Jones H-Bars- Mtbr.com

Thread: Jones H-Bars

Mar 2005

Jones H-Bars

I am currently having an Independent Fabrications steel deluxe built up as a single-speed 29'er. I thought I had my build settled and then I ran across the Jones H-Bar. Anybody have any experience with these? It looks as if there would be numerous hand placement options on those really long grinding rides. How do they hold up to the rider torqueing (is that a word?) them on climbs? Are they flexy? Any responses would sorely (or is that surely) be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Perhaps try the 29er and singlespeed boards - try a search.

Quite a few of those guys like them but they have to be placed higher and further forward than riser bars. Typically that means a longer stem with more rise - or if you're keen - a bike designed specifically for them.
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

Dr. Beat
    Jan 2006
    Definitely use the 'Search' option in the forums. Lots of useful info. Lots of folks recommend changing to longer stem with more rise. If your switching from a riser handlebar, the H-bar is flat , so you'll need to make up the height with a stem or spacers. Other aficionados have had custom bikes built with a longer steering tube to accomodate the H-bars specs. Increasing stem length is more controversial and Jones, the man, (I think) doesn't necessarily recommend this. There is a definite trial-and-error break in period. Oh yeah, these titanium beauties will set you back about $250, but boy are they pretty. Finally, will need longer brake cables if switching from traditional handlebar. Check out wwww.jonesbikes.com

mtbr member
    i went from flat bars (custom 25" seven ti bars) on a 120mm 8 degree rise stem with 5mm spacer, and an inline post, to same stem, 10mm spacer, h bars and a layback post and couldnt be happier...

when i got my new 29er IF i had everything made as if i was comparing to my last bike, and again used layback and same length stem...

personally i think they are fantastic. you do need to play with the angle they are set at and the height to get them to be at their best, which again in my opnion is best of the best...

not flexy but seem to take out some buzz. the cork grips are great but take awhile to break in. with a decent stem (thomson/ritchey/seven so far in my own use) no issues with spinning. I am just about to use a shimmed pair on a 31.8mm clamp thomson x4 on the new one and ill let you know.

if you can try them, great. but again, beware it takes a little effort to get them just so!. if not ride with ar ends and see if you like using them perhaps to give some idea. i ride technical and occasional short xc races long slow rides on a singlespeed road bike and long rides and endurance races (100km-100mile-24 hrs solo) on them and love them.

ok
    For a rock steady Gas Tank bag > the DeWidget

bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

https://www.instagram.com/drj0n_bagworks/

Mar 2005

Jones H-bars

Well, the riders on these boards helped me make up my mind. I spec'd the H-bar today. My LBS consulted with Indy Fab on the proper stem length and rise so I think everything will be OK For now I guess that I will just have to continue to ride my Moto-lite until it gets here (12 week wait or so I've been told) I can't wait. I think it is going to be a sweet ride

mtbr member

Mar 2005
    thanks guys

mtbr member
    The H-bars are sweet.

Things to note:

• One potential negative point is the inability to use trigger shifters, but you're running a single speed bike, so a none issue.
    • You will need a longer stem to compensate for the backward sweep of the grip area. I went from a 90mm stem riser bar setup to a 120mm stem with a Jones bar.
    • Increased stability in slow tech sections
    • Recommend a 4 bolt stem face place like a Thomson or Raceface
    • Wrist discomfort goes away, can ride all day
    • Curved front extentions are good for street and climbs only, too narrow and unstable for rough sections
    • Great craftsmanship and support from Jeff
    • Other riders will stop you on the trails and ask you about your weird handlbars
    I'd rather be riding my bike...

Baby Bear is in the house

on the contrary

Pics are from Jeff himself.

Quote Originally Posted by meat tooth paste
    The H-bars are sweet.

Things to note:
    • One potential negative point is the inability to use trigger shifters
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rigel
    Sweet!

Did El Jefe send you a photo of the front or side view? I am curious to see how far the brake lever is now since it's slide more forward.
    I'd rather be riding my bike...

mtbr member

Shifters?

Quote Originally Posted by rigel
    What brand of shifter?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stan lee
    What brand of shifter?
    They are SRAM X0 Shifters, Paul Thumbies and Dura-ace also work well on the H-Bars too...

Baby Bear is in the house

more pics

Here ya go. 'hope this is what you're looking for...

Quote Originally Posted by meat tooth paste
    Sweet!

Did El Jefe send you a photo of the front or side view? I am curious to see how far the brake lever is now since it's slide more forward.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

breathing helium
    I'm hoping with the "Matchmaker" that SRAM makes now (to allow you to use the shifters and brakes on a single bracket) will make using trigger shifters on the H-Bars even easier. I should have mine this week. I'll check back after I get them setup.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I also tried the H-bar with Sram X.O but it's just not as good as Shimano STI's. To shift you have to more your hand way forward to touch the shifter.
    Willing to try Paul thumbies, but no experience so far.

mtbr member

They do work pretty well with Paul Thumbies, my only complaint is that they get in the way a little when you need to use the extensions...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cocheese
    I'm hoping with the "Matchmaker" that SRAM makes now (to allow you to use the shifters and brakes on a single bracket) will make using trigger shifters on the H-Bars even easier. I should have mine this week. I'll check back after I get them setup.
    Hey Cocheese, how did the matchmaker turn out on the H-Bars? Thanks.
    Chimay: nectar of the gods
    Macallan: sweet ambrosia

breathing helium
    lushmd,

I'm sorry, I haven't gotten around to it yet. The bike is at the shop being built up as we speak. It's got regular riser bars on it now and I'm going to change it to the H Bars after I get it home. (The guys up there make fun of me for my "weird" bars.)

The Matchmakers are very cool though. (For those that don't know, the Matchamkers allow you to mount both your Avid Juicy brake levers AND Avid trigger shifters on a sinlge post or mount. Pretty cool if you ask me.) There are lots of options with the placement of the shifters on the bar. They are interchangeable in order to get more inboard or outboard clearance vs. the brake lever. I can see how they would work well with the H Bars, but something tells me that I might need a longer brake lever on order to give enough finger space between the shifters and the lever if I were to run the shifters towards the outermost point. Sheesh! That sounds confusing!!! I'll post some pics later on this week. I think that will clarify what I am talking about.

mtbr member

Jones + XTR

Has anyone come across H bars set up with the new XTR shifters? I know they are adjustable and it looks like it would work.

breathing helium
    As it turns out, my brake lines are not long enough to accomidate the more forward position of the HBars. I'm going to try it as a temporary project tomorrow, just to see how well the Matchmakers work with the HBars. I've got my fingers crossed because the regular riser bars I used were killing my hands. Guess I grew accustom to that wacky bars?!?!

breathing helium
    Well, as I suspected I could not get the brake line to reach with the HBars. I mounted the shifters and brakes levers using the Matchmaker and tried to get some pics of it. I'm not going to say that they are much better or not. I'd have to have them mounted and riding to make the final call. The fact that you can rotate them to push the shifters towards the outermost position seems promising though.

Here are photos showing the two different positions with the Matchmakers. If any one has any suggestions, please fire away. I might email these to Jeff as well to see what his take is on it.

breathing helium
    option 2

breathing helium
    Looking at those pics I should be a hand model.

(Ever seen that Seinfeld episode?)

Dr. Beat
    Jan 2006
    Option 1 looks more ergo on your thumb.

breathing helium
    Well, in the end I don't think that the Matchmakers do anything that the regular clamps don't already accomplish. Maybe the new XTR triggers will offer enough adjustment to get the shifters in the right position.

Members who have read this thread: 0