture on my face after arriving back to the trail head...deep satisfaction. I could leave a detailed analysis of the elements (and I like reading those), but none of the individual characteristics do them justice.

I had planned to ride up 1700 of climbing over about 3 miles on my local fire trail. I got there and we -- the bike and I -- just wanted to keep riding. We went up further until I ran out of plausible excuses for being late to dinner.

I went as fast as I've gone in two years, but rather than gassed at trying to match a PR, I wanted to keep riding. This is why this is going to be a magic bike. It'll take some riding to nail it down, but the positioning and integration make it comfortable and efficient. I'm going to cover a lot of miles and be happy doing it. Money well spent.

If anyone wants a more detailed analysis, let me know. And, if anyone wants to hear more about dealing with Jeff and the Jones folks, also let me know. If brief: bike, builder, and company were all up to high expectations. Jeff helped me set up the ride and I offered to buy a little bit more bling, but he kept asking me why? Basically he asked about my riding and laid out a build that would be great. I asked about a bit here or there and he'd say "You could do that, but it won't change the ride and will cost more." He's a guy who loves riding and seems very much to want to others to feel that way. After my first ride, I'm on the way.

Thanks for those who helped me about my earlier questions.
    Well said

Enjoy your new ride (bike)

poser Administrator
    anyone running a dropper on their Jones? What are you using and what size? etc.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    anyone running a dropper on their Jones? What are you using and what size? etc.
    Yes- a Thomson with 120mm of drop on a 24" Plus. Well worth having on a trailbike IMO.

poser Administrator
    Yes- a Thomson with 120mm of drop on a 24" Plus. Well worth having on a trailbike IMO.
    is your 24" plus a 27.2 diameter seatpost?

I measured mine this weekend and I think I might only be able to get a 4" drop with the exposed post I currently have. I am considering getting a PNW post perhaps as they have 27.2 posts for gravel bikes. Probably will be adequate.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    is your 24" plus a 27.2 diameter seatpost?

I measured mine this weekend and I think I might only be able to get a 4" drop with the exposed post I currently have. I am considering getting a PNW post perhaps as they have 27.2 posts for gravel bikes. Probably will be adequate.
    Yes, it's a 27.2 diameter post - those PNW posts also look like they would be a good option if they are long enough.

puts the FU in fun
    My SWB complete arrived the Friday before Labor Day weekend, and I was able to get it built up just in time for a late night mixed surface ride with friends, followed by about 50 miles of trail riding over the long weekend.

First impressions: This thing is really comfortable. I mean, I expected that reading everything Iíve read about these bikes, but as a taller rider it sure is nice for once to ride a bike where the bars arenít six inches lower than the saddle. Itís also really confidence inspiring on technical trails. I even set a couple personal records on trails Iíve been riding for over a decade, which is pretty impressive for a bike Iím still getting dialed in.

The only issue Iíve had is with the QR seatpost collar which simply would not keep the post from slipping. I binned it for a Salsa Bead Lock collar.

Next up is to get it set up tubeless, add a dropper and replace the saddle. Overall Iím really impressed with this bike and think Iíll enjoy it for a lot of different types of riding.

Jones (Jeff Jones)-iseuluz.jpg

Ride Everything
    Yes, it's a 27.2 diameter post - those PNW posts also look like they would be a good option if they are long enough.
    I have the 85mm (travel) PNW Pine on my Jones, and it works great.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
    I have the 85mm (travel) PNW Pine on my Jones, and it works great.
    sweet! going from their measurements looks like I can get away with the 105 so I pulled the trigger on that. Thompson post is just too rich for my, well, level of richness.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    May 2005
    re: the Complete SWB- is anyone considering buying and eventually putting a 29er wheelset? Also- does the complete frameset have the ED coating on the inside?

-bustin punks
    Anybody here considering a frame bag for their spaceframe? I no longer have mine, but the new owner didn't want the bag and it's too big for both of my other bikes:

$160 new, this is immaculate - $110 shipped (lower 48)?

two tired

Corrosion protection

Quote Originally Posted by guttmjo View Post
    re: ... Also- does the complete frameset have the ED coating on the inside?
    I was advised that some framesaver /Boeshield would be prudent. HTH

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I am seriously considering just slapping fenders on for the winter commute and just enjoying this bike all year. I can't recommend this bike enough for those that a rigid all mountain bike is the thing that gets you going.
    Do you have a line on fenders to fit? The fenders that Jones had offered are gone and I haven't found a wide enough replacement yet.

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by essjss View Post
    Do you have a line on fenders to fit? The fenders that Jones had offered are gone and I haven't found a wide enough replacement yet.
    I am using temporary fenders from Planet bike: https://www.planetbike.com/store/pro...0c-x-35mm.html

They kinda fit the truss fork, work great on the rear and I can take them off and fit my knobbies when i want to hit the trails.

For my road set up I am using schwable G-One 700x40 tires (I think) and they just tuck under these fenders, for dirt I am using a specialized tire in back (29x2.3 I think) and a surly Nate up front so these fenders would be moot off road for me.

They do tend to bounce more as I am not using a connection at the headtube or the seatstay.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Jones (Jeff Jones)

Although the steel spaceframe SWB looks cool is there really a benefit to it over the diamond frame that is worth the extra money and weight and one less water bottle mount? Iíve seen the video with the strip of tape showing compliance but that is on the ti spaceframe with the ovalized chainstays. Is it the same on the steel spaceframe?

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CGrr View Post
    Although the steel spaceframe SWB looks cool is there really a benefit to it over the diamond frame that is worth the extra money and weight and one less water bottle mount? Iíve seen the video with the strip of tape showing compliance but that is on the ti spaceframe with the ovalized chainstays. Is it the same on the steel spaceframe?
    You know I debated on the spaceframe vs the diamond steel back when I was going to buy one. I don't think there is enough people that have tried both to accurately tell one way or another. I doubt even Jeff could shine light on this. To me it ended up being what you mentioned, cool looks vs. weight and functionality, so I got the diamond with the truss fork.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Still mulling over the SWB complete with its 27.5 wheels. I've been following Jeff's bikes for at least 7 years.. around when the ECR and Knard came out. Prior to the complete, I'd been convinced of the merits of Plus in a 29 size. I've ridden Big Apples in 29x2.3 and 2.0 since back when people were very impressed by their size. Now they don't seem so big! Since the complete bike is a bit of a commitment to the 27.5 standard.. I'm just trying to understand how much I will notice the difference in rollover, in tires of different treads and widths between 2.3 and 3.0.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by guttmjo View Post
    Still mulling over the SWB complete with its 27.5 wheels. I've been following Jeff's bikes for at least 7 years.. around when the ECR and Knard came out. Prior to the complete, I'd been convinced of the merits of Plus in a 29 size. I've ridden Big Apples in 29x2.3 and 2.0 since back when people were very impressed by their size. Now they don't seem so big! Since the complete bike is a bit of a commitment to the 27.5 standard.. I'm just trying to understand how much I will notice the difference in rollover, in tires of different treads and widths between 2.3 and 3.0.
    My 2 cents FWIW:

I thought that the complete bikes, including the 650b wheel spec, ended up as they did because it was what most people have been requesting in build-to-suit bikes. At least that's what he said in the anouncement video. I think people want 650b because it's trendy. And they want plus size because it's smart - but they're under some false illusion that you have to pick one or the other.

The original (?2010 ish when he started mass producing?) bike geometry was originally designed around and optimized for a fat-for-the-day 29er wheel. And the recent SWB Plus geometry/clearance update recognized that the even fatter/taller 29er tires that Jeff ALWAYS wanted and believed to be the right solution now actually exist.

But as you know, a 650b+ tire is NOT the same diameter as a 29 wheel, no matter how much the mainstream industry tries to pretend it is, or how often they paint a misleading "27.5" on sidewalls.

Sure, the bike is versatile and you can compensate for the smaller wheels by rotating the bottom bracket upwards to raise it, and by adding shims at the underside of the headtube to increase trail (actually, maybe thats only possible with the truss fork ) - but, unless someone is under 5'-8" or so, I don't know why they would.

I have 29◊3 on an older, pre-swb designated frame. I assume (but don't know for sure) that the newer frames have more clearance. Jeff legally has to be conservative about what he claims will fit, so don't press him, but I'd poke around and see what others have done. To me, there just wouldn't seem to be any downside to using 29+. Lots of upside though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CGrr View Post
    Steel space frame gains a TON of compliance. Just like the ti video, but more weight/impact required to effectuate it.

That said, the biggest reason to pick the spacefame would be standover clearance. If you mostly ride casual trails, it's proably not worth it. If you use it on technical rides in the places that most people think they need full suspension, it can't be overstated how nice that clearance is to have. Totally boosts your confidence and encourages you to ride (or attempt to ride) things you otherwise wouldn't.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I am using temporary fenders from Planet bike: https://www.planetbike.com/store/pro...0c-x-35mm.html

They kinda fit the truss fork, work great on the rear and I can take them off and fit my knobbies when i want to hit the trails.

For my road set up I am using schwable G-One 700x40 tires (I think) and they just tuck under these fenders, for dirt I am using a specialized tire in back (29x2.3 I think) and a surly Nate up front so these fenders would be moot off road for me.

They do tend to bounce more as I am not using a connection at the headtube or the seatstay.
    I was doing some more searching today and came across these:

https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/bluemels-75-u/

They aren't available yet but I'll give them a hard look in the coming weeks when they are released.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Is there a reason the Steel space frame LWB is only available in small size? the larger sizes are only available in SWB (which doesn't allow 29+). It couldn't be a geometry limitation since the Ti version LWB spaceframe is available in all sizes.

Are those SWB models going away? It seems Jeff is a fan of long wheelbase and 29+ tires, so the SWB seems to work against that (i have no idea how sales break down). To me it seems this small company with basically one bike has too many variations.
    On the other hand the complete bike came out as an SWB. That makes me think SWB is a big seller since he started with SWB?

Does anyone know if there is a aluminum version planned?

mtbr member
    Just speculation on my part, but this is the internet, so that won't stop me:

- Maybe the steel space frames aren't selling as well? Or maybe the bigger frames just get too heavy in steel and spaceframe.

- I don't think the SWB models are going anywhere, especially since Jeff just committed to the completes in SWB. My guess is these are more mainstream acceptable than the LWB, sort of an entry drug into the Jones world. I talked to him about the SWB model at one point, and he mentioned many customers end up with both.

- No idea for an aluminum frame. If you want a long wheelbase aluminum 29+ bike, there's always the bikesdirect models. About the price of a Jones wheel for the complete bike!

Is there a reason the Steel space frame LWB is only available in small size? the larger sizes are only available in SWB (which doesn't allow 29+). It couldn't be a geometry limitation since the Ti version LWB spaceframe is available in all sizes.

Are those SWB models going away? It seems Jeff is a fan of long wheelbase and 29+ tires, so the SWB seems to work against that (i have no idea how sales break down). To me it seems this small company with basically one bike has too many variations.
    On the other hand the complete bike came out as an SWB. That makes me think SWB is a big seller since he started with SWB?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Just speculation on my part, but this is the internet, so that won't stop me:

- Maybe the steel space frames aren't selling as well? Or maybe the bigger frames just get too heavy in steel and spaceframe.

- I don't think the SWB models are going anywhere, especially since Jeff just committed to the completes in SWB. My guess is these are more mainstream acceptable than the LWB, sort of an entry drug into the Jones world. I talked to him about the SWB model at one point, and he mentioned many customers end up with both.

- No idea for an aluminum frame. If you want a long wheelbase aluminum 29+ bike, there's always the bikesdirect models. About the price of a Jones wheel for the complete bike!
    I'm sure jones has it figured out based on actual sales numbers. He may like the 29+ better, but his customers may not. I like to avoid buying one, and then another :-)
    I have a fatbike, so I'm a sucker (and believer) for bigger tires.

I actually thought of getting a second 29+ wheelset for my fatbike (ironically similar to the one you linked, just a bit higher in the foodchain). My concern is that I still would not get the other geometry advantages of the Jones. and I'm a 1x drivetrain fan. So finding gearing that works well for deep snow and other fatbiking and for the faster bikepath will be hard and expensive to impossible. So I think I'm better off just building a new Jones.

I'm kind of thinking either spaceframe for off-road, or the unicrown for touring/riding and some mild offroad. Diamond frame / trussfork bike is kind of between.
    I'm 6' and don't have $ for Ti, so the spaceframe is out for me.

too many choices....

Regarding steel, the diamondframe steel bike would be about 2kg heavier than an Al bike with CF fork (I currently have). I'm not a weight weenie, but spending a lot of money to gain that much weight doesn't' sit right with me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

I posted a similar question on the Jones Instagram page and Jeff responded to call him for more info. When I did he explained the different design details of the original spaceframe and how the Ti bike required the spaceframe geometry to achieve the vertical compliance that was desired. The steel LWB diamond frames get to a similar level of compliance without the spaceframe geometry so he said that there isn't currrently any plan to implement that frame into production. I think the added weight of the design in steel would also be a limiting factor. That said, I'd still be interested in a LWB spaceframe (I just love the curves) in something cheaper than Ti. I'm not sure what that would be though.

two tired
    I took advantage of what might be the last nice day in 2018 to take the Jones out again. I've put almost 1K miles on it since I got it in August. Rode Grand Ridge to Duthie and back. Tooled about at Duthie for a while, but not a big fan of the ruts and holes that gonzo suspended riders create with locked brakes. Grand Ridge was way more flowy.

Good climbing day - 2700 feet of vertical.

Coming back up Gr. Ridge, I passed several dudes on the climb. A few minutes later, I warned a rider coming down that there were three guys behind me. I added that I passed them, cuz... well, cuz, I'm a doughy old guy.

He thanked me, but then made a snarky comment about me riding an eBike. WTF?

That wasn't the first time someone thought my Jones was a cheater bike.

Death before dishonor!

mtbr member
    I took advantage of what might be the last nice day in 2018 to take the Jones out again. I've put almost 1K miles on it since I got it in August. Rode Grand Ridge to Duthie and back. Tooled about at Duthie for a while, but not a big fan of the ruts and holes that gonzo suspended riders create with locked brakes. Grand Ridge was way more flowy.

Coming back up Gr. Ridge, I passed several dudes on the climb. A few minutes later, I warned a rider coming down that there were three guys behind me. I added that I passed them, cuz... well, cuz, I'm a doughy old guy.

Death before dishonor!
    Same here in South Korea, people there thought that it's a eBike.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

poser Administrator

Death before dishonor!
    Calling a jones an e-bike. The ultimate insult!
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Calling a jones an e-bike. The ultimate insult!
    JJ Bikes' have weathered many a minor name calling

mtbr member
    Spam--selling a "Tai" diamond unicrown for $1750 plus shipping if anyone's interested.

https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...own-29er&cat=5

And a Jones-built 26" fat front:

https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...26-quot&cat=10

Ryan

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    On the SWB Complete: anybody know how many points of engagement the rear hub has?

I emailed Jones about it but have not heard back.

two tired
    I count 32 clicks in one revolution; no idea how many pawls. HTH

mtbr member

Standover Plus

After realising I needed a little more standover, on UK dealer Biff & Jeff's advice, I went for a size smaller - 25" to a 24" (LWB)

The real world difference is more than the figures (1.5") suggest

If you're wondering I'm a little between sizes when it comes to standover having an ill-proportioned long body, shorter legs. Coming off the saddle my pubic bone would almost be touching the TT and often on the trail on uneven surface there would be some contact - nothing major and never pain

The 24" is more like what would be considered normal. The bike looks more in proportion, with a better amount of seat-post out of the seat-tube. In fact, there is now a further 2" out

Here are a couple of pics which speak for themselves:

Jones (Jeff Jones)-dqfs9he.jpg
    Jones (Jeff Jones)-eynqgif.jpg

two tired
    "an ill-proportioned long body, shorter legs."

What's your inseam?

mtbr member
    "an ill-proportioned long body, shorter legs."

What's your inseam?

About 32"

two tired
    About 32"
    Hmmm. I'm a 32" pants... I got the medium sized SWB complete, but it seems a wee bit small. There's a LOT of seatpost sticking out. TBH, I see a lot of Jonses with tall seatposts, but as I fantasize about my next Jones*, I wonder if I should get a bigger frame. My concerns are mostly esthetics; I'm perched on a Thomson seatpost, and the bike is luxo-comfy for HOURS.

*Steel diamond LWB 29er, Ti truss fork, tubeless, carbon Jones bars, (and since it's my fantasy, carbon rims)

mtbr member
    Hmmm. I'm a 32" pants... I got the medium sized SWB complete, but it seems a wee bit small. There's a LOT of seatpost sticking out. TBH, I see a lot of Jonses with tall seatposts, but as I fantasize about my next Jones*, I wonder if I should get a bigger frame. My concerns are mostly esthetics; I'm perched on a Thomson seatpost, and the bike is luxo-comfy for HOURS.

*Steel diamond LWB 29er, Ti truss fork, tubeless, carbon Jones bars, (and since it's my fantasy, carbon rims)

At 32" I would say we're borderline and both sizes will 'fit'

BTW - i'm talking 32" rider's inseam - I used a builder's level firmly pushed onto pubis symphysis. I'm 6'3"

I ride the M for the first proper ride today. I'll get my riding buddy to grab a shot of me on the bike - have you got a pic of your bike (for seat post height etc)

I know exactly what you mean HOURS luxo-comfy - the Large was that

Your fantasy Jones sounds nice

two tired
    have you got a pic of your bike (for seat post height etc)
    Are you measuring floor to crotch? I'm a 32 in pants, but almost a 34, floor to pubis

This is from long ride last September

mtbr member
    Are you measuring floor to crotch? I'm a 32 in pants, but almost a 34, floor to pubis

That might seem to figures then - your bars are high too - I don't see many Jones running stem spacers (mine has none)

I would go on the floor to pubis

mtbr member
    I went with the medium as well and itís too small for me (6í1Ē 36Ē inseam). I went off what others my size who had talked to Jeff said he recommended. I figured if it was too small maybe it would be the magic bike comfortable for my wife and fortunately it worked out!

I like the bike but hate how it looks with so many spacers and so much seatpost. Iím also think Iím going back to 29+, not sure that will be a Jones.

mtbr member
    I went with the medium as well and itís too small for me (6í1Ē 36Ē inseam). I went off what others my size who had talked to Jeff said he recommended. I figured if it was too small maybe it would be the magic bike comfortable for my wife and fortunately it worked out!

I like the bike but hate how it looks with so many spacers and so much seatpost. Iím also think Iím going back to 29+, not sure that will be a Jones.
    You My Lord have a disproportionate body (like me, but not he same)!

Giant legs for not so giant body match

With 36" 'legs' a 25" is surely a consideration?

mtbr member
    I know, all legs and arms! Bike fit has always been tough for me.

I would have gone with the 25Ē but wanted it to work for my wife if I wasnít crazy about the wheel size. I live a couple hours from shops so it was just a chance t try out a Jones, which I wanted to try for a while. I like it for some things but prefer 29+ overall. After almost 1000 miles on this bike I am convinced 29+ is better for me. Iím not sure Iím convinced to go for a LWB Jones though at almost the same price as a custom complete from Waltworks.

two tired
    I haven't "let" the wife ride the Jones, but I think she'd love it. I set her up with a hardtail singlespeed years ago and I think she'd appreciate having a simple 1x10 drive train. When I get a LWB, the SWB will be hers.

If you Google Jones bikes images, a LOT of em have a similar long seatpost. It just seems... so... long. I worry about bending the Thomson. (Never even heard of that happening, but...)

I like the 27.5 x3 tires, but 29x 3 sounds amazeballs.

I was riding a Pugsley on the trails until I got the Jones. So, 3 inch tires feel svelte to me.

<Edit> The complete SWB comes with an uncut steerer, so I just set it up at 60%, with the intent to fettle with it. Haven't felt any need to change it. I should prolly cut it down. Save a couple tiny grams...

mtbr member
    Ha! My wife has never been into riding so I really was hoping she would like it. I honestly think it rides great (super stable and comfortable). It is a bit on the heavy side, even compare to my old Surly ECR. I knew it wasnít a long term bike for me because I prefer to simglespeed. So Iím very happy my wife said itís a keeper for her, my ultimate goal!

I would love to be able to demo the LWB for a week. Like I wish for all bikes! Itís really between the LWB or (leaning towards) Waltworks. I just wish I could ride several more for longer than a parking lot so I could nail down what I really prefer. My Mukluk was way more playful than my SWB, not really any slower and quite a bit lighter. Miss that over my SWB just wanted steel over aluminum.

mtbr member

My mate wants one!

Well, first proper ride Sunday and what a surprise difference in the two sizes - 25 to 24"!

Apart from being smaller the ride is quite different too. I slightly jokingly say it feels like an E-bike, in that as soon as you start rolling, whether pedalling or not, you gain speed! I always considered the larger bike rolled well (and it does), folk commented on their impression of seeing me on the bike, but this 24" really does it all so much better.

It's all-round 'faster'. Faster climbing, descending, JRA, 'moves' and changes direction faster too. You don't feel the weight as much.

The only thing that isn't there that was, is a slight reduction in comfort. The 25 is super-uber-comfortable. This 24 may be 'only' just uber-comfortable.

Both have the magic carpet ride comfort quality as is a characteristic of the LWB.

Visually, the 24 looks more like a 'normal' MTB, the 25 slightly more gate-like (to be fair, my too short legs dictated not much seat-post, so take all this bit as is).

I let my riding buddy have a play on the trail and he was blown away. He rides a rigid bike (27.5). 'Pure joy' is what he said later and is now looking at buying one.

Must get another pic - the seat-post has come even further up

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Well a Jones person finally replied to my email about the rear hub engagement (do they read this thread? If so hi there!), said it has 33 points of engagement, which Iím guessing is a typo and they meant 32? Since 360 isnít divisible by 33?

On the issue of fit, I can relate to having a hard time with bike fit. Iím 5í8Ē with a 32Ēish pubic bone height so bike fit is a bitch for me. Long legs and a short torso (and chronic shoulder pain) is what led me to consider the Jones in the first place. The smallest bike I can find (shortest reach really) with tons of seatpost showing and the stem as high as possible is a fact of life for me.

Iíd love it if I could somehow make the 23Ē Jones Complete work for me (with a short stem and seat pushed forward on seatpost) so aesthetically it wouldnít look so wonky and I could fit a bigger frame pack, but Iím almost positive Iíd be more comfortable and happier with the 22Ē instead, even though Iím pretty sure Iíll look like a circus bear on it.

The wife wants to go to Ashland, OR for the Shakespeare festival so Iíll sneak off to the mothership in Talent try to rent or test ride the two sizes before I end up pulling the trigger.

Anyone else my sizish that can report on the difference between the 22Ē and 23Ē?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnewsk View Post
    Well a Jones person finally replied to my email about the rear hub engagement (do they read this thread? If so hi there!), said it has 33 points of engagement, which Iím guessing is a typo and they meant 32? Since 360 isnít divisible by 33?
    An odd number would be unusual, but not impossible. It is the number of teeth in the outer ring that determines PoE. Some designs employ 2 sets of pawls (6 in total, like an a and B team, bitex for example) to double the effective PoE), or have pawls with 2 click points (i9).

It is more a touring bike, so 32, 36, or 33 would be OK.

I'm contemplating a Jones as well, but since they use 27.2mm seatpost the dropper choice is limited and expensive. I recently bought a 170mm dropper on my 30.9mm fatbike and can't imagine to ever use a 125mm (for 3 times the price) dropper with 27.2. So the Jones isn't for hard offroading, hence the low PoE will suffice. (I realize PoE helps uphill, and dropper downhill)

poser Administrator
    An odd number would be unusual, but not impossible. It is the number of teeth in the outer ring that determines PoE. Some designs employ 2 sets of pawls (6 in total, like an a and B team, bitex for example) to double the effective PoE), or have pawls with 2 click points (i9).

It is more a touring bike, so 32, 36, or 33 would be OK.

I'm contemplating a Jones as well, but since they use 27.2mm seatpost the dropper choice is limited and expensive. I recently bought a 170mm dropper on my 30.9mm fatbike and can't imagine to ever use a 125mm (for 3 times the price) dropper with 27.2. So the Jones isn't for hard offroading, hence the low PoE will suffice. (I realize PoE helps uphill, and dropper downhill)
    Yeah, no. It can certainly be built up like a touring/gravel grinder but it is a very capable rigid AM bike as well. Certainly one only has to look at how Jeff Jones rides his to see that it can be much more than the sum of its parts. I use the PNW dropper on mine and it is both economical and adequate for the needs of the bike. I doubt that if you needed a 170mm you would find it would fit on this bike anyway. It is not a low slung full suspension bike one can cram a 170mm post in. I am 5'10 and could only get a PNW 110mm post in. Someone taller than me might be able to get a 125mm post in but at that length I would be afraid for the posts anyway.

The good thing about the bike is that you need to ride a rigid bike on technical terrain different than a full suspension bike anyway and while a dropper is helpful it isn't mandatory as you are not going to be winning the enduro world cup on it, but instead just having a huge amount of fun riding over whatever terrain you can find in a slower more methodical method more suited to a rigid all mountain bike.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    A note on the POE, itís higher than any other stock build Iíve ridden. Closer to my I9 than a stock salsa hub. I find it very decent.

The bike excels at tech riding at lower speeds in my opinion. Most stable bike Iíve been on. And the traction with chronicles is at least as good as my fat bike was with a knard. Iíve never ridden a dropper but I havenít found it necessary for my riding especially with how balanced this bike is. Just wish I bought the large! And maybe it could shed 6-7lbs...

Jones (Jeff Jones)-196c2fed-4511-4626-8e10-9b1bb69c1f94.jpg

mtbr member
    Hi

I'm considering to install a PD-8X-110

http://www.sp-dynamo.com/8Xseriesdynamo hub.html

with the following MTBTools Hub Adapter:
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F252455527829
    that will convert a 110x15 hub to 142x15 hub width to use on my Truss fork.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rasidi View Post
    Hi

I'm considering to install a PD-8X-110

http://www.sp-dynamo.com/8Xseriesdynamo hub.html

with the following MTBTools Hub Adapter:
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F252455527829
    that will convert a 110x15 hub to 142x15 hub width to use on my Truss fork.

Thoughts?

I had a dyno on my last bike and I might have another set up for my new bike, very nice to have lights just come on when commuting. That said, I wouldnít personally trust a spacer kit. I ride reasonably aggressive though. If you are mostly touring and regular dirt riding it might work well.

I honestly love my Anker battery pack and regular lights just as much, if not more at times than my son dyno hub. Charges my phone super fast vs maintaining it at best. Dyno was great but Iím not sure Iíd sacrifice (possibly) reliability for it.

mtbr member
    I had a dyno on my last bike and I might have another set up for my new bike, very nice to have lights just come on when commuting. That said, I wouldnít personally trust a spacer kit. I ride reasonably aggressive though. If you are mostly touring and regular dirt riding it might work well.

I honestly love my Anker battery pack and regular lights just as much, if not more at times than my son dyno hub. Charges my phone super fast vs maintaining it at best. Dyno was great but Iím not sure Iíd sacrifice (possibly) reliability for it.
    Thanks for the reply.

Interesting point on the spacer kit.

I have another Rabbit Hole rim for a spare wheel for this idea.

So I'm going to read up on the hub spacer/adapter kits and go on from there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Anyone 5'7' or so on a 23" lwb? I have short legs but based on TT length and my other bikes this wouldn't be much different, even an inch shorter TT than my current bike. Stand over will be tight to say the least.
    Joey

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson1417 View Post
    Anyone 5'7' or so on a 23" lwb? I have short legs but based on TT length and my other bikes this wouldn't be much different, even an inch shorter TT than my current bike. Stand over will be tight to say the least.
    Joey
    Hi
    Are you asking about Jones 23" spaceframe LWB 29+?
    If so I'm 5'6" in the old measurements.
    I did have one of the 1st 24" LWB 29+ and it was too big.
    Ask away.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

... and if we just ...

Hi
    Are you asking about Jones 23" spaceframe LWB 29+?
    If so I'm 5'6" in the old measurements.
    I did have one of the 1st 24" LWB 29+ and it was too big.
    Ask away.

I read that it was too big for you. Peter what about it was too big for you? The stand over? What is your inseam?

At 5'7" with a 28.5" inseam I figure it will be close for me. Again, based on TT length and TT of other owned bikes I think it will work when I'm in the saddle. I was able to test ride a medium SWB and it was perfect for me. The 1" difference in TT length can be made up for in a stem. JJ says he's had riders down to 5'2'' on the 24 LWB, obviously not ideal.

I always loved the LWB concept when he released it a sthe "Plus", but when the SWB came out i got fired up about a build as I had almost all the parts to build one up. As I get closer to the build I realized the SWB will be too much overlap to my other 27+ bike. For What I want it for 29+ makes more sense, Long dirt road rides and bikepacking, some commuting. I'm sure I"ll spin it on the local trails every now and then, but I have a great bike for that, Advocate Hayduke, and wifes Stache.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson1417 View Post
    I read that it was too big for you. Peter what about it was too big for you? The stand over? What is your inseam?

At 5'7" with a 28.5" inseam I figure it will be close for me. Again, based on TT length and TT of other owned bikes I think it will work when I'm in the saddle. I was able to test ride a medium SWB and it was perfect for me. The 1" difference in TT length can be made up for in a stem. JJ says he's had riders down to 5'2'' on the 24 LWB, obviously not ideal.

I always loved the LWB concept when he released it a sthe "Plus", but when the SWB came out i got fired up about a build as I had almost all the parts to build one up. As I get closer to the build I realized the SWB will be too much overlap to my other 27+ bike. For What I want it for 29+ makes more sense, Long dirt road rides and bikepacking, some commuting. I'm sure I"ll spin it on the local trails every now and then, but I have a great bike for that, Advocate Hayduke, and wifes Stache.
    Hi
    I was just ok over the toptube on the 24" LWB 29+.
    It's the reach that was too long.
    The riding position is completely different to a more much more standard bike fit.
    In a standard mountain bike fit I ride a Large Specialized Stumpjumper and and on a Jones I'm a small!
    Yes my Jones is a 23" LWB Spaceframe 29+.
    Phone up Jeff with your sizing measurements and he will love to help you.
    All the best

two tired
    More frame size ruminations...

I'm this close ( this close: >< ) to pulling the trigger on a LWB plus frameset. With truss fork, thanks for asking.

I have the SWB Complete in medium, and I think it's on the small side for a few reasons.

The frame sizes on the Jones website are a little obtuse. I've spoken with Jeff about sizing and it seems I'm a med/lg 'tweener.

Question: anybody in the Seattle area have a LWB plus that I could straddle for fit. Med or Lg would be fine for my purposes.

Failing that, real world standover height at mid top tube would be super helpful.

Thanks, yours in plus,
    Todd

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    More frame size ruminations...

I'm this close ( this close: >< ) to pulling the trigger on a LWB plus frameset. With truss fork, thanks for asking.

I have the SWB Complete in medium, and I think it's on the small side for a few reasons.

The frame sizes on the Jones website are a little obtuse. I've spoken with Jeff about sizing and it seems I'm a med/lg 'tweener.

Question: anybody in the Seattle area have a LWB plus that I could straddle for fit. Med or Lg would be fine for my purposes.

Failing that, real world standover height at mid top tube would be super helpful.

Thanks, yours in plus,
    Todd

I'm not in Seattle but I took a quick measurement of my 24" LWB plus and the standover at mid top tube height is ~800 mm.

What are your reasons for thinking the 23" complete SWB is too small, and how tall are you?

At 1.82 m tall I'm probably between sizes as well - I own a 23" original steel spaceframe and an original 24" Plus. I would say they're quite close in terms of top tube sizing and had them set up very similarly.

two tired
    I'm not in Seattle but I took a quick measurement of my 24" LWB plus and the standover at mid top tube height is ~800 mm.

What are your reasons for thinking the 23" complete SWB is too small, and how tall are you?

At 1.82 m tall I'm probably between sizes as well - I own a 23" original steel spaceframe and an original 24" Plus. I would say they're quite close in terms of top tube sizing and had them set up very similarly.
    Hey thanks for the measurement! Just to be clear, the 24" LWB plus is aka medium, right? (If you're watching this in black and white, that's 31.5 inches - precisely what the Jones website says)

My exposed seatpost is 10.5 inches, clamp to rails. I see a lot of tall seatposts on Jones bikes, including the bikes Jeff J rides. However, I am a big guy, 250 lbs, and that much "set back" seatpost worries me, even a burly Thomson. I am 6' 2", and I like to stretch out a bit. Also, the stack height and short head tube seem at odds. I also want more room in the main triangle for bottles and bags. I have no complaints with the comfort of my med SWB plus, even after all day. I'm hip to the "Jones geometry differences, but open to the possibility that either size may work for me.

I've talked with J.J. about frame fit, and while he won't say the med is too small, he allows that the large will probably work as well.

I'm just doing due diligence. I plan to ride this bike for the rest of my life.

Thanks, again. I have other bikes that fit very well, and I will use that standover height to compare.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hey thanks for the measurement! Just to be clear, the 24" LWB plus is aka medium, right? (If you're watching this in black and white, that's 31.5 inches - precisely what the Jones website says)

My exposed seatpost is 10.5 inches, clamp to rails. I see a lot of tall seatposts on Jones bikes, including the bikes Jeff J rides. However, I am a big guy, 250 lbs, and that much "set back" seatpost worries me, even a burly Thomson. I am 6' 2", and I like to stretch out a bit. Also, the stack height and short head tube seem at odds. I also want more room in the main triangle for bottles and bags. I have no complaints with the comfort of my med SWB plus, even after all day. I'm hip to the "Jones geometry differences, but open to the possibility that either size may work for me.

I've talked with J.J. about frame fit, and while he won't say the med is too small, he allows that the large will probably work as well.

I'm just doing due diligence. I plan to ride this bike for the rest of my life.

Thanks, again. I have other bikes that fit very well, and I will use that standover height to compare.

All good, glad to help. Yes, the 24" LWB plus is a medium.

My Dad, who is about your height got a large LWB plus last year and is very happy with the bike. Probably the most noticeable difference in fit between the sizes is the stack height - the head tube on the large frame is quite a bit taller. He ended up setting the bike up with the bars quite low, from memory with no spacers on top of the truss clamp to get it to feel right - but it is a better fit for him than the medium frames.

Either size bike handles really well so I don't think you'll go wrong either way!

mtbr member
    For reference, I'm 6'3" with a 32" saddle height (bottom bracket axle to top of seat), and I'm quite comfortable on my large/25" LWB:

Jones (Jeff Jones)-img_0861.jpg

two tired
    For reference, I'm 6'3" with a 32" saddle height (bottom bracket axle to top of seat), and I'm quite comfortable on my large/25" LWB:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0861.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	440.0 KB 
ID:	1240139
    I have a pic upstream, in this thread, of my SWB ^^

two tired

@seat_boy

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    After I read the LWB Medium Black has the updated pinch style BB, time to reconsider building up a frame.
    I just wish I could ride one first.

mtbr member
    My LWB came with the old Bushnell EBB, even though it was a newer model with the unicrown fork. So apparently there's some mixing going on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    My LWB came with the old Bushnell EBB, even though it was a newer model with the unicrown fork. So apparently there's some mixing going on.
    I would be fine with older style BB. If my riding habits changed over the years, the newer style BB might help with resale.
    I have made an effort to curb my impulse buying. Not liking the bike after I built one up is keeping me from buying one. So, riding a LWB/truss fork is important. One thing everyone says who owns a Jones is 'it's different, not like any other bike I've had.' That is not enough for me to go on. I have grown tired of reselling stuff, especially large items like a bike or frame.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure if this hurts or helps, but I'm pretty serious serial bike flipper. I bought an original Jones Plus with the truss fork, sold it for some reason (oh yeah, money), but then missed it and bought a second LWB with the unicrown fork late last year. Now if my wandering eye starts looking at a new mountain bike, I ask myself, "what would this do better than my Jones?" And the answer is always "nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by Slowhead View Post
    I would be fine with older style BB. If my riding habits changed over the years, the newer style BB might help with resale.
    I have made an effort to curb my impulse buying. Not liking the bike after I built one up is keeping me from buying one. So, riding a LWB/truss fork is important. One thing everyone says who owns a Jones is 'it's different, not like any other bike I've had.' That is not enough for me to go on. I have grown tired of reselling stuff, especially large items like a bike or frame.

two tired
    ...missed it and bought a second LWB with the unicrown fork...
    On the cusp of getting the LWB plus... Wot's your preference: truss vs unicrown?

Stiff vs bit of boing? Mounts on fork legs? Weight?

I'm leaning heavily towards Truss, cuz JONES!. Stiffness, weight (slightly lighter), but the Unicrown has its charms.
    Thx
    T

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

dropper post

So I have been pondering about this bike for moths now and warm up to it more. but one design feature really bothers me: the 27.2 mm seatpost

Since I like to use it for regular path riding AND simple single track (green diamond, very few blue diamond) I think I need a dropper post. However, the 27.2mm external posts are rare, expensive, plagued by technical problems (due to size i assume) and not available for 150mm.

For some context I recently added a 170mm dropper to my fatbike (going over the same trails I envision with the Jones) and it absolutely transformed riding. I have long legs, I'm 5'11". I could settle for 150mm travel, but 125, or even 110mm really sounds too small. I know, 1st world problem compared to not having a dropper at all, but once you had 170mm, you don't go back.

I know Jeff advertises the 27.2mm rigid seatpost to have more flex, which makes sense on a rigid bike. But the Jones bikes were designed in a time before droppers were ubiquitous. It also seems most Jones owners have rigid seatposts.

Does anyone think Jeff will come out with a revised frame for a larger more common dropper seatpost diameter? Maybe I'm the lonely voice if the majority of people use this bike for touring etc.

I rode my fatbike without dropper for a year and didn't think I need one. But boy was I wrong. I use it all the time, I also use the full travel (on ice patches to ride it like a strider etc.). So this dropper issue is a big deal to me. I'm not a great MTB rider, and the dropper gives me a lot of confidence.

One saving thought I have that one can live with less dropper travel because the Jones has the saddle further back, so it is out of the way more. not sure before trying, lol, but rather have the option to install more travel and not using it than building a whole new $2K bike and realizing I need more dropper travel.

mtbr member
    I really can't compare the stiffness of the unicrown vs. the truss, since I haven't ridden them back to back. I had maybe a year of Jones-less time between them.

That being said, I don't notice the unicrown being especially flexy or comfortable or not stiff enough. Being shorter, it's probably stiffer than the typical rigid fork on my other bikes, a 465mm Salsa, but I don't really notice that, either.

I like the unicrown because it looks better to me than the truss, and it's cheaper and easier to set up. I also have a pet theory that it steers a bit quicker than the truss, since the weight is more centralized and closer to the steering axis, but I think that's mostly due to the lighter front wheel (carbon rim) on my new Jones.

On the cusp of getting the LWB plus... Wot's your preference: truss vs unicrown?

Stiff vs bit of boing? Mounts on fork legs? Weight?

I'm leaning heavily towards Truss, cuz JONES!. Stiffness, weight (slightly lighter), but the Unicrown has its charms.
    Thx
    T

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Any Jones bikes in southern New Hampshire? Iíve got a buddy in Peterborough who is thinking of a Jones Plus but wants to ride one. Itís a bit far to go to test ride mine in VA.
    I can promise a donation of the intoxicant of your choice in exchange for a test ride. Thanks.

two tired
    Jones LWB & steel truss fork, pantone 7621. Waiting on more parts and wheels.
    Me = impatient.

puts the FU in fun
    Does anyone know of any half frame bags that will work with a Jones diamond frame? I'd like to retain both water bottle cages on the downtube, but I don't think most half frame bags like the Revelate Tangle will clear the top one with a bottle in it. I don't really need a full frame bag for most of my riding. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Edit: I know this isn't what you asked but I can't delete the post, so I'll leave this here --

I've been using the Blackburn Outpost frame bag (size L) on a diamond frame (23" tt). It's a great fit. When zipped closed it's a half-frame bag and one of the upper cages is accessible.
    Last edited by david.p; 03-13-2019 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Missed looking for both upper cages

two tired
    Here's my finished build:
    Lg red steel diamond frame and truss fork
    Carbon wheelset from Indigenous Wheel Co. Maxxis Chronicles 29X3 TR (tubeless/Stans)
    SRAM GX Eagle 1X12, 32T 10-50 cassette
    Origin8 Vise mech/hydro calipers
    XT SPDs
    Selle Anatomica boat anchor saddle
    Paul Components Love Levers
    Sub-28 lbs sans

two tired
    I dunno why my pix won't post, but you can see a buncha photos here:
    https://flic.kr/s/aHsmBKc9t7

Dab-O-Matic
    I dunno why my pix won't post, but you can see a buncha photos here:
    https://flic.kr/s/aHsmBKc9t7

Very nice! Love the Fe (iron) badge! What does she weigh?
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    Cannondale Black Di2/disk (roadie)
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

two tired
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    ...What does she weigh?
    Sub-28 lbs as shown. My singlespeed Surly 1x1 is about the same. I love this bike like a 9 year-old girl loves a pony.

two tired

Jones LWB plus Steel Diamond/Truss build, Lg, RED!

Let's try again....

Carbon wheelset from Indigenous Wheel Co. Maxxis Chronicles 29X3 TR (tubeless/Stans)
    XT SPDs
    Sub-28 lbs sans saddle/ H-bar bags

I dunno why I can't upload any photos, but you can see all the pix here:
    Fred

puts the FU in fun
    Let's try again....

XT SPDs
    Sub-28 lbs sans saddle/ H-bar bags

I dunno why I can't upload any photos, but you can see all the pix here:
    Fred
    Beautiful build! And while those Selle Anatomica saddles are heavy enough to anchor a cruise ship, they're the most comfortable saddles I've ever tried and totally worth the weight.

mtbr member

Loop H-Bars Bag

I'm looking at getting a barss bag

I would like to carry a gillet and Surly's Moloko looks like it might be fit for purpose

Anyone tried one, and can all the hand positions still be used?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Stolen Jones Found

Saw this on the gram, posting it here for visibility. Anyone know who this might belong to?

Jones (Jeff Jones)-image-ios.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12